Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I got Berseria, I look forward to it squatting on my PS4 with a smidgen of progress made over time like with Horizon and FF15.

Oct 31, 2017
I like Zestiria but this dumb Iris Gem stuff is a chore. Can't wait to finish it and start Berseria. I'm pretty sure it'll beat Abyss as my favorite Tales of game.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't have known this community thread was still around if not for that spotlight feature.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Finally gonna jump on Berseria with it hitting 19.99 on steam, have some money on my account from selling cards to get the price down further. Looking forward to it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
So, I own both Zestiria and Berseria. My problem is that I played and completed Berseria first. In the middle of my playthrough, I discovered that Berseria is a prequel to Zestiria, so now I feel unsure about playing Zestiria.

Can I still play Zestiria and enjoy it or did I just spoil myself the game by playing Berseria?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So, I own both Zestiria and Berseria. My problem is that I played and completed Berseria first. In the middle of my playthrough, I discovered that Berseria is a prequel to Zestiria, so now I feel unsure about playing Zestiria.

Can I still play Zestiria and enjoy it or did I just spoil myself the game by playing Berseria?

The storylines are completely separate and only one character from Berseria features at all in Zestiria as far as I know, It really doesn't matter which way round you play them

TheMikado

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have so many tales of games and have only completed a couple. I literally have 4-5 sitting that I may never get to :(

datschge

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, of course you can still play Zestiria. It has a lot of issues with how it executes the story so imo it's actually preferable to play Berseria first as it fills some story gaps that Zestiria never bothers with.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any news or expectation that a new tales game is Goin to be announced soon?

Feels like Berseria came out ages ago :p

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Festa (Dec. 17-18) is probably the last chance, at least for the Tales game on Switch. At least, if they still want to get it out this fiscal year like they originally planned.

Adlai

Oct 25, 2017
I still occasionally check what the progress is on the ToDR English patch every couple months. I just looked up when the translation project was announced and it was in 2009... I can't believe I've been waiting almost a decade for it.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
I am at the part where you find the sword demon dudes brother... save got corrupted and I have to start a new game (how far was I?)

That said I immediately loved Bersaria's tone compared to previous tales titles. I could relate to Velvet, even though she was super edgy... A revenge tale is something many can relate to, especially if its that of a loved one.

Oh yea, the dungeons suck and are the worst part of the series imo. Every room is corridor after corridor of copy/pasta visuals.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two years ago I started ToV and ToX at the same time. I planned to play the two in rotation. I ended up finished ToX but never went more than 3 hours into ToV. That game just didn't do it to me. Combat, story, character, everything. Jude was... alright and the princess was downright boring as hell. In fact, I think ToX even looks better. Though I have to say a female protagonist usually increases my interest. I think I'm one of the three people on earth who prefer ToX to ToV.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has already been asked. But do we know what kind of project the Tales thing is for the Switch? Is it just a port or a spin-off? Also, do we know if the next Tales game will be using Unreal Engine 4? I remember an interview where one of the Tales developers said that they were looking into improving graphics.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if this has already been asked. But do we know what kind of project the Tales thing is for the Switch? Is it just a port or a spin-off? Also, do we know if the next Tales game will be using Unreal Engine 4? I remember an interview where one of the Tales developers said that they were looking into improving graphics.

Since they haven't announced it yet, the Tales on Switch is probably just going to be a port of something, assuming they're still trying to get it out this fiscal year like they planned. As fof the mext main game, the only thing I recall them saying for sure is that Berseria would be the last PS3 Tales, nothing on the engine that I recall.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since they haven't announced it yet, the Tales on Switch is probably just going to be a port of something, assuming they're still trying to get it out this fiscal year like they planned. As fof the mext main game, the only thing I recall them saying for sure is that Berseria would be the last PS3 Tales, nothing on the engine that I recall.

Ah, ok. Thanks! Well, I can live with their current engine; It looks ok. I wouldn't be opposed to them using UE4, though. Will be interesting what the Switch project will be. I guess it's not a Berseria port, otherwise we would've known by now.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly, Tales of Legendia will always be my favorite Tales game. The combat was kinda wonky and the character designs weren't my favorite, but the story, characters, and music are all top notch. The area design was also on point.

