• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Starfield have loading Screens?

• Yes

Votes: 1,239 93.2%
  • No

Votes: 91 6.8%

• Total voters
Nov 14, 2017
www.polygon.com

Starfield’s game engine will be a leap forward, Bethesda says

Still no word on when Bethesda’s sci-fi RPG might launch

www.nme.com

Todd Howard on ‘Starfield’ game engine: “It’s a significant overhaul”

Todd Howard has revealed more information regarding two upcoming Bethesda games, ‘Starfield’ and ‘The Elder Scrolls VI’.

Quote me when you find a RPG with the same world interaction of Elder Scrolls.
They said the same thing about Oblivion to Skyrim.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Indeed. That is the thing those games do. You have to give up literally everything to have it, and the actual impact it has is minute, but for some people, that kind of thing rocks their world.
I disagree. I think something as simple as being able to put a pot on someone's head to block their vision and steal stuff is way more impactful than some higher quality textures.
They refuse to talk about ladders and have said they are used to using their tools, so it'll be the same tech with a graphical upgrade. It'll be like the Oblivion to Skyrim transition.
"Refuse to talk about ladders"? Todd already said they aren't any. They already stated that it's the biggest jump in their engine, possibly bigger than Morrowind to Oblivion. They even say that they have more people working on the engine than ever before, by a factor of 5. What are you talking about lmao.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They refuse to talk about ladders and have said they are used to using their tools, so it'll be the same tech with a graphical upgrade. It'll be like the Oblivion to Skyrim transition.
Every engine is based on a previous engine these days. And no, the jump according to Todd will be bigger than Oblivion to Skyrim.
They said the same thing about Oblivion to Skyrim.
Source?

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah I hate asking for sources but I would like to see where they said that. It's hard to find online without knowing where it came from.
I posted the link. It was a central feature of their marketing for Skyrim, because for every new Bethsoft game people make the same complaints about their tech and have been doing so for over a decade.

I read the text and where did they say it's the biggest jump?
They said it was an entirely new engine. That was obviously not true.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I posted the link. It was a central feature of their marketing for Skyrim, because for every new Bethsoft game people make the same complaints about their tech and have been doing so for over a decade.
That doesn't say biggest jump, and yes skyrim was on a new engine which was Creation Engine. No one actually means a new engine from scrap when they say "new engine", it's usually always derived from something else.

The full context of that "new engine" was "It's a new graphics/gameplay engine built internally. We'll have more details down the road." Which idk if you've played Skyrim compared to Oblivion… it's not much of a lie.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Yes it will still have loading screens, hopefully really short ones.
Why am I not surprised this thread devolved into Bethesda hate?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I imagine if there are loadings screens they will be pretty quick.
Its hard to imagine with no idea how seamless will be the transition into planets or how dense/how interactive planets will be.
If I had to guess I'd say no load screens for gameplay, a few seconds for fast travel.

Nov 14, 2017
That doesn't say biggest jump, and yes skyrim was on a new engine which was Creation Engine. No one actually means a new engine from scrap when they say "new engine", it's usually always derived from something else.

The full context of that "new engine" was "It's a new graphics/gameplay engine built internally. We'll have more details down the road." Which idk if you've played Skyrim compared to Oblivion… it's not much of a lie.
I played every single player Bethsoft since Morrowind on release. Oblivion to Skyrim was a big graphical upgrade, and it had nice QoL features like conversations you could walk away from. It was not a fundamental shift though. It was just an upgraded version of the same technology they have always been using.

Also, criticising their tech is not hate. I expect Starfield to be as good as any other Bethsoft game - like I said, I've played them all on release. I also expect it to be janky in mostly the same ways, particulary with loading screens everywhere.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I played every single player Bethsoft since Morrowind on release. Oblivion to Skyrim was a big graphical upgrade, and it had nice QoL features like conversations you could walk away from. It was not a fundamental shift though. It was just an upgraded version of the same technology they have always been using.

Also, criticising their tech is not hate. I expect Starfield to be as good as any other Bethsoft game - like I said, I've played them all on release. I also expect it to be janky in mostly the same ways, particulary with loading screens everywhere.
Who said it was a fundamental shift? You completely pivoted from them saying "biggest engine upgrade" for Skyrim to them saying their "new engine" was not "a fundamental shift" which I don't think they ever said that either????

