• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
At least he's leaving on a high note for the studio. Hi-fi rush is fantastic. Good luck to him in his future endeavors, I know I'll be waiting to see what he does.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm assuming he retires, so bon voyage Mikami-san! You've more than earned it!

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
george-costanza-seinfeld.gif

Alright! That's it for me.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Aww. Legit bummed he's leaving. Good luck to whatever he does next or if he's done with everything, then he deserves the rest.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Crazy run, wish him all the best.
He's cultivated some really good talent over the years. I think Tango is in good hands as long as Kimura and Johanas are there.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta be honest, this makes me sooooooo much less interested in Tango. Hi-Fi Rush was good, but I was mostly waiting to see what he'd lead next (the original Evil Within is still their best game imo).
I remember hearing he didnt love Microsoft so maybe he just wanted HiFi Rush out and then bounce? Or maybe he will be retiring, I think he can do that now with the time he has been working. Doesnt sound like it though
He's increasingly talked about wanting to direct a game again, so I doubt he's retiring.
Crazy run, wish him all the best.
He's cultivated some really good talent over the years. I think Tango is in good hands as long as Kimura and Johanas are there.
Ya, like Sakaguchi, the guy has the golden touch when it came to sniffing out and cultivating talent.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Just seems like he stayed around for a couple years after Microsoft bought Zenimax to get the games he was working on out and then he wanted out.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I'll dedicate my Akumu run of TEW to this legend. If he's retiring I wish nothing but the best. If he's still going to make games I'll be buying them day 1 as always.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If he's not retiring I'll put money on NetEase poaching him. From what I've heard the offers they make are the type you can't refuse. It would be a big payout before retiring.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
A legend and I will follow whatever he does next...but he wasn't the director of (by far) their best game. Tango will be fine.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
well the optics aren't good for microsoft. but from what we know ms didn't interfere in their games development, so it's hard to blame them.
i think it's difficult for ms to get/retain japanese game dev talent when the country has so many of its own game development companies.
if netease gets him though, ms will be blamed for sure.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's big. Curious if he's retiring or planning to go elsewhere. Tango seems in good hands off the back of Hifi Rush, which was easily my favorite game by them.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
A legendary game designer whose mark in the industry will be forever felt. Shame that he spent a long time without directing a big game.

Last edited:

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
A true legend. He created some all-time classics. I wish him all the best for his future endeavors.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
What a legend. He always stressed the importance of highlighting young talent cause they're the future. Tango will probably keep making great stuff. A company he built from the ground up. Wishing him all the best in whatever he does next.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I knew that he wanted to take a step back from game development but didn't expect him to actually quit Tango. Wonder if this is him retiring or just him wanting to do something else in a new environment.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
I mean he's 58, in this industry and with the work culture in Japan how it is he definitely earned his retirement if that is what he plans to do good for him.

Last edited:

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
MS funding M-Two to develop Scalebound?

Going vigilante to make sure they don't screw up RE4 Remake?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it does make you think how a jp studio under Microsoft that more than likely would have to keep their games only on Microsoft consoles and pc would deal in their home market. You kinda wonder what's going through mikami's head when the acquisition happened

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
Well, the main reason behind Tango was to be an incubator talent... so... job done, the people inside the studio is great and the main director of the studio now (John Johanas) is a great disciple. In the wifi rush presentation it seemed that Mikami was passing the torch...

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
I remember him saying that he wants to direct another game so I imagine he is probably going to create a new studio outside of the bethesda/Microsoft ecosystem