• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The company I work for is having a lot of delivery people phished due to just answering their phone and giving out all their information cause they claim to be us. It's maddening. I imagine they have their jobs listed online somewhere too and their numbers public so it's easy to find their information.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Scammers can be pretty sophisticated these days.

I almost got scammed once after one of the credit card hacks. Someone successfully used my info to open credit account to buy 2 iPhonesā€¦ but that was just the beginning of it.

It all started when lady pretending to be with Apple called my to verify the purchase of two phones. She said they'd tried to verify via email, but I never responded. I checked my email, and did have one that appeared to be from Apple customer service. I told her I never bought any phones and she told me to contact the bank to get the fake account closed. She gave me the number to the bank and I was supposed to call them, verify my info, and get the transaction halted.

I called this "bank" and my alarm bells started ringing because there was no automated menu, it went straight to a rep, who didn't sound professional at all.

so I hung up and looked up the bank's actual phone number, and it was similar to the number the "Apple rep" gave me, but not identical.

the automated message with the actual bank warned about a lot of fraudulent activity, and how they wouldn't call to solicit personal info. The rep was able to find and close the fraudulent account before it effected me.

The crazy thing is, I wouldn't have found about about the fraudulent account until it was too late if fake Apple lady never called me

Last edited:

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not surprising; I can go into my spam folder and find any number of horribly compiled, misspelled, and amateurishly formatted emails about getting "FR33 PS5 JUST take this sURVEY!" or "hi br@nnon! i though u should know i be seein you online xoxo;p". And I'm pretty sure that the elderly aren't fiending for a PS5 any time soon; these are targeting the young. And these wouldn't be so prolific if they weren't working.

Also...

Kids and teens don't really seem to use computers, they do everything on there phones.

Are typing classes even mandatory? I recently saw my nephew try and type something up in a word doc and it was bad times.

Surely they're using standard laptops/macs/pcs for typing up papers; I mean, I had to do several 10+ page papers in my senior year. Are people really just going at it on phones or touchscreens? That seems... impressive now that I think about it. But a big hassle!

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm another who would question how tech savvy kids actually are. Just because you know how to navigate an iPad like it's your first language doesn't mean you know anything about how IT works. A lot of the basics that keep you safe from malware and scams have been obfuscated away.

I've spent much of the last week explaining to "digital native" students the difference between Wi-Fi and the internet because their accommodation has a WLAN but is awaiting a connection outside following its refurbishment. It's completely beyond them how they can connect to Wi-Fi but not have an internet connection.

Nov 29, 2018
What do we mean by "tech savvy" though? I'd think that growing up with the Internet as it is now, where you're largely on a few social media platforms, isn't the same as folks who waded through the mire of Web 1.0
I think this kinda nails it. Most of the internet young people browse is pretty safe. Back in the late 90s/early aughts it was way more wild west. Video streaming sites were sketchy, downloads were sketchy. Popups and banner ads were sketchy. Barely any spam filters in your email. You learned to be careful or you ended up bricking you parent's computer and getting huge phone bills from dialer trojans.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'm another who would question how tech savvy kids actually are. Just because you know how to navigate an iPad like it's your first language doesn't mean you know anything about how IT works. A lot of the basics that keep you safe from malware and scams have been obfuscated away.

I've spent much of the last week explaining to "digital native" students the difference between Wi-Fi and the internet because their accommodation has a WLAN but is awaiting a connection outside following its refurbishment. It's completely beyond them how they can connect to Wi-Fi but not have an internet connection.
Now explain to them how DNS and basic networking works! šŸ˜…

We get Interns in tech fields and it seems that some very basic things have been omitted (or maybe forgotten) in College Now days.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I mean most elderly people grew up with phones but that doesn't meant they're not falling for phone scams, even if they're not anything new. If anything it is the ease of access of these scams for Gen Z vs Millennials causing them to fall for them so easily. Knowing how to operate a smart phone and social media is not the same as being able to recognize and avoid scams/fraudsters. People who actually work in tech can still fall for scams as they are more predicated on social engineering than tech saviness specifically.

Though I'm guessing a lot of this is horny young adults falling for tinder scams or something

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not terribly surprising that there was a large bump. The Internet is so centralized and (largely safe) with people visiting just a handful of sites that there's a large pool of potential scam victims. The mindset of a person on the net even just 12-15 years ago is very different from today.

