• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
If she's been writing this for 2 years how can it be about Matty? Also is there actually any evidence they were a thing? Like actual evidence

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Second half didn't really do it for me either. I'd probably put 1989, Midnights, then Reputation and Lover on my list... then maybe this?

Glad people are liking it a lot even if it's not for me.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Damn you're the first person I know that puts Evermore at 1 and waaaay above Folklore! Fair play!

Funny seeing that most people used Evermore as a bathroom break part of Eras

Like it's fine.
Taylor's done a great job but at this point she's a genre to herself and it's a bit like a pre Infinity War marvel film. It's going to be a good time and you will find competent and compelling relateability to all her work.

I like and respect it. It's just harder to make magic when you're doing science

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Also chuckling at that Lana stan who thought they were ruining Taylor's album launch, only for her to drop a whole other album on em.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
evermore > folklore

And I will again post my pre-TTPD ranking, as I now have no idea how I'm going to rank this with the double album surprise.

1. reputation
  2. Midnights
  3. evermore
  4. 1989
  5. folklore
  6. Red
  7. Speak Now
  8. Fearless
  9. Lover
  10. Taylor Swift

People just can't wait to rush in with their oh so interesting takes on Taylor Swift whenever she's mentioned, then she drops two albums of the year on the same day.

Pretty much. Again, there's literally nothing wrong with not liking Taylor Swift's music. But to say there's nothing interesting about her is just wild. I don't know how anyone can look at this release and say, "She's not an interesting artist."

D23

Oct 25, 2017
So high school is amazing!…every millenials will love this song and love that this is her love song to travis kelce

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm on track 27 and have favourited every track bar two lol. I'm stunned by this. The range from the start of the album to here, just brilliant. From a more refined midnights with shades of evermore, to deeper, more raw and weighty evermore. Incredible.

Cassandra right now as well just proving the point.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Just started it, will give the opinion after listening it 3 times and seeing how much content there is, is gonna take a while but so far 4 tracks in, it does remind me of the vault songs from 1989, wouldn't be surprised of they were part of it lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I may be in the minority in this thread. I love the whole album but I honestly think the first half is the more sonically interesting half. Back half is amazing but definitely feels like more of a straight evolution of folkmore (barring AiMee and High School). First half feels like more of its own thing.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm not a swift fan, but my girlfriend is so I get very caught up with it all.

31 SONGS, GODDAMN. Are they all on the vinyl? If so, how many discs - or are the songs pressed super quietly?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've now listened to imgonnagetyouback, I Look in People's Windows, The Albatross, and The Prophecy multiple times. I can easily see the back half of this album joining my favorites.

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
It is 2 hours in length

Goodness

Glad I did not buy any of the variants

Glad I get all of the songs without them being tied to physical media?

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is album of the year, calling it.

I hate how music works like this, like it's probably true it will be nominated, but there's also probably like 100,000 albums released a year and the most popular and known English language pop albums shouldn't by default be known a year in advance as being what would be labeled as the best album of the year by the grammys

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a swift fan, but my girlfriend is so I get very caught up with it all.

31 SONGS, GODDAMN. Are they all on the vinyl? If so, how many discs - or are the songs pressed super quietly?

No only the first 15 (with one extra bonus track) are on the vinyl unfortunately. Not sure why they just didn't wait but I guess there would have been no way to keep it a surprise otherwise.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, holy fucking shit what an assortment. I would have been beyond pleased with the opening half but the secret back half was such a treat. I'll be going back through these for sure.

Maybe it's just the recency bias but The Manuscript was incredibly poignant. The way it paints looking back on a relationship, and especially trying to put it into your art, just really hit me hard. And there's so many tracks here that go so deep.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Welcome! 🧣🍂♥️
It's definitely not entirely my thing music wise. But after sitting here playing some Arena with this in the background I can tell why people enjoy her as much as they do. And I'm not exactly a bleeding romantic but knowing the whole story of her and Travis this past year from what they have both said publicly since I am a football fan "So High School" is really fucking cute and sweet. So much that it makes my teeth hurt.

Because if you see the videos of them it's exactly as the song describes. They look and act more like teenagers in love while out and about than they do fully fledged adults with professional careers. They seem to almost trip over each other in their infatuation. It's like that first "honeymoon" period of a relationship dragged out over months and months.

