• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Today I bought an LG 55 inch 4K UHD at Best Buy, replaced my ten year old 42 inch 1080p Hitachi plasma. I've been playing Breath of the Wild tonight and maybe I'm crazy but I don't remember draw distance and backgrounds being so hazy and foggy. It seems like it looked better and crisper on my Plasma. A few examples below, I've tried adjusting setting, "vivid," game mode and so on. Up close stuff looks very good but again backgrounds and things like antenna towers and Death Mountain look hazy, any advice or thoughts?

SMwCcNB.jpg

l3xdrep.jpg

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The image is being upscaled to 4K, it's not going to look the same as it did on your 1080p display.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You should definitely calibrate your new TV. Get a set of blue lens glasses and pop in a THX Blu-ray to use the built-in calibration tools for the cheapest and easiest yet effective picture improvements.

Oct 25, 2017
Your old TV was scaling 900p to 1080p (small scaling required)

Your new tv is scaling 900p to 4k (huge scaling required)

Reason for poor IQ

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The image is being upscaled to 4K, it's not going to look the same as it did on your 1080p display.

This makes no sense.

4K is a literal doubling of the vertical and horizontal lines of resolution, so a 1080p pixel (1x1) becomes four pixels (2x2) in the same physical space (assuming we're keeping screen size constant).

If we vary only resolution, there should be no reasons a 4K TV outputs an inferior image than a 1080p TV.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What model is the tv? Someone might have the same tv and know the solution(if there is one)

My parents bought a lower end 4k LG a year ago but returned it for something else. The scaler was noticeably poor in it.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is so bad I almost feel like hooking my Plasma back up and returning the TV. Different game/system obviously but I tested Gravity Rush HD on my PS4 Slim and it looked fantastic.

What model is the tv? Someone might have the same tv and know the solution(if there is one)

My parents bought a lower end 4k LG a year ago but returned it for something else. The scaler was noticeably poor in it.

LG Model number on this is 55UJ6300. Normal price was $799, it had very good reviews online and was on sale for $499 so was hoping I was getting something decent.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Oddly enough Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic on my 4K TV. Like almost as good as base PS4 games I'd say.

Zelda and Odyssey are an absolute mess though. They just look awful, and I can't imagine Xenoblade 2 @ 720p docked.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, this is so bad I almost feel like hooking my Plasma back up and returning the TV. Different game/system obviously but I tested Gravity Rush HD on my PS4 Slim and it looked fantastic.

LG Model number on this is 55UJ6300. Normal price was $799, it had very good reviews online and was on sale for $499 so was hoping I was getting something decent.

It's $100 more, but the TCL P605 is far and away considered the best 4K TV under $999. If you're still in the return window, maybe I'd consider exchanging it for that.

Also: if you're going to be playing close to your TV, maybe get a smaller one? I know that helps.

detrenvi

Jan 14, 2018
This makes no sense.

4K is a literal doubling of the vertical and horizontal lines of resolution, so a 1080p pixel (1x1) becomes four pixels (2x2) in the same physical space (assuming we're keeping screen size constant).

If we vary only resolution, there should be no reasons a 4K TV outputs an inferior image than a 1080p TV.

While this is true and 4K TVs should simply use nearest neighbor scaling to bring the 1080p resolution up to 4K without any blurring or artifacts, the unfortunate reality is that most TVs do not do this. Most 4K TVs apply bilinear filtering to a 1080p source which adds a significant amount of blur to the image. This is a slight benefit for resolutions that aren't divisible into 4K, but there is absolutely zero reason for this to be done on a 1080p input because as you said, it's perfectly divisible into 4K.

Vizio P series TVs utilize native nearest neighbor scaling when using HDMI port 5 and set to game low latency/Computer mode. A couple of older Sony models do this in the Game/Graphics modes as well. Outside of that, I haven't seen any TVs that do this. The best solution would be to use an upscaler that will scale 1080p sources to 4K using only nearest neighbor scaling and without adding any latency (NN scaling creates zero latency), but at the moment I'm not aware if any such product exists.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
It's $100 more, but the TCL P605 is far and away considered the best 4K TV under $999. If you're still in the return window, maybe I'd consider exchanging it for that.

Also: if you're going to be playing close to your TV, maybe get a smaller one? I know that helps.