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I guess it'll be playable on PCs with HDDs so, yes, I'm gonna presume so.
Could always do something like REVIII on PS5, on other platforms it has a full on loading screen with art and stuff, on PS5 it just fades to black 99% of the time
So they could make it have no loading screens on Series X but yeah on PC I doubt it

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
www.polygon.com

Starfield’s game engine will be a leap forward, Bethesda says

Still no word on when Bethesda’s sci-fi RPG might launch

www.nme.com

Todd Howard on ‘Starfield’ game engine: “It’s a significant overhaul”

Todd Howard has revealed more information regarding two upcoming Bethesda games, ‘Starfield’ and ‘The Elder Scrolls VI’.

Quote me when you find a RPG with the same world interaction of Elder Scrolls.

Pretty sure Gothic 3 Is at least in the Same ballpark, while at the same time doing more stuff than Oblivion. All in a seemless Open World 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Who said it was a fundamental shift? You completely pivoted from them saying "biggest engine upgrade" for Skyrim to them saying their "new engine" was not "a fundamental shift" which I don't think they ever said that either????
They described it as an "entirely new engine". I don't get why you're playing this weird semantic game over Bethesda's tech stack.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Loading screen when entering a building on a current gen exclusive would be absurd so they better not or it would seriously dampen my enthusiasm. I don't see an issue requiring an SSD on PC in 2022.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They described it as an "entirely new engine". I don't get why you're playing this weird semantic game over Bethesda's tech stack.
They didn't say "entirely new" they said "all new". Which is true, it was the Creation Engine. I'm not playing semantics. You just made a claim that they said the same thing they said for Starfield "The overhaul on our engine is probably the largest we've ever had, maybe even larger than Morrowind to Oblivion," for Skyrim. I asked for evidence and all you could muster up was "they said it was an all new engine" these are not remotely the same and trying to claim they are is disingenuous.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Of course it will.

You'll still get loading screens when transitioning from large cities to large interiors and on fast travel. They might be less than a second, but they'll be there.

Aug 31, 2019
100% they will.

Every time they release a game they talk about how they've overhauled the engine massively, or that it's entirely new or whatever wording they are choosing this year. They do heaps of work between games, don't get me wrong, but the bones have been the same for a very long time. Which is good and bad. Their take on asset loading is really cool and makes their mod scene exceptional. Their take on "indoor and outdoor are completely different", not so much.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, find me another game with the interactability of a Bethesda game and I'll consider it brutual honestly. Most open world games, and even linear ones, are like museums. They're made to walk around and not touch anything. There aren't many games that I can pickpocket guards and have whatever item I gave them or took away from them still there a long time later…. And that's for a 2011 game.

Unless of course when we talk about generations we literally just mean graphics and how pretty a game looks.

You can always tell the people who have little coding & design understanding when any random title's intrinsic value, or more closely...lack of value, is measured by how pretty it looks.

There's so many things BGS titles do under the hood that other titles never even attempt. And while a thousand cheese wheels collected in your house might be big one, there's also other major systems like the model rigging that allows any npc to wear any piece of clothing/armor/weapons in the game (where the ai is coded to "upgrade their gear" when possible).

It's a shame to see BGS get dunked on for focusing on novel & unique game systems running under the surface that have a direct impact on world interactivity and immersion. The ignorance bred from not understanding that any game engine has a hard ceiling on raw computational power. And how a dev has to decide how much resources go into audio-visual presentation vs. interlocking game systems running behind the scenes. How ambitious this work is and challenging it can be to get right (disparate background rulesets playing nice with one another).

BGS attempts to thread the needle between presentation values found in large productions and more systems-driven focused productions found in the indie space such as Project Zomboid. Few devs have successfully balanced these two worlds as well as BGS.

Like I can totally dig it not being one's cup of tea. But it'll never not be baffling to see an enthusiast forum not grasp simple technical bandwidth limitations in game development. And quite frankly it makes talking BGS on Era an exhausting exercise.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
there's also other major systems like the model rigging that allows any npc to wear any piece of clothing/armor/weapons in the game (where the ai is coded to "upgrade their gear" when possible).
Yeah this is a huge one. Being able to kill an NPC and take their gear is great and something that isn't really common in other games outside of them having a separate loot pool that might drop their gear. These kinds of systems are much more meaningful to me than other open world games where you're just meant to walk around and not interact with anything.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They didn't say "entirely new" they said "all new". Which is true, it was the Creation Engine. I'm not playing semantics. You just made a claim that they said the same thing they said for Starfield "The overhaul on our engine is probably the largest we've ever had, maybe even larger than Morrowind to Oblivion," for Skyrim. I asked for evidence and all you could muster up was "they said it was an all new engine" these are not remotely the same and trying to claim they are is disingenuous.
I was about to write a post, but you said it better than I ever could in english.
Pretty sure Gothic 3 Is at least in the Same ballpark, while at the same time doing more stuff than Oblivion. All in a seemless Open World 15 years ago.
Gothic is a good shout actually in terms of interactivity. In terms of loading I am torn actually, because Gothic had much less to load and was released at a time where the IO was still sufficient, whereas Skyrim, Fallout 4, ... released on completely unbalanced hardware with awful IO. Loading games did get worse and not just for Bethesda games for many years. Thus I doubt a newer Gothic on PS3-4 gen hardware (PS, Xbox, PC) would get away with what Gothic 3 did get away with.

