• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This is blowing up huge. Much bigger than it did in 2014. I don't think the fcc can ignore this lawfully.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although for example I would love to see illegal content blocked (I HATE pirates, sorry), I understand that this is much, much bigger than my hate for pirates and freeloaders. So this time I will put my principles aside, for the greater good. I'm going to send messages to all my US contacts! Let's keep net neutrality alive, it's so important for the internet, and for the future especially!!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be selfish, but as a Canadian, I'm wondering how this would affect us. In most things, we tend to follow suit with decisions made south of the border, but I'm wondering how specifically we'd be affected.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
What can people outside of the US do to help? Are there any organisations I can donate to?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm spamming my social media pages trying to get the word out. The outrage needs to be massive to force the fcc to listen. And if they don't they will be guilty of not listening to their constituents.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, our comments and complaints may go almost entirely ignored, as we aren't providing any "real" reasons to keep net neutrality.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...c-opinion-in-its-push-to-kill-net-neutrality/

FCC official explains why comments can be dismissed

A senior FCC official spoke with reporters about Pai's anti-net neutrality plan in a phone briefing yesterday and explained why the FCC is not swayed by public opinion on net neutrality.

The vast majority of comments consisted of form letters from both pro- and anti-net neutrality groups and generally did not introduce new facts into the record or make serious legal arguments, the official from Pai's office said. In general, the comments stated opinions or made assertions and did not have much bearing on Pai's decision, the official said. The official spoke with reporters on the condition that he not be named and that his comments can be paraphrased but not quoted directly.

The official noted that many of the comments are fraudulent. He said that there were 7.5 million identical comments that came from 45,000 unique names and addresses, apparently due to a scammer who repeatedly submitted the same comment under a series of different names.

The message from this FCC official seemed to be that a huge percentage of the comments can be safely ignored. But the docket is filled with these comments because the FCC took no significant steps to prevent fraud and did not delete even the most obviously fraudulent comments from the record.

Allowing the docket to be filled with junk made it easier for Pai's office to argue that the comments should not be seen as a legitimate expression of public opinion.

Pai's office has also refused to provide evidence for an investigation into fraudulent comments, New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said yesterday. Schneiderman said that there was "a massive scheme that fraudulently used real Americans' identities" in order to "drown out the views of real people and businesses."

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
The phone number text thing is legit right? I am slightly paranoid giving them my address and such.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Did my calls, emails and I'm in for the protest at the Bryant Park store. Even if this is a Hail Mary at best it still worth a shot.

To those saying, "switch from VZW to another carrier, speak with your dollar!" All of the carriers/telecom companies want to ax Net Neutrality, so your dollar just ends up in the pocket of a different lobbyist firm no matter which carrier you choose.

I've found that it's been difficult to get family and friends fired up about this, but one successful tactic has been saying, "if competitors like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon are all agreeing on something who do you think they're aimed to screw over?"

Anyway, it's all super frustrating but let's try to do what we can while we can.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
what it seriously feels like defending this

1506418625-battle-bastards.gif

i dunno brothers, there's a lot of animals out there. absolute animals.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Although for example I would love to see illegal content blocked (I HATE pirates, sorry), I understand that this is much, much bigger than my hate for pirates and freeloaders. So this time I will put my principles aside, for the greater good. I'm going to send messages to all my US contacts! Let's keep net neutrality alive, it's so important for the internet, and for the future especially!!

Pirates were the first targetted crowd but the method they did that is destructive to networking which the all three branches of government at times have shown not to give a shit about. There is proof from the development of the sqm/qos tech called fq_codel or cake that typical systems do nothing to fix bandwidth problems and make them worse. Using nothing is absolutely bad. Guess what the bulk of the isps use on top of starving consumers at the last mile and then passing their data to bloated bigger pipeline.

I'm miffed professionals aren't calling them out for this shit. They want to run a racket blame you and charge you more. That's a fucking crime and what's worse is various parts of the government or parts of the industries are just willy nilly to let consumers think it's fair or ethical its not.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
There's no purpose in relaying your concerns to the compromised FCC. It's more productive to make noise to your representatives.

True. Tweet, call, and email. But I feel like they won't pay attention unless the numbers can reach those of the NRA, who are a very dedicated bunch (and also have the badly worded amendment on their side hehe). We need to do our damnedest one way or another.

From what I'm reading the fcc can't just make any change it wants. There has to be a reason for the change. In this case net neutrality has been a complete success and there really is no reason.

The courts are going to have to save net neutrality if the fcc is going to ignore the people.

Edit: yeah reading the article When not if this goes to court the fcc has no leg to stand on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/courts-net-neutrality-fcc.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

Hopefully the courts could handle it. There probably is many legal reasons Pai's approach to net neutrality is not legally sound. We might have some hope. That would only be after NN is gutten, wouldn't it?

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Sent my message. It's sad that we even have to fight this battle. I hope people speak out about it. This is one fighter where literally everyone is on the same side.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
We're standing with you in Canada. Give your representatives the phone/fax/mail smackdown over the next few weeks. If they fail you, vote their asses out.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the backlash on this is huge! Every single subreddit has a stickied thread.

