• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the NDS emulator "melonDS" is making a really good progress. It runs this for example almost perfect except some sound glitches:
yVFwU2b.jpg

This combined with the flipgrip is perfect for playing DS on the Switch. Even touch works.
QZFMmTf.jpg

This is all emulated by the CPU with overclock so expect a big bump in performance aswell as in higher resolution once the hardware renderer comes out.

MelonDS

Support Thread GBAtemp

FlipGrip

Nintendo is dropping the ball hard again. They could make so much money. Just get the damn NDS games on eshop and provide an own kind of flipgrip accessory. You could even bundle this with a digital code of a NDS game and sell a shit load.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow that looks really cool, I do hope they will release nds games and make it run like that in the future

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that DS and 3DS should be on the eshop. There are still games on both I need to play but don't feel like playing them on 3DS anymore but the solution proposed in the OP is pretty bad to me. The switch isn't super portable already and the vertical screen pretty much makes it a home only console as carrying this around seems unpractical.

Oct 25, 2017
They'll likely release DS games on it eventually.
Seems unnecessary now since you both need an acesssory and the 3DS plays every single DS game legally

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful. It's amazing, between online functionality and basic hardware functionality, Nintendo is leaving so much on the table with the Switch.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Great info! I bought a second Switch for emulation/homebrew and was wondering what this would look like. I just got the white D-pad shell in for my main Switch, too.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So the NDS emulator "melonDS" is making a really good progress. It runs this for example almost perfect except some sound glitches:
yVFwU2b.jpg

This combined with the flipgrip is perfect for playing DS on the Switch. Even touch works.
QZFMmTf.jpg

This is all emulated by the CPU with overclock so expect a big bump in performance aswell as in higher resolution once the hardware renderer comes out.

MelonDS

Support Thread GBAtemp

FlipGrip

Nintendo is dropping the ball hard again. They could make so much money. Just get the damn NDS games on eshop and provide an own kind of flipgrip accessory. You could even bundle this with a digital code of a NDS game and sell a shit load.

So while this is cool, I would never take anyone here's advice on business. You guys have zero understanding of how the business works. Or how well these kinds of things sell.

Hell why do you think Nintendo moved away from the VC style system to rolling it in to the online sub and selling some classic consoles.

Everything else here is cool, and yes I'd love to see Nintendo make something official but please stop deluding yourself regarding the money being left on the table. These kinds of efforts rarely produce enough of a return and it is also why the community usually does it for free and in general Nintendo doesn't go after them. Unless you are blatantly using their ip they tend to not care about stuff like this.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo would much rather sell us a sub to a shitty online service than let us just buy old games on their systems.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Seems unnecessary now since you both need an acesssory and the 3DS plays every single DS game legally

Nintendo released DS games on the WiiU already, so I don't see why wait more.

I think the Switch should've been built to support the controllers vertically but I understand why it is hard to do and not worthy since so few games would use it. An official accessory to use them that way could be a good idea for those that want it.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would much rather sell us a sub to a shitty online service than let us just buy old games on their systems.
I think the problem was/is that people wanted to only buy them once, and Nintendo wanted you to buy them every system.

So the solution to appease both was/is a sub. The problem is they haven't done enough with it or thought it through enough.

Like they should of just had a boatload of NES and SNES to open the sub and people would have been happier.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they could do Kid Icarus in that setup.

In any event that is very impressive.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Trying to imagine how this actually plays. Like, you're showing off Metroid Prime Hunters, but what are you doing, fingering it? Do you have some special stylus? Does touching the screen constantly during gameplay even work well in that handheld configuration?

Show me the practicality, man, not just "it works".

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So while this is cool, I would never take anyone here's advice on business. You guys have zero understanding of how the business works. Or how well these kinds of things sell.

Hell why do you think Nintendo moved away from the VC style system to rolling it in to the online sub and selling some classic consoles.

