• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Missed the key point:

They made two billion fucking dollars IN PROFIT every year for the last 5 years.

These layoffs aren't due to "overhiring", they're due to pure shareholder and corporate greed and the insane demand for infinite growth.

You know what you should do when you run a company who's profit declines by 25% but still makes two billion dollars in profit?

Throw a fucking party, not lay people off.
Unfortunately that's not how corporate America works so until the system changes, this is the norm, not the exception.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'd bet almost all of those employees worked on GTA, and now that it's done they're kicked out. Probably a bunch of QA as well.

GTA VI is far from finished and real QA work basically just begun. And R* has a lot of long time employees (at least in higher positions) so they don't drop those. Overall I think that Rockstar is probably currently safest place. Cloud Chamber studio (Bioshock) Hangar 13 (Mafia, Top Spin), Visual Concepts (NBA), Firaxis Games (X-Com, Civ)... are more likely candidates because those are the ones that got projects canceled.

Thalanil

Aug 24, 2023
I really hope this stuff stops soon.

The gaming industry is gonna lose so much institutional knowledge and talent from devs getting disillusioned(and who can't blame them considering the past 2 years of neverending layoffs) and just leaving the industry for better paying pastures(I know other tech sectors have been hit by layoffs as well but if the job stability is gonna be shit anyway some devs are gonna go for it if the pay is better).

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
As someone who trash-talked Keighley for seeming to have blinders on regarding things like this last year, I will continue to eat a little crow since he's pivoted a bit.

View: https://x.com/geoffkeighley/status/1780358396744470872

But on-topic, If the company that made goddamn GTA is doing layoffs, then the industry is well-and-truly broken.

On topic I think what's happening may not really be P+L as much as it seems the big guys are slowing down the side projects and consolidating behind key IPs. If they are shuttering projects then there isn't anything to save these employees from layoffs because there's no work to do (I know technically they could be shipped to other projects but in my experience with project management in both govs, corps and in between that rarely ever happens)

So the Indy space really feels like the place where new stories and ideas will come from just like the film and tv industry. Is there a gaming equivalent of A24?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
On topic I think what's happening may not really be P+L as much as it seems the big guys are slowing down the side projects and consolidating behind key IPs. If they are shuttering projects then there isn't anything to save these employees from layoffs because there's no work to do (I know technically they could be shipped to other projects but in my experience with project management in both govs, corps and in between that rarely ever happens)

So the Indy space really feels like the place where new stories and ideas will come from just like the film and tv industry. Is there a gaming equivalent of A24?

Annapurna and Devolver? But funding for Indie projects is in bad spot too.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

The cost of doing business has risen across all sectors of the economy and gaming is feeling the brunt of it in the last year+. Funding is a problem at every level (Indie to AAA) now. It was easier to fund projects when money was basically free.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
The cost of doing business has risen across all sectors of the economy and gaming is feeling the brunt of it in the last year+. Funding is a problem at every level (Indie to AAA) now. It was easier to fund projects when money was basically free.
Yeah I think there's probably a bunch of Silicon Valley style fundies that came in during pre Covid stayed during Covid and are now having cold feet and walking back out but if the undies can hibernate for the next couple years we will have more success stories to lure them back in. The biggest 2 imo will be gta6 and switch 2 and maybe some bubbles from ps5 pro and the rumoured xbox handheld in 2026

But yeah the project management side of gaming is looking dire from funding and confidence perspectives for the next 18 months

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet almost all of those employees worked on GTA, and now that it's done they're kicked out. Probably a bunch of QA as well.

I think somebody here predicted that the return to office mandate was always just R*'s way of quietly firing employees and would be followed by actual layoffs later.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
These fuckers just claimed ÂŁ360million in tax relief in the UK without contributing any tax at all as well.

Greedy assed corporations.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
People keep talking about GTA money, but didn't this company just buy a bunch of other companies (Gearbox and more)a few weeks ago?
That's the real bullshit.

Moertel

Apr 26, 2018
Missed the key point:
They made two billion fucking dollars IN PROFIT every year for the last 5 years.

Net income was -1.1billion last fiscal year and they've had negative net income in the last 6 quarters I think. They haven't even had two billion dollars in net income in the last 5 years combined

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2023 was $2.285B, a 16.04% increase from 2022.
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2022 was $1.969B, a 7.17% increase from 2021.
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2021 was $1.838B, a 18.83% increase from 2020.

source

This, in addition to receiving generous tax breaks and the GTA+ service getting a 30% price bump, just WTF.

Outside of Nintendo, the console industry is truly broken.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This, in addition to the GTA+ service getting a 30% price bump, just WTF.

Outside of Nintendo, the console industry is truly broken.

