• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed Elysium
District 9 is obviously fantastic
I couldn't watch Chappie because Die Antwoord is so annoying. Talk about a miscast.

Feb 9, 2018
I never agreed that Blomkamp was a one-hit wonder. While District 9 was his best, Elysium and Chappie were both very enjoyable films to me. I'll definitely check this out.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
This actually looks really, really interesting.

And count me as a fan. Chappie is the only thing he's done I didn't like.

Oct 25, 2017
Even Neil Blomkamp doesn't like Elysium.
www.slashfilm.com

Neill Blomkamp Says He "F***ed Up" 'Elysium' - SlashFilm

For his second film, Neill Blomkamp chose to follow District 9 with a vision of class warfare as seen through a sci-fi lens. Elysium, starring Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley, and Jodie Foster, has some great concepts and in many cases is executed well. But the movie faltered significantly, with...
You're going to be self critical of your own work. If you aren't then there's a problem.

And on another note, my enjoyment of something doesn't require whoever made it to like it too. Just look at the -not special editions- of star wars. I like those as well.

(although I also like SOME of the additions of the special editions. Mostly things related to space battles.)

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Gonna have a lot to live up to after Chappie.

I watched Chappie years later because of the hate and it was a cute enjoyable movie. Perfectly fine and better than Elysium.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't give away much of the plot. I have borderline zero faith left in Blomkamp, he currently sits as a one hit wonder to me. But I'm always open to a quality new horror movie, so we'll see

Only one? I actually liked Elysium quite a bit. I also just recently saw the Oats Studio short films collection, which had me eagerly anticipating his next full feature.

The full collection was on Amazon.

I don't get the hate for elysium. It was pretty good and the visuals were fantastic.

Yep. It was visually fantastic, and I found the acting and story interesting enough. It's also pretty damn good in 4K too, especially audio wise.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Bro what happened after district 9? Going from a movie I saw in theaters 4 times to just horrid piece of shit after horrid piece of shit...

I'm good, fuck a Bombcamp movie

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
It does look interesting but hes like a sci fi m night salamander and went on a downwards trajectory so hard. Elysium, then...chappie. Maybe this will be his SPLIT

edit: not fixing that typo

Why not fix the typo? It's someone's name. I guess it's just hilarious to misspell foreign names coz lmfaoooooo how do foreign names even work amirite

Oct 30, 2017
Bro what happened after district 9? Going from a movie I saw in theaters 4 times to just horrid piece of shit after horrid piece of shit...

I'm good, fuck a Bombcamp movie
I don't even think it's what went wrong on the next projects, it's what went right on District 9, which was Sharlto Copely improvving the heck out of that thing.

Jul 4, 2019
A few reviews for Blomkamp's new film came out today. The response has not been positive, currently sitting at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes after only 10 reviews.

www.indiewire.com

‘Demonic’ Review: Neill Blomkamp Returns with a Dull but Visually Inventive Supernatural Horror Movie

The "Chappie" auteur offers another effects-forward experiment in iffy storytelling, this one an exorcism tale shot with volumetric capture.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Demonic’: Film Review

Neill Blomkamp returns to features after a six-year break with this hi-tech horror in which a woman enters the virtual mindscape of her comatose mother to investigate what pushed her over the edge.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A few reviews for Blomkamp's new film came out today. The response has not been positive, currently sitting at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes after only 10 reviews.

www.indiewire.com

‘Demonic’ Review: Neill Blomkamp Returns with a Dull but Visually Inventive Supernatural Horror Movie

The "Chappie" auteur offers another effects-forward experiment in iffy storytelling, this one an exorcism tale shot with volumetric capture.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Demonic’: Film Review

Neill Blomkamp returns to features after a six-year break with this hi-tech horror in which a woman enters the virtual mindscape of her comatose mother to investigate what pushed her over the edge.
Dammit.

chanceboudreaux

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2021
Still can't believe that this guy made District 9. Did he die after making this movie? Has he been replaced by an imposter?