• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Kill Bride, let's fucking go
main-qimg-244f5f5548e3389a41a2a741024f5615

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Maybe I'm in a bubble but I'd say this is a minority opinion at this point. I think it might be a little overrated but among a lot of the more hardcore fans of his work it seems like that and Jackie Brown are considered his best work, while in the more mainstream arena more foot-on-the-gas epics like Pulp and Inglorious Basterds still reign supreme.

I personally don't think he's made a bad movie but if I was considering his least essential work I'd definitely say Hateful Eight and Django rank somewhere near the bottom for me.

EDIT: Also him doing a Kill Bill sequel would be mad disappointing IMO. Despite the infamous tease in Vol. 1 nothing about that movie really *needs* a sequel. I would rather see him go out on something more reflective. Plus, given how things went down, I have my doubts that Uma would do it.

Pretty much this, though I'd easily toss Once Upon at the bottom of his works.

As he's gone along, he's certainly polished his style more, but it seems to have come more at a cost of more engaging stories and arcs and just fallen into a little more predictable Tarantino navel gazing. I also preferred when he didn't constantly fall back to the same stars for his leads and would elevate smaller actors or actors that were seemingly in a rut/typecast and would pull some really good work out of them (Scorsese also tends to use the same leads, but I've never been much of a fan so I'm less bothered by it there). We still get some of that in the supporting roles, at least.

KB was a blast but I'm also in the "let's do something new" category. I'm franchised out and Tarantino at his best can do some really interesting, quirky work, and I'd far sooner see more of that.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
Multiverse movie about a director who can't decide what his last film will be about.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino could have walked away from The Movie Critic for any number of reasons. He's told of how he nearly put Inglorious Basterds on the shelf because he couldn't find an actor to portray Hans Landa convincingly (he needed someone who was fluent in English, French, German, and a little Italian.) It was only when he found Christoph Waltz that QT said, "It looks like we're making a movie."

I bet he spent the last 6 months leveraging Barbenheimer sea change to get himself a billion dollar budget and a movie to go with it
QT has said he considers OUATIH to be the climax of his career, and that the tenth film would be a little more "epilog-y." and that doesn't sound big budget.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I like it, but less than all Tarantino movies.

It's kind of just a...hangout movie. It doesn't have strong forward momentum, the story and themes are sort of hazy, and it centers around a "what-if" scenario but doesn't really go into the consequences of the "what-if".

I think all of that is deliberate, but it wasn't gripping for me in the way most of his other movies are.

It's a movie of incredible individual moments, that pushes forward to an ending that nobody saw coming.

There was forward momentum as they introduced the characters - people we have read about the murders in real life so it's slowly piecing together the tension of how those murders transpired.

I certainly didn't expect that ending when I walked into the movie and the theater I saw it in here in BK were just as surprised by it. Everyone thought it would go the way it historically went….until it didn't.

For me it's in his top 2-3 best films easily.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I concur that it's his decision and should be respected, but I do understand why people are so weird about it. His films are mostly well loved and are legitimate events when they are released. I would argue that, with the possible exceptions of Steven Spielberg or Alfred Hitchcock, that nobody else's name in the director role will call as much attention to a film as Tarantino's does - to the point where it supersedes the actors performing in it and even the contents of the film itself. Even luminaries like Pollock, Scorsese, Coppola, and Lee aren't quite on the same level. I can see Jordan Peele getting there some day if he keeps up his streak of quality, but we're early in his career.
"Luminaries" like Sydney Pollock and Francis Ford Coppola are probably careers that Tarantino wants to avoid.

Look at Pollock, did Absence of Malice, Tootsie and Out of Africa in the 80s then a string of drek in the 90s.

Coppola had a lot of great movies in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But, also some bad movies in-between the good ones. Like Jack in the 90s. Remember Jack? The movie where Robin Williams plays a 10 year old boy?

Yeah, perhaps Tarantino wants to avoid his Jack moment and get out while the getting is good.

Also, there's whatever it was Coppola was trying to do in the early 2000s.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Kill Bill is his best work imo, but the fact that he already made two movies in that universe and that Pt. 2 wrapped up the loose end that I actually cared about from it would make a sequel be ehhh. If anything I think another movie in the Pulp Fiction universe would be more interesting since that world felt like it had a lot to it and it's probably his most beloved film, but honestly I don't see a sequel to either of those being something he'd want to do.

