• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I am so excited for this indie sandbox! Been following it since its first announcement.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks fucking dope, and I've been awaiting it for a while now

Here's what the game looks like (footage is from a year ago btw)

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
damn must not be a lot of hype on era for this one.

But hey, if you like voxels, physics and sandboxes, this game may just be for you! Join our very short hype train!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
You just needed a more clickbait title, like "Teardown releases Oct. 29—indie Red Faction: Guerrilla puzzler"

Or

"Crackdown 3's destruction died so that Teardown could live; releases the 29th"

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just put a couple hours into this.

It is pretty damn good. It is by far the most impressive destruction physics engine I've ever seen in a game. It looks like Red Faction Guerrilla has finally been bested.

There are also "story" missions with goals to play.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I missed that this was coming out. I'll have to check it out during the weekend.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I've played 95 minutes of it so far and four missions in (out of around 20 apparently). It's not what I was expecting exactly but quite fun.

Mission one - basic introduction, very small. Learn some mechanics, etc
Mission two - basic break and enter, but there are some things to work out in terms of accessing areas
Mission three - as above but there's a timed element to it but you get to do some setup before the timer starts. I spent some time here just lining everything up before executing. I can see this mission type getting more difficult and requiring more creativity later on
Mission four - involved moving heavy things around as well as some destruction with a lot of different vehicle types at my disposal. A relatively long mission.

The game mechanics are solid for the most part. Vehicle controls may frustrate some people but I liked them. The environments so far are good and I love the art style. I turned the DOF effects off and I enjoyed it more. It's been decades since I played it, but I got a Blast Corps vibe from the game on occasion.

Probably the amount of content isn't worth it at the moment unless you're after something different and have disposable income. For the record, I play about 5% of games I used to just ten years ago. I tend to stick with sandbox games for the most part. This is more mission based, but I believe there is a sandbox mode, but I haven't tried it yet. Still, I'm actually enjoying the missions as they're more puzzle/time based so far.

One annoyance is that you can't change keybinds, or at least I haven't found how to yet. I generally put fire on space and jump on mouse, so it's been a bit of an adjustment and sometimes I smash stuff I don't want to instead of jumping onto them.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's criminal that this game hasn't gotten nearly so much exposure here, it's Blast Corps meets Red Faction and it's fucking amazing. It's so satisfying to figure out how to optimize a solution, especially if it involves getting every single objective in one run. Nevermind realizing that shockingly mundane solutions exist to certain problems.

In the mission where you need to dump a bunch of safes in the water, there's a truck with a trailer that can be smashed open at the back. You can put most if not all of the small safes in the trailer (with planks to tie them down) and drive the damn thing off a cliff and into the sea to get them all in one go.

As for the big safe, I blew a hole in the top floor, moved it over to where I could attach it to the crane, and then used said crane to dump it in the water.

Also, the dev spices up the missions on occasion with something more unique - like grabbing a bunch of paintings while fighting fires caused by a lightining storm, and a stealth mission where you need to complete your objectives while being hunted by an attack chopper.

Oh, and I love how the missions are all inter-connected. You're basically working for two jackass businessmen who want to fuck each other over, an insurance company hiring you to fuck them over, and the police hiring you to gather evidence of criminal activity from the aforementioned businessmen. It's great.

Sidenote: The lighting and reflections are raytraced. Not RTX, I think, it's entirely hardware-agnostic.

Last edited:

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Yo this game is great from initial impressions. Only a few missions in but what a treat! Very effective at what it does. The recent Digital Foundry video sold me on it. Highly recommend if the sandbox premise appeals to you.

Vexii

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
UK
I've just gotten myself a 3060 and decided to pick this one up because I'd heard from 2kliksphilip that it was a video card destroyer.

I'm blown away by not only how good this game looks but how good it feels. Criminally underrated that it didn't get much attention on Era.