Tech across the board has been getting hit hard. It's not a videogame specific issue. You want to argue capitalism or corporate/shareholder greed fine but this isn't a videogame industry specific issue.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
Tech across the board has been getting hit hard. It's not a videogame specific issue. You want to argue capitalism or corporate/shareholder greed fine but this isn't a videogame industry specific issue.

yeah i got laid off from a tech job last year after our profits weren't as mind-shatteringly high as the CEO expected (and this was for a fairly niche variety of software that just so happened to be compatible with the need generated by the early pandemic); the period of wildly unsustainable growth is over, and now we're seeing the crash. some related industries will have a faster comedown than others, but still.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Net income was -1.1billion last fiscal year and they've had negative net income in the last 6 quarters I think. They haven't even had two billion dollars in net income in the last 5 years combined
This is accurate. Revenue and gross profit are not the numbers to be looking at here. Take-Two has been losing money every quarter.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
How much money does a company need to make in order to not do mass lay-offs?
It needs to be able to borrow for cheap. They could be making money hand over fist right now and the simple fact that they'd know it would be cheaper to operate at this capacity whenever the next economic upswing hits would be enough to have them decide to cost-cut and save as many resources as possible to hit said upswing in stride.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2023 was $2.285B, a 16.04% increase from 2022.
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2022 was $1.969B, a 7.17% increase from 2021.
  • Take-Two Interactive Software annual gross profit for 2021 was $1.838B, a 18.83% increase from 2020.

source
This is all irrelevant. Gross profit is "revenue minus *direct* expenses," and indirect expenses can also be hefty. The number to look at is net income, which as you can see has not been a pretty picture for Take-Two: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TTWO/take-two-interactive-software/net-income

(Their stock is stable despite the big losses because investors don't trade on current outcomes, they trade on expected outcomes, and GTA6 is looming.)

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
If they cancelled some projects and are not yet starting new ones or dont have plans to start new ones yet, and the people arent needed, it makes sense to lay people off.

Your not going to keep people on staff to literally just twirl their fingers, regardless of how much profit you have (or don't have).

I don't know the specifics here but some of the knee jerk "fuck corporations/capitalism" is ridiculous.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If they cancelled some projects and are not yet starting new ones or dont have plans to start new ones yet, and the people arent needed, it makes sense to lay people off.

Your not going to keep people on staff to literally just twirl their fingers, regardless of how much profit you have (or don't have).

I don't know the specifics here but some of the knee jerk "fuck corporations/capitalism" is ridiculous.

100% agree. Yes, it sucks, but the entire market is in a state of flux right now. Projects that may once have seemed like they would be successful may no longer be worth the financial risk - so more prudent to discontinue development than to keeping throwing money at them. These are surely difficult decisions, but summarily dismissing this as a money grab is oversimplifying a much more complex decision.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Capitalism doesn't work, so the real answer to your question is "infinite". The company must continue to make _more_ money every single year no matter what the cost. People, ethics, product quality, whatever. Under capitalism, there is no end to this, and every single product you love will likely have the same fate.

Nov 3, 2017
Few things: they acquired Zynga in 2022, for $12.7B, acquisition date May 23, meaning fiscal year of 2023(April 1-March 31).
They stated cost synergies of $100M annually for five years.
And now they've Agreed to Acquire Gearbox for $460M in 2024, expected acquisition date first quarter of FY25.

Cost synergies are cost savings which can take several forms, including supply chain improvements, R&D, tech advancements and layoffs.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism doesn't work, so the real answer to your question is "infinite". The company must continue to make _more_ money every single year no matter what the cost. People, ethics, product quality, whatever. Under capitalism, there is no end to this, and every single product you love will likely have the same fate.
Working at a fortune 500 company in a mid level management position you are incorrect. You lay people off when there isn't enough work for them (do to automation, increased efficiency, or decreased demand for your product, etc). You can't just lay people off to "increase profits" because then you can't produce as much. Having less product to sell means less revenue and less profit.

And a regulated capitalistic system has been proven to be the best system for a middle class, and have pulled more people out of poverty than any other economic system. Name a replacement that is better. (Note my key word here is REGULATED capitalist system).

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Working at a fortune 500 company in a mid level management position you are incorrect. You lay people off when there isn't enough work for them (do to automation, increased efficiency, or decreased demand for your product, etc). You can't just lay people off to "increase profits" because then you can't produce as much. Having less product to sell means less revenue and less profit.

And a regulated capitalistic system has been proven to be the best system for a middle class, and have pulled more people out of poverty than any other economic system. Name a replacement that is better. (Note my key word here is REGULATED capitalist system).

