• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Quentin Tarantino Drops ‘The Movie Critic’ As His Final Film

Quentin Tarantino has changed his mind about making The Movie Critic, scrapping the film as his 10th and final project.

EXCLUSIVE: Quentin Tarantino's movies are always full of surprises, and here is one about The Movie Critic we did not expect. Deadline can reveal that Tarantino has dropped the film as his 10th and final project. He simply changed his mind, Deadline has been told.

Tarantino was going to have Brad Pitt as the principal star, which would have marked their third teaming after Inglourious Basterds and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. There were rumors that many from the casts of his past films might take part, and Sony was preparing to make the film after doing such a superb job on the last one.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I mean, maybe he could just make the movie and then make another film if he wants to? This whole "ten films" thing has always been so fucking weird

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it means he's going to make other movies and not retire anytime soon. I still watch Once Upon A Time regularly - it's up there with one of my favorite movies ever.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
The article isn't actually about that, he's apparently scrapping the Movie Critic project entirely, which is surprising.

Sure, but I wonder how much of that stems from putting pressure on himself to make a "final movie". I can see it being easier for doubt to creep in when your mindset is "this is the last film I'll ever make".

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I liked the idea of this film, sorta bummed if he's not doing it.

I'd like his last outing to be something low key for some reason, not got to be a grand epic. But he doesn't really go for minimalism I suppose, the complete opposite

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Good, the premise sounded lame.

I still haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood either (only one of his I haven't seen), despite Tarantino being one of my favorite directors. I have zero interest in the premise there as well. Maybe I'll watch it some day but I really have no motivation to do so. Please make something that's not explicitly about Hollywood/the industry.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A Tarantino movie with Tom Cruise in it sounded wild. Premise didn't necessarily inspire excitement, but I'm sure QT could have pulled something off.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Lol, what a goof.

Yeah, man, your self-imposed ten movie restriction is stupid. He clearly psyched himself out here. He's going to spend years paralyzed in fear trying to find the perfect "final film" when he could simply just not adhere to his own stupid made up rule.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
That sucks, was looking forward to it.

And please no more Kill Bill, two are more than enough. A horror movie would be dope, a psychological thriller/drama even better, but I'm not sure he could pull that off.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Sure, but I wonder how much of that stems from putting pressure on himself to make a "final movie". I can see it being easier for doubt to creep in when your mindset is "this is the last film I'll ever make".

I think that's a huge part. In fact this makes me think the whole "stop at 10 movies" is even more likely, since this was apparently at the casting stage.

He always put it in a way where he wants some random person in the future picking out a movie at a video store (what are those?) to be able to pick out any of his films and feel like they're of similar quality. I don't think that's really the case with his output (Death Proof still gets a generally rough reception, doesn't seem to have improved with time), but that seems to be his governing principle.

He also has a weird little ageist thing where he thinks if you're too old of a director you automatically just can't keep up.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Wow, that's unexpected. Felt like this was finally starting to gain some steam.

QT gotta let this 10 movies thing go. Modern directors don't fall off like they used to, as long as they stay curious about the craft. Spielberg and Marty are cooking like they're in their primes. Maybe mess around in TV again for a bit. Do a paycheck franchise gig. Something! Anything!

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This man is a weirdo, imagine getting cold feet at the last minute with essentially carte blanche because you have a "10 film rule", something nooooooo one gives a fuck about except himself and film nerds who heard about it lol.

Dude wasted his and everyone's time and assumes tomorrow is granted.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
We already heard the pitch, many years ago

Nikki, twisted by Sofia Fatale, seeks revenge on The Bride for the death of her mother, ultimately facing off with BB as the cycle of vengeance continues

Ehhhhhhhh that just sounds like an excuse to make another movie, not really like a part of the story that needs telling.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see another contemporary crime movie from him. I guess he considered doing Stick by Elmore Leonard. Would have loved to seen that.

Oct 27, 2017
His reasoning for only doing 10 films, is that it will preserve his legacy and filmography (as he believes most directors get past their prime and make bad films that tarnish their legacy), but I think it will have the opposite effect. He is one of the handful of directors in Hollywood right now that can get original projects made regularly with sizable budgets, and he's completely squandering his great fortune by throwing in the towel over a silly belief.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
LET'S FUCKING GO

Kill+Bill+waiting.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People are assuming this is because Quentin Tarantino is somehow paralyzed by his own self imposed 10 movie restriction and not because it's just not a project he's passionate about or believes in any longer.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhhhhhh that just sounds like an excuse to make another movie, not really like a part of the story that needs telling.
He wrote Vol 1 and 2 to lay the groundwork to give himself the option to do it 20 years later if he wanted to. Like who survived, the dialogue that The Bride said to Vernita's 4 year old daughter, etc. So while I agree with you, at least the idea isn't just arbitrary.

Here he is talking about it twenty (!) years ago:

ew.com

From 'Kill Bill' to kids: A Q&A with Quentin Tarantino

As 'Kill Bill: Vol. 2' hits theaters, EW spoke with director Quentin Tarantino about his movie, his filmmaking process, and his future.

"Oh yeah, initially I was thinking this would be my "Dollars" trilogy. I was going to do a new one every 10 years. But I need at least 15 years before I do this again. Uma won't be the star, though she'll be in it. The star will be Vernita Green's [Vivica A. Fox's] daughter, Nikki [Ambrosia Kelley]. I've already got the whole mythology: Sofie Fatale [Julie Dreyfus] will get all of Bill's money. She'll raise Nikki, who'll take on the Bride. Nikki deserves her revenge every bit as much as the Bride deserved hers. I might even shoot a couple of scenes for it now so I can get the actresses while they're this age. It's exciting to know that somewhere there's a little girl who'll grow up to be my leading lady"

But he shot it down last year for good when he was trying to get The Film Critic going.