We'll see what Bethesda does in Starfield. I think we'll see improvement, but how much is up in the air. I would be shocked to see loading screens for city though.

Last edited:

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I don't expect anything technologically big or miraculous except for large-scale and diverse planets.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
They'll be there. You might not see them on consoles or PCs with fast ssds, but they'll be there, waiting for you.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It will probably use DirectStorage. I expect it to maybe have one or two longer loading screens when loading into a save or maybe going to another planet but I expect the loading times to be nearly instant for everything else as long as you have an SSD.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This is a pretty wild thread. Never thought I'd read that the highly complex simulations that power CE games are outdated.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
"During Oblivion, our new Radiant AI system - which would let all the NPC's in the world think and act on their own - led to some of the best bugs. My favorite was a quest where you had to talk to a prisoner in jail. Sometimes, when play testing, we would find him locked in his cell, dead. It took us forever to figure out why. Turns out, the guards in the jail could run out of food and get hungry. They would then go down and kill the prisoner to take his food. All this happened when the player wasn't there. I still don't remember how we figured it out. But the solution was easy: more guard food! Another similar bug we found was if a person decided to sweep and didn't have a broom, he'd find and kill someone else for it. "

Stuff like this just doesn't seem common in other games where NPCs are programmed to be as rigid as possible and have no decision making of their own. But surely their games are outdated!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Probably a 'longer' initial load on startup, after that very brief loading times, especially on Xbox Series.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018

Stuff like this just doesn't seem common in other games where NPCs are programmed to be as rigid as possible and have no decision making of their own. But surely their games are outdated!

They are a one of a kind company because of ridiculous stuff like this. That's not a complaint either, I just don't think anyone makes games like them. It's always weird seeing the Bethesda hate on here and before Gaf.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Kinda depends if they make the minimum requirement on PC be a SSD. Ultimately I think they'll be there when transitioning from open world to a dungeon or interior, but it will just be a few seconds. If I were to make a list of the things I want from this game, no loading screens is at the very bottom.

Bethesda threads are always bizarre here.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
It will have loading screens on loading screens. It will have the mother of all loading screens relative to other games if their past games are anything to go by.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Kinda depends if they make the minimum requirement on PC be a SSD.

This will kind of start happening soon. Generally speaking, PC is in a funny situation at the moment since technically it can be the least powerful platform. It didn't use to be the case before, but if you base your game around next gen hardware requirements, you end up in a weird place where the low spec PC setup would be worse than the consoles, often times significantly worse.

If people didn't like last gen "holding back" cross gen games, what do they think about min spec PCs... :)

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I definitely think it's possible that the game has one full world cell and doesn't break buildings or settlements into different cells separated by loading screens, but I also think it's possible that they decide to keep that while pushing everything they can up to 11 in terms of world design

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
To add to what I said earlier, the one I'd really like to have in this regard is buildings without loading screens.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah so seamless that it was unplayable at release, it was abandoned by the developers and took the community half a decade to fix it and even if you play it today you will still see just how seamless it is.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I vote no. It's 2022. I have way higher standards for Bethesda. If they can't even get this right, then Starfield is going to be a huge flop.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah so seamless that it was unplayable at release, it was abandoned by the developers and took the community half a decade to fix it and even if you play it today you will still see just how seamless it is.

The game was done by 20 people and rushed out cause the Publisher decided It was time to release It while everyone on the DEV team claimed It will take a lot more time resulting in a fallout between Dev and Pub. It was abandoned, because PB lost the rights to Gothic soon after because of the fallout, resulting in the Expansion for that game being done by a different team.

1 or 2 years in the oven and the game would have been fine at release.