I just want Go Shiina to do every Tales soundtrack from now on. I'm done being assaulted by Sakuraba's horns.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I have an odd request:

Can everyone please post their 2 favourite tracks from Zestiria, one from Sakuraba and one from Shiina? I'd like to compare both composers at their best according to everyone's opinion, and I've only played Zestiria so I'd like some themes I'd recognize.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I have an odd request:

Can everyone please post their 2 favourite tracks from Zestiria, one from Sakuraba and one from Shiina? I'd like to compare both composers at their best according to everyone's opinion, and I've only played Zestiria so I'd like some themes I'd recognize.
Sakuraba:

Shiina:

The Shiina track in particular is easily one of the best I've heard in the series from the games I'm familiar with so far. Though I occasionally like some of Sakuraba's Tales tracks, my opinion is that his work for other games where he has more leeway to cut loose (i.e., Star Ocean 3, Resonance of Fate) is usually better than most of what he does for this series.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an odd request:

Tbh, just listen to any of Go Shiina's tracks. They all stand out so much compared to Sakuraba's work. Sakuraba has some absolute bangers earlier in the Tales series though, but has been rather stale as of late.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Will look into this. Got the PS3 version of Vesperia while in Japan and have a PS3 just chilling in my car. not doing anything.

I have an odd request:

Shiina:

Sakuraba:

Tbh, just listen to any of Go Shiina's tracks. They all stand out so much compared to Sakuraba's work. Sakuraba has some absolute bangers earlier in the Tales series though, but has been rather stale as of late.

True, I had to go listen to the soundtrack again since every single one of my most memorable songs from that game were made by Shiina.

I think his Berseria output is slightly better to be honest.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
We'll get another version of Tales of Phantasia on the Switch lol.

I would be okay with this if it were a 3D remake. Not another tweak of the PSX version. ToP Cross Edition is already about as good as a 2d version of Phantasia can get.
Yes please finally Phantasia getting that recognition it so deserves; if they could do a Phantasia remake that they gave the same treatment to Destiny and Nikairi Dungeon 1 i'll buy 100 copies. For next Tales mothership on switch I want Bandai Namco to call up Vanillaware to make next title ^_^

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I always preferred Sakuraba's star ocean music to his tales music. Wouldn't mind GO Shiina taking over for next game

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder if it's more likely that Go Shiina will be composing for Tales now, since he's not a Bamco emlpoyee and would be outsourced/contracted like Sakuraba normally is. Assuming that's cheaper of course, I don't actually know for sure.

Xzeon

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games. Its amazing.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games. Its amazing.

This ^ Symphonia is gorgeous and still holds up incredibly well. Something about its music and characters are magical to me. I played it so much on the Gamecube, and after the credits rolled I think it's the only game I've ever started playing through again immediately after finishing.

You can tell a lot of effort went into the game, it has great dungeon variety, different dialogue paths and a deep combat system if you delve into it. Easily a top 10 game ever for me.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Velvet is my favorite character but I think Graces f is my favorite battle system and back-end system for how they work. The reveal near the end of that game that implied that...
Velvet was only pretending to be so monstrous because her culture and religion shows demons as abstract, as evil. When she becomes one, and doesn't actually change much, she forces herself to act differently to fit the abstract. It's only later in the game that she finally began to open up.

I thought that was a nice deconstruction of tropes, and a step up from characterization in the previous titles.

The only thing I dislike about Tales games is that they tend to change things that don't need to be changed, simply to change things.

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, five or so hours in and these Berseria dungeons are as bad as I've heard. Wish I could turn off the minimap because it would probably make me enjoy exploring them more and not rushing to the exit marker. Going from Hearts R with it's well thought out and fun to explore locations to this blandness is a bummer. And the regular combat music is a simply awful guitar cacophony and feels like Sakuraba at his worst.

Still, I'm loving the combat so far with those fun situational R2 abilities for each character. Glad to see that obtuse item fusion stuff from Zestria is different. And the characters and plot seem interesting.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Do you happen to remember where you saw that interview?

Oct 27, 2017
Abyss is my favorite Tales game but it has the same pacing problems, the last third of the game could easily have been cut out

It drags a little, but I thought it did a much better job of keeping things moving, introducing new world states and character tensions, for much longer than subsequent games. Like I can easily remember the stakes and the basic plot from the first, second, and final third, even years later. Newer Tales just start blending into a blur of repetitive traversal and contrived, dragged out character tensions after the first 15 hours or so...

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Berseria a few hours ago actually after getting it at the end of last month.

I haven't cared about Tales of games in a good long time and I really enjoyed this one a ton. I enjoyed the main cast more than most and didn't really have a problem with anyone like I thought I would.

Granted I missed out on a lot of games last generation just out of not really feeling like I would get anything out of it. I need to at least play Vesperia (only played the demo and forgot to play the whole thing before I got rid of my 360.)

Kinda gave me a second wind on the series at least. I started Abyss awhile back but never got far but, maybe ill go back and finish that.