• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ok yeh. Nail my colours and me to the mast because I'm putting this one in stone. This is Taylor at the top of her game and the best record she's put out to date. A rich album that spans a plethora of events and emotions across its 31 tracks, detailing a point of whirlwind romance and toxic impulses following the breakup of a 6 year relationship she'd built her dreams around. Then the realisation, resentment and healing off the back of cascading out of that storm, eventually finding her way into the arms of true love again.

There are echoes of other songs, albums and sounds from her past but they feel so much more confident here. This is as much a culmination of her career so far as the Eras tour is.

She seems in a really good place, I'm happy for her.
  1. TTPD
  2. evermore
  3. Red TV
  4. folklore
  5. Speak Now TV
  6. 1989 TV
  7. Midnights
  8. Lover
  9. Reputation
  10. Fearless TV
  11. Debut
p.s. How Did It End? clean breaks me in half when I'm listening to it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My Swiftie wife was not impressed during her midnight listen. I was only half awake so I wasn't really listening to the lyrics, but musically the sound was really boring and flat, like it was designed to be background music.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My Swiftie wife was not impressed during her midnight listen. I was only half awake so I wasn't really listening to the lyrics, but musically the sound was really boring and flat, like it was designed to be background music.
That's where I'm at. Really monotone 2 hours, good for a bit of background noise but far from her usual quality.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I wake up to see 15 more songs……. I don't know if I have it in me for another hour of this sound but here i go

Personally I think 31 songs and 2 hours is fucking ridiculous. But gotta boost those first week numbers Taylor!

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

I'll say yeah, it felt very chill for the first few songs I listened to last night. That's fine, and it is enjoyable, but more something I'd listen to loosely rather than intently listen to. Again, only like four songs in though.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I wake up to see 15 more songs……. I don't know if I have it in me for another hour of this sound but here i go

Personally I think 31 songs and 2 hours is fucking ridiculous. But gotta boost those first week numbers Taylor!
Judging by the quality of those 15 extra songs, I dont think her intention was to boost her already massive numbers. They're far from filler.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020

Ok I'm tapping out of the second half for now
GLgzeLYbMAA-uH3

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
She could have sat on half the album and taken it easy for a while She must really love her craft.

Plus there will likely be another Taylor's Version later in the year. She'll probably have put out 40+ new tracks by the end of the year.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the Deluxe CD package back in February when it was presumed to be a single-album. Hope I don't get screwed over now by missing out on half the tracks. 😕

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Closing it out with Jake in The Manuscript. Really touching contemplative song, I'm glad she's where she is right now.

Well, 4hrs, 36mins and 31 tracks later I'm at the end of my first listen. It's a classic imo and will be seen as such. It's the best she's ever sounded vocally and the way it transitions from a more refined midnights into a richer evermore is done so well.

There is a lot to digest but I'd be surprised if this doesn't come out on top for me. I'm stunned honestly, I didn't expect anything to threaten evermore for a while let alone dethrone it, but here we are. Not going to seal it without another couple of listens, but my gut is already telling me it's a fool's errand to think anything would change.

So yeh, tentative post-first listen ranking:
  1. TTPD
  2. evermore
  3. Red TV
  4. folklore
  5. Speak Now TV
  6. 1989 TV
  7. Midnights
  8. Lover
  9. Reputation
  10. Fearless TV
  11. Debut

Whoa whoa whoa!! TTPD at number 1!! Crazy!!

Ahhh I can't wait to listen! On lunch break now then will listen when I've finished work!

My friend told me I need to listen to the double album!

Are we able to make this entire thread just a Taylor Swift OT? Just to discuss her music and everything? Cuz this has been a chill vibe thread lol

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Halfway in and it's not bad, it's more somber than I thought. Haven't had a song really catch me yet but I listen to the beat/melody first before I start to listen to the lyrics.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Give us Reputation or give us death 🐍
Yes 👏 we need another infinity stone

I just woke up and holy fuck it's a double album?!
Welcome to the new era 👩🏼‍💼 you can find your ID on your desk next to your typewriter ✍️ ✨

Whoa whoa whoa!! TTPD at number 1!! Crazy!!

Ahhh I can't wait to listen! On lunch break now then will listen when I've finished work!

My friend told me I need to listen to the double album!

Are we able to make this entire thread just a Taylor Swift OT? Just to discuss her music and everything? Cuz this has been a chill vibe thread lol
I know haha, but I also know what I like pretty well. On my second listen I realised yeh, I like or love every track. They now all have stars next to them. Haven't had that before, even for evermore. It is absolutely what I needed from her.

Hell yeh! I hope you enjoy it, it's quite a ride.

I hope so, or that one is made. It's been really nice these past 13 hours.

ccnack

Feb 12, 2021
THE SECOND ALBUM IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FIRST HALF 😭 I am FLOORED. This is exactly what I needed from her.