That's not to say Gen Z as a whole is more susceptible or anything (just look at the numbers of other age groups), but that just because they're on the net, it doesn't mean they're exposed to and tought to deal with scams the way people online during the days when even popular services were sketchy (hello Limewire, .exe files being presented as pics/vids, ads trying to look like part of a webpage, etc.). Those days really stuck with me when it comes to internet safety.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
This actually isn't surprising when you think of how many more ways there are for people truly engaging with the Internet, and not just using email and browsing Facebook, to reveal their data to people.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
While the growth in complaints was fastest for the nation's youngest generation, more older Americans are victimized overall

The younger group is growing faster, but it's not larger. Very misleading.

Seems to me the most likely variable that's changed is probably who's being targeted, not who's most susceptible. Scammers have come up with scams that appeal better to young people. No teenager is going to fall for the tired old scams like "your Social Security number is at risk" or "your card is about to be charged for something you didn't order".

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
People age 20-24 in my experience are TERRIBLE with computers. On average, at least. They're hopeless with a desktop OS. Only really able to competently use mobile OS which is essentially made for babies and the elderly.

EDIT: To add to this, I have worked with university students as recent as 2019 and that's what opened my eyes to this phenomena. It was really shocking as previously I had just assumed that most would be able to easily navigate tech-related assignments. It was not the case.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Being tech-savvy does not mean being socially-savvy.
This. The vast majority of scams are done through social engineering, its not "leet-hackers". Knowing how to use a phone or computer doesn't mean you can't be tricked into panicking about a situation that isn't real.

all you really need to get scammed is to have a vulnerability exploited. I'm a computer hobbyist and desktop support tech and last year when the pandemic started ramping up I almost fell for a job scam because I was desperate to find a position in a very chaotic market.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Teens aren't tech savvy. The digital native thing is a crock of shit. I work in at a University and I can assure you the average young person barely knows how to use a computer.
Yeah my niece and nephew are late teens and have had a computer since they were like 10. They are mostly clueless if anything goes wrong or even how to use the most basic of functions. These days these computers are designed to be as mainstream as possible. You can basically do pretty much everything as long as you can turn it on. Unless you are getting a virus, they will keep running without issues for years.

If you have a job and something goes wrong, you just replace that $299 chromebook you bought 3 years ago. You don't fix it. Mind you that's what people think these days more or less, not what I think lol.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What do we mean by "tech savvy" though? I'd think that growing up with the Internet as it is now, where you're largely on a few social media platforms, isn't the same as folks who waded through the mire of Web 1.0
Yeah, I think the "sweet spot" is like the bulk of us on Era, the kind of folks who were around during the late 90s and early 2000s and during the advent of most of these scams, not sixteen year old kids who have fiddled with iPads since they were five and generally trust and accept much of the internet at face value since it's been integrated with every facet of their life since childhood.

I know for a fact that my nine year old cousins don't know the first thing about the hardware or software that powers the devices they spend 90% of their lives on, but they would probably finagle a way to get their parent's credit card to buy into some "free V-bucks" scam.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol at them being referred to as "ultra-tech-savvy".

What a weird-ass assumption to make solely based on age.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Kind of a BS article. The under-20s had both the smallest absolute amount lost to scams and the smallest absolute increase since 2017, by far:

tBoyksR.jpg

The headline's only taking about the percentage increase. 758% sounds scary but puts them at the same level as the twentysomethings in 2017. Focus should be on the massive nine-figure jumps in every other age group.
At the same time, measuring it by dollar amounts is going to be confounded by the fact that most teenagers don't have as much money to lose to scammers compared to older folks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
People age 20-24 in my experience are TERRIBLE with computers. On average, at least. They're hopeless with a desktop OS. Only really able to competently use mobile OS which is essentially made for babies and the elderly.