Everything else here is cool, and yes I'd love to see Nintendo make something official but please stop deluding yourself regarding the money being left on the table. These kinds of efforts rarely produce enough of a return and it is also why the community usually does it for free and in general Nintendo doesn't go after them. Unless you are blatantly using their ip they tend to not care about stuff like this.
Lmao
Nah. All you gotta do is actually do shit, release games at a decent rate and decent price. Nintendo is pretty shitty about that, and they would be making plenty of money from it if they did better. They factually don't know how this particular part of business works. You really think there's a significant percentage of people actually subbing... For some shitty NES games gave out at a snail's pace?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao
Nah. All you gotta do is actually do shit, release games at a decent rate and decent price. Nintendo is pretty shitty about that, and they would be making plenty of money from it if they did better. They factually don't know how this particular part of business works. You really think there's a significant percentage of people actually subbing... For some shitty NES games gave out at a snail's pace?
No I dont. Did I say there was? Did I say anywhere that what they were doing was good? No, I just said people here have very little understanding of the actual demand compared to the investment needed by Nintendo.

I am saying the market itself isnt as big as people here think it is. You can definitely say Nintendo doesn't do it the best way and I'd agree, but you are delusional if you think the effort involved would meet a reasonable roi for Nintendo.

Its not that they wouldnt sell in so far as that money used to do this work could and would get a better return being used elsewhere.

We can argue the merits of the whole system, me personally I prefer stuff like Sega Ages or even large on disc collections. Nintendo prefers to piecemeal that shit and make you buy it a million times.

Even then look at the Sega Genesis Collection on Steam. It has had multiple occasions where the whole thing was on sale for $5-$10. That was the main reason people bought it. It was super cheap. That's not Nintendo's business model, and to them, again, the return isnt enough to justify the efforts.

The Sub seemed like a compromise but Nintendo clearly drags ass on it because they don't want to invest that much.

Nintendo is very much a fiscally conservative company, so whether we agree or not or think we understand the costs fully or not, they dont see the return.

Best case would be for them to license it all out to a smaller dev house and let them take all the costs and returns for a licensing payment. For a smaller company it may be worthwhile.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Putting DS and 3DS games on the eShop is definitely something that would make Nintendo money, they just need to port their emulators. They're all into filling eShop with stuff.

But the thing is they wouldn't do it this way. They never intended the Switch to play horizontally. And I'm sure they expect people to keep buying the 3DS as long as it is in the stores as the only way to play the Gameboy legacy for now. DS worked on Wii U but you had a stylus and two screens, it's not something you have on Switch

Bringing more classic games to Switch will happen but not DS or 3DS. I think they're working on SNES and N64 next year, and the silence around the NES lineup might mean they're doing that next. After all, SNES games weren't even on 3DS at first but came with themes and the New 3DS.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People are getting their flip switches and here I am waiting..like every other Kickstarter porject I've ever backed, I'll probably need to ask why I haven't gotten it only to get the oops reply.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful. It's amazing, between online functionality and basic hardware functionality, Nintendo is leaving so much on the table with the Switch.

I agree that this is amazing and I would love Nintendo to make an official DS/3DS emulator and accessory for Switch but people seem to miss why this, along with SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii Virtual Console games won't be arriving anytime soon...

I beleive Nintendo are purposely holding back their back catalogue in order to help indies aswell as third parties establish themselves in the early days of the console.

Most people aren't going to buy Hallow Knight or Shovel Knight when Super Metroid or Super Mario World are available for example.

I think they're doing the right thing personally. I think SNES games will come as part of the online service from Spring 2019 and N64 games in Spring 2020 with certain Gamecube and Wii games getting the full on Remaster treatment.

My point is, Nintendo are not purposefully "leaving money on the table". These are very calculated decisions.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that this is amazing and I would love Nintendo to make an official DS/3DS emulator and accessory for Switch but people seem to miss why this, along with SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii Virtual Console games won't be arriving anytime soon...

I beleive Nintendo are purposely holding back their back catalogue in order to help indies aswell as third parties establishe themselves in the early days of the console.

Most people aren't going to buy Hallow Knight or Shovel Knight when Super Metroid or Super Mario World are available for example.

I think they're doing the right thing personally. I think SNES games will come as part of the online service from Spring 2019 and N64 games in Spring 2020 with certain Gamecube and Wii games getting the full on Remaster treatment.

My point is, Nintendo are not purposefully "leaving money on the table".
Lmao
Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight would still be huge successes even if Super Mario World and Metroid were on the console.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a great idea on paper but the ergonomics would be a literal pain after a while. Cropping would work on a big screen but portable mode seems like a tough nut to crack aside from removing the second screen or assigning it to a pop up.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is not true. Any game that required the GBA slot doesn't work on 3DS, and yes, this does include some Nintendo games. :p

And let's be real here, when has Nintendo actually delivered on a downloadable catalog of their older games? They've never done this.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks kinda cool, but to Nintendo credit, they probably think would be stupid for someone to buy a 300 device, them impractical grip, only to play the games that run natively on the 2ds.

