• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
tacticsv65kw4.jpg

Developed & Published By: From Nothing Game Studios (Official Site)
Genre: Fantasy Turn-Based Tactics RPG
Platforms: Nintendo Switch | Steam (Win/Lin/Mac) | PS4 | Xbox One
Release Date: August 9, 2019
Multiplayer: 1-2 Players
Languages: English
Nintendo Switch eShop: EU | US | CA | AU | NZ (989 MB)
Microsoft Store: Buy Here (861.38 MB)
PS4: UK | US
Price: US$24.99 US$ 19.99 | CA$34.99 CA$ 29.99 (Switch) # CAD $31.99 CAD $25.59 (Xbox One) | €20.99 €16.79 | £18.89 £15.11 | AU$31.50 AU$25.20 | NZ$34.65 NZ$27.72
~~~ LAUNCH WEEK DISCOUNT 20% OFF UNTIL AUGUST 18!!! ~~~

tacticsvwhyr8jee.jpg

Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade is a retro-style tactical turn-based video game in homage to console tactical RPGs from the 1990s. It's set in an in-house fantasy setting with its own lore and magic, and it also uses techniques to convert to a 2D isometric look from 3D assets.

Content Included:
  • Combat system mechanics: facing, targeting styles, actions, delayed actions, reactions
  • World map navigation
  • About 50 hand crafted levels
  • Roughly 80 scripted scenes/battles
  • Between 12-18 hours of story content
  • Around 3 hours of optional story
  • Multiple tiers of gear/weaponry
  • 13 unique unlockable classes
  • Optional cooperative main-game via assigning troops to another controller during deployment
  • Training option allowing a non-fatal combat to be controlled by player(s) or AI to gain XP and Skill points
  • Optional Alternate top-down perspective
  • New Game Plus
The dream behind this demo goes with the Roman Numeral five in its name, which was originally the code name differentiating it from four other tactical game systems the programmer, Paul Metcalf, had made.

With a long history playing tabletop wargames and RPGs, Paul always finds a way to slip turn based games into his side projects, including a multi-part Youtube series. While some Unity scripting APIs have changed, the youtube series still helps other devs, or future devs, tackle hurtles in such a project.

tacticsvmedia4xk16.jpg

Gameplay without commentary

NSwitchDS_TacticsVObsidianBrigade_02.jpg
NSwitchDS_TacticsVObsidianBrigade_03.jpg
NSwitchDS_TacticsVObsidianBrigade_04.jpg
NSwitchDS_TacticsVObsidianBrigade_05.jpg
NSwitchDS_TacticsVObsidianBrigade_01.jpg
ss_75179d0e39e30711e1114be78caa009cc719034c.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
You guys have to stop. I had seen this game in the upcoming section of the eShop and didn't even click on it. Until today. And now I need it.

Guys, please… stahp

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Reminds me of Ogre Saga which started with Ogre Battle (which Matsuno created as the fifth chapter, despite being the first game). Anyway this looks really up my alley. This game came out of nowhere.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey! That's my interview with Paul! He's a really nice guy and Tactics V looks amazing!
Thanks for sharing the video!
The benefit of a game having little to no coverage online, anything that exists bubbles to the top more easily :D

You guys have to stop. I had seen this game in the upcoming section of the eShop and didn't even click on it. Until today. And now I need it.

Guys, please… stahp
First time I'm hearing about this and it looks like I need it???
Seems like my subliminal(??) messaging in the thread cover banner worked lol

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. This looks great. How is this the first time I'm hearing about this game? Looking forward to impressions.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
It's out in Europe, guys. And with a nice discount. The discounted price is 16,79 €.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it in the eShop and looked up some videos. This definitely looks nice and I really dig the lo-fi artstyle.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's out in Europe, guys. And with a nice discount. The discounted price is 16,79 €.
Yooo, they could have advertised this somewhere beforehand lol

Extremely tempting to bite the bullet sooner rather than later...

Price: US$24.99 US$ 19.99 | CA$34.99 CA$ 29.99 (Switch) # CAD $31.99 CAD $25.59 (Xbox One) | €20.99 €16.79 | £18.89 £15.11 | AU$31.50 AU$25.20 | NZ$34.65 NZ$27.72
~~~ LAUNCH WEEK DISCOUNT 20% OFF UNTIL AUGUST 18!!! ~~~

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I was planning to sit this one out for now, given the glut of games atm. That discount, tho...