Cool, well that's good for your company. People are laying people off for the sole reason of increasing profits. That's why all these layoffs happen, and why any layoffs happen, if you're immune to seeing that because you work for some fancy company that's good for you! You don't need to feel apart of it until you do. :)
I guess I should add, just because arguing with people isn't cool, and I don't really mean to do it that I genuinely feel it's good for you if you feel that way, ignorance is bliss.
I have been working in games for a long time and have never once seen layoffs that were not about increasing profit, since that's the only goal of the company (Of course, this excludes small companies and co-ops etc.).
Usually it's worded in a way to remove the human element like "we need to be more efficient, we need to set ourselves up for success in the future, whatever."
All of that is true, but also not true, because under capitalism everything only exists to make profit, so that's the reason. I'm a bit sensitive to it, because I've seen countless friends and co-workers thrust into hardship for no reason other than appeasing some suits who do nothing to make our games.
I remember my first time! I was working as a junior and all of a sudden, out of no where, a bunch of people got up and walked out single file, friends stopping by my desk to tell me they were laid off. It never gets easy and it's always for the same reason.

inigo_montoya

Nov 20, 2023
it's exceedingly not the point but people here are dramatically wrong about how corporations work if they think gta making money means other orgs are safe from layoffs. I don't say this to be mean or insensitive, layoffs suck and I feel for the 600 people losing their job but please see this as a life lesson, if your team/org at work is not making a profit AND is not one of the few top internal priorities you will see layoffs even if the company overall is fine. Corporations will keep profit centers and corporations will keep money losing orgs that are long term priorities (think reality labs at Facebook). Corporations will not keep teams that are both losing money (or at least making less money than the fed rate) and that aren't internal priorities. Any time it's remotely possible you should want to move to a team that makes a profit or is higher priority even if the work is a slightly less good fit

Yes, likely a mixture of cost management by project/team and an overall general reduction in labor costs and implementation of new/increased revenue streams for the incoming storm many think will arrive.

Edit: This is not isolated to the games industry. It is going strong across all. This will get worse for many before the year is out.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Layoffs are not linked to how much money a company makes as they are targeting how much money a company is *expecting* to be making on their current investment (which workforce is a part of) in the future.
Also and again - the fact that some project is vastly profitable doesn't mean that anyone will burn these profits to fund projects which are bringing losses. These projects will be cut or closed regardless of how much money a company makes.
These stupid takes on how "capitalism" works are really tiresome.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Missed the key point:

These layoffs aren't due to "overhiring", they're due to pure shareholder and corporate greed and the insane demand for infinite growth.

You know what you should do when you run a company who's profit declines by 25% but still makes two billion dollars in profit?

FWIW, as far as I know Gross Profit doesn't include operating expenditure, which was reportedly $3.45bn last year. Which technically puts them like a billion in the red, though how much of that is just creative accounting, I have no idea.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So one of the richest publishers with the biggest cash cow in the industry still finds a way to fire people for cost reduction?

They fucking suck

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Cool, well that's good for your company. People are laying people off for the sole reason of increasing profits. That's why all these layoffs happen, and why any layoffs happen, if you're immune to seeing that because you work for some fancy company that's good for you! You don't need to feel apart of it until you do. :)
I guess I should add, just because arguing with people isn't cool, and I don't really mean to do it that I genuinely feel it's good for you if you feel that way, ignorance is bliss.
I have been working in games for a long time and have never once seen layoffs that were not about increasing profit, since that's the only goal of the company (Of course, this excludes small companies and co-ops etc.).
Usually it's worded in a way to remove the human element like "we need to be more efficient, we need to set ourselves up for success in the future, whatever."
All of that is true, but also not true, because under capitalism everything only exists to make profit, so that's the reason. I'm a bit sensitive to it, because I've seen countless friends and co-workers thrust into hardship for no reason other than appeasing some suits who do nothing to make our games.
I remember my first time! I was working as a junior and all of a sudden, out of no where, a bunch of people got up and walked out single file, friends stopping by my desk to tell me they were laid off. It never gets easy and it's always for the same reason.
I definitely wish the U.S. would at least shift to a social market model like Germany or Japan, but that of course would never happen with the Republican Party existing.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Missed the key point:

Yeah, this exactly.

"But with operating expenditures, it's more like a MERE one an and a half billion profit" okay, then as an obscenely wealthy company you weather the storm for a quarter until the new project starts or whatever so you don't have to fuck over your street level people. That's what they do for you when it's CRunCh tIMe

Nov 1, 2021

Don't care, neo-liberal spotted.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Layoffs happen to cut costs. As to the reason those in charge think costs need cut, it varies quite a bit in need and intelligence.

As far as Capitalism "pulling people out of poverty", this is only true using an arbitrary and unrealistic metric of a livable income created by the World Bank. There's also the issue of people who were basically forced into the system by colonial forces boosting that claim too.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care, neo-liberal spotted.

How about stop the name calling and veiled slander.

Where am I pushing de-regulation and decreased government spending? Even in my post I specifically emphasize regulation and regulated capitalistic system.

Layoffs happen to cut costs. As to the reason those in charge think costs need cut, it varies quite a bit in need and intelligence.

As far as Capitalism "pulling people out of poverty", this is only true using an arbitrary and unrealistic metric of a livable income created by the World Bank. There's also the issue of people who were basically forced into the system by colonial forces boosting that claim too.
So what other economic system has shown to be better for civilization throughout history than a regulated capitalistic system with social safety nets?