Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
No no, it runs the game in UE5 container with basic UE5 lighting what I mean is the current stuff with Nanite, Lumen, Cahso destruction and Niagara effects, cloth deformation, new animations and so on.

Digital Foundry has a video that has the Steam Deck running Fortnite with nanite and lumen and getting 30 fps after the upscale and they had to do a lot of stuff to get the game running and the software lumen was bugged so they had to use hardware lumen. A version targeting Switch 2 shouldn't have any problem running.

UE5 is heavy and I'd expect it to have necessary compromises on Switch but you should be able to use most of the feature set.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
  • Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.
    • Lines up with what Digital Foundry & NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).
* = Not only is the Switch 2 ARM-based rather than x86 like the systems compared, it's also Nvidia vs. AMD. There are plenty of factors at play to where it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus the native Tensor cores of the Switch 2 will allow for DLSS, letting the system punch above its weight & decrease the size of the gap between it & the XSS. Nintendo could throttle down the SoC to the floor, but I'm not sure it'll be a doomsday scenario since this is a custom chip to begin with.
Isn't the ram slower than even PS4? I don't see how this can be better than PS4 Pro even before DLSS (which will also eat bandwidth).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.
    • Lines up with what Digital Foundry & NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).
* = Not only is the Switch 2 ARM-based rather than x86 like the systems compared, it's also Nvidia vs. AMD. There are plenty of factors at play to where it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus the native Tensor cores of the Switch 2 will allow for DLSS, letting the system punch above its weight & decrease the size of the gap between it & the XSS. Nintendo could throttle down the SoC to the floor, but I'm not sure it'll be a doomsday scenario since this is a custom chip to begin with.
this is very exciting.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Holy shit. Way higher than I expected.

Man, why the hell can't this thing have an OLED at launch?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
No, it will be much faster than the PS4.
Based on Monster Hunter Wilds which is supposedly running on Switch 2, then it will perform about on par with PS4. There won't be miracles with such low bandwidth IMHO. Compared to Switch it will be next-gen, sure, but you guys need to stay realistic about this thing. It is a new Nintendo hardware designed to run Animal Crossing, Mario and Zelda.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Based on Monster Hunter Wilds which is supposedly running on Switch 2, then it will perform about on par with PS4. There won't be miracles with such low bandwidth IMHO. Compared to Switch it will be next-gen, sure, but you guys need to stay realistic about this thing. It is a new Nintendo hardware designed to run Animal Crossing, Mario and Zelda.

I don't see how emphasizing 'Nintendo' means this hardware with faster and more RAM, better CPU, and more modern GPU than the PS4 will somehow perform on par with it, and I don't recall any evidence that footage of Wilds was running on a Switch 2.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to see those specs 👁️👁️

From the generalization though it sounds pretty impressive, certainly wasn't expecting it to be that close to current-gen console hardware. I'm not even sure next-gen would be too much of a worry when it comes to cross-platform ports, I feel most games aren't gonna really push the envelope too much merely due to budgetary limits anyway.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Sounds impressive. Given the magic Nintendo have been able to pull with OG Switch hardware, I can't wait to see what their in-house teams can do with this kind of spec bump.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Monster Hunter Wilds was not running on the Switch 2 and based on the leaked spec sheet, I don't see how you came to this conclusion when practically all signs point to it being more powerful than a PS4/PS4 Pro.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
After the Switch 1's success, if you really think Nintendo does not care about third parties and they only want a system to run first party games only, let me tell you that you are wrong

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So has speculation started on what "impossible ports" might happen?

I think popular games that already support last-gen are a shoo-in: Street Fighter VI, RE4 Remake, P3 Reload, Warzone 2.0, Siege, Diablo IV, etc. I don't know yet if RGG studio is on board with bringing LAD to a Nintendo system even if it can run the games.

Regarding "impossible" current-gen games though, I don't think GTA VI is happening. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk and BG3 showed up though, just based on how well the Steam Deck handles those games.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So has speculation started on what "impossible ports" might happen?

I think popular games that already support last-gen are a shoo-in: Street Fighter VI, RE4 Remake, P3 Reload, Warzone 2.0, Siege, Diablo IV, etc. I don't know yet if RGG studio is on board with bringing LAD to a Nintendo system even if it can run the games.

Regarding "impossible" current-gen games though, I don't think GTA VI is happening. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk and BG3 showed up though, just based on how well the Steam Deck handles those games.

Elden Ring?

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is this looking to be RT capable?

Oct 25, 2017
That's the other Switch 2 thread!

k2ZUy.png