• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Yeah I wasn't crazy about the premise. I'll watch anything the guy makes and I'm sure it would have been cool, but I'm stoked to see what he does instead now

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
People are assuming this is because Quentin Tarantino is somehow paralyzed by his own self imposed 10 movie restriction and not because it's just not a project he's passionate about or believes in any longer.

I'm assuming that merely because of everything he's ever said on the topic, the time he actually takes between film releases (generally not very long), the time it takes to actually complete a film, and his age, which by his own admission is an obstacle.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I misread the thread title and thought QT dropped the idea of The Critic being his final film. He's shit-canning it but still planning on retiring after #10? LOL, I love his films but this is some self-aggrandizing nonsense. Just say you're stepping away until the right project comes along instead of holding yourself to some arbitrary number of films.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming that merely because of everything he's ever said on the topic, the time he actually takes between film releases (generally not very long), the time it takes to actually complete a film, and his age, which by his own admission is an obstacle.

Im not saying he doesn't plan to quit after 10 movies. Im saying thats not necessarily the reason he's no longer doing this film. "Its not 10 worthy" vs He's just not into it anymore and even if he had no limit he'd be dropping it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
LET'S FUCKING GO

Kill+Bill+waiting.jpg

That's all I want and need

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Im not saying he doesn't plan to quit after 10 movies. Im saying thats not necessarily the reason he's no longer doing this film. "Its not 10 worthy" vs He's just not into it anymore and even if he had no limit he'd be dropping it.

It's all speculation but my sense is he's dropping it because he thinks it isn't a worthy bookend to his career. I actually think he's pretty militant about this. He's a strange person, after all.

It's funny in a way cause he said he's completely open to doing a TV series afterwards. He views films as a fundamentally different thing, including his emphasis and continued campaigning that digital photography is the work of the devil, along with his good pals Paul Thomas Anderson and Christopher Nolan.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Idk why people are so hung up on him only wanting to do 10 films. Let the guy do what he wants and if that's all he wants to do, then so be it. Nothing wrong with that.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
This man is a weirdo, imagine getting cold feet at the last minute with essentially carte blanche because you have a "10 film rule", something nooooooo one gives a fuck about except himself and film nerds who heard about it lol.

Dude wasted his and everyone's time and assumes tomorrow is granted.
I mean he wanted to make a good movie. Scrapping ideas is normal in art. The stakes are just higher and the ideas are more public with films/QT.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It sounds less like him being fastidiously committed to 10 films than him losing interest in the idea or it not turning out as well as he hoped. I hope he releases it as a book instead or something.

That said I've been in the minority who think he will genuinely quit after 10 films and this only strengths my feeling he will.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh FFS, wasn't it just recently reported shooting would begin in Q4?

Granted it never sounded super interesting but I was still interested to see what he could do with such an unconventional premise.

These auteurs and their "this is my final film!" stuff smh.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
His reasoning for only doing 10 films, is that it will preserve his legacy and filmography (as he believes most directors get past their prime and make bad films that tarnish their legacy), but I think it will have the opposite effect. He is one of the handful of directors in Hollywood right now that can get original projects made regularly with sizable budgets, and he's completely squandering his great fortune by throwing in the towel over a silly belief.
He's 61 today and it takes him 4/5 years to make a movie. Assuming whatever's next takes a few years now, he'd probably be 70 or close to it by the time movie 11 came out if he didn't stop

Like if he doens't stop at 10, he's getting to like 11 or 12 movies max. We aren't "losing" a tonne of movies or whatever people who are obsessed about this think they are missing out on.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do people not remember he wasn't that steadfast on only 10 films? And he mainly wanted to retire from filmmaking at 60 years old. And he'll more definitely retire if you can't show 35mm film in theatres anymore and it's just digital projection. Also he wanted to keep a good filmography.

