• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I would love to know what take two considers a commercial success, considering most of their games are micro transaction hell.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I love Firaxis and like Marvel stuff well enough. But I hate card games. Any game with cards and/or deck building mechanics are pretty much an instant pass from me, I hate it.

Might give it a try eventually since it has a Game Trial on Playstation, but I really hate cards so I don't have high expectations lol.

It really doesn't feel like a card game to me. Just an XCOM where each turn is a randomly generated puzzle, rather than having the same fixed set of options. It honestly feels like a stylistic blunder. They could have chosen to style the moves as something other than cards.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer but not unexpected. It's an incredible game and it was my second favorite of last year. I do agree it has long legs and it's pretty obvious when you see the very strong word of mouth it has had once it came out and people got a good look at its systems. I think the cards scared off a lot of people unfortunately which is a shame because it's genuinely a great system that works well. It's not even a card game really, it just takes hero abilities and functionally makes them cards to keep combat fresh. Like you aren't going against enemies who are using cards or anything but I think people who are averse to card games saw that it had some form of cards and just noped out before giving it a chance. Hopefully the game ends up selling well in the long run.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
I really think "gamers" (take that term to mean what you will) just aren't super interested in AAA Marvel games unless they're Niche-Man. We're seeing it time and time again.

I still think Avengers being such trash was a big problem for Guardians. Midnight Suns suffers from both being a fairly obscure Marvel reference in general (not obvious which characters it is by the name) and also not-exactly-straightforward gameplay.

But I think going forward, if you make a *good* straightforward 3rd person action title from an MCU property it will still sell well, especially if it's Iron Man, Hulk, or Black Panther (maybe Cap? I dunno if that's just my love for Cap talking). Wolverine will sell well.

But also to anyone who is on the fence on Midnight Suns but loves Marvel Comics, like, get this game. It's so good.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That's too bad to hear. As a big fan of Firaxis' work, and someone who enjoys but is not a fanatical fan of Marvel stuff, the project never really looked appealing to me. Partly because I'm apathetic towards card games, even if I do enjoy them.

The reviews did turn my head though. I'm certainly curious to try it, just to see what greatness Firaxis cooked up, but I'm not keen on spending a lot for it. I'd download it day 1 if it hits Game Pass, Humble Choice, or PS+ though.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
So many people I know that enjoy Marvel/MCU stuff and play video games literally never heard of this title when I talk about enjoying it. But yeah, I wager it'll have a long tail, especially if the DLC is good shit.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I had 0 interest in it because of Marvel, but the mechanics themselves sounds cool. Hopefully they make similar games with a theme I actually care about :P

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer, I'm really engaged with the game even though I'm playing at a glacial pace. But the combat is really fun and I normally bounce on all things card related (Yu-Gi-Oh excepted lol)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I really think "gamers" (take that term to mean what you will) just aren't super interested in AAA Marvel games unless they're Niche-Man. We're seeing it time and time again.

For whatever reason, it doesn't cross-over to this sphere.

Plus the release date sucked.
I don't think it's that. I surmise the audience for tactics games, and even more, card based tactics games, is not that big. Regardless if Marvel is attached.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The fact that people still call it a "card game" when it actually really isn't is probably part of why it wasn't a success. Cards are part of it, sure, but the game has SO MUCH MORE than cards and it doesn't work like a normal deckbuilder at all.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer but not unexpected. It's an incredible game and it was my second favorite of last year. I do agree it has long legs and it's pretty obvious when you see the very strong word of mouth it has had once it came out and people got a good look at its systems. I think the cards scared off a lot of people unfortunately which is a shame because it's genuinely a great system that works well. It's not even a card game really, it just takes hero abilities and functionally makes them cards to keep combat fresh. Hopefully the game ends up selling well in the long run.

Agreed on this. I don't think the card system was explained properly prior to release. I took a chance on it because I trust Firaxis, but I can see others being wary about it once they heard it would use cards.

December release date didn't help matters either.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
its a card/strategy game and is called Midnight Suns. I don't think it had much widespread appeal. GOTG deserved better, but it didn't get a lot of positive buzz when revealed.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% buying it, but not until it's sub-$20 (and I have the free time to play it), so around the end of the year. Maybe.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
ive been waiting for the steam deck patch, hopefully it still happens.
Yeah, when I heard the game struggles a bit on the Deck the game became a "wait and see" or at least a "wait for a sale."

Turn based strategy games not performing well on lower spec devices doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Graphics are kind of the last thing I care about for tactical games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Games that release with tons of DLC are always a "wait for 80%" for me, just too expensive and I don't want a incomplete product

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, figured as much, didn't seem to make a splash anywhere, which is a damn shame, because it's my GOTY 2022. No other game since Returnal managed to grab me like that, and I'm not even following the MCU. Hope Firaxis doesn't suffer the consequences.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The game had a lot of elements that are mismatched with each other, regardless of quality. The card system turned off a lot of the built in Firaxis fans, and fans of Marvel aren't really looking for a $60/$70 strategy game. Firaxis has always had a huge PC audience and this game just felt like an annoying detour for that group before getting the next X-COM.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The fact that people still call it a "card game" when it actually really isn't is probably part of why it wasn't a success. Cards are part of it, sure, but the game has SO MUCH MORE than cards and it doesn't work like a normal deckbuilder at all.