We might be able to stop this!

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm gonna do my part, but damn if it isn't exhausting having to constantly fight our politicians to make them represent their constituents and not their corporate partners

Fucking this.

It's like I'm constantly getting slapped by stupidity left and right...

It's like arguing with a bunch of ass-hats on a daily basis trying to explain to them the Earth isn't flat.

It's the public, line by line, fact by fact, debate by debate, sentence by sentence, picture by picture - that makes the internet what it is. The internet should be treated like space. The concept alone demands neutrality.

Last edited:

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Being tired of fighting is exactly what they want.
I'd understand if fighting was a grave time impediment for people, but since the legislation is already there, it only takes roughly 5 to 10 minutes of your day to write out a fax or make some calls to retain that piece of legislation...

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Text Resist to 504-09 to draft and fax custom messages to your congresspeople instantly. It's amazing. Tell them to defend Net Neutrality.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Personally I want Ajit Pai's resignation on the list of demands

I'd understand if fighting was a grave time impediment for people, but since the legislation is already there, it only takes roughly 5 to 10 minutes of your day to write out a fax or make some calls to retain that piece of legislation...
If this was the only thing going on, sure. But it feels like we have to fight on like a thousand different fronts right now, and it's hard to keep track of it all. And then just when you think something is finally behind you, like the LAST time we had to get out and shut down these attacks on net neutrality, BAM, there it is again. Just like we have to keep calling our politicians to not take away our healthcare, to not ban muslims from entering the country, to not try and kick transgender soldiers out of the military, to not approve the Keystone XL, and on, and on, and on.

So yeah, it's fucking tiring. I'm not saying we should stop. But just because they WANT us to be tired doesn't mean it's any less tiring.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The crappiest part about all this is FCC itself isn't affected at the consumer level, even though they are directly responsible for consumer and business regulations. So no matter what consumers do, unless speaking out directly, electing the right people and loudly which I hope we all do. There's no way to convey it properly. But even with that, it doesn't have an economic impact on the FCC directly which is the greatest motivator for pro consumer moves. So it's just far enough removed from consumers/small businesses that they really have no leverage here.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds very bad hopefully it can be stopped, the internet should be a free space and not be controlled by companies at all. This is just as bad as heavy monetization in games, heck even worse imo.

That dude trying to get rid of it is a true POS.

I'm from EU but i will see what i can do to support the movement against this change.

Yeah, I'd say this is considerably worse!

It feels like if this passes through in the states, it's only a matter of time before it comes to Canada. Wouldn't be surprised if Rogers already has plans.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Hello SweetNicole

You can also send a fax to your Congressman using a textbot on your phone:

So if you haven't already, there's a bot you can text, that helps you write an email or a fax, free of charge, to your senator, or governor. Text "resist" to "504-09" and it'll ask you some questions, then you're onto writing. From another thread a few weeks ago, someone posted this message, and it think it's a great one to send.

"Net Neutrality is the cornerstone of innovation, free speech and democracy on the Internet.

Control over the Internet should remain in the hands of the people who use it every day. The ability to share information without impediment is critical to the progression of technology, science, small business, and culture.

Please stand with the public by protecting Net Neutrality once and for all."

I'd love to credit the user, but have lost the comment, but please, go send some faxes, show your politicians you want net neutrality to stay.

Source
https://resistbot.io/

All I'm able to do is 504 09. No hyphen. How do I do this?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this would be getting more attention here

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I still have trouble getting worked up over this, when people should have been doing stuff 10-20 years ago.
This is the perfect example of people rushing to close the barn door after the horse has already escaped - and ran across the meadow, down the hill, and into the river.

To be clear: I think net neutrality is incredibly important, and the loss of it will be a terrible thing for the internet, and the world as a whole.
Just, I mean, this has clearly been seen to be coming for years. The fact that people closed their eyes, looked the other way, and enjoyed their "bandwidth-free access on certain websites / platforms / etc." for so long is how we've gotten to this point.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer. Just, after taking issue with this for well over a decade, and seeing the war being lost, it's hard to get up for when people start caring so far after the fact.
This would basically just be a Pyrrhic victory.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I still have trouble getting worked up over this, when people should have been doing stuff 10-20 years ago.
This is the perfect example of people rushing to close the barn door after the horse has already escaped - and ran across the meadow, down the hill, and into the river.

To be clear: I think net neutrality is incredibly important, and the loss of it will be a terrible thing for the internet, and the world as a whole.
Just, I mean, this has clearly been seen to be coming for years. The fact that people closed their eyes, looked the other way, and enjoyed their "bandwidth-free access on certain websites / platforms / etc." for so long is how we've gotten to this point.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer. Just, after taking issue with this for well over a decade, and seeing the war being lost, it's hard to get up for when people start caring so far after the fact.
This would basically just be a Pyrrhic victory.

You can still do things about it. Saying "I told you so" is not productive.