"I don't believe you should stay onstage until people are begging you to get off. I like the idea of leaving them wanting a bit more. I do think directing is a young man's game, and I like the idea of an umbilical cord connection from my first to my last movie. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone who thinks differently, but I want to go out while I'm still hard. … I like that I will leave a 10-film filmography, and so I've got two more to go after this. It's not etched in stone, but that is the plan. If I get to the 10th, do a good job and don't screw it up, well that sounds like a good way to end the old career. If, later on, I come across a good movie, I won't not do it just because I said I wouldn't. But 10 and done, leaving them wanting more — that sounds right."

"I'm going to write novels and cinema literature, stuff like that. I would add more to that. If it actually gets to the place where you can't show 35mm film in theatres anymore and everything is digital projection, I won't even make it to 60."

"Who knows what I'll do? I just don't want to be an old-man filmmaker. I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don't get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f—s up three good ones. I don't want that bad, out-of-touch comedy in my filmography, the movie that makes people think, 'Oh man, he still thinks it's 20 years ago.' When directors get out-of-date, it's not pretty."

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
A movie about a person writing film reviews always seemed like a tough concept to make into an interesting movie.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be said in every QT thread, but...

Just because he talks about an idea, doesn't mean he was ever that serious about it. Kill Bill 3 has as much chance of happening as the Vega Brothers movie.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Tarantino's self-imposed limit is a weird one, and it seems to me like he's obsessed with the idea of never making a "bad" movie.

Personally I feel that QT's output since Django has gotten increasingly naval-gazy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he will end up choosing something a bit more crowd-pleasing and punchy (and bloody) for his last hurrah.

Kill Bill 3 is an obvious slam dunk in that regard, and maybe it's nostalgia talking but I would be far more excited for that than the Film Critic, which sounds more like OUATIH part 2 (not a bad thing!).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the QT that made Once Upon a Time and Inglorious Basterds going back to Kill Bill. Kill Bill/DeathProof just feel like a different era for him. I think like someone mentioned above a Kill Bill sequel is just a thing he talked about because QT has a million ideas a minute.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
This has to be said in every QT thread, but...

Just because he talks about an idea, doesn't mean he was ever that serious about it. Kill Bill 3 has as much chance of happening as the Vega Brothers movie.
I'm still waiting for a wide release of The Whole Bloody Affair. Django Unchained Directors Cut. And the 4 hour cut of Once Upon a Time In Hollywood that was about "a year away" four years ago..

Feb 9, 2018
Kill Bill Vol 3.

Pls.
He has hinted at the possibility of a third one before, though the last time he talked about it he said he probably won't make it. I recall hearing about a potential plot involving Elle taking the "blind master" role with Vernita's daughter as her apprentice, kinda following up on Beatrix telling her "When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting."

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
This man is a weirdo, imagine getting cold feet at the last minute with essentially carte blanche because you have a "10 film rule", something nooooooo one gives a fuck about except himself and film nerds who heard about it lol.

Dude wasted his and everyone's time and assumes tomorrow is granted.

Not singling out your post specifically, addressing the whole 10 film thing in general.

So yeah he could just make more than 10 movies.

Orrr, he could also just you know, do what he wants to do.

You're right, no one gives a fuck but him, and that's all that matters. If it matters to him, it's not hurting anyone and he only wants to do 10, let him do what he fucking wants and do 10.

Never understand everyone always going, fuck what he wants, I want him to do what I want instead.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He has hinted at the possibility of a third one before, though the last time he talked about it he said he probably won't make it. I recall hearing about a potential plot involving Elle taking the "blind master" role with Vernita's daughter as her apprentice, kinda following up on Beatrix telling her "When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting."

He's hinted at like a dozen different things that never came to fruition. He just sort of says everything he's thinking without much filter and probably eventually loses interest. It's also why it's kind of funny that people take him so strictly at his word about the 10 movie thing. Tarantino is just a guy with a million ideas.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
"Who knows what I'll do? I just don't want to be an old-man filmmaker. I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don't get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f—s up three good ones. I don't want that bad, out-of-touch comedy in my filmography, the movie that makes people think, 'Oh man, he still thinks it's 20 years ago.' When directors get out-of-date, it's not pretty."

