nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard of this kind of chip, but it sounds like this particular one has way too much capsaicin in it. How this kind of thing is widely available is beyond me.

The teen's family believes the chip contributed to his death. RIP Harris.

View: https://x.com/nbc10boston/status/1698702780947472763?s=46&t=dK-rJci-JpxQjNchsdkdiw

View: https://x.com/boston25/status/1698652077268885549?s=46&t=dK-rJci-JpxQjNchsdkdiw

A 14-year-old student from Worcester, Massachusetts, died on Friday, officials say, and his family says his death was caused by complications from eating an extremely spicy chip that's the subject of a viral challenge.

Harris Wolobah's mother confirmed to NBC10 Boston that the family believes the teenager died of complications from the One Chip Challenge, though the results of an autopsy were pending.

The Worcester school community was mourning Harris, a sophomore at Doherty Memorial High School, Worcester Public Schools Superintendent Rachel Monárrez said in a statement on Sunday, calling him "a rising star."

The One Chip Challenge is a social media challenge that involves eating purportedly the spiciest tortilla chip in the world, then waiting as long as possible before eating or drinking something for relief. The chip, made by Paqui, comes in a coffin container and has a warning that it should be kept away from children, is only for adults to eat, and shouldn't be eaten by anyone who's sensitive to spicy food or with an allergen.

Anyone who has difficulty breathing, faints or has extended nausea is urged to seek medical assistance, according to a Paqui web page for the One Chip Challenge.

Harris' mother, Lois Walobah, told NBC10 Boston that she was called to the school by a nurse on Friday and that her son had told him a classmate gave him the chip, leaving him with a bad stomach ache.

He felt better after they went home, but at 4:30 p.m., when he was about to leave for basketball tryouts, his brother yelled that he'd passed out, she said. Harris was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A Worcester police spokesperson confirmed the agency was investigating the teenager's death but didn't say whether the investigation was focused on any potential criminal activity.

Lois Wolobah said her son should have been sent to the hospital instead of home after going to the nurse's office, and wants others to know about the chips to prevent further tragedies.

A Worcester Public Schools spokesman confirmed Monday that Harris was feeling sick and went to the nurse's office, then went home with family after parents were called before dying later that day.

NBC10 Boston has asked the district why Harris was sent home from the nurse's office rather than to the hospital, as well as whether the district will take further action on the chips.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-harr...um=social&utm_source=facebook&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. Poor kid.

The damage TikTok has done and is doing by presenting dangers as entertainment is unfathomable.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the same thing on hot ones where they have to wear gloves to handle it?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this is the chip, it comes individually.

81rp0wmtjnl._ac_sy679sxccw.jpg

I wonder if he had existing health complications? I'd have thought that you'd be mostly fine if you vomited something like this out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The "One Chip Challenge" is an internet challenge promoted by Amplify Snack Brands since 2016. Participants must eat one Carolina Reaper chip and avoid eating or drinking anything afterwards.[2][14][7] An anchor for KWGN-TV vomited on live television after trying the challenge.[15] Celebrities including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Shaquille O'Neal, Joel Embiid, Lil Yachty, and Sean Evans have tried the challenge.[16] Many TikTokers have tried it and required medical attention.[17]

In 2022, the chips sold for the One Chip Challenge (the flavor was Carolina Reaper + Scorpion Pepper) turned people's tongues bright blue, to deter cheating.[18] In September 2022, the challenge was banned by Huerfano School District RE-1 in Huerfano County, Colorado, as many children of their schools were accepting the challenge and becoming hospitalized[19][20][21] The One Chip Challenge has also been banned from Lodi High School in Lodi, California[16] and from schools in Pearland Independent School District in Pearland, Texas.[22]

So it looks like it has a history of causing medical issues and hospitalizations. I'm surprised that if a lot of celebrities are doing it that there aren't more high profile causes of it injuring someone.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
someone bought it for me like 1-2 years ago, i just tried the smallest tiniest bite and threw the rest

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I tasted something similar to the chip level of spiciness and it really hurts you alot from the inside, and I'm a southeast asian who can handle spicy foods. I can't imagine how much it would affect someone who can't even handle something like wasabi to eat something like this.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if he had existing health complications? I'd have thought that you'd be mostly fine if you vomited something like this out.

They literally just put up a standee with this chip at the gas station next to me a few days ago. They asked if I was gonna try it and I said hell no I watch YouTube.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's awful. As the parent of a 14 year old it's tough to read that someone'a life was taken for such a dumb thing. Extreme spicy culture seems so dumb to me as it's all focused on toughness, etc..