EDIT: To add to this, I have worked with university students as recent as 2019 and that's what opened my eyes to this phenomena. It was really shocking as previously I had just assumed that most would be able to easily navigate tech-related assignments. It was not the case.
I work in a High School. You would not believe how many kids even struggle with stuff as basic as Microsoft Word. They are just so used to texting for typing and such.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Teens aren't tech savvy. The digital native thing is a crock of shit. I work in at a University and I can assure you the average young person barely knows how to use a computer.
I was reading something the other day where a teacher was talking about how their undergrads were having issues navigating file structures for the PC. I wonder if that is a widespread thing and that it really is hard for a lot of young people to use a computer.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Knowing how to use a smart phone and social media is not tech savvy. I would bet most teens have no idea what a "driver" is. Gen Xers and Millennials had to actually configure stuff to work from the 80s-2000s. Teens use equipment and software optimized for your grandma. This isn't surprising at all.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I cringe everytime I see those silly image macro things with the "Your Anime name is your birth month + The name of your elementary school" things posted on other forums I visit; as people rush to post their 'names' doxxing themselves and giving away their secret question answers. I don't think any age group would really be immune to this stuff, but it looks like from that chart that the younger folks are still more resilient to it.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Tech savvy? They use their phones and don't even have ad-blockers or virus protection on them.
I cringe everytime I see those silly image macro things with the "Your Anime name is your birth month + The name of your elementary school" things posted on other forums I visit; as people rush to post their 'names' doxxing themselves and giving away their secret question answers. I don't think any age group would really be immune to this stuff, but it looks like from that chart that the younger folks are still more resilient to it.
Jokes on them, because all my security answers are joke answers, so I don't even remember them.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I was reading something the other day where a teacher was talking about how their undergrads were having issues navigating file structures for the PC. I wonder if that is a widespread thing and that it really is hard for a lot of young people to use a computer.
I can say first hand it is a wide spread thing.

Gunny T Highway

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm kind of surprised. I really didn't think that this would be something that ends up happening.
As I stated in a post on this page some even struggle with basic office programs like Word. They get better as they move through High School, but it is amazing when they reach us in Grade 9/10 and lack a ton of computer skills.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised. I really didn't think that this would be something that ends up happening.
Its a direct consequence of mobile device manufacturers just completely burying any access to file structure and everything being displayed in the same apps that are downloading it. People spend 99% of their time interacting with dynamically served content in software portals

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
It's very weird. I was in school when they were pushing for computers to be in every home. They were getting laptops for us to check out. Then afterward they just kind of expected kids to have them at home in some form.

Then when my siblings were in school they had cellphones and just did everything on them. My brother wanted to learn video editing, so I tried to teach him and he did not like learning on my desktop.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nowadays I feel people are way more believing of what they read online. I remember back when the internet was becoming a thing way more "don't believe what you read."

Oct 27, 2017
This new generation different, as in a bunch if morons. Out here eating tide pods and jumping off second floors for challengesšŸ˜‚

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
As I stated in a post on this page some even struggle with basic office programs like Word. They get better as they move through High School, but it is amazing when they reach us in Grade 9/10 and lack a ton of computer skills.
You think it is just that the prevalence of mobile is the cause of that or is it that they don't have access to computers? I remember so many of my classing growing up taking place in a computer lab even if it was to type papers. I also had multiple classes to actually teach me how to use a computer and get used to typing. I had just assumed that would have continued at this point. But maybe it didn't because it felt useless or schools just couldn't have computer labs?

Its a direct consequence of mobile device manufacturers just completely burying any access to file structure and everything being displayed in the same apps that are downloading it. People spend 99% of their time interacting with dynamically served content in software portals
That makes a lot of sense. I don't have an iPhone but I've been told that accessing the file structure is more difficult than it needs to be. To be honest, even on Android I find it annoying to navigate the structure and prefer to connect it to the PC to navigate if I need to. But I also just preferred everything on the PC compared to mobile. Feels far more comfortable.

It's very weird. I was in school when they were pushing for computers to be in every home. They were getting laptops for us to check out. Then afterward they just kind of expected kids to have them at home in some form.

