Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
LeBron James rookie card sells for record $5.2 million (espn.com)
Mike Trout rookie card sells for record $3.93M at auction - CBSSports.com

Some big name rookie cards have recently sold for a lot of money, so now people are going crazy trying to get them because they think it will make them rich. It actually predates the Pokemon stuff and you have stuff like people camping out trucks and having their employee friends hide product.

People are literally buying all the product up as soon as they are taken off the truck. Like one or two people buying out entire stores. This is also happening because of safety reasons

Not unless the cards are selling for big money.

according to tcgplayer, the new set's full art Lightning cards are selling for 250 apiece, more if they're foil. I dunno how they'd get more expensive than that for cards still in print.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most retailers I've seen have long stopped selling yugioh packs/boxes cuz I'm assuming a bunch of people would pull out the valuable cards and then reseal. Been pretty frustrating on top of the nonsense of GftP with what I'm assuming are people trying to cash in

Surprised Pokemon got the axe way after yugioh though

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
So now bots can buy them up? Cool. Lmao wtf. I would always get notifications some ETB was in stock and it never was when I clicked it. Bots buy them all up instantly. I stopped a couple months ago the shits ridiculous online and in store.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
You could probably make at least a little bit of something if you sold them as a bulk set, or give them away to some relative kid or something.

I would I just don't have the time or space. I'm donating a bunch of stuff to Friends of the Children but they don't want my old star wars cards lol (I asked). I bet they would want my Pokemon cards, if I had any.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'll just remember with fondness the times when a booster pack of whatever was around $2.50 and a starter was maybe $10 at the upper end. Stuff got crazy since the last time I played any of these.
Yup. I remember I was so excited when my weekly allowance got high enough for me to buy two packs a week and a structure deck if I mowed my grandparents yard too. Now... It just feels and sounds like work to even get cards and it's all about the meta. Glad I ducked out them when I did.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't blame him personally. This started because he bought a Charizard for a crazy amount of money after his dog destroyed his old one. He was a legit collector.

After him you had Logic do the same, but his reasoning is that he couldn't afford to collect Pokemon cards as a child and wanted to spend.

The issue is that people saw this money and thought they could become rich.

ManaBeast

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2021
So are my collections of Pokémon, yugioh, and magic gathering cards worth anything?

I started buying eBay auctions of random assortments back in 2012 as a hobby, now they're taking up space.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
So the cost of maintaining lines and limits wasn't worth the cost. Not surprised.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I was just at Target the other day, and they had a ton of Pokemon cards in stock. Is this scarcity region specific..?

They recently instituted a one item per person rule that actually helped the situation and stock was staying on shelves.

However due to a couple increased violent incidents in past few days it seems they just said "fuck it we out"

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I volunteer at a game store and let me tell you that Pokemon is in a pretty crazy state. I spoke with the shop owner at length about it and the stock situation is dire. He's waiting on order fulfillment from last year and he's been allocated on everything he gets. When he gets stock in, he is out in less than a day. He does hold limited product for regulars, but not whole boxes.

From a production standpoint, printers are running 24x7, but the biggest hurdle for Pokemon right now is that the printers are all in Asia. Magic has printers in the US, Asia, and Europe, so production issues are non existent, really. He's seen his latest batch of magic product come from Belgian printers, as an example. Another game that is having issues right now is Flesh and Blood because production is from Australia.

For the target scenario, I can see that it's likely two fold. One, Excel (it's supplier for TCGs) can't get enough stock in to fulfill orders for Target. Two, it's a liability thing for Target stores. Excel rep comes, doesn't stock Pokemon, customers that waited get angry and take it out on target employees. There is no winner here.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
So are my collections of Pokémon, yugioh, and magic gathering cards worth anything?

I started buying eBay auctions of random assortments back in 2012 as a hobby, now they're taking up space.
Don't know shit about magic, but if the yugioh and pokemon cards are from old sets and are in good condition and have a 1st edition stamp, then your odds are really good.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I won't be surprised if other stores follow suit soon.

I wonder how much my old baseball cards that were certainly overproduced might be worth these days.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this in-store sign, this sales stoppage is "until further notice":

E-Ridge-Rochester-NY.jpg

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be surprised if other stores follow suit soon.