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
As someone who is used to spicy foods from my youth, I find it increasingly annoying to see people trying to shame others who can't handle spice.

These sorts of challenges have been around since before TikTok or YouTube and it was insufferable then, and only worse now.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Fucking hell. Poor kid.

The damage TikTok has done and is doing by presenting dangers as entertainment is unfathomable.

He ate a spicy chip, not a bucket of live snakes. I did dumber things than this before TikTok even existed.

Honestly, it seems crazy to me that a single chip so hot that it can apparently cause medical complications/death is being sold in stores.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
People have been challenging each other to eat spicy things long before TikTok. If the chip was involved in this death then it needs to be pulled from store shelves but we really don't need to put the blame on the kids who bought and engaged with the product as they were intended to by those who made it.

As someone who is used to spicy foods from my youth, I find it increasingly annoying to see people trying to shame others who can't handle spice.

These sorts of challenges have been around since before TikTok or YouTube and it was insufferable then, and only worse now.
In this instance the chip in question is specifically designed to be near inedible. My friends and I tried it a few years ago. We each took one bite and spent 20 minutes crying and shoving ice cream in our mouths. It's not "food" in the normal sense, you know?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Fucking hell. Poor kid.

This has nothing to do with Tiktok, Tiktok was not mentioned anywhere in the articles here (unless I missed it), and has been around longer than Tiktok has existed.

The fearmongering and xenophobia stranglehold Tiktok has on folks is incredible

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Wonder if they will also blame the classmate who gave him the chip, the school was so stupid, they should have read what what on the package of the chip and see how it wasn't meant for minors, that should have been a red flag

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

So basically two of the world's hottest peppers in one chip. JFC, hope it gets pulled off store shelves.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It has to be something else on top of it. Capsaicin only tricks your pain receptors. There's no actual damage.

I've had done the 9M Scoville gummy bear no issue.

I'm not saying anyone can do it. But besides feeling like shit if you can't handle it. There shouldn't be long term damage.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
So basically two of the world's hottest peppers in one chip. JFC, hope it gets pulled off store shelves.

It's not even as hot as the peppers themselves and there are barely any cases of people actually dying from eating those fresh. Y'all in here dropping uninformed hot takes.

It's highly likely there was an unfortunate interaction with something else in his body. This isn't just because there was too much capsaicin.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These have existed for like a decade or more. The problem is people thinking it's ok to do without knowing what you're doing. They make you sign a waiver for a reason.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not even has hot as the peppers themselves and there are barely any cases of people actually dying from eating those fresh. Y'all in here dropping uninformed hot takes.

It's highly likely there was an unfortunate interaction with something else in his body. This isn't just because there was too much capsaicin.
This. Seriously. People dropping hot takes like this is embarrassing.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I can't handle anything at all beyond jalapeño poppers but y'all can't seriously be saying to ban this thing.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP to the poor kid, but honest question- how would eating an extremely spicy food potentially cause death?

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Had his whole life ahead of him. Rip

I'm good with habaneros and lower in heat ratings. Anything higher and it's not enjoyable.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It has to be something else on top of it. Capsaicin only tricks your pain receptors. There's no actual damage.

I'm not saying anyone can do it. But besides feeling like shit if you can't handle it. There shouldn't be long term damage.
Isn't it possible to die from shock due to these kinds of things? If it's such a disruption to your body it can shut things down.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't these just mostly hype and not as hot as the actual peppers? I don't think this is the main cause of death

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
If the chip itself was a problem there would be way more cases of people dying from it, its literally sold all over the place. And has been for many years.

This just seems like an unfortunate tragedy where the poor kid had a severe reaction to the spice.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 days): Inflammatory commentary over a series of posts.
...can we not jump to banning a spicy chip because of a dumb kid?

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the poor kid, but honest question- how would eating an extremely spicy food potentially cause death?

From the article:

While Harris' autopsy results are still pending, his coach, friends and family are warning others against social media challenges, especially this one where you can buy the chip in stores or online -- that local doctors say could kill you.

"It could cause difficulty with breathing. I think it could cause issues with the esophagus," Dr. Lauren Rice, of Tufts Medical Center, said.

