• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
Tried to give this another chance over the weekend and it is just so boring. To me, that's the worst crime music can commit. I love a lot of failed experiments that fell short but were ambitious. This is just a billionaire on autopilot with the most unremarkable songs and worst lyrics since her debut.

As a songwriter myself, this is the stuff I can't help but focus on and I think it is a big part of what makes this such a tedious and, at times, embarassing listen. It's spot-on. The frustrating part is she is a MUCH better songwriter than what is exemplified on this album. She just chose the easy route.

Every attempt I've made at listening to Taylor Swift has left me feeling the same. The same old chord progressions, little in the way of interesting and exciting harmony, utterly unremarkable lyric writing, and this vague sense that she fucking loves the smell of her own farts. Even Folklore sounded like that to me, and that was supposed to be the one that was really good or something? I dunno. Stream Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion, besties.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Saw this on Reddit and it made me chuckle.

IMG-3909.jpg

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Well. Two songs to go, but the second half has been very much: "Here's safe and boring sounding Swift for anyone put off by the main album". There's some nice tracks on there, but I vastly prefer the first batch to this lot by a country mile.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
Too right.

Also Taylor's gonna win the Noble Prize for Literature at some point in her life.
I don't think they're likely to give it to another songwriter any time soon. They got a lot of criticism at the time for giving it to Bob Dyllan, even at the end of his career when his music had gotten particularly experimental and literary. I'm also not sure Taylor Swift's songs are necessarily politically conscientious enough to arouse the interest of the Nobel committee. It could still certainly happen and perhaps she deserves it for her lyricism, but I imagine it would be years after her prime - similar to Bob Dyllan.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their 2023 winner was Morgan Wallen lol
How they gave it to Taylor Swift is weird when on their own website Ashley Gorley has won Song Writer of the year SEVEN times in the last 10 years.

Something ain't adding up with that establishment.

NSAI Songwriters of the Year

2023 Ashley Gorley 2022 Ashley Gorley 2021 Ethan Hulse 2020 Ashley Gorley 2019 Josh Osborne 2018 Ashley Gorley 2017 Ashley Gorley 2016 Ashley Gorley 2015 Rodney Clawson 2014 Ashley Gorley 2013 Rodney Clawson 2012 Dallas Davidson 2011 Chris DuBois 2010 Chris DuBois 2000-2009 CRAIG WISEMAN -...

Like, that is a huge snub to this Ashley person.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
That "put narcotics into all of my songs" line makes me think more that she's had to keep some of her expression limited to what would more likely be hit songs. I feel like there's a good few songs on this album that are unhinged in the best way. She just lets loose.

OP
OP
kalindana

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

‘Tortured Poets Department’ Breaks Record for Weekly Vinyl Sales in Just Three Days, as Taylor Swift Sells 700,000 LPs Over a Weekend

Taylor Swift's 'Tortured Poets Department' didn't need seven days to set a record for most vinyl sales in a week; it did it in three, with 700,000.

It feels potentially unlucky to talk about "breaking records" when the subject is actual LPs, but there's no way around combining these terms when we're talking Taylor Swift, the modern queen of vinyl. She has broken her own record for the most sales of a vinyl album in a week, and did it in just three days, with 700,000 LP copies sold of "The Tortured Poets Department" over the weekend.

The previous weekly record belonged to Swift's release from last October, "1989 (Taylor's Version)," which sold 693,000 copies in a seven-day period.

Who held the record before "1989" surpassed it last year? You guessed it — also Swift. "Midnights" set a weekly vinyl sales record when it came out in October 2022, with what then seemed like an astronomical 570,000 copies in the LP format.

It should be noted, as these records keep getting toppled, that they are all for what is often referred to as "the modern era" — that is, for the period since 1991, when SoundScan began keeping well-researched tallies of sales numbers for albums in vinyl, CD, cassette, download and all other forms. It's possible that there were albums that sold more than 700,000 vinyl copies in a week back in the '60s, '70s or early '80s, when LPs were the dominant format for consumption of music, but that data wasn't being collected then. In any case, there's no one else who has come even close to Swift's opening LP numbers over the last 33 years.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I was 2 of them and am eagerly awaiting Anthology's release on vinyl and CD

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I tried with this double album, and I just can't. Took me a few days to finish it. Some decent songs here and there, but otherwise boring and a bit of a slog. No desire to attempt to listen to it in full again. For reference, my favorite albums of hers are Folklore, Lover, Reputation.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Really helps when you sell 5 versions of the same album.

