• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Rocket League in 30fps? I can't imagine anyone wanting to use that.

Rocket League on the go. I can imagine EVERYONE wanting that.

Regardless, this is great. It's nice to see developers taking time to maximize performance after release instead of just doing what they can to get out at launch and cut ties afterwards.

Edit, oh this isn't just for handheld mode. Interesting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh even the performance mode will be a leap... Wonder how they're managing that?

Hope they don't take Shadows from docked mode too!

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Daily reminder not to always assume that games perform/look like crap because of system limitations. Anyway, this is an incredible boost!

Oct 25, 2017
900p 60fps is a nice option.
I felt people were giving Panic Button too much credit that 720p Rocket League was the most we could expect from Switch.

Huh even the performance mode will be a leap... Wonder how they're managing that?

Hope they don't take Shadows from docked mode too!
Taking the time to optimize is my assumption.

Panic Button knee deep in DOOM and Rocket League development at the same time. I think DOOM would benefit a ton from a performance boost.

I felt people were giving Panic Button too much credit that 720p Rocket League was the most we could expect from Switch.
This. And pending on how this all turns out (can't wait for the DF vid), this shows that the Switch can hold it's own even more against the more powerful consoles if proper time is taken for optimization.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Wow ... they are trying to further improve the switch version... and keep ignoring Xbox One X enhancement.

Yeah, they said (a long time ago) they are working on it ... but it looks it is not their priority anymore.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Am I correct in assuming that Performance or Quality mode is something I can choose between? If so, give me 60 FPS goodness.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Same with the DOOM port. 720p docked 20-30fps with frame pacing is not good no matter what the specs are.

Nice to see 30fps/60fps options even on the non-Pro consoles though. Options are great even if Rocket League would be awful at 30.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a battery option so I can get the most life out of it before needing to charge

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see what infrequent means in regards to dynamic scaling. I've seen some screenshots of current rocket league that gets appallingly low, can they really make such a huge change?

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Wow ... they are trying to further improve the switch version... and keep ignoring Xbox One X enhancement.

Yeah, they said (a long time ago) they are working on it ... but it looks it is not their priority anymore.
It's best to prioritize your investment on where you're more likely to see bigger growth.
Switch is the new hotness right now with rapidly growing install base, with owners who are eager to buy many of the games on the platform.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Makes you wonder how that Rocket League port was ever pushed out in the first place if they can raise the bar that much with a few extra months of work on it.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It seems like Panic Button is getting mood used to the Switch. Which is good, I'd like to see them beyond more games to the switch.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I've ever even been remotely bothered by the looks so far, but it's been a while since I've played it on any other platform. Maybe this will show me what I'm missing.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I know it's probably out of their hands in many ways, but, assuming Panic Button is still handling this version, Rocket League getting two performance focused updates before Doom even gets one to fix the bugs alone has me a little miffed.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Presumably there's no dynamic resolution for 30fps mode?
I imagine it would look pretty good on a small screen at native res.
They dont wanna pull it down to 30 for Crossplay purposes. At this rate, moving the game to Unreal Engine 4 would make sense for them. It was kinda hard for PB since Rocket League uses Unreal 3 which has no native support for the Switch.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They dont wanna pull it down to 30 for Crossplay purposes. At this rate, moving the game to Unreal Engine 4 would make sense for them. It was kinda hard for PB since Rocket League uses Unreal 3 which has no native support for the Switch.

The fact that Psyonix's Graphics Engineer was quoted in the tweet might mean that Psyonix are now responsible.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How is the Switch version at the moment?
I've played it for around 10 hours after playing tens of hours each on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

The Switch version is by far my favorite version.

I honestly don't care about the visual downgrade. It's just so awesome to be able to play it on the go anywhere. Even when the resolution drops it's still perfectly playable thanks to the mostly 60fps lock, it controls perfectly, everything is always readable, and the ability to instantly switch between TV and handheld is amazing.

I'm really excited for any improvements they can make, but even in its current state I never want to play the Xbox/PS4 versions anymore. Even on the TV. It's all just too convenient.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this proves they're working on it by themselves internally. Haven't they always been working alongside Panic Button in some fashion?

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not seeing how that tweet clarifies much.

The fact that Psyonix's Graphics Engineer was quoted in the tweet might mean that Psyonix are now responsible.
Let's not forget that Panic Button are working hard on Wolfenstein 2 right now. They haven't even gotten DOOM patched because of it. There's no way this isn't because of Psyonix.