• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I bought a few Switch games on cart, but as my digital collection grows and as I my main use case is still portable, working with those little carts is a pain in the butt. By default, my digital only games get more play. And since it's a super portable for me, I don't need to worry about switching (no pun intended) carts during game sessions and what not.

I really regret buying the physical versions of many games now.

To be fair, I do like the PSP style cases, but these days, I just don't care. Digital is just so much better for me.

I thought I would be mostly physical since Nintendo games have high resale value, but I rarely resell anyway. And boy do I hate those little carts. I'd hate to lose one of those expensive suckers lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm digital except for Zelda which I got at launch and Octopath which was a gift. I vastly prefer digital over physical with this console especially. I love have all my games easily accessible while on the go.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
70/30
Physical and digital.
The only one I think was a mistake physical is Smash Bros.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Way more physical. But I tend to binge through a single game instead of playing through multiple ones at a time. The only digital game I have is Stardew Valley.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Mostly physical, but I've only got maybe 15 games total anyway.

Once my GCU membership runs out I'll re-evaluate, but cheaper prices with rewards stacked on top of it keeps me going back to physical when possible.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I only have like 3 games right now lol

Physical - MK8:Deluxe & Mario Odyssey
Digital - Hollow Knight and Smash (pre-ordered)

I think I'm going to do what I usually do on PS4: Multiplayer games = digital, single-player = physical

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Physical for two reasons.

1. That sweet, sweet GCU I had re-upped JUST before it was closed down by Best Buy.

2. Since some of the data remains on the game card, it allows me to use up way less space on the device itself.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Digital only this year, but only because there hasn't been a single retail release I've been interested in or hadn't already played on Wii U, since Super Mario Odyssey. My Switch has become an indie machine. Bring on MP4 and Bayo3 already.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Entirely digital until a few weeks ago I bought Starlink so I could have a toy Arwing.

Nov 14, 2017
70/30 physical to digital

I would love to be all digital but I don't have a memory card and I used to buy my Switch games from Amazon with their 20% off discount.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm doing the same thing I did with my Vita and Persona 4. I bought a Switch last november, put my Mario Odyssey cart in and haven't removed it since. Everything else is digital. Too bad the prices kinda suck when compared to the Vita ps store though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All digital outside of launch day games. I'm curious how many game I have now, I'll check in a bit.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I started out 100% physical but have been making the switch to digital due to convenience and the ability to have my games on the console. Plus, it turns out kids have this innate ability to misplace physical games which can be frustrating.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, for the Switch I am all physical. I think I saw that the cartridges were slightly faster at loading than the digal on SD cards.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Everything I own is physical (since I don't own a Micro SD Card for my Switch) except for Sonic Mania, which wasn't available physically back in 2017. For reference, here's the split...
  • Physical
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    • ARMS
    • Splatoon 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (soon)
  • Digital
    • Sonic Mania

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
About half and half, but I only have 7 or 8 games. I'll probably go mostly digital from now on though

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a couple of cartridges, but the games I play on Switch are all digital so... yeah good times

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Almost exclusively physical. I'll probably get Smash digitally because I can't see myself ever deleting it.

But beyond that, physical all the way. I fucking hate not having access to the games I want to play, and constantly having to redownload games just to play them is NOPE.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
100% digital after the Breath of the Wild limited edition. I don't think I'll buy physical games ever again to be honest, unless there are really good limited editions of games I really love.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got Splatoon 2 physical and regretted it. That's a game I always want in my system.

Got Octopath Traveler physical and that was the right choice. After I beeat the hidden final boss, I was done for good and traded it in. No need to keep that particular one around.

Smash Bros will definitely be digital (already preordered it and even put in the code for Piranha Plant already). Games with multiplayer components should always just be in my system.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
100% digital.

If there was a big single player game I wanted, I'd get it physical to sell after but I don't think there's anything like that out rn.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
I'm physical for major publishers (apart from stuff like Sonic Mania which came out digitally a year beforehand) and digital for indies or games from major publishers that don't have physical releases.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Smaller games pretty much all digital, big Nintendo games pretty much all physical. I'd prefer to go all digital on everything, but physical is €10-15 cheaper, and you get a case, and you can pass it along to friends/family afterwards. Digital feels like a bad deal every time.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
100% downloads on Switch, just like I did with Wii U. I bought Nintendo Land from the eShop even though the disc was packed in with the Wii U.