I'm so curious what the first-week numbers are gonna look like. Could she beat Adele's 25 record?!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
A few of her lyrics here won't age as well as some of her older work, just due to having more modern day references to pop culture etc. Nothing wrong with that, but just interesting to see her include these kinds of references.
I'm sure GTA as a series will reach at least GTA 8, so, we're good for another thirty years.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
'imgonnagetyouback' name and concept awfully familiar to 'Get Him Back' by Olivia Rodrigo, who Taylor already tried to destroy for Deja Vu. This is just rubbing it in Olivia's face that Taylor has the power and the lawyers to get away with it. The album should be called The Tortured Bully Department. Pre-order cancelled.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
'imgonnagetyouback' name and concept awfully familiar to 'Get Him Back' by Olivia Rodrigo, who Taylor already tried to destroy for Deja Vu. This is just rubbing it in Olivia's face that Taylor has the power and the lawyers to get away with it. The album should be called The Tortured Bully Department. Pre-order cancelled.

That's some real misery business

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Just about to finish the first "half" (why the shadow drop of the second "half" btw?) and it's done little for me so far outside of Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?

It reminds me a bit of folklore/evermore, it's largely fine but all starts to blend together after a while

I suppose I accept that personally I prefer the more poppy 1989 style stuff from Taylor than this style

Last edited:

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, its the same concept but not a copy of a particular beat like Olivia did.

I think that is overthinking and applying intention where there may be none.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, did the album length double from hours ago? How do you get the second half in vinyl?

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The original half is so incredibly boring and lyrically vapid that I can't believe it actually released in this state. I'm so disappointed. I hope this 2nd half is better.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I'm not gonna lie. I'm an old man. I still purchase MP3 albums. I don't subscribe to any streaming services.

I totally bought TTPD on Amazon MP3 before reading about Anthology lmao

I own both now. Just started on my first listen.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
After the first listening the only curiosity I have is why people were saying this sounds like Midnight mixed with Evermore, how do people think Evermore sounds? lol. Also not sure about the double album choice, I would have preferred that she released the second half in 6 months or so since it's slower and more Winter like, 31 songs is too much to take and analyze

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
As someone who NEVER liked Matty Healy, I'm glad he's getting his.

She buries hatchets but she keeps maps of where she puts them indeed, with the Kim K diss track.

There is so much to love about this album. I'm going to need a few more listens at least to get more thoughts down.

The sequence of loml -> I can do it with a broken heart -> the smallest man who ever lived is some A+ work though. I can do it with a broken heart makes me as a fan feel guilty about how happy and excited I was about the Eras Tour and getting to see her live even knowing full well what she was going through.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
The second half of the album is legit so good lol. She should've just released this half only instead lol.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
A few of her lyrics here won't age as well as some of her older work, just due to having more modern day references to pop culture etc. Nothing wrong with that, but just interesting to see her include these kinds of references.
I don't think GTA counts as a reference that won't age well, it's maybe the most ubiquitous video game IP in the world. Everyone does and will continue to know what GTA is for decades, it's like referencing The Wizard of Oz. If she name dropped Dead Space here, I'd agree with you though lol

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's like making a reference to Mario or Mickey Mouse. It won't ever be dated.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is this a fuck Matt Healy album overall? I haven't listened to anything yet. I hate that guy so I hope it is :)

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois

In the same boat. Listened this morning and it's definitely a step down in quality. Can't believe folks were overhyping this. Lol

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, did the album length double from hours ago? How do you get the second half in vinyl?

Like cool, more music, that's great.....but for people who preordered the vinyl and are only getting half the album, that's pretty shitty.

Her tactics of releasing multiple color variants of albums, and a 6 month later bonus album with X new songs have been pretty bad, but it's not like people really NEED to buy those variants, and the extra songs are nice, but not necessary. But in this case I preordered an incomplete album. Do I expect to get the full 31 song album in the mail when it comes in a few days? No. Am I going to pay money to get the full thing on vinyl. No. I'll stream that.

But to put out a whole extra albums worth of songs hours after you release it, fuck that noise for those people who preordered it on vinyl.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So is this a fuck Matt Healy album overall? I haven't listened to anything yet. I hate that guy so I hope it is :)
It's the full spectrum across the span of it. Coming out of the 6yr relationship with Joe broken and went headlong into a toxic whirlwind romance, not wanting to listen to anyone and generally just be a mess and spiral. Then coming to and realising what you're in, how it's self-inflicted and how it felt to be the other side of it. Then we see the glimpse of how she is with Travis (besotted). There's a lot of reflection across the record as well, including a final pause on Jake before it ends. Still finds time for a deliciously petty diss track to Kim tho.