It's possible his esophagus may have shut down. Unrelated but this happened to me once due to bad bacteria in the gut, I couldn't swallow and had difficulty breathing. Scariest moment of my life.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He's dumb…because he ate the chip? The hell else are you supposed to do with it?
Not do the challenge if you haven't eaten anything hotter than an habanero before. There's a whole scale in between. Again, these chips come with a waiver. And yet there's no actual evidence of medium or long term harm from capsaicin. It's just tricking your brain into perceived pain.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

A stomach can only take so much.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
If the chip itself was a problem there would be way more cases of people dying from it, its literally sold all over the place. And has been for many years.

This just seems like an unfortunate tragedy where the poor kid had a severe reaction to the spice.
I think it's more the abstaining from drinking water / milk after the challenge that's the problem. Spice alone is already quite dangerous at high levels. Staving off the body's natural response for a challenge (finding something to cool it down / counter) is a recipe for disaster.

then waiting as long as possible before eating or drinking something for relief.

Like no one should do this even with stuff that's just normal spicy as it'll like cause you in the best case some unfortunate and frequent trips to the bathroom for a day or more.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
Hey everyone, really easy to just read the article and find out what happened, he was sent home by the school nurse rather than escalating medical care. No need to vibe it out, it's all there.

Harris' mother, Lois Walobah, told NBC10 Boston that she was called to the school by a nurse on Friday and that her son had told him a classmate gave him the chip, leaving him with a bad stomach ache.

He felt better after they went home, but at 4:30 p.m., when he was about to leave for basketball tryouts, his brother yelled that he'd passed out, she said. Harris was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

also

The chip, made by Paqui, comes in a coffin container and has a warning that it should be kept away from children, is only for adults to eat, and shouldn't be eaten by anyone who's sensitive to spicy food or with an allergen.

I don't know how many 14-year-olds rigorously test their pallets for spice and possible allergens. this is an absolute tragedy of course, but it will only drive more kids to do it. Just make it 18+

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
...can we not jump to banning a spicy chip because of a dumb kid?
Can we not jump to calling a dead 14 year old "dumb" because he ate a product that was sold to him with no restrictions? The fuck?

Why is everyone ready to go to war to defend the chip's honor? If the doctors discover the chip played a role in his death then it should be pulled or more intensely regulated. Even if it was a unique bad reaction, that is something that needs to be taken seriously. Kids should not die because of a chip.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not do the challenge if you haven't eaten anything hotter than an habanero before. There's a whole scale in between. Again, these chips come with a waiver. And yet there's no actual evidence of medium or long term harm from capsaicin. It's just tricking your brain into perceived pain.
So again, he's dumb because he ate a tortilla chip that's easily accessible at convenience stores and gas stations? Like, what are you guys even on about?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Those chips are readily available. 7-11 has displays of them promoting them as the 'One Chip Challenge'.

RIP to the poor kid. Such a tragic loss to happen from a chip.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So again, he's dumb because he ate a tortilla chip that's easily accessible at convenience stores and gas stations? Like, what are you guys even on about?
Where did I say the kid his dumb? Kids shouldn't be eating these things. I've warned coworkers with kids that wanted to do the 9m Scoville gummy bear challenge not to let them.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
He's dumb…because he ate the chip? The hell else are you supposed to do with it?
If you want to be purposefully obtuse, that's your perogative.

Harris Wolobah's mother confirmed to NBC10 Boston that the family believes the teenager died of complications from the One Chip Challenge, though the results of an autopsy were pending.
[...]
The One Chip Challenge is a social media challenge that involves eating purportedly the spiciest tortilla chip in the world, then waiting as long as possible before eating or drinking something for relief.

Nov 27, 2017
I did the One Chip last year. I didn't eat the whole thing and it was not fun.

It is important to note that although the family believes it was caused by the chip, the tests haven't determined that yet. That said, even though it probably is just uncomfortable for most people, I'm not surprised if there's a small group that could be physically harmed from it. Those things are no joke, especially if it's a kid who maybe hasn't tried really spicy stuff before.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Probably only if you have an existing condition. Known or unknown. People have been eating stuff much higher in the Scoville scale with no real issues.

People's tolerance to the Scoville scale differs on an individual basis. I have a pretty high spice tolerance personally, but it's absolutely feasible that someone with a lower tolerance could be killed by something like this.

At the end of the day, capsaicin is a toxin evolutionarily designed to deter being eaten.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say the kid his dumb? Kids shouldn't be eating these things. I've warned coworkers with kids that wanted to do the 9m Scoville gummy bear challenge not to let them.
I responding to a poster who called him dumb for eating a convenience store tortilla chip. I asked how that could be considered dumb and you responded with an answer. I think obviously implying that you agreed with the initial poster who I was responding too?