• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I remember when hats first came out as random drops and I got one. It was so cool to be one of the few people with hats. This was back when games had communities. The game is still very good but I feel like it needs new content. They been silent for a while now but once the money train gets interupted they wake up. Kind of a shitty thing to be honest. TF2 is still my favorite MP game of all time. No ones made anything quite like it.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I was at WORK, what the FUCK valve open up the damn market so I can make some money off of it for once in my life >:( these crates are worth $5 a POP and I have PLENTY

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I miss what TF2 was before it became a hat-begging simulator.

Honestly getting a little joy from seeing Valve fuck up like this.
If it makes you feel better, you would've completely forgot about the game either way.
I remember when hats first came out as random drops and I got one. It was so cool to be one of the few people with hats. This was back when games had communities. The game is still very good but I feel like it needs new content. They been silent for a while now but once the money train gets interupted they wake up. Kind of a shitty thing to be honest. TF2 is still my favorite MP game of all time. No ones made anything quite like it.
What was the last thing you'd consider them awake for versus the last major update they released?

Oct 25, 2017
I think they might roll this back. Otherwise it ruins the economy doesn't it?

Rollbacks would be unlikely at this point given how much money and items changed hands especially with how long they took to stop it.

I really hope they just let this be. It only really hurts high end traders but even then not all hats were available to be unboxed and neither were most of the unusual effects so a large portion of hats will still retain their value. Valve still made a fuck-ton of money off this bug. Worse case scenario would be that they could make unboxed unusuals untrade-able but all this would do is throw a bone to big ticket traders, Valve would make more money otherwise.

This doesn't really hurt the economy in the sense that Valve can't make money off of it anymore. Realistically you'll just see a flood of cheap low tier unusuals and a price drop in the higher ones.

A.M.

Community Resettler
I think they might roll this back. Otherwise it ruins the economy doesn't it?
They can fix the bug, but they can't do anything about the damage that's been done. A lot of money has exchanged hands (via their marketplace, or otherwise). Nothing they can do when money has exchanged hands. Especially taking into account that exchanges will have happened between countries and all that...

Just like with the dupe glitch... bug was fixed, but the dupes still exist.

This is zero-sum for Valve.

Last edited:

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
This doesn't really hurt the economy in the sense that Valve can't make money off of it anymore. Realistically you'll just see a flood of cheap low tier unusuals and a price drop in the higher ones.

My point is that some have invested in acquiring certain hats under certain values, I'm sure they're not happy that a "bug" just eliminated most of their inventory value.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Valve please im begging you, release Chris Remo and Jake Rodkin so i can have an idle thumbs episode about this

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Valve just took down the TF2 item servers and put them back up, all the new unusuals currently on the market were put back in inventories and the unusuals currently in inventories were made so you can't trade or sell them (it says it's tradeable after August 2nd but it's not, all new items have a trade cooldown):
BtuWm1c.png

Oct 25, 2017
Rollbacks would be unlikely at this point given how much money and items changed hands especially with how long they took to stop it.

I really hope they just let this be. It only really hurts high end traders but even then not all hats were available to be unboxed and neither were most of the unusual effects so a large portion of hats will still retain their value. Valve still made a fuck-ton of money off this bug. Worse case scenario would be that they could make unboxed unusuals untrade-able but all this would do is throw a bone to big ticket traders, Valve would make more money otherwise.

cheaper unusuals -> many more exchanges on the steam marketplace -> more money for valve from their cuts

a price drop in higher tier items also means that they may dip under the steam marketplace transaction threshold, which means trades occurring on the platform that valve gets to take a cut from

and there's still plentyyy of expensive cosmetic items outside the scope of this particular bug, for which there will be an increased demand because people will want new status symbols now that some of the old ones are more widely accessible

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Keys aren't free. If Valve is going to hobble (like make it non-tradable, when normally it is) something you unboxed with a $2.50 Key just because they messed up the drop rates, that in itself is problematic.