CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't give away much of the plot. I have borderline zero faith left in Blomkamp, he currently sits as a one hit wonder to me. But I'm always open to a quality new horror movie, so we'll see

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer didn't fill me with too much confidence. Seems like the demon is gonna get too much screentime.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Making Fun of Ethnic Names
It does look interesting but hes like a sci fi m night salamander and went on a downwards trajectory so hard. Elysium, then...chappie. Maybe this will be his SPLIT

edit: not fixing that typo

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You would think Blomkamp could get some Netflix money for more projects but maybe he wants to go this way. Looks pretty whatever unfortunately.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You would think Blomkamp could get some Netflix money for more projects but maybe he wants to go this way. Looks pretty whatever unfortunately.
Honestly, he's better off in a studio system where he'll get more notes and edits. Netflix would give him too much freedom, and the results would be awful. Look at what happened with Duncan Jones and Mute

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't give away much of the plot. I have borderline zero faith left in Blomkamp, he currently sits as a one hit wonder to me. But I'm always open to a quality new horror movie, so we'll see

His short film work with Oats Studio has been more impressive than the full length feature film work of some his contemporaries.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
District 9 was sublime

Elysium and chappie were great and enjoyable.
I have faith.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I don't get the hate for elysium. It was pretty good and the visuals were fantastic.

It's fine, if it was an 80's movie folks would be losing their shit over it as something amazing. But it's now seen as hamfisted message movie and "dumb". It's escapist fun.

Unfortunately, yes

It seems like you cant even enjoy the CGI in his films anymore, that looks very not good

It looks fine? The CG heavy scenes are supposed to take place in a VR sim

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
nope nope nope nope nope

too spooky 4 me, hits all the things that scare the fuck out of me: people cutting themselves, demons, hell, creepy body horror, dark rooms

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looks a bit low budget, but he does come up with some cool ideas, I'll give it a watch

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A sci-fi exorcism movie, seems like a cool combo but execution is always the issue with his films.
His short film work with Oats Studio has been more impressive than the full length feature film work of some his contemporaries.
Short films, can't get away with bloat or the issues that plague his full feature films. His strength has always been short films, going back to Alive In Joburg which I would argue better sold the apartheid and anti-immigrant politics than District 9, which had better action and effects and more of Sharlto Copley.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
That guy counting down at the start is Terry Chen, who played Prax in The Expanse. I couldn't place his face for a while and it was driving me crazy.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
ngl i kind of vibe with the intentionally shitty green screen aesthetic this has going

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I actually might enjoy this one. It doesn't look like high art or anything but I am always up for a good demon movie and it looks a lot better than some of the trash I have seen.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I care to see NB do horror. The visual effects of LIDAR scanned environments (but in motion) seems like the only interesting thing. NB had an eye for visual trickery but I still don't think a horror film should hang its hat on VFX alone. Knowing how to build (and release) tension appropriately isn't something I have a lot of faith in him for.

If you want another take on the "sleep study" stuff, I'd recommend checking out Come True, another indie thing on the IFC Midnight label. Make sure to read interviews with the director afterwards for background and different reads on the film's meanings.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Elysium's biggest issue was its casting. Having Damon and Luna swap roles immediately improves the movie. Removing the marbles from Foster's mouth would also help.

It is a gorgeous 4k disc, though.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I care to see NB do horror. The visual effects of LIDAR scanned environments (but in motion) seems like the only interesting thing. NB had an eye for visual trickery but I still don't think a horror film should hang its hat on VFX alone. Knowing how to build (and release) tension appropriately isn't something I have a lot of faith in him for.

If you want another take on the "sleep study" stuff, I'd recommend checking out Come True, another indie thing on the IFC Midnight label. Make sure to read interviews with the director afterwards for background and different reads on the film's meanings.

Check out Zygote, its on YouTube.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Elysium's biggest issue was its casting. Having Damon and Luna swap roles immediately improves the movie. Removing the marbles from Foster's mouth would also help.

It is a gorgeous 4k disc, though.

Elsyium's got some interesting ideas and good elements to it, but the whole thing just doesn't mesh well together. The casting is part of it - Damon's completely miscast.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

I liked this for the creepiness but thought the ending was lame and it was literally a copy-pasta

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked this for the creepiness but thought the ending was lame and it was literally a copy-pasta
I did too until I read some interviews with the director, it gave me an entirely different perspective which I enjoyed. The dream sequences were beautifully shot and the pacing for them was sublime. I love it when a director isn't afraid to sustain a shot like those.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed some of the stuff he did with Oats Studios. This looks interesting, I will give it a watch if it reviews well.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This doesn't look like my cup of team, so I'll pass. Blomkamp is really hit-or-miss.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Virtual Reality demonic possession? That's what I got from the start of the trailer but further in I'm not sure if that's really the premise. I would enjoy the idea for sure, but if it's just regular demon spooks in real life then meh

May 24, 2019
I'm glad he's doing a low budget movie. I've wanted to see him removed from sci-fi and CG for years (I know this has CG heavy sequences, but the body scan thing is all interestingly 'flawed' and crunchy.)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think this looks pretty good. I'll check it out.

I think he's a very creative guy - but just hasn't hit the execution with his big budget movies.

The only OATS one I loved was this Zygote and it was awesome:

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the hate for elysium. It was pretty good and the visuals were fantastic.
Even Neil Blomkamp doesn't like Elysium.
www.slashfilm.com

Neill Blomkamp Says He "F***ed Up" 'Elysium' - SlashFilm

For his second film, Neill Blomkamp chose to follow District 9 with a vision of class warfare as seen through a sci-fi lens. Elysium, starring Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley, and Jodie Foster, has some great concepts and in many cases is executed well. But the movie faltered significantly, with...

Oct 30, 2017
This doesn't look like my cup of team, so I'll pass. Blomkamp is really hit-or-miss.
More like one hit and all miss.

I have no idea why people keep being excited for his films. I think he can put out strong visuals, absolutely, and District 9 was excellent, but he cannot write worth a damn. If he was doing someone else's script, maybe I'd be more interested. The Oats stuff is the same - some cool visuals and just meh all around otherwise.

Why there are still people pining for his Alien film I'll never understand. It would have been crap, and you know it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've enjoyed all his movies (just...to varying degrees) so I am interested in this.

Seems like a nice departure from those, too.

I'm intrigued.