This quote confirms to me that the man cares way too much about his filmography being "tainted" by a single "bad" movie. I don't agree at all about one dud undermining numerous quality ones, seems like a strange way to view art and legacy IMO.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care what he makes, as long as he makes something he's feeling. And that it's not Kill Bill, please god anything but that.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
thats crazy, but good for him i'd rather he do something he is excited and passionate about than something he is unsure of

(yeah yeah feet shots)

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Has Tarantino ever had a film this far along in preproduction and called it off? Because I think that is what is making people think he's being precious about his 10 movie limit.

I think artists should have control of their career and I kind of respect him wanting to control his legacy, but ultimately that's impossible. There are already plenty of people that think he peaked with those first 3 films (or even the first 2).

He probably should have just kept the 10 movies idea to himself but then again, the man loves to talk.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, the premise sounded lame.

I still haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood either (only one of his I haven't seen), despite Tarantino being one of my favorite directors. I have zero interest in the premise there as well. Maybe I'll watch it some day but I really have no motivation to do so. Please make something that's not explicitly about Hollywood/the industry.
You're doing yourself a huge disservice. I think it's his best movie.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This quote confirms to me that the man cares way too much about his filmography being "tainted" by a single "bad" movie. I don't agree at all about one dud undermining numerous quality ones, seems like a strange way to view art and legacy IMO.
He probably saw how Coppola, Argento, Altman, Zemeckis, and others went out with their later films and was like I wanna be like Kubrick or Tarkovsky and just wait until he can make bangers each time.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
For no reason at all, I'm thinking he might feel The Movie Critic is better off existing in another form. I find it hard to believe he would put this much work into a project and just bury it.

Also, David Lynch only has 10 movies he directed. But he also directed the entirety of Twin Peaks The Return, and that could very well be the best thing he's ever done, so I won't be too broken about Tarantino only doing 10 films.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
After his final movie releases, hope he goes on to have a fulfilling life post motive directing. A lot of his films have stood the test of time with me.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'd consider myself a Tarantino fan and I just didn't care for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, wasn't really excited about the premise for this one either, so I'm not really bummed to hear the news.

Would have still given it a fair chance like any film in his body of work 🤷🏻‍♂️

As others have said, the 10 movie limit is fucking weird; why cap your potential to create art?

Last edited:

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Motherfucker just make more than 10! It's not hard. If you're so in love with making it a round number, make it 20 or whatever. This is embarrassing. The Movie Critic sounded so great and now it'll go down as one of those major what ifs in movie history.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is weird. I personally think he does not have to make a movie if he doesn't want to make that movie and I'm glad he's not going forward with a movie that he's not feeling anymore.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Just don't do another revisionist fantasy western thingy, do something with killers and gangsters and heists again, lots of stars, betrayal.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan of Tarantino so I was looking forward to him being done, but this seemed like an odd premise to go out on.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Motherfucker just make more than 10! It's not hard. If you're so in love with making it a round number, make it 20 or whatever. This is embarrassing. The Movie Critic sounded so great and now it'll go down as one of those major what ifs in movie history.

For real. Tarantino is my fav but I'm so fucking annoyed with his insistence on stopping at ten because his nonsense view that old filmmakers are bad.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
For real. Tarantino is my fav but I'm so fucking annoyed with his insistence on stopping at ten because his nonsense view that old filmmakers are bad.
Spielberg, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Miyazaki, putting out career best work in their 80s, making him look like a moron. Friedkin died and his final movie was a masterclass. I love him but his thesis is dead wrong, and based on factors that don't apply to auteur filmmakers today (and certainly wouldn't apply to him).

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the movie sounded interesting and had some great people potentially starring but yeah, doesn't seem like a big movie to end your career on