• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Who would that be? I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about with my wife lol
Matty Healy, a guy she dated briefly very shortly after breaking up with her longtime (six years) boyfriend Joe Alwyn. All the track names alluded to it being about Joe. I'm very curious to see the reaction overall too lol. To be fair though some tracks definitely seem to allude to Joe.

First impressions from the album is that it has a few stellar tracks on it but overall I've got mixed feelings.
I really liked Fortnight, Fresh Out The Slammer, loml, Down Bad, I can Do it With a Broken Heart, and Clara Bow. I think Fortnight is my favorite, just hits everything right for what I love from her. Especially that outro.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jack Antonoff is basketball player Jamal Crawford. A reliable bench player who would go off for 30+ points every once in a while (see: Cruel Summer, which is Crawford's 52-point game). Midnights is basically all Antonoff but at no point does he put up more than 20.
lol, not a comparison I was expecting to see but I love it

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I have emerged from my first time Evermore and Folklore listening.

Both are really good. No outright bad or boring songs on either of them. Folklore is my favourite of the two.

Here are the standout songs for me so far after the initial listen.

Folklore:

1. the 1
2. cardigan
4. exile
5. my tears ricochet
7. seven
8. august
9. this is me trying
12. mad woman
14. betty
17. the lakes

Evermore:

2. champagne problems
3. gold rush
4. 'tis the damn season
6. no body no crime
9. coney island
12. long story short
15. evermore
16. right where you left me

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Alright, going to unplug for a few and then rise for a new era 💕✨ excited to see you all then!

IMG-3860.png

edit: a very groggy fox has risen ✌️

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have emerged from my first time Evermore and Folklore listening.

Both are really good. No outright bad or boring songs on either of them. Folklore is my favourite of the two.

Here are the standout songs for me so far after the initial listen.

Folklore:

1. the 1
2. cardigan
4. exile
5. my tears ricochet
7. seven
8. august
9. this is me trying
12. mad woman
14. betty
17. the lakes

Evermore:

2. champagne problems
3. gold rush
4. 'tis the damn season
6. no body no crime
9. coney island
12. long story short
15. evermore
16. right where you left me
This is a good opinion on a first listen

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The problem is not Jack lol. Her best work comes from him. Lana's best work comes from him. Lordes opus came from him.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Here goes my ranking:

Folklore
Midnights
RED
Evermore
Lover
Fearless
Debut

Cant wait for TTPD. I feel like it could place in the first half

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?
I can do it with a broken heart.
Clara Bow
loml
The Smallest Man who ever lived.
The Black Dog

These are some of the standouts. The first two in particular (little old me / broken heart) are the ones I keep going back to listening on repeat. (TTPD)

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any song that's like close or similar to folklore/evermore era? I really miss those days lol im hoping there's songs in there that hit that vibe

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Karma may be a relaxing thought but it's also gatekeeping me from the new album. Is this because I slept for a couple of hours? 😭

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Omg it's here!! 🕰️ 😍
Happy album launch day Swifties! 🫶✨

Idk when I'll surface, whether I listen to it all in one or run back so, happy listening!!

IMG-3861.png

Album out now New
OP
OP
kalindana

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Last edited:
OP
OP
kalindana

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Reviews are also going up:
www.theguardian.com

Taylor Swift: The Tortured Poets Department review – fame, fans and former flames in the firing line

Subtly detailed album splits the difference between 1989’s glossy pop-rock and Midnights’ understatement – and lets her ex Matty Healy have it in no uncertain terms

variety.com

Taylor Swift Renews Her Vows With Heartbreak in Audacious, Transfixing ‘Tortured Poets Department’: Album Review

Taylor Swift's new album ‘The Tortured Poets Department’ is a boldly candid breakup album, with some of her most quotable lyrics ever.

www.rollingstone.com

Come For the Torture, Stay For the Poetry: This Might Be Taylor Swift's Most Personal Album Yet

Taylor Swift's 'The Tortured Poets Department' Review

www.theatlantic.com

Taylor Swift Is Having Quality-Control Issues

“The Tortured Poets Department” excavates her private life more deeply than ever—but somehow, it’s a story we’ve heard before.

www.theguardian.com

Breakups, fantasies and her most cutting lyrics: inside Taylor’s Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department

What are the big takeaways from Swift’s new album? She’s refining her sound, confronting elements of her fanbase and done with romantic idealisation

www.newyorker.com

The Tortured Poetry of Taylor Swift’s New Album

“The Tortured Poets Department” has moments of tenderness. But it suffers from being too long and too familiar.

