• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Esports

"We certainly think it's a good decision. We think there may indeed be a meaningfully positive influence on our business," Zelnick said.

However, Zelnick was not able to share any detailed ideas about how esports gambling would be implemented or on how much impact it could have on future earnings, saying, "We don't have any expectations right now. We're simply observing that there are potential opportunities in the future and I'd be very surprised if sports gambling didn't intersect with the industry at some point in the relatively near future."

According to ESPN, before the Supreme Court ruling lifted the federal ban on sports gambling, Take-Two's partner in the NBA 2K eLeague, the National Basketball Association, said it would seek a 1% payout from every bet placed on the league.

On Fortnite

As has been a common theme in investor calls, Fortnite was brought up on multiple occasions. Take-Two Interactive didn't hint about its own entry into the soon-to-be-bustling battle royale genre, though. "I don't think what one takes away from this properly is that a particular approach, a particular mode, has suddenly redefined the business," Zelnick said.

"I don't believe that's the case. I think if one changes one's business to follow other people's big hits, to constantly be playing catch up, and to say that you wouldn't be in second place is an understatement. You might remain in last place. It's our job to constantly innovate, and more often than not, that has led to success.

On expansion to other media

"When you look at the quality of the intellectual property created and owned by ourselves and by some of our competitors, it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be opportunities in other forms of entertainment," Zelnick said.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ing-could-be-good-for-game-publishers-zelnick

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
"According to ESPN, before the Supreme Court ruling lifted the federal ban on sports gambling, Take-Two's partner in the NBA 2K eLeague, the National Basketball Association, said it would seek a 1% payout from every bet placed on the league."

This sets a bad precedence imo.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess Esports gambling is the logical next step after we have all become accustomed to lootbox gambling...