• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
No way Uma Thurman will ever work with him again and I don't think he'll do a Kill Bill without her.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty surprising given how far along this one was. Tons of rumors as far as casting and recently it was reported to start shooting this fall I believe? Wonder how long the next project will take now.
For no reason at all, I'm thinking he might feel The Movie Critic is better off existing in another form. I find it hard to believe he would put this much work into a project and just bury it.
I still think this is part of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tarantino scripts/ideas popping up in other mediums. It seems like he enjoyed writing the OUATIH book + cinema speculation.
Given Tarantino's last batch of films, he's kinda getting there.
His last movie is a certified classic and easily one of the best works of his career. But go off.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
I do not think we will ever see a kill bill 3 and to be honest I don't understand why people want it

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Now how will Jon Lovitz restart his career!?

He probably saw how Coppola, Argento, Altman, Zemeckis, and others went out with their later films and was like I wanna be like Kubrick or Tarkovsky and just wait until he can make bangers each time.

10 for Spielberg would have been Last Crusade.
10 for Scorsese would have been Color of Money.
10 for Hitchcock wouldn't have gotten him out of the 1920s.
10 for Spike Lee would be Girl 6.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did they have a falling out? I always thought QT viewed Uma Thurman as a muse (of sorts).
As noted, there's some controversy regarding the car crash in KB. Uma was surprised / disheartened that some of the problem came about from QT's own disregard for safety. But AFAIK, he apologized and they made up.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
LET'S FUCKING GO

Kill+Bill+waiting.jpg
Zendaya ready to go.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually liked the premise of this, and thought something kinda meta about film and the discourse around cinema would be fitting to go out on.

That being said I'm gonna echo everyone else and say that the 10 movie limit thing is really dumb. It's one thing if he feels like he only has that many in him but it clearly mostly seems fear driven.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I too agree with the 10 limit being stupid. If he sticks to it, then go out with a bang, by making another crazy genre movie, maybe some sci fi finally?

And I hope he then makes tv shows. Writing, directing, while technically not breaking his own no more movies rule.😆

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Good, the premise of The Movie Critic sounded boring to me. I did not want to see another movie in the style of Once Apon A Time In Hollywood right after that from him and especially not as his last movie.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
As noted, there's some controversy regarding the car crash in KB. Uma was surprised / disheartened that some of the problem came about from QT's own disregard for safety. But AFAIK, he apologized and they made up.

Yeah, and there's no real reason to think Uma wouldn't be down for it. I think some folks here hold a grudge about that more than Uma Thurman. Granted personally I don't think this is a movie that will be made Or even tried. QT isn't talking it up now.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
He's 61 today and it takes him 4/5 years to make a movie. Assuming whatever's next takes a few years now, he'd probably be 70 or close to it by the time movie 11 came out if he didn't stop

Like if he doens't stop at 10, he's getting to like 11 or 12 movies max. We aren't "losing" a tonne of movies or whatever people who are obsessed about this think they are missing out on.

On one hand I agree. On the other hand we have Spielberg, Ridley Scott, and Scorsese who have a mean age of 81+ years old still pumping out movies lol. So that probably skews some people's opinions.

Do people not remember he wasn't that steadfast on only 10 films? And he mainly wanted to retire from filmmaking at 60 years old. And he'll more definitely retire if you can't show 35mm film in theatres anymore and it's just digital projection. Also he wanted to keep a good filmography.

"I don't believe you should stay onstage until people are begging you to get off. I like the idea of leaving them wanting a bit more. I do think directing is a young man's game, and I like the idea of an umbilical cord connection from my first to my last movie. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone who thinks differently, but I want to go out while I'm still hard. … I like that I will leave a 10-film filmography, and so I've got two more to go after this. It's not etched in stone, but that is the plan. If I get to the 10th, do a good job and don't screw it up, well that sounds like a good way to end the old career. If, later on, I come across a good movie, I won't not do it just because I said I wouldn't. But 10 and done, leaving them wanting more — that sounds right."

"I'm going to write novels and cinema literature, stuff like that. I would add more to that. If it actually gets to the place where you can't show 35mm film in theatres anymore and everything is digital projection, I won't even make it to 60."

"Who knows what I'll do? I just don't want to be an old-man filmmaker. I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don't get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f—s up three good ones. I don't want that bad, out-of-touch comedy in my filmography, the movie that makes people think, 'Oh man, he still thinks it's 20 years ago.' When directors get out-of-date, it's not pretty."

Not sure I 100% agree about his director's filmography in later years topic, but otherwise this seems reasonable. He wants to go out with a banger before his work gets long in the tooth (inb4 people who already think this about his filmography) which is fine IMO. And it sounds like he's not above scrapping a work that apparently isn't working out (Movie Critic). But he also states he wouldn't not do a movie if a good idea came across after his 10th, so...OK? Sounds good to me.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Y'all gotta relax about the 10 movie thing.

This thread is weird. I personally think he does not have to make a movie if he doesn't want to make that movie and I'm glad he's not going forward with a movie that he's not feeling anymore.
I don't even like Tarantino and find this thread weirdly aggressive. Who calls someone a moron because they don't want to make a movie? How aggrieved are that you think that's a reasonable response.

