• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Apologies I listened to this work and can't do a detailed write up, but this is very interesting discussion and info being shared. I also apologize if NateDrake does not want a dedicated thread about this due to the ever changing nature of info like this but I am really itching for a good Switch 2 discussion so hopefully its fine

Here are the major takeaways (if I understood correctly while multitasking lol)

- No longer sounds like a Switch Pro but a Switch 2/Switch 4k based on what was learned, it all depends on how the marketing presents the product
- 4k will be achieved through DLSS
- Big publishers/developers got the devkits late 2020 with smaller ones getting them this year
- MOD EDIT: Dataminers have suggested that the Switch 4k/Succ will have challenges with being natively backwards compatible because of hardware differences, but MVG suggests Nintendo has options to pursue backwards compatibility.
- Devs are working on exclusives, some PS/Xbox ports
- Devs are targeting their games being "done" by late 2022, but a game being done doesn't necessarily mean thats when it releases for various reasons.
- Hears it will release within Holiday 2022 - Early 2023 period, within those 6 months (supply constraints make it hard to know exactly when it is possible, meaning could miss holiday season)

Again, some really juicy stuff and I thought it is worth a dedicated thread

-

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust insiders anymore, but if this is true

As of right now it is not naively BC with the Switch 1 due to it being different hardware and lacking TX1, but there are ways around it, depends on what Nintendo will do

Nintendo can fuck all the way off.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Call it the Switch U so people will know to avoid it.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yo I'm not sure there's ever been a system that really needs to be backwards compatible more than Switch 2. They better figure that out.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I legitimately don't believe they would not have full BC. None of the big companies are going to do that anymore.

EDIT: To be clear I am not saying this report is faulty or unbelievable, just expressing that I don't think Nintendo will ship without BC.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're getting BotW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 at 4k, I'm all for it!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a very hard time believing Nintendo would go back on the many, many things they've said highlighting the importance of the Switch as a single unified platform moving forward. They know it's extremely important to both their users and their business partners and will ensure it will happen. I assume this is just a situation where the current firmware or dev tools aren't capable of running Switch games natively, which given it's more than a year out at the very minimum isn't that odd

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I totally expect Nintendo to sell 4K ports of BotW, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread, et al. for $70 and for people to eat it up regardless.

Nintendo totally took the same lesson from the failures of the Wii U and 3DS that Sony took from the PS3:
  • BC expensive
  • Can make more money reselling people games they already own
  • Therefor, no more BC forever and ever

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Nate has ever said it's straight up not backwards compatible, just that it would be a challenge to make it work which is normal since it's gonna be a brand new SOC

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't release a non BC product in late 2022/2023. Especially when something like Splatoon 3 is out next year and that'll be supported for a while. If this is true, probably just a current limitation that won't matter at release.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well if it's not backwards compatible then at least we'll have years of whining for 4K Switch ports lmao

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's suicide if it's not BC. I absolutely need to be able to download my digital Switch library on this thing day 1.

Dec 5, 2017
I'm what world could they call it a switch pro or a switch 4k without it being BC?

It would have to be a "new device". Literally nuts

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Holiday 2022 sounds super premature for a sequel console (especially if it is not BC). There would just seem to be no logical reason why Nintendo would cut the Switch off at the knees like that given how well it is still selling, that it has yet to get a real price cut, and that the OLED launched. It makes about 0 sense as a business decision. Late 2023 seems more believable.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No BC would be fucking massive. Not saying I wouldn't buy the system, but I would never buy a digital game from them again, that's for sure. I know it's Nintendo, but so blatantly ignoring the competition at that level would be insane, even for them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There is zero chance it won't be BC, Nintendo will move mountains to make it so.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the rumor having Nintendo partnered with NVidia again? If that's the case, no BC sounds very unlikely.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Would be an absolute dumpster fire if it isn't BC. If they are going that route, drop the Switch name

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
End 2022 would be great. I wonder what chip shortages will mean for the supply.

No BC would make for interesting times on the internet...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would there be BC when Nintendo can re-release all their Switch games as 4K remasters for $60?

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
That release timeline sounds like complete bullshit. No way we get a successor console any sooner than holiday 2023 at the very earliest.

Also, after years of having at least 1 gen prior backwards compatibility with their cartridge based systems (Game Boy, DS, 3DS), there's no way they don't have backwards compatibility for Switch 2/Succesor.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Same as everyone else. I bought more games for the switch than any other console trusting that Nintendo would make future consoles BC. If that's not the case I'm out.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Was a matter of time expected 2022/23, Switch released 2017 so good time for their next console
I refuse to believe there won't be BC

Last edited: