• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that Microsoft is also willing to cooperate with Sony, right? That doesn't quite mean anything. I can understand your other points but this one doesn't quite fly

Do you mean crossplay? I don't really look at that as working with Sony it's mostly a thing that (right now at least) would benefit MS the most as it'd give them access to the tens of millions of ps4 users playing games as well as the ones on PC too. With Nintendo I was referring to them making a ds viva pinata game or saying how cool it'd be to have Banjo in Smash. They'd never work with Sony on an actual game, one that could theoretically help Sony move consoles or strengthen their online presence.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean crossplay? I don't really look at that as working with Sony it's mostly a thing that (right now at least) would benefit MS the most as it'd give them access to the tens of millions of ps4 users playing games as well as the ones on PC too. With Nintendo I was referring to them making a ds viva pinata game or saying how cool it'd be to have Banjo in Smash. They'd never work with Sony on an actual game, one that could theoretically help Sony move consoles or strengthen their online presence.
I also mean MineCraft. If Microsoft truly didn't wanna work with Sony, why would they try to get a better version of MineCraft, one that everyone can play on together, working on the PS4? Whether or not your or I care for the game, it's a huge game and the PS4 missing out on the best version of the game is a blow, even if it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world for it or anything. MicroSoft is more concerned with expanding their services and whatnot than anything else at the moment

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's terrible news. I won't double-dip, I'll wait, I guess, but if it's late summer I may pass on the game altogether.

Also, fuck, the first half of the year on Nintendo Switch is just brutal now without Dark Souls. I feel like the system has squandered a lot of its momentum from 2017. Hopefully the second half of the year is tremendous and makes up for what we're getting right now.

No...I'm saying it's ridiculous that so many people are bothered by this. I'm pretty much saying it's fake outrage.

Anyone who wants to play these games portable are fine waiting for the Switch version.

Anyone who wants to play the best tv graphics/performance version was going to buy the pc version anyways. Or settle for the Xbox/ps version.

The Switch version of a multiplat not coming at the same time as other platforms is a non issue. The gameplay appeal of a multiplat on Switch is entirely different to the appeal of a pc/Xbox/ps version.

People who actually desire portability in their multiplats aren't conflicted/worried/angry if the multiplat releases on other platforms first over the Switch

It's just fake internet bluster.

I don't know, man. The Dark Souls remaster was the only game in the first half of 2018 that I was looking forward to playing on my Nintendo Switch. A portable version of Dark Souls, one of the greatest games of all time, had me legitimately hyped. Now I don't have that, and instead I have a system that I probably won't touch for months. It's very disappointing. And I imagine that a lot of people feel the same way?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, that's terrible news. I won't double-dip, I'll wait, I guess, but if it's late summer I may pass on the game altogether.

Also, fuck, the first half of the year on Nintendo Switch is just brutal now without Dark Souls. I feel like the system has squandered a lot of its momentum from 2017. Hopefully the second half of the year is tremendous and makes up for what we're getting right now.

I don't know, man. The Dark Souls remaster was the only game in the first half of 2018 that I was looking forward to playing on my Nintendo Switch. A portable version of Dark Souls, one of the greatest games of all time, had me legitimately hyped. Now I don't have that, and instead I have a system that I probably won't touch for months. It's very disappointing. And I imagine that a lot of people feel the same way?
Does no one play indies? Jesus!

I've had my hands full with indies on switch. Yes, dark souls being delayed is a bummer but it's not like there's nothing else to play

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also mean MineCraft. If Microsoft truly didn't wanna work with Sony, why would they try to get a better version of MineCraft, one that everyone can play on together, working on the PS4? Whether or not your or I care for the game, it's a huge game and the PS4 missing out on the best version of the game is a blow, even if it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world for it or anything. MicroSoft is more concerned with expanding their services and whatnot than anything else at the moment

Ah I forgot about Minecraft. I feel like they probably choose to keep it as it is since it was like that before they bought it so the audience is all over the place. They probably should make it exclusive if they really wanted a mega blockbuster but it's probably easier to not rock the boat and keep things as they are.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
They 100% do not take Nintendo seriously as in nothing Nintendo does factors into their plans at all. They look at Nintendo as occupying their own niche in the industry, one that MS/Sony don't care about and don't focus on. The same goes for all of the major third parties. The majority of their business models rely on the audience that makes up ps4/xb1/PC gaming and the rest of their business comes from ios/android and/or the other type of PC gaming (the more casual focused type that's mostly not on Steam or covered in the media). I mean MS is even willing to cooperate with Nintendo on several things, that's how little of a threat they view Nintendo.
Last gen or even the Wii gen I'd agree, but the Switch line of products is very core centric and set to take a big piece of the pie.

Nintendo getting into the hybrid space first was huge and will pay dividends. The world is becoming more mobile not less.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah I forgot about Minecraft. I feel like they probably choose to keep it as it is since it was like that before they bought it so the audience is all over the place. They probably should make it exclusive if they really wanted a mega blockbuster but it's probably easier to not rock the boat and keep things as they are.
There is that. I wouldn't be surprised if keeping it multiplatform was done to avoid backlash and make money along the way but, at the same time, it's now their IP so them having it exclusive to their systems would be a huge boon, even more so than a lot of Nintendo's or Sony's own exclusives, and not exactly unjust, as happy as I am that it's still being supported on every major platform

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, you are talking to a guy who also doesn't believe in the "disappointment" of platform droughts lol

The majority of console gamers (casuals) only buy/play/need 1-2 games a year.

Gamers who need 1 or more new games every month are hardcore gamers...and hardcore gamers like that are multiplatform gamers.

Which means...complaining that a certain platform doesn't have any games you are interested in for months ar a time...is kind of irrelevant. People who do that are trying to make some other kind of statement...not really bored with no games to play.

There are PLENTY of games available to multiplatform gamers. No one should be feeling like the gaming industry isn't outputting enough games right now lol

I refuse to believe casual, Switch-ONLY gamers are complaining about not having enough Switch games right now.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Fact: Nintendo has published the most critically acclaimed and best selling games in the industry when considering their massive overall library.

Maybe Nintendo is just the hot successful girl in school everybody is jealous of?

I would find it inconceivable, but maybe as some suggest there are moneyhats going on behind the scenes because the competition would be powerless against a Nintendo with full third party support?

It's hard not to look at the incredible string of third parties mishandling Nintendo ports and not think something is amiss and ponder such questions.

I keep the faith though.

Even if there actually is some conspiracy against Nintendo like some of you madmen suggest, the difference this time is that the momentum Nintendo is gaining in the indie scene is already a huge victory and all but assures third parties will eventually follow when this all comes tumbling down.
Yikes, where to begin.. first of all.. cringe. Nintendo = hot successful high school girl?
Second, is it that hard to understand why ports of games for Switch are harder than their PS4 equivalents and thus require more time and special considerations? The Switch is a smallish tablet ffs.. and very weak compared to dedicated home consoles. Do you really think the Switch version would be delayed if the Switch was as powerful as the PS4?

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Strange how indie developers are able to port their games in a short amount of time with great results (see Outlast 1 & 2), but major third party publishers seem to fuck up even simple last-gen ports. Nintendo should focus on their own First Party and indie developers. These big third party publishers just aren't worth their time and effort. Scrap that Dark Souls Amiibo and give an amiibo to a company that deserves it, like the Celeste developers or Image & Form.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Yikes, where to begin.. first of all.. cringe. Nintendo = hot successful high school girl?
Second, is it that hard to understand why ports of games for Switch are harder than their PS4 equivalents and thus require more time and special considerations? The Switch is a smallish tablet ffs.. and very weak compared to dedicated home consoles. Do you really think the Switch version would be delayed if the Switch was as powerful as the PS4?

We're talking about a last-gen port here with little to no improvements... Your argument is invalid.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
My post was meant to be tongue and cheek, but within all jokes lie some truth :p

Also we have been given no reason at all for the delay so this is merely speculation on your part.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fact: Nintendo has published the most critically acclaimed and best selling games in the industry when considering their massive overall library.

Maybe Nintendo is just the hot successful girl in school everybody is jealous of?

I would find it inconceivable, but maybe as some suggest there are moneyhats going on behind the scenes because the competition would be powerless against a Nintendo with full third party support?

It's hard not to look at the incredible string of third parties mishandling Nintendo ports and not think something is amiss and ponder such questions.

I keep the faith though.

Even if there actually is some conspiracy against Nintendo like some of you madmen suggest, the difference this time is that the momentum Nintendo is gaining in the indie scene is already a huge victory and all but assures third parties will eventually follow when this all comes tumbling down.
Can't wait for your Switch thread #87 where you profess your love again about it.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but when was the last time other fans got so mad?

How do you think PS4 fans would react if there's was a random delay of, let's say, a remaster of Red Dead Redeemption one month before release with no real information why but the One and PC versions we're still coming out on time. I'd be willing to wager the reaction would not look much different.

Oct 25, 2017

Right.....