pitchfork.com

Taylor Swift: The Tortured Poets Department / The Anthology

Read Olivia Horn’s review of the album.

www.theguardian.com

Taylor Swift’s new album is about a reckless kind of freedom. If only it sounded as uninhibited | Laura Snapes

The Tortured Poets Department depicts a spell of post-breakup mania against the perfect backdrop of the Eras tour – a thrillingly immature reality undermined by safe music

Last edited:

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Yeah Spotify not loading it for me I think it's hard down lol

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Ok albums out so I'll post my impressions. In spoilers for those still listening

Honestly entire album to me feels like midnights leftovers. I think this might be her second worst just ahead of debut. Idk what I'm expecting but I think she is stuck in this synth pop sound with jack. It's weird cause my favorite songs on this album are the ones done WITHOUT jack. Idk what happened to antinoff , but personally I think he's fallen off a cliff since lover.

Also this album imo holds some of her worst lyrics to date. Tortured poet department (song not the album) is full of these examples. Some songs she strikes brilliance (but daddy I love him) but a lot of these songs are making me roll my eyes.

She's at the point where she is "too big to fail" so I know everyone will eat this up, but I hope she goes back to a folklore type sound after this… honestly disappointed

Last edited:

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So far this is incredibly... Boring? It really meanders and sounds sonically like Midnights but the songwriting is a clear step down. Hopefully things pick up.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?

I can do it with a broken heart. (this is basically mastermind pt 2...)

loml

Clara Bow

love these ones.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
0zPSRIB.png

Before jumping into the new album, here is the official definitive ranking, as decided by me:

1. reputation
2. Midnights
3. evermore
4. 1989
5. folklore
6. Red
7. Speak Now
8. Fearless
9. Lover
10. Taylor Swift

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Not feeling it so far. I'm gonna need to come back tomorrow but so far it's bottom tier with Midnights and Lover.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ok albums out so I'll post my impressions. In spoilers for those still listening

Honestly entire album to me feels like midnights leftovers. I think this might be her second worst just ahead of debut. Idk what I'm expecting but I think she is stuck in this synth pop sound with jack. It's weird cause my favorite songs on this album are the ones done WITHOUT jack. Idk what happened to antinoff but personally I think he's fallen off a cliff since lover.

Also this album imo holds some of her worst lyrics to date. Tortured poet department (song not the album) is full of these examples. Some songs she strikes brilliance (but daddy I love him) but a lot of these songs are making me roll my eyes.

She's at the point where she is "too big to fail" so I know everyone will eat this up, but I hope she goes back to a folklore type sound after this… honestly disappointed
tumblr_mwd59xHbEB1sxm6jjo1_500.gif

Also…
After Midnights and this, I really feel like she could use a year or two off from working on new music to just recoup, take stock, find some new collaborators and live a little more between her insane touring schedule.

Taylor's been an institution for over a decade now but her music still had a distinct humility, earnestness and charm pre-Midnights. These two records honestly feel like they're written by a writer whose pen is starting to slip and a producer who's fresh out of new tricks. I mean, shit, I'm a massive Bleachers fan and love his new record so I'm not a Jack detractor but his work with Taylor is so dull, anemic and repetitive.

I don't necessarily need folk Taylor back any time soon but I definitely need a creatively refreshed Taylor on the next record because she's really losing me between the unenthusiastic half-cocked re-recordings and two insanely weak new albums in a row. She just needs to let her brain rest for a bit and come back swinging like she did with folklore after Lover.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
About a quarter in, bangers so far. I think I like this direction more so than super upbeat Taylor so I'm happy lol.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Album is ok so far. I am repulsed by Matty Healy so hearing that a few of the songs are about him kinda taints it for me. I feel like there isn't a STANDOUT catchy song like Midnights had. I know it's cliche to wish for an artist to "go back to an old sound" but man she KILLED it on folklore. Some of these lyrics man.............

So far the songs that I liked the most:
So Long London
loml
The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived
Fortnight (thankful Post Malone isn't all over this)
Florida!!!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If this is what this sounds like then that wedding ring line is vicious.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Not feeling the album so far, not a fan of the production and sound on it. It feels a bit like a Midnights retread sonically.

I feel her 2 post pandemic albums have been subpar compared to the heights of Folklore and Evermore.

Maybe it'll grow on me.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
this album is incredible!!!
Im addicted to florida and downbad lol
Guilty as sin is also a classic hit!!!