Nintendo should be selling Ds titles on the 3ds eShop by now.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
This is not true. Any game that required the GBA slot doesn't work on 3DS, and yes, this does include some Nintendo games. :p

And let's be real here, when has Nintendo actually delivered on a downloadable catalog of their older games? They've never done this.

WiiU.

WiiU delivered.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

I beleive Nintendo are purposely holding back their back catalogue in order to help indies aswell as third parties establish themselves in the early days of the console.

My point is, Nintendo are not purposefully "leaving money on the table". These are very calculated decisions.
People have already bought Super Metroid 70 times. Making it available on Switch isn't going to destroy Hollow Knight & other indie metroidvania sales.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao
Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight would still be huge successes even if Super Mario World and Metroid were on the console.

Maybe for people like us, but for the masses, first party classic games would take precedent over indie games imo. Especially considering most people buy Nintendo consoles to play their games.

Doing it this way ensures indie and third party success early on.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have already bought Super Metroid 70 times. Making it available on Switch isn't going to destroy Hollow Knight & other indie metroidvania sales.

Not everyone has played it (myself included to my shame and I've been a Nintendo fan and playing their games since 1987).

I also didn't use that kind of language. "Destroyed" puts a completely different slant on my post.

It's also not just about that particular genre. Indie and third party Switch software sales would have been significantly lower imo if Nintendo had put the full NES / Gameboy / SNES / Gameboy Color / N64 / Gamecube / Gameboy Advance / Wii / DS game library on their digital store from day one.

People only have so much money to spend and so many entertainment hours to fill.

We'll never really know, so it's a pointless argument.

Sorry for dp.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been saying they should make a 3Ds player like this

Have a vertical grip that connects via USBC, has 2DS processors inside and plays the games automatically.

Can even have a cart slot to play retail games. If a new 2DS (retail, not new 2DS XL) is $80 new it probably costs like $30-$40 to make and without a screen, heck they could probably sell a DS player Grip with full BC via native hardware for $60 new at a profit

Oct 29, 2017
Problem here is that the Switch lacks an Active Stylus (or a resistive touch screen); nor a built-in microphone. Until Nintendo have a solution for this problem, DS games will never come to Switch (nor will any homebrew solution be worthwhile).

Oct 30, 2017
OP said it's perfect way to play DS games. I have a hacked Switch had no idea DS is emulated perfecly or is OP lying?

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
The fact that Nintendo didn't build the 3DS to natively support downloadable DS games blows my mind. They went through all the effort of making it backwards compatible but didn't think selling games digitally was worth it.

It's nuts

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Problem here is that the Switch lacks an Active Stylus (or a resistive touch screen); nor a built-in microphone. Until Nintendo have a solution for this problem, DS games will never come to Switch (nor will any homebrew solution be worthwhile).

I got one of these cheap smartphone stylus, works better then the shitty original resistive touch tbh.

Also mic works since last build. Just use any headset on your switch if you need mic support in a game.

OP said it's perfect way to play DS games. I have a hacked Switch had no idea DS is emulated perfecly or is OP lying?

I said in MPH FH it's ALMOST perfect.

Tetris DS for instance runs perfect.
You are not up to date as it seems.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is cool, but it crazy to think Nintendo is "losing money" but not creating a hardware accessory solely for games from a decade ago. It's cool for the enthusiasts but most people want new Joy-Cons and new colors in general. The 3DS is still there for the DS fans.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo were to do it, they would make it so the dual screens are side by side. Simplist solution is usually the best

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I want to do this so bad but I feel like modding switch is still way over my head :/

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Can you map the right stick to do stuff? Like simulate touch screen movement for MPH.

Assigning the additional shoulder buttons to specific touch gestures would also be cool.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo were to do it, they would make it so the dual screens are side by side. Simplist solution is usually the best

The last time Nintendo emulated DS games on Wii U they actually had quite a few options

2839659-nin2.png

I can't see why they wouldn't let people do it vertically, though they might be concerned about people accidentally dropping the system or something

I'd be very into some sort of official capacative stylus + grip bundle, even if it's a My Nintendo exclusive like the NES controllers