I think this direction sealed the game's fate. They really needed to find some way to package the mechanic without any "cards" imagery or terminology because assuming it's some kind of deck builder or card battler is such a logical (and unwelcome, for a lot of folks) conclusion, and hearing the devs or fans talk in circles about how the game doesn't actually play like a card game was never going to undo even a fraction of the apathy that the word "cards" instilled.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I really want to get it but also I don't see the point of getting it until all of the content is released. For me it will likely be a one playthrough game so I want the "complete" version when I do play it.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the XCOM and Civ audience probably cares about Marvel. They just also don't care about a full priced card game. I guarantee you if Midnight Suns had been something more akin to my Suicide Squad game idea it would have done a hell of a lot better with those audiences.

Yes, this post is, in part, a desperate plea for someone to ask for a reminder of my Suicide Squad game idea.
For a general audience, being a tactical turn based game is probably a lot more of a turnoff than the tactics being presented with cards

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
ive been waiting for the steam deck patch, hopefully it still happens.
Yeah, when I heard the game struggles a bit on the Deck the game became a "wait and see" or at least a "wait for a sale."

Turn based strategy games not performing well on lower spec devices doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Graphics are kind of the last thing I care about for tactical games.
The patch has been out for a bit, fixed all the crashing for me atleast. Cloud saves worked between SD and my desktop too.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I don't think it's that. I surmise the audience for tactics games, and even more, card based tactics games, is not that big. Regardless if Marvel is attached.
All of these genres are huge on Steam... I just don't think Marvel is a big draw from the crowds that buys these games (like me.)
Especially this weird demonic fantasy Marvel thing going on there, which as a non-Marvel fan just confuses me and it's not something I associate with Marvel at all.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started on PS5, and I haven't played the XCOM games, and I don't play card games, either. I'm surprised by how rough the cutscenes look, at least compared to the actual gameplay, which overall looks really good. The character animation, along with the impact of the moves, looks and feels great. And then more rough stuff, like a weak character creator--I couldn't even select gray/silver/white hair. The writing and voice acting is top tier, however.

I really don't think I'd recommend it to any of my friends, though. The systems seem really overwhelming, and I wasn't expecting a . . friendship simulator? I'm not even sure if that's right. I have no idea what the sales expectations happened to be, but it's over 100 CAD with taxes, and it doesn't exactly feel like a wide reaching game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bad price got it for me, pretty sure I will like it, trust the Devs a lot, but not paying 70 to find out if it's a card game that I like for once. Now I'm basically just waiting for a too good to pass price.

Sep 13, 2022

For whatever reason, it doesn't cross-over to this sphere.

Plus the release date sucked.
It's not just that
It was a strayed game and that's just not interesting imo, it killed interest immediately

If it was like a gazzilion marvel game with that cast i would be all over it

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't bought it and I'm a big Marvel guy,I just can't get excited for the card stuff sadly. Will pick it up when I find it on sale.
Open world action games are the way to go with Marvel and I assume Wolverine will be one like Spiderman.
Supposedly it's semi linear or wide linear or whatever. Think TLOU or God of War.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was from Square-Enix and people felt burned by Avengers.

I think it's too easy to understate how negative the reaction was to Guardians' reveal. I think, at most, I'd say that people took a less-than-charitable approach to Guardians because of Avengers' reception, but they were still responding to the marketing in front of them.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
All of these genres are huge on Steam... I just don't think Marvel is a big draw from the crowds that buys these games (like me.)
Especially this weird demonic fantasy Marvel thing going on there, which as a non-Marvel fan just confuses me and it's not something I associate with Marvel at all.

Ironically, I love demonic/occult shit, but the Marvel slant kills it for me, especially when the playable characters are just boring stock Marvel heroes that I'm beyond tired of by now or was never enamored with (Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, etc). The game didn't look like it was leveraging its hellish style well at all except for Ghost Rider being in the game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Two people from my work are enjoying it (one said loves laughing at it) but only picked it up when the big bundles were on sale for $30 over Christmas.

Meanwhile, I still have Mario & Rabbids so I don't need two Tactical RPGs at once.

Veil

Jun 4, 2022
I also thing that going for the vampire side of the marvel universe was a weird pick. Like yeah half the cast were popular Avengers, but the mc and the main bad guy being OCs from generic demonland wasn't super appealing

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Just like with GOTG game I expect few LTTP threads about this in some months, wondering how they didn't play it earlier because how much fun it's.