I have no idea if that is how she looked with her previous partners, but as a relatively new outsider looking in it's just fucking adorable. The song just adds so many layers on top of that impression if that is who it's about. I can really appreciate that kind of feeling put into a song. Being in love is always a symphony and it makes you feel like a kid again.

She put that into words in a way that I can really appreciate.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The Bolter is great. This album is just a continuous stream of everything I've come to love from Taylor's output across the past few years.

It's definitely not entirely my thing music wise. But after sitting here playing some Arena with this in the background I can tell why people enjoy her as much as they do. And I'm not exactly a bleeding romantic but knowing the whole story of her and Travis this past year from what they have both said publicly since I am a football fan "So High School" is really fucking cute and sweet. So much that it makes my teeth hurt.

Because if you see the videos of them it's exactly as the song describes. They look and act more like teenagers in love while out and about than they do fully fledged adults with professional careers. They seem to almost trip over each other in their infatuation. It's like that first "honeymoon" period of a relationship dragged out over months and months.

I have no idea if that is how she looked with her previous partners, but as a relatively new outsider looking in it's just fucking adorable. The song just adds so many layers on top of that impression if that is who it's about. I can really appreciate that kind of feeling put into a song. Being in love is always a symphony.
This is legitimately great to hear, and it doesn't have to be entirely your thing to join in and have fun so it's great you are. Love that you're already unpacking a song and seeing how layered they can be when you know the elements she's referencing, plus how relatable her processing of them is.

Highly recommend bouncing back to Red (tv) and evermore as a starting point to branch out from this, if you're ever interested in listening to more full albums!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is legitimately great to hear, and it doesn't have to be entirely your thing to join in and have fun so it's great you are. Love that you're already unpacking a song and understanding how layered they are when you know the elements she's referring to, and how relatable her processing of these things is.

Highly recommend bouncing back to Red (tv) and evermore as a starting point to branch out from this, if you're ever interested in listening to more full albums!
I'm always down for new albums and podcasts. I mostly play strategy games or stuff like MTG arena so when I do that I always throw on music and it's it's turn based i can still pay attention to the songs.

I will probably queue some more of her older stuff up tomorrow night. Right now I'm going through again. I like to listen at least three times to make sure I catch anything I missed. Or at least hope I catch it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I hate how music works like this, like it's probably true it will be nominated, but there's also probably like 100,000 albums released a year and the most popular and known English language pop albums shouldn't by default be known a year in advance as being what would be labeled as the best album of the year by the grammys

It's an odd and utterly overbearing thing that people actively embrace. It's to celebrate something, but oddly enough it also necessitates pushing other things away. That's the bit I can't stand.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm always down for new albums and podcasts. I mostly play strategy games or stuff like MTG arena so when I do that I always throw on music and it's it's turn based i can still pay attention to the songs.

I will probably queue some more of her older stuff up tomorrow night. Right now I'm going through again. I like to listen at least three times to make sure I catch anything I missed. Or at least hope I catch it.
Awesome! Let me know your thoughts as and when you run through any others! Fully get you on going back over this a few times though, that's my planned weekend haha

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome! Let me know your thoughts as and when you run through any others! Fully get you on going back over this a few times though, that's my planned weekend haha
I just got through my 5th run of High School. Its 100% Travis.

Get my car door, isn't that sweet? - Travis makes a point to get the door for her and was marked by the Paparazzi doing it. Him being a "gentleman" at every turn has been a talking point with them.

You know how to ball, I know Aristotle - Duh lol

You knew what you wanted, and, boy, you got her - The dude publicly shot his shot saying he wanted to give his number to her on the #1 sports podcast in America lol

To that impression you did of your dad again - Jason and Travis both do impressions of their dad regularly on New Heights because he is hilarious.

That is fucking adorable. That is just a straight up besotted love song based off two people who are in their mid 30's just having found someone that really checks all the boxes and I am hear for it to be perfectly honest.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
It's an odd and utterly overbearing thing that people actively embrace. It's to celebrate something, but oddly enough it also necessitates pushing other things away. That's the bit I can't stand.

I admit I'm terrible at takes while hyped and truth is it's only April, way too early but I feel confident in saying this is a damn great album, one of Swift's best.

Rolling Stone is calling it an instant classic in their review.

View: https://x.com/rollingstone/status/1781178411651588396?s=46&t=dK-rJci-JpxQjNchsdkdiw

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Closing it out with Jake in The Manuscript. Really touching contemplative song, I'm glad she's where she is right now.