I thought about TCL but sales person at another store told me their TCLs currently get returned more than any other TV for dead pixels.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They just look awful, and I can't imagine Xenoblade 2 @ 720p docked.

its not just about the resolution, bayo 2 for example, outside of cutscenes looks .....fine...id say. cleaner than odyssey for sure and odyssey definitely has jumps of resolution over 720p .
xenoblade 2 on the other hand runs at the same 720p as bayonetta and looks like an absolute shitstain where id bet anything it was falling to ps2 resolutions if digital foundry hadnt told me otherwise .
and to be honest im still skeptical of that analysis. you just know theres something wrong under the hood the moment you pop out of that forest into the field in early ch3

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
While this is true and 4K TVs should simply use nearest neighbor scaling to bring the 1080p resolution up to 4K without any blurring or artifacts, the unfortunate reality is that most TVs do not do this. Most 4K TVs apply bilinear filtering to a 1080p source which adds a significant amount of blur to the image. This is a slight benefit for resolutions that aren't divisible into 4K, but there is absolutely zero reason for this to be done on a 1080p input because as you said, it's perfectly divisible into 4K.

Vizio P series TVs utilize native nearest neighbor scaling when using HDMI port 5 and set to game low latency/Computer mode. A couple of older Sony models do this in the Game/Graphics modes as well. Outside of that, I haven't seen any TVs that do this. The best solution would be to use an upscaler that will scale 1080p sources to 4K using only nearest neighbor scaling and without adding any latency (NN scaling creates zero latency), but at the moment I'm not aware if any such product exists.

The scaling algorithm most 4K TVs use is actually very good. I did a lot of research a few months ago and I considered the TV OP got. You'd have to look at ~$400 TVs before you found one that couldn't upscale decently.

Rtings gave OP's TV a 9/10 for upscaling 1080p content.

uj6300-upscaling-1080p-large.jpg

1080p sources such as Blu-rays look good. The image remains clear and detailed.

I thought about TCL but sales person at another store told me their TCLs currently get returned more than any other TV for dead pixels.

They had production problems when they first came out but they're much better now. My TV was flawless.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Went into RGB under TV settings and changed to Full Range and yep, that seemed to do the trick! Thanks! Looks waaaaay better:

nytCi7X.jpg

Are you saying the TV has a corresponding "Full range" setting like the Switch? And if so what would that be under?
Yes, it should have a full range option. Where and how depends on the manufacturer, so check your manuals. Some TVs default to Full Range, and some others give it a different name.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Only issue I need to solve now is the TV is cropping the Switch image a bit when in 16:9 mode. My Plasma had a "16:9 2" mode which corrected this, not seeing this on my TV's aspect ratio options so far.

Edit; Ok, to fix this I had to go into TV settings on my Switch and adjust the "screen size" percentage setting, good to go.

Yes, it should have a full range option. Where and how depends on the manufacturer, so check your manuals. Some TVs default to Full Range, and some others give it a different name.

Thanks, will look into it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their helpful replies! Great community here. :)

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what that sales person was talking about but he sold you down the river. The LG is not a good TV, to put it lightly. They're not even technically 4K due to their RGBW panels. Return it and get something else if at all possible. Not that it will fix your problem necessarily, 900p upscaled to 4K can look rough. But I imagine the set is contributing.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, looks like the advanced/expert picture mode setting is not accessible for some reason (still looking for full range mode on TV), won't let me highlight it.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if you can reach it in "Game Mode"... might be mistaken. By default should be ok if you already set it on the Switch.

Good to know, thanks. Yeah, was wondering if maybe it won't let you access it when a console is connected. Either way Switch looks really good on the TV now, very happy. Awesome avatar, btw! Was playing the Turbografx-16 port of R-TYPE recently.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Those old plasmas were sold down the river, such good image quality and refresh rate.. anyway random useless thought :)

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Vizio P series TVs utilize native nearest neighbor scaling when using HDMI port 5 and set to game low latency/Computer mode
Do you know if this is exclusive to the P series? I have a lower end (I think D series) but otherwise all the settings you mentioned are identical - is there an easy way to check?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I havent noticed since I never played my Switch on a 1080p TV only my 4k TV but I imagine the game that are 1080p like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe look a lot sharper because they perfectly upscale to 4k unlike the 900p games.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Edit; Ok, to fix this I had to go into TV settings on my Switch and adjust the "screen size" percentage setting, good to go.
Make sure your TV is set to 'full pixel' or something similar, so many TVs still do a nasty overscan by default.

its not just about the resolution, bayo 2 for example, outside of cutscenes looks .....fine...id say. cleaner than odyssey for sure and odyssey definitely has jumps of resolution over 720p
???