Jesus, some of you people. I love how the switch is apparently the Alpha and Omega, here to rescue the gaming populace.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
So how long of a delay are you guys expecting? Of course the pessimist in me says we're in for a late August release but after thinking about it that doesn't really seem all that likely to me. After all to delay the game this close to release must mean some problem came up that needed more time but not one so big since if it were a big issue you'd think the delay would be announced sooner. I really do hope it's a short delay and we'll get it late June or early July at the latest, but who really knows I guess.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My post was meant to be tongue and cheek, but within all jokes lie some truth :p

Also we have been given no reason at all for the delay so this is merely speculation on your part.
In that case, well done, haha. Yes, all we can do is speculate. Its a shame, I was really looking forward to the head-to-head sales battles between Switch and PS4 versions of this game. Would have been very illuminating.

Honestly, with the 'perfect for Switch' meme port begging phenomenon, general conspiracies, and vitriol whenever a third party game isn't on Switch or delayed...they've certainly been making a name for themselves this generation.
Yes. And the general chest thumping regarding sales numbers and critical success. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan and a Day 1 Switch buyer, but I often find that even-keeled Nintendo discussions are few and far between on here.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I thought porting to Switch was suppose to be easy??

My Switch is collecting dust for the last few months.... i need the good games!

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, with the 'perfect for Switch' meme port begging phenomenon, general conspiracies, and vitriol whenever a third party game isn't on Switch or delayed...they've certainly been making a name for themselves this generation.

As big of a Nintendo guy as I've been all my life I've always been put off by the community, especially in the wii u days. Thought the release of the switch would make things calm down a bit but it's only really gotten worse.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see the "perfect for Switch" phrase used mostly as a meme nowadays. I've never used the phrase personally tho. I mean I usually agree, because why else would I drop all other platforms and only buy games on Switch? But you know in your heart if you think so or not, and sharing it with the world won't make other people see the light. Just as telling me the Switch version of games are inferior won't get me to buy a Xbox One X to play on. Just different priorities.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Strange how indie developers are able to port their games in a short amount of time with great results (see Outlast 1 & 2), but major third party publishers seem to fuck up even simple last-gen ports. Nintendo should focus on their own First Party and indie developers. These big third party publishers just aren't worth their time and effort. Scrap that Dark Souls Amiibo and give an amiibo to a company that deserves it, like the Celeste developers or Image & Form.

"Strange", we will just put it that way indeed...

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
The delay is disappointing, but I'm still interested in the Switch version. Hopefully they nail it, that's what is most important (same deal with other Switch games such as Hollow Knight, etc).

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a horrible person... I found myself hoping that the game is delayed because actually they can't make the ammiibo in time and don't want to launch the game before the ammmiiiibo is ready...purely because of the irony...

Sorry :(

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Sale of Switch version drop 60% now with late release. At least my hype drop significantly. And I won't be buying the other versions either as I already had home experience with this game back on PS3. I only want it in portable.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And the general chest thumping regarding sales numbers and critical success. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan and a Day 1 Switch buyer, but I often find that even-keeled Nintendo discussions are few and far between on here.
This is honestly infuriating. Whenever the PS4 reached a milestone, we had PS4-GAF circlejerk all over it. GAF was a #4ThePlayers, based Kaz and Banderas gif meme infested den. ( Which I didn't even necessarily have anything against, let people enjoy what they like).

But Switch breaking some of these same records, and in general punching above it's weight is met with nothing but side-eyed scorn. Fucking please.

It's incredibly telling that Switch owners asking for multiplatform releases, which are not in any way associated with a console vendor, is somehow construed as this unholy sin and a sign of a bad fan base or whatever.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Zki6LEk.gif

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This is honestly infuriating. Whenever the PS4 reached a milestone, we had PS4-GAF circlejerk all over it. GAF was a #4ThePlayers, based Kaz and Banderas gif meme infested den. ( Which I didn't even necessarily have anything against, let people enjoy what they like).

But Switch breaking some of these same records, and in general punching above it's weight is met with nothing but side-eyed scorn. Fucking please.

Have you even been to the media create threads? Or how high BotW is voted as GOTY for ERA? Where is all this persecution complex coming from?

It's only a small delay, perhaps to fix some issues or polish others. In the end of the day it's still out for Switch, it's still portable(which in itself a USP), and much fun to be look forward to.

Ufaowl

Mar 6, 2018
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
It was like single game for Switch in months for me. Now i have to wait for July for some games. Since december 2017. Nintendo can't deliver enough games again. Only indies and ports(delayed). I'm so frustrated. I'm tired to wait for games, guess i've bought another door stopper.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I want Nintendo to try harder to court 3rd party developers which they seems to be doing already with the Switch but it could be even better. With longer development time, first party couldn't support a console by itself because there will always be droughts.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You peeps should be used to it by now. Just get all the system if you're financially capable if not then wait. Nintendo, unfortunately, is just a low priority for a lot of publisher especially for their big releases. It's partly due to Nintendo too for introducing problems unique to their system.
It's cringey especially the hot girl analogy above, yikes.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Could this have to do with the online? The switch version seems to be more of a port than a remaster so I don't see why it would be delayed while the other versions aren't.