Good for other directors working into their 80s because they want to, it's weird to actually hold other people to that standard.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I bet he spent the last 6 months leveraging Barbenheimer sea change to get himself a billion dollar budget and a movie to go with it

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any director for whom people actually say "you should have stopped at 10, you are poisoning your reputation"? Like the only person that comes to mind is Kevin Smith.
Maybe 10 wouldn't be the magic number for some of these, but possible answers to your question: Francis Ford Coppola, John Carpenter, Robert Zemeckis, Chris Columbus, Ron Howard.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I'm bummed, I was looking forward to this. The premise sounded interesting and I wanted to see the ending of Rolling Thunder remade by Tarantino.
I hope we'll be able to read it soon.

RockAction

Oct 27, 2017
it'll be hard to top OUAIH honestly, there's such a quiet strength or maturity in the direction of it while watching like the director knows what they're doing now so everything just flows, not to mention the characters, story and performances

the premise of the new one sounded interesting and i wanted to see his take on the late 70s, especially with Cruise on board, but it didn't seem QT-worthy unless he had some twist to it we were not aware of which obviously he didn't find in the end

he should probably just leave it at the 9 (technically 10) now and supervise others making films from his ideas then when he hits upon a great one (I'd still like to see Killer Crow) then he steps in and directs it and finishes the 10

i also very much enjoyed the novelisation of OUATIH (less so his essays about cinema and Hollywood which i was looking forward to reading) so if he wants to write instead that would be great, there's at least a couple books in the Basterds universe to be written

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Tarantino has explained why he's stopping at 10 films many times now and if that is his decision as a creative then that's his decision.

Why are people being weird about it?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any director for whom people actually say "you should have stopped at 10, you are poisoning your reputation"? Like the only person that comes to mind is Kevin Smith.
His example when talking about it is Billy Wilder, but I doubt his reputation was actually tarnished. In fact he made some pretty good films later in life, just not classics.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Though I'd love a sequel to Kill Bill and him reuniting with Uma, I seriously don't think Quentin is the kind of writer/director who'd make a late sequel to one of his earlier films to be his final film. I am still hoping to see him direct Cruise (with Uma!) in his next film.
Ridley Scott? Maybe not at exactly 10 but you know.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Once Upon a time...was wack as fuck but I am still day 1 for whatever he has next.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Though I'd love a sequel to Kill Bill and him reuniting with Uma, I seriously don't think Quentin is the kind of writer/director who'd make a late sequel to one of his earlier films to be his final film. I am still hoping to see him direct Cruise (with Uma!) in his next film.

Ridley Scott? Maybe not at exactly 10 but you know.
He was always hit and miss. But he still has some really solid hits these days.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Anyone know if the directors cut of Hollywood is worth a watch? Anything substantial added?

10 rule is dumb...

I get wanting a perfect movie, but there's no such thing. People thought Bladerunner was garbage ffs. Now it's looked at as perf.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
He should just keep making films til they turn to shit or he gets tired of it. No need to put an expiration date on everything.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
This man is a weirdo, imagine getting cold feet at the last minute with essentially carte blanche because you have a "10 film rule", something nooooooo one gives a fuck about except himself and film nerds who heard about it lol.

Dude wasted his and everyone's time and assumes tomorrow is granted.
Guy didn't waste anyone's time, he changed his mind and that's it. Good for him I guess

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I know there are a lot of people out there that don't like OUATIH, but I just don't get it. It's one of my favourite films of all time. A modern classic
I like it, but less than all Tarantino movies.

It's kind of just a...hangout movie. It doesn't have strong forward momentum, the story and themes are sort of hazy, and it centers around a "what-if" scenario but doesn't really go into the consequences of the "what-if".

I think all of that is deliberate, but it wasn't gripping for me in the way most of his other movies are.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
It's probably his worst work and definitely far from his best but that's another topic.

Maybe I'm in a bubble but I'd say this is a minority opinion at this point. I think it might be a little overrated but among a lot of the more hardcore fans of his work it seems like that and Jackie Brown are considered his best work, while in the more mainstream arena more foot-on-the-gas epics like Pulp and Inglorious Basterds still reign supreme.

I personally don't think he's made a bad movie but if I was considering his least essential work I'd definitely say Hateful Eight and Django rank somewhere near the bottom for me.

EDIT: Also him doing a Kill Bill sequel would be mad disappointing IMO. Despite the infamous tease in Vol. 1 nothing about that movie really *needs* a sequel. I would rather see him go out on something more reflective. Plus, given how things went down, I have my doubts that Uma would do it.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Tarantino has explained why he's stopping at 10 films many times now and if that is his decision as a creative then that's his decision.

Why are people being weird about it?
I concur that it's his decision and should be respected, but I do understand why people are so weird about it. His films are mostly well loved and are legitimate events when they are released. I would argue that, with the possible exceptions of Steven Spielberg or Alfred Hitchcock, that nobody else's name in the director role will call as much attention to a film as Tarantino's does - to the point where it supersedes the actors performing in it and even the contents of the film itself. Even luminaries like Pollock, Scorsese, Coppola, and Lee aren't quite on the same level. I can see Jordan Peele getting there some day if he keeps up his streak of quality, but we're early in his career.