I like Once Upon A Time, I think it's in the upper half of his movies, very well made, though it is kinda meandering and slow (if intentionally so, but it's not to my tastes). I'd be more interested in something like it than a lot of things he could be doing, though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Maybe 10 wouldn't be the magic number for some of these, but possible answers to your question: Francis Ford Coppola, John Carpenter, Robert Zemeckis, Chris Columbus, Ron Howard.
No Bram Stoker's Dracula or The Rainmaker, no Cast Away or Flight, hell Ron Howard basically only starts putting out good movies after his 10th. Carpenter and Columbus might have a point, but I'd say that Carpenter is also very precious about what movies he makes, and could probably deliver something great if he came out of retirement.
Though I'd love a sequel to Kill Bill and him reuniting with Uma, I seriously don't think Quentin is the kind of writer/director who'd make a late sequel to one of his earlier films to be his final film. I am still hoping to see him direct Cruise (with Uma!) in his next film.

Ridley Scott? Maybe not at exactly 10 but you know.
If Ridley stops at 10 he doesn't even make it to Gladiator, let alone Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, The Martian, The Last Duel...

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Death Proof 2 lets go!!!
Honestly, whatever his last movie ends up being Im gonna be there to enjoy it.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I wonder if anyone at Paramount is making a push to convince the suits to offer him a blank check and free rein to make a Star Trek movie.

Also I really hope to see him do more collaborations with Robert Rodriguez in the future. From Dusk Till Dawn remains the actual best Tarantino movie.

Oct 28, 2017
I want to see him tackle something resevoir dogs, true romance, pulp fiction, jackie brown-esque. sleezy crime stuff. doesn't necessarily have to be modern, but his last 4 movies have been historical in setting so it'd be fresh to return to his roots a bit

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
sheer-fucking-hubris-star-trek.gif

Being serious now, I'm excited for whatever he ends up doing.

But I still want his take on Star Trek. ☹️

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
He's already made a not good movie with H8tful Eight so someone remind him he doesn't have some perfect run. It's ok to fail you dumbass.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
No way Uma Thurman will ever work with him again and I don't think he'll do a Kill Bill without her.

What happened with him and Uma?

She got a permanent injury from a car crash on set from that opening scene from Kill Bill Vol 2. She came out about it while also speaking about her experience with Weinstein and at the time said she swore off doing any more films with Tarantino.

Now her daughter, Maya Hawke, was in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood so maybe the two are on better terms but that admission did kind of expose why Volume 3 never happened.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be said in every QT thread, but...

Just because he talks about an idea, doesn't mean he was ever that serious about it. Kill Bill 3 has as much chance of happening as the Vega Brothers movie.

Believe no QT project is actually happening until you're in the theater watching it is my motto

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
He's already made a not good movie with H8tful Eight so someone remind him he doesn't have some perfect run. It's ok to fail you dumbass.

I mean people have been saying "this is his worst movie" or "I wish he would go back to making movies like he used to" since Jackie Brown.

Personally I'd rather watch Hateful Eight over OUATIH any day. I like all his films though.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I mean people have been saying "this is his worst movie" or "I wish he would go back to making movies like he used to" since Jackie Brown.

Personally I'd rather watch Hateful Eight over OUATIH any day. I like all his films though.
Hateful Eight is easily my favorite of all of them. Poor OB!

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Tarantino has explained why he's stopping at 10 films many times now and if that is his decision as a creative then that's his decision.

Why are people being weird about it?

Some of us are also creative types. It's weird. Counterintuitive to creating art, on its face. Maybe it works for him but it does seem like it creates an expectation for the art. Why not stop at 9? OUATIH is basically perfect, if that is the goal maybe he should just stop? 🤷‍♂️

QT is a talker. Maybe he's not actually attached to the number, but as an observer, the notion of 10 is weird.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Tarantino should still make his Star Trek movie, but as a TV Pilot. Easy way for him to circumvent his self-imposed limit. Talk about having his cake and eating it.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Dude is going to overthink what his self-imposed final movie is going to be so much that he will die without ever making it. Which will make Once Upon a Time in Hollywood his 10th and final film anyway since Kill Bill is actually 2 movies.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
"Luminaries" like Sydney Pollock and Francis Ford Coppola are probably careers that Tarantino wants to avoid.

Look at Pollock, did Absence of Malice, Tootsie and Out of Africa in the 80s then a string of drek in the 90s.

Coppola had a lot of great movies in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But, also some bad movies in-between the good ones. Like Jack in the 90s. Remember Jack? The movie where Robin Williams plays a 10 year old boy?

Yeah, perhaps Tarantino wants to avoid his Jack moment and get out while the getting is good.

Also, there's whatever it was Coppola was trying to do in the early 2000s.
Oh I agree with you 100%. I was just kinda ranking Tarantino as an attraction versus other directors who were names in their respective times.