Well, 4hrs, 36mins and 31 tracks later I'm at the end of my first listen. It's a classic imo and will be seen as such. It's the best she's ever sounded vocally and the way it transitions from a more refined midnights into a richer evermore is done so well.

There is a lot to digest but I'd be surprised if this doesn't come out on top for me. I'm stunned honestly, I didn't expect anything to threaten evermore for a while let alone dethrone it, but here we are. Not going to seal it without another couple of listens, but my gut is already telling me it's a fool's errand to think anything would change.

So yeh, tentative post-first listen ranking:
  1. TTPD
  2. evermore
  3. Red TV
  4. folklore
  5. Speak Now TV
  6. 1989 TV
  7. Midnights
  8. Lover
  9. Reputation
  10. Fearless TV
  11. Debut

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit of a lapsed Swiftie - I was a huge fan from the first album up to 1989 and just kinda fell off after that style change didn't hit for me at the time - but I always give everything she puts out a few listens.
I think this is fine, it unfortunately takes some of the "tropes"/signatures I didn't like from Midnights, like some lyrics stuff that makes me go filling way too much of the space with lyrics rather than letting the instrumentation breathe, and really could have done with trimming down.

It's got an absolutely phenomenal, like, best of her career probably, 45 minute 12-track album in there somewhere - honestly, more in the second part of the Anthology than the first, and people saying that's quite Evermore energy is good as I've not really listened to that one much and keep meaning to get to it before I go to the Eras tour in June. But it's just a bit too padded out and meandering for my liking. She kinda needs an editor but I think there's not a person on earth with the balls to tell Taylor Freakin Swift not to release a song y'know?

I fucking love some of it, though. A big, BIG improvement from Midnights which I only span a few times and never felt any real need to go back to aside from Snow on the Beach and maybe one or two others. But I'm hoping she goes searching for her next new sound in the next album as I think she's most interesting when she doesn't stay in one place too long musically.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Shout out to you all as well 🧣❤️ isn't often we have a thread where it's just Swifties vibing. It's been a really great night between here, reddit and the group chats.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Only just started listening. 31 tracks holy shit, this feels illegal. Stop Right There Criminal Taylor Scum.
As someone who loves Midnights and Evermore, this should be my jam, but I'm not really hearing the Midnights influence? I'm only at Fresh out of the Slammer, but so far it feels more like.. Red I guess? But with better singing and production (suck it Jack haters). Red is not my favorite, but I have to say Down Bad - So Long, London - But Daddy I Love Him is a great trio that I will listen to a lot more.
The beginning songs feel more like a Lana del Rey album, will probably skip those in the future.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I've listened to maybe 8 Taylor Swift songs in my life and never really "got it". But all the buzz is getting to me - fuck it, I'll sit and give the full album a spin

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Second listen ongoing and yeh, my opinion is not gonna waver on this. This album is phenomenal.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The prologue to the album for people rising and tuning in:

View: https://x.com/taylorswift13/status/1781171613058097619?s=46

The Tortured Poets Department. An anthology of new works that reflect events, opinions and sentiments from a fleeting and fatalistic moment in time - one that was both sensational and sorrowful in equal measure. This period of the author's life is now over, the chapter closed and boarded up. There is nothing to avenge, no scores to settle once wounds have healed. And upon further reflection, a good number of them turned out to be self-inflicted. This writer is of the firm belief that our tears become holy in the form of ink on a page. Once we have spoken our saddest story, we can be free of it.

And then all that's left behind is the tortured poetry.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is going to be happy when she wakes up and sees the double album. Happy release day!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I admit I'm terrible at takes while hyped and truth is it's only April, way too early but I feel confident in saying this is a damn great album, one of Swift's best.

Rolling Stone is calling it an instant classic in their review.

View: https://x.com/rollingstone/status/1781178411651588396?s=46&t=dK-rJci-JpxQjNchsdkdiw

This isn't really relevant, in a weird, way, to my point. The album (or whatever it is being reviewed) is great, terrible, middling, eh - you do you. The issue is more the implict negation in a hierarchy. It doesn't have to be this way, of course, but so often is. I'm very aware, and not entirely sure why, that I am very sensitive about this, so for most people it's 'hurrah I love it gogo', and that's fine.