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Why make 3d models and put a filter on them to make them kinda sorta look like pixel art? Why not just use pixel art which would look literally a million times better.

The game looks interesting but the aesthetic is just the dirt worst.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Why make 3d models and put a filter on them to make them kinda sorta look like pixel art? Why not just use pixel art which would look literally a million times better.

The game looks interesting but the aesthetic is just the dirt worst.
Animated pixel art is a shit ton of work than creating simple 3D models with basic keyframe animations. Note that this game has a rotating camera.
Not even listed on German PSN Store? Out already on Steam in Germany though
The usual PSN bs, I guess. Expect it to show up in a week or so maybe, going by recent history.

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
The gameplay and map structure looks pretty good (the Tactics Ogre influence is pretty obvious), but the aesthetic is not my cup of tea. The dithering reminds me of old PC-98 games, but not in a good way. Those games used dithering techniques to enhance the visuals and produced some of the most beautiful games of their time. This just seems like a filter haphazardly thrown on a modern game to give it a faux-retro feel.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay and map structure looks pretty good (the Tactics Ogre influence is pretty obvious), but the aesthetic is not my cup of tea. The dithering reminds me of old PC-98 games, but not in a good way. Those games used dithering techniques to enhance the visuals and produced some of the most beautiful games of their time. This just seems like a filter haphazardly thrown on a modern game to give it a faux-retro feel.

This is exactly how I feel right now. I would have bought it, but waiting to see if it's really good because I can't stand thier style

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Yea all these tactics games releasing around Fire Emblem on Switch are really poorly timed, imo. Mutant Year Zero, Chroma Squad, this ...probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment...
If these were better spread out I would have ended up buying all of them. As it stands I'm sticking with FE for now.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The "3d trying to look like 2d pixel art" art style was an awful choice, but if the game gets good word of mouth I might check it out.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in the eshop thread yesterday for first time. Immediately fell in love with art style. Gotta research and see if the mechanics are my jam.

What does it compare to if anything?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Saw this in the eshop thread yesterday for first time. Immediately fell in love with art style. Gotta research and see if the mechanics are my jam.

What does it compare to if anything?
Literally all we know is the stuff that's covered in the OP incl. the videos. Nobody is talking about or covering this and everyone is waiting for impressions :/ lol

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
This is the type of game that would be great for Gamepass.

I'm interested in it, but don't play too many games like it, so I'm hesitant to spend the money to try it. But, if it was on GP is probably be playing it today.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Love the look of this game and I also love tactical RPGs. But I really, really need at least one solid, credible review to tip me over the edge.
Kind of reminds me of a modern take of some old CRPG art styles and/or that Sega Genesis Naughty Dog game (Rings of Fate? Rings of Power? I forget).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hi, this is Paul, the developer of the game. Reviews are slim, we misjudged the story playtime based on our tests, and learning curve, we have since upped it to 25+ hours, for what it's worth, I did find a review by someone who has finished the game (this one's for Nintendo Switch) https://killapenguin.com/gamereviews/tactics-v-obsidian-brigade-review/
Thanks for sharing! Are there plans to patch the game a bit? The review mentions a few odd bugs with certain AI units, for example.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, this is Paul, the developer of the game. Reviews are slim, we misjudged the story playtime based on our tests, and learning curve, we have since upped it to 25+ hours, for what it's worth, I did find a review by someone who has finished the game (this one's for Nintendo Switch) https://killapenguin.com/gamereviews/tactics-v-obsidian-brigade-review/
Hi Paul, I would like to support the game, sadly it is still not out on EU PSN (at least Germany). Is there no planned EU release on PSN?

Zaibach333

Aug 13, 2019
Hi Paul, I would like to support the game, sadly it is still not out on EU PSN (at least Germany). Is there no planned EU release on PSN?
Thanks for your interest, at this point in time there's some constraints on age rating concerns financially, I do see it going to EU eventually, but when I can not say. I'm sorry this is the case, however, at the moment we are on Switch, Xbox One, and Steam in Germany to my knowledge.