Oct 26, 2017
Have you even been to the media create threads? Or how high BotW is voted as GOTY for ERA? Where is all this persecution complex coming from?

It's only a small delay, perhaps to fix some issues or polish others. In the end of the day it's still out for Switch, it's still portable(which in itself a USP), and much fun to be look forward to.
You mean the same thread where people were outright trying to argue that BoTW and other Nintendo games only ranked highly because of Nintendo bias and nostalgia and that, if the rules were different, they would be given their "proper" (lower) rankings? Not to say some Nintendo fans can't get bad, the conspiracy theories in this thread and the one for DQ XI show how bad it can get and I honestly feel that's what hurt this thread more than anything else, but let's not act as if threads with positive Nintendo news or whatever don't often get dragged down hard

Now that's something more people should accept. People trying to make this out to be a conspiracy or a horrible display of incompetence on Namco Bandai or Nintendo are kinda going overboard. The main thing that can be criticized is the response for the delay and how close it was to the release, which is fair, but anything beyond that is too far

Last edited:

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

It's incredibly telling that Switch owners asking for multiplatform releases, which are not in any way associated with a console vendor, is somehow construed as this unholy sin and a sign of a bad fan base or whatever.

I see this to an extent but I don't think you should be comparing this place to Neogaf. This place is at least moderated fairly. You have to realize that the core market in general is very pro Sony this generation (and most gens lets face it) and the fanbase follows online.

The other place was outright hostile towards Nintendo and Xbox fans (poor poor Xbox fans) to a hilarious degree right down to the administration.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see the "perfect for Switch" phrase used mostly as a meme nowadays. I've never used the phrase personally tho. I mean I usually agree, because why else would I drop all other platforms and only buy games on Switch? But you know in your heart if you think so or not, and sharing it with the world won't make other people see the light. Just as telling me the Switch version of games are inferior won't get me to buy a Xbox One X to play on. Just different priorities.

Yeah I posted about that 'meme' earlier and about how upset it has made people around here and I still barely understand it myself. Like how genuine enthusiasm and excitement of a thing is used as a piece of evidence of toxicity and spite or some such nonsense.

I'd like to say that this is really off-topic but like half the posts at least on this page alone have nothing to do with DS and are just bashing Nintendo fans for no reason so I guess it's a free-for-all in here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with people posting PS4 memes on GAF. I didn't post there so I can only speak to what I've witnessed here. My post was mainly echoing the other user whom I'm quoted. Look at any Monster Hunter thread from earlier this year for examples of what we are talking about. I'm not talking about the fanbase in general. Look at last year's GOTY voting and you will see that the great majority of users here are Nintendo fans. I'm talking about people imagining conspiracies against Nintendo and hopping in threads for one liner "But BOTW did it better" or "Switch version when" style drive-bys.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Could this have to do with the online? The switch version seems to be more of a port than a remaster so I don't see why it would be delayed while the other versions aren't.

An issue with the online functionality is the most likely technical issue it could be, IMO. Possibly not a coincidence they had to move the release closer to the big online update in September.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
As a Switch and PS4 owner, some of the reactions are embarrassing to read with all the tinfoil hat conspiracy and dev dissing.

It still seems that asking for maturity in gaming discussion is too much.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Guess I'll get Donkey Kong that month instead. Did they supply any additional reasoning? Seems really odd if it's technical issues since the hands-on from PAX were generally really positive.

Got to admit, I am getting a little sick and tired of the Switch versions coming "eventually".

Can't imagine Nintendo is too pleased about this either, as they gave the title front and centre position in the two most recent Directs, with a solid release date in tow. Nintendo of 2018 doesn't typically like divulging release dates they're going to change later on.

EDIT: Yes, seems like the online would be the biggest roadblock for this game.

Clix

Banned

You know, while I don't boy the tin foil hat conspiracy theories going around this thread, you are right on the dot with that.

I mean take a look at he GoW thread. It's an embarrassing circle jerk and people who haven't played it are already adding it to their GOTY list, getting riled up about any review that's not perfect, and so on.

Sony fans are just as capable as behaving the same way.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
I want to play this on Switch this May but it's not happening. So I guess I will find plenty of other things to do until it releases in the summer. It's really that easy. Oh, and now it's time for me to go outside, breath some fresh air and work in the garden. (=

This is a normal reaction, bravo. But, seriously though, there are tons of games to play before Dark Souls releases and tons of other things outside gaming that people could do. Why react like your life is over cause of a delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.