Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
That's crazy. I went to school with one of the Roll7 founders. Have always kept an eye on the company since I found this out.

Unbelievable that they would buy them and shut them down so quickly.

Milfanito ~

Apr 1, 2022
Regardless of whether the games were good or not, I keep thinking that for every employee who loses his or her job there is a family behind also affected.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Roll7 šŸ˜”

Love the games made by them, why would you want to be adquired by T2?

I think they were adquired before OlliOlli World released under Private Division.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
Just burn it all down, this industry sucks.

Feel really bad for the devs at Roll7, it couldn't have been that expensive to keep them open and they made reliably great little games.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
thanks Strauss Zelnick. enjoy the bonuses that will pointlessly make your mountain of money a bit higher.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
This got me extremely livid. FFS...

Rollerdrome is an awesome and fun experience, I really liked the OlliOlli games, and Not A Hero was hilarious! Take Two is a fucking blight on this industry. Those execs are greedy fucking assholes.

I hope the devs regroup and manage to make something new. It sucks they're forced to go back to square one. FUCK!

Mar 25, 2019
That fucking sucks for both teams, but damn Roll7 was a huge indie favorite. Loved the Ollie Ollie games, Not A Hero is a ton of fun, and Rollerdrome is fucking incredible I was so so excited to see what they had planned next

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that didn't know Roll7 as owned by Take-Two. Horrible to laid off so many talented people. OlliOlliWorld was ana amazing game and deserved more love. RollerDrome was a breathe of fresh air. Loved the art style and mechanics.

I haven't played Kerbal 2 yet. I loved the first game, even though I was bad at it. I was waiting to build a new PC to check out the sequel. It blows that they are being shut down.

Fuck Take-Two.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I wonder if some rich people will get even richer, that's what's important to me. If rich people aren't getting richer, what's the point of anything

smikwily

Oct 31, 2017
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busin...ace-program-2-is-safe-despite-seattle-layoffs

When approached for comment by Game Developer, Take-Two wouldn't confirm whether Intercept Games has been impacted by the cutsā€”despite multiple Kerbal Space Program developers indicating they recently left the studio, with one expressly stating they were "laid off." A company spokesperson did, however, explain that its Private Division publishing label will continue to support Kerbal Space Program 2.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Rollerdome and the new Ollie Ollie were incredible. Baffling to shut down that studio after those two bangers

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
There is zero reason that the company behind GTA needs to "cut costs". None.

There need to be laws against this constant "whatever is good for the share price, screw everyone and everything else" decision making.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've met the Roll7 developers IRL. They're so cool and so are their games. This really sucks, and I hope the people behind them get to make games again.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like one of the strengths of Era would be a community that can organize to petition Rockstar (and any other pub that does shit like this) to reconsider - a kind of organized community response. I say this well aware that i don't have time to take it on, but I'd sure love to contribute to it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
So sad to hear.
You'd think indie studios would be wary of getting acquired by huge publishers by now.
They sold themselves to Take-Two as a means of having more security and not having to search for new funding and partners for each game, but that obviously wasn't a wise move once the money train ended for publishers.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Absolutely horrible and I hope those affected land on their feet. People keep telling me this is a great generation or the industry is fine, straight up delusion.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
They're inevitably going to be making obscene profits of billions and billions of dollars in the coming decade off GTA VI alone.

Really no excuse for this.

This isn't really how corporations work. That secures the specific teams working on that franchise at most, but it doesn't act as a parachute for the whole company, and really that is reckless as hell conceptually. I work in a nuclear power plant among 4 other plants, if mine is doing poorly and the others are doing amazingly, they are still gonna shut my plant down. This is effectively how all businesses are ran to ensure they are all doing sufficient or growing financially, or at least turning a profit.

Of course, one can argue the morality of it all, but still. Nintendo seems to be one of the few huge companies that sort of does operate that way, but even that isn't without reason. They respect their developers and realize they are vital to keeping their brands powerful, and propping up their entire business, but if Nintendo was no longer a platform holder, they likely would end up having to make decisions like this far more. Simply put, a good platform holder knows you need diversity and portfolio builders to make the best healthy ecosystem you can, but once you're in third party space, it's pure cut throat top money seeking only, which is what we're seeing a lot of recently.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Roll7 is god tier, what a disgusting news. I didn't even know they were bought by take two in the first place. Can't have shit in this industry.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
Seems like one of the strengths of Era would be a community that can organize to petition Rockstar (and any other pub that does shit like this) to reconsider - a kind of organized community response. I say this well aware that i don't have time to take it on, but I'd sure love to contribute to it.
Take 2, or any other company actually, would not give a fuck.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
This is so sad to hear, olliolli is so incredibly good, and I really loved the way the roll7 devs interacted with their community.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
Rollerdrome was cool as hell. Hope they land somewhere quickly cuz that seems like major talent they're letting go

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
kinda feel like kerbal 2 is on life support now :/
Realistically this isn't new. Development has been glacial since the early access launch.
If anything they ought to have thrown more assets at such a great IP with the mind-share it has rather than cutting staff.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So sad to hear.
You'd think indie studios would be wary of getting acquired by huge publishers by now.

It's usually the owners looking for a payday.

But also being an indie dev can be extremely volatile, so even the rank and file will probably agree to it for stability reasons.