I wonder how much my old baseball cards that were certainly overproduced might be worth these days.

Depends on what you have, but probably not much.

I remember in the late 80s/early 90s hockey and baseball cards were all the rage. Fueled by even older cards going for such a high value, everyone jumped in (myself included). *If* I could find cards in stores, I would buy the entire box and ask if they have sealed boxes they would sell me. I was 15 and spent all my part time job money on this.

If I could find a rookie card of someone having a breakout season, I would buy it.

A few years ago when we moved, i found them. Cards in great shape, cases of cards still sealed. Price tags still ok them.
They are worth exactly what I paid for them at the time, which isn't much when you factor in 30 years of inflation

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
So is it just all Pokemon cards that are sought after or is it a specific series that has people going nuts?
Certain sets with highly desired cards are extremely hard to find for msrp. The recent set with shiny pokemon (rare alternate color variants) Shining Fates is impossible to find on the shelves. Other product is easier to get (like the most recent set Battle Styles.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a shortage of paper or ink?

Why can't they just print more?

Demand is insane right now. There's a lot of people making money by just opening packs on camera and a lot of people are trying to get in on it. And I can imagine companies are hesitant to open the floodgates by increasing how much they print because a) this is clearly a bubble and they don't want to deal with huge amounts of unsold stock when it ends and b) all the hype is increasing sales and they don't want to kill it completely.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a camp-out line outside of Walmart a few days ago and thought it was for ps5s or something. I asked someone in line and they said it was for "sports cards". I have no idea what's going on in that scene right now, but have at it.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
This is sad and funny to me. I feel bad for people, mostly the kids, who just wanna buy packs to open. But I'm laughing at all those scalpers who now have to deal with bots.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Late-stage capitalism is the bestest. People trying to kill each other over making scraps from selling children's toys.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Magic the Gathering boosters: Am I a joke to you?

They already took Pokemon cards away at my store. All they had was Magic and some Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
For anyone confused about this, I work at a major retailer and it's really bad guys. Some of the people who scalp are really, really nasty. Props to Target for this move. It's just not fair to the employees at all to have to deal with these man babies.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, who's buying this stuff second hand anyways?

I have a bunch of old Pokemon Cards just sitting in boxes. If someone wants to take them off my hands for a hundy have at it. But I just checked on eBay and they're not exactly exploding in value. I don't get it.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain this to me?

I only play YGO so I'm completely put of the loop here

What's causing the sudden surge in Pokemon cards?
Shadowless Charizard card selling for $300k. Compound this with influencers buying tons of packs to find valuable singles and now everyone is looking for Pikachu's next golden ticket.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'll just remember with fondness the times when a booster pack of whatever was around $2.50 and a starter was maybe $10 at the upper end. Stuff got crazy since the last time I played any of these. The last thing I ever bought was a booster pack of Deciper's Star Wars CCG Death Star II expansion. Got a Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight card and eBayed it for $40ish I think.

My daughter got into Pokemon in late 2019 and it used to be so easy to buy random packs or decks and we had a lot of fun learning to play together. Good thing she has sizable collection cause the only cards she's got in the last year were three in a box of cereal the other week.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the world we live in. It's fucking insane. My kid was jazzed to get a pack with my Happy Meal at MCD, only to find out people are hoarding them from there too. Nothing like seeing a 4 year old crushed because some adults are pricks.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
Yup happened a few days ago at a target in Milwaukee. Some guy cut in front of ppl and they jumped him. Someone pulled a gun out and shot it in the air smh.

Dec 12, 2017
I had no idea there was such a frenzy around current, sealed product for Pokemon, I knew the old stuff blew up but I didn't know people were buying all the sealed product they could get their hands on. Crazy. It's only just people trying to pull rare cards and get them graded?
Same. The thread title straight up confused me

Oct 25, 2017
People don't realise they're being fucking hustled by influencers on this shit with stuff like the 300k charizards. Yeah one sold at that price. they're not exactly fucking moving at 300k. Most go at 600 audish. which is already fucking stupid.