Bayonetta is fixed 720p. Odyssey never gets as low as 720p when docked, it mostly runs between 1600x900 and 1440x810.

Last edited:

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Bayonetta (and 2) looks disgusting on my LGB7. Jaggies are the main issue. BOTW looks fine for the most part. Flint hook looks great.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Glad you got this sorted OP! I imagine a lot of people don't have full RGB set on consoles+PC sadly, it doesn't seem to be widely known which isn't helped by the varying terminology across TVs. Also I swear the automatic option on consoles (Switch + PS4 anyway) doesn't work at all :|

I'm very happy with Switch on my 4k mercifully, as stated in the thread recent ones tend to upscale very well. 720p is jaggy of course but that was no different on my 1080p set.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic on my 4K TV. Like almost as good as base PS4 games I'd say.

Zelda and Odyssey are an absolute mess though. They just look awful, and I can't imagine Xenoblade 2 @ 720p docked.

Yup, same experience here. A bit of a shame as MK8D was my first game so i expected pretty good IQ from the switch but I was wrong. It makes me buy nothing but the absolute musthaves on this system.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you got this sorted OP! I imagine a lot of people don't have full RGB set on consoles+PC sadly, it doesn't seem to be widely known which isn't helped by the varying terminology across TVs. Also I swear the automatic option on consoles (Switch + PS4 anyway) doesn't work at all :|

I'm very happy with Switch on my 4k mercifully, as stated in the thread recent ones tend to upscale very well. 720p is jaggy of course but that was no different on my 1080p set.

Thanks! Yeah, Switch is looking much better now, I just need to locate and calibrate a few additional settings mentioned earlier. Hopefully I can find a way to disable or turn off the overlay.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. :/ Obviously Switch isn't optimized for 4K but didn't think it would be this much of a difference.
It isn't... it is not a 4K system, why would you think it would be optimized for it?

Not to mention that there are quite a number of games sub-1080p on the system, that includes BOTW... which is typically 900p at max, and has a dynamic resolution?

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Was coming in to say check your RGB settings, but it seems like you got it. Side note: Where is Jeff Rigby these days?

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't... it is not a 4K system, why would you think it would be optimized for it?

I didn't think that it was optimized for 4K. Why on earth would you think that was what I thought when in the reply you quoted I clearly said "Obviously Switch isn't optimized for 4K but didn't think it would be this much of a difference." So obviously I knew the Switch wouldn't look as good as a system optimized for 4K, just didn't realize I would have to adjust multiple settings. But hey, thanks for taking the time to interrupt what has otherwise been a very helpful thread with your condescending, snippy drive by reply.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I cant say what it is, but I have a samsung 4K, and in game mode it looks great (botw). I have no complains.

Try your version of game mode and mess with some settings maybe?

My botw on my samsung 4K does not look foggy

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. :/ Obviously Switch isn't optimized for 4K but didn't think it would be this much of a difference.

Until Nintendo release a Switch hardware revision with more power the best thing you can do (as silly as it sounds) is to sit a few feet further back than you usually would while gaming. I've found this works wonders for Switch games. The low rendering resolution, low res textures and poor anti aliasing are far, far less noticeable.

Oct 27, 2017

As an owner of an older Sony 4K TV do you happen to know which model use nearest neighbor. Ive never been able to find the info about mine.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
i thought as long as your rgb is on full and your black levels on tv match it's fine. whether limited or full it gives me the same color on ps4. crushed blacks or fadedness just come when they don't match

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so today decided to use Mario Odyssey to fine tune picture settings further. Adjust sharpness, brightness, contrast other settsings in Game mode and wow. This pictures don't do it justice, game looks amazing on my new TV, feeling much less worried now. A bunch of pics below, I thought Tostarena desert would be an excellent environment to adjust and test settings in, does it look like I got it right, A/V Era?

Oct 28, 2017
While you're fixing the picture quality of the TV, why don't you open up the options menu in BOTW and select "PRO HUD". That will clear up the picture somewhat.