Then when my siblings were in school they had cellphones and just did everything on them. My brother wanted to learn video editing, so I tried to teach him and he did not like learning on my desktop.
Hm I guess people will probably keep preferring whatever platform they started learning on. Everything feels so much easier on a desktop for me. Maybe part of that is cause I had a school like yours. Multiple classrooms would have a cabinet with a stock of laptops for us to take and use during the class before checking them back in. The convenience of phones will be really hard to fight against

Gunny T Highway

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You think it is just that the prevalence of mobile is the cause of that or is it that they don't have access to computers? I remember so many of my classing growing up taking place in a computer lab even if it was to type papers. I also had multiple classes to actually teach me how to use a computer and get used to typing. I had just assumed that would have continued at this point. But maybe it didn't because it felt useless or schools just couldn't have computer labs?

That makes a lot of sense. I don't have an iPhone but I've been told that accessing the file structure is more difficult than it needs to be. To be honest, even on Android I find it annoying to navigate the structure and prefer to connect it to the PC to navigate if I need to. But I also just preferred everything on the PC compared to mobile. Feels far more comfortable.

Hm I guess people will probably keep preferring whatever platform they started learning on. Everything feels so much easier on a desktop for me. Maybe part of that is cause I had a school like yours. Multiple classrooms would have a cabinet with a stock of laptops for us to take and use during the class before checking them back in. The convenience of phones will be really hard to fight against
I at least know in my school district the middle schools do have computer labs. I think the real issue is since phones are so much more convenient, kids kind of refuse to really learn how to use computers properly.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017

It was like, "Computers are the future and they'll be in every home. Children should learn to use them to better prepare them for the real world." Little did they know cellphones would take a huge leap from a flip phone to smartphone.

Yeah, I can't get into doing things on a cellphone. Even visiting websites feel like trash to me on them. They either cut certain functions out to make navigating "easier" or they try to redirect you to their apps.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
With all those posts I see on Reddit complaining they got their Crypto stolen after giving out their seed or running a script they were given, I'd believe it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
the difference between growing up "on" the internet and growing up "with" the internet

Pretty much. From what it seems like, if you were born between 1985 to 2000 then you basically grew up with the internet, watching it evolve and become it's own thing while being forced to change and learn new things every other month. You definately saw some shit, and learned a whole bunch of lessons as you went.

The importance of not clicking sketchy links. Ad block, researching and being smart about what limewire download you picked. How to fix the computer you bricked after you picked the wrong limewire download. How to get rid of all those fucking IE7 toolbars. What free lightweight antivirus software to use so your machine didn't get fucked by McAfee and Norton. The rise of online shopping with all the scams and figuring out what sites are actually legit.

You learned as things evolved. Unlike today where kids just get tossed into the deep end

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Could this not just be partly due to the fact that they are living and breathing the internet for the majority of the day?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it.

Younger ppl thinking they know everything vs not really knowing how suspect things can be online vs scams being alot more polished now vs back in the day.....

Like, years ago scammers targeting ppl thru jobs, its alot more polished now. Unless you know signs to watch out for....I can see younger ppl falling prey to job scams easily. Mainly because young ppl looking for a job are in a vulnerable spot IMO.

I've witnessed that first hand a few years ago.
Really? The past year I've been applying for jobs which I haven't done since 2006. The scam jobs I've applied to give it away almost instantly with their approach.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title does not at all describe the content of this story. Under 20 had way fewer reported scams than other age groups. They just had more YoY compared to older groups. I think people are coming away from this with the understanding that under 20s are falling for more scams, or falling for scams more quickly, but that's not the case. The title is misleading.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I at least know in my school district the middle schools do have computer labs. I think the real issue is since phones are so much more convenient, kids kind of refuse to really learn how to use computers properly.
Ah gotcha, that makes a lot of sense.

It was like, "Computers are the future and they'll be in every home. Children should learn to use them to better prepare them for the real world." Little did they know cellphones would take a huge leap from a flip phone to smartphone.

Yeah, I can't get into doing things on a cellphone. Even visiting websites feel like trash to me on them. They either cut certain functions out to make navigating "easier" or they try to redirect you to their apps.
Yeah, so many of them redirect you to their apps. The experience just isn't as good as it is on desktop to me. The apps that just run a crappy browser inside of them are the absolute worst though.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The generation that grew up alongside the internet is the most savvy, not the ones who grew up with it.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Hint: they are not tech savy. In fact they are becoming more and more tech illiterate, in the sense of understanding how the technology work behind it. Its not that they are dumb or anything, its that technology today is so user friendly and transparent there's less motivation to sit down and tinker.