It certainly doesn't hurt, but there's ultimately nothing stopping other artists from releasing several different physical versions of an album. Taylor simply has a fanbase that actively wants physical copies of her music. Which is particularly amazing because no form of entertainment has been as impacted by streaming and digital releases as music.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Any ideas if any of these songs will get some radio time?
I actually have been using the radio in my car more because i'm too lazy to connect to my phone/don't have Sirius XM, and on release date iheartradio was doing the whole TTPD (hosted by Taylor) so I heard just a few songs on the way to work.

But I don't know if any of these will be like consistent radio replays like Cruel Summer etc.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
Jumping into this thread after listening to the album. Listened to disc 1 on the on the first day it was released and then disc 2 over the last couple of days.

I should start by stating that I do not particularly enjoy pop music and so much of Taylor's music fits into that category. I listened to the album because my 11y/o daughter loves Taylor's music and I do my best to listen to everything that my daughter is going to listen to at least once. This lets me feel confident that she is listening to music that is appropriate and allows me to be engaged with daughter in something she enjoys.

The first disc is a banger. I immediately wanted to listen to it again. There were moments that gave me goosebumps. Taylor's lyrics were never a problem for me, it was always the pop wrapper that they were presented in. The first album strips away the types of sound that I personally identify as synthetic and leaves a personal diary full of pain, naivety, and confidence.

It is an album that will be added to my rotation. It is certainly early and I will have to listen many more times, but this album is my current best of the year.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I can do it with a broken heart is still my favorite of the bunch, in fact it's probably one of my favorite songs of Swift's entire oeuvre, but it's funny how it's even better if you listen to loml before it. So you can journey from being depressed to getting properly unhinged.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Too right.

Also Taylor's gonna win the Noble Prize for Literature at some point in her life.

Good lord, the award would be even more meaningless than it is now. It's an award for serious literary fiction. It's basically like giving it to preterf JK Rowling. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it It's artistically significant enough for such a distinction. Disposable pop music doesn't belong there, Dylan was a hard enough sell and the man was arguably the voice of his generation, and has far more literary credibility.

But by all means let's put the one uttering, "don't put me in the basement when I want the penthouse of your heart", or "you so dope, don't overdose", among other vapid lyrics in the same category as Saul Bellow or Octavio Paz.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Some might say the award is meaningless unless it's given to Taylor. Having a general dislike of pop music as disposable is so 2005.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Some might say the award is meaningless unless it's given to Taylor. Having a general dislike of pop music as disposable is so 2005.
It still is. Some might say all kinds of crazy shit. Turning the award into a popularity contest is a race to the bottom, but by all means slay queen or whatever. No accounting for taste.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It certainly doesn't hurt, but there's ultimately nothing stopping other artists from releasing several different physical versions of an album. Taylor simply has a fanbase that actively wants physical copies of her music. Which is particularly amazing because no form of entertainment has been as impacted by streaming and digital releases as music.

There actually is something stopping other artists - pressing plant availability.

It is near impossible to get time at a pressing plant for ONE version of your album without a crazy lead time because of Taylor and Adele (the two biggest offenders) paying their way in to print their 20 different versions.

Last edited:

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There is no helping you if you think she deserves consideration based on her lyricism.

Yeah Swift has definitely written strong lyrics throughout her career (not so much on this new record though) and it is refreshing to see a mega star write (most) of her own music still, but I could name at least 200 stronger current lyricists. It's a very sheltered take to think she's at that level, and I'm not even sure Taylor would think she's at that level

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
It is already a crime that 3 AM edition doesn't have a vinyl pressing, but it's a war crime not having The Anthology on vinyl.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I don't think they're likely to give it to another songwriter any time soon. They got a lot of criticism at the time for giving it to Bob Dyllan, even at the end of his career when his music had gotten particularly experimental and literary. I'm also not sure Taylor Swift's songs are necessarily politically conscientious enough to arouse the interest of the Nobel committee. It could still certainly happen and perhaps she deserves it for her lyricism, but I imagine it would be years after her prime - similar to Bob Dyllan.

Oh I agree it's not going to be any time soon, but if she's still writing lyrics at this level and making music in her 60s then I'm thinking it's possible. I've no issue with song writers getting more recognition in literature circles, though yeah Bob Dylan's award was controversial, which was a shame cause he deserved it just fine.