• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 26, 2018
日本

View: https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1601849013069750273

Fjray6QVEAAVN6Q

I have numerous, fundamental issues with it. But it just got too big to be stopped. Congrats on that.

So, I believe it goes Smash Ultimate > MK11 > Tekken 7.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
There is always that weird disconnect between the Era takes on this game and the sales numbers combined with the constant increase of concurrent players on Steam through it's lifetime...

Fantastic game and gameplay , I just hope the next one will be playable online in my region.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
Even I bought it (in a sale a few months ago), and I'm terrible at fighting games. Still love a bit of Tekken though.

OP
OP
Lycanthrope -R-
Aug 26, 2018
日本
I always do have to laugh at the paining. Bryan's shooting up the place with a gatling gun and everyone's like "Just ignore him." lol

There is always that weird disconnect between the Era takes on this game and the sales numbers combined with the constant increase of concurrent players on Steam through it's lifetime...
I mean, my takes at least aren't exactly hot. Online functionality, loading times, overall decline in quality from TTT2, whatever the fuck they had that narrator doing for the story mode, etc.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Enjoyed this one a lot. Wish they would sell all the dlc in one bundle at a reasonable price now that it's wrapping up.

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it in a recent sale. I'd played it when it was on Gamepass a while ago but now I own it with the DLC. Just wanted it in case some friends want to play some Tekken.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I always do have to laugh at the paining. Bryan's shooting up the place with a gatling gun and everyone's like "Just ignore him." lol

I mean, my takes at least aren't exactly hot. Online functionality, loading times, overall decline in quality from TTT2, whatever the fuck they had that narrator doing for the story mode, etc.
The thing that infuriated me the most was the instant rematch not available on launch on top of that loading times. The narrator thing was whatever even if I secretly hoped there would be a reveal that it would be one playable character in the end (especially with how the guy was buff in the art). Nope lol.

OP
OP
Lycanthrope -R-
Aug 26, 2018
日本
I like how with every sale milestone they expanded the art.
I think the art has been "done" since 7 million. But it is very cool that they saw fit to add all the DLC characters as they came out.

The thing that infuriated me the most was the instant rematch not available on launch on top of that loading times.
They seriously need to be arrested for having online matches reload from 0 every single time, lol. Tekken 8 better have none of that nonsense.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017

Fantastic game and gameplay , I just hope the next one will be playable online in my region.
Tekken has always been a favourite for the casual players because you can mash and still have a lot of fun. It's not a criticism, I love Tekken but no other fighting game is quite as casual-friendly as Tekken, not even Smash.

Oct 27, 2017

It's a fine game to play and watch at tournament level and each event no doubt drove sales...

But it's more than Era and extends to even the FG community that can point out the issues without saying the game isn't worth a sale.

It's the same with 8. I'll play it and have my fun but could still be disappointed by their design team and untrusting that past issues will be fixed (loading, network, modes, character personalities and designs, awful customizations etc).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats on the success! Hopefully the next game actually has good online, cross-play, & a solid amount of content.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

One thing that Era has taught me is to never believe this place's Tekken takes lol. Like, I'm gooooooodddddddd.

Jan 11, 2018
One thing that Era has taught me is to never believe this place's Tekken takes lol. Like, I'm gooooooodddddddd.

Same thing goes for Mortal Kombat. Coincidentally, these are the two best-selling vs fighting game series and I get the feeling that a lot of people here wish they weren't because they prefer another one. Personally, I'm glad that fighting games in general are perhaps the most popular they've ever been since Tekken 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, what takes are you referring to because no one was discounting the gameplay or shittalking anyone who enjoys it? It's namely Harada and his design philosophy and bullshit lies. And getting ready for the next battle....

Jun 25, 2022
Now hopefully they can use that money to good use.

Not sure what excuse they'll have if they still manage to screw up Tekken 8.

Oct 27, 2017
You're talking about in-game renders? Or in general?
Yes, I was talking about "Tekken's shitty jacked body types", particularly in game because that's where you see the same recycled skeletal structure used on most male characters with shoulders and biceps jacked up and always in an unrelaxed flexed position with a stick up their asses seen in the character story cutscenes.

Tekken 8's initial promise to be a complete overhaul in the modeling department gave hope for more than 2 or 3 body types amongst the cast and Law would return to form. Nope, looks like they'll all be Ultimate Warriors again.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yes, I was talking about "Tekken's shitty jacked body types", particularly in game because that's where you see the same recycled skeletal structure used on most male characters with shoulders and biceps jacked up and always in an unrelaxed flexed position with a stick up their asses seen in the character story cutscenes.

Tekken 8's initial promise to be a complete overhaul in the modeling department gave hope for more than 2 or 3 body types amongst the cast and Law would return to form. Nope, looks like they'll all be Ultimate Warriors again.

I don't see what's wrong with Tekken 8's in-game models. They look more realistic compared to Tekken 7. Law looks more like Bruce Lee, who afaik had almost no bodyfat.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And they still haven't updated the PS4 theme.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's wrong with Tekken 8's in-game models. They look more realistic compared to Tekken 7. Law looks more like Bruce Lee, who afaik had almost no bodyfat.
His render isn't terrible. He looks his age but is pretty big, like typical wrestler build big, which proves they're not gonna fuss with different builds/archetypes in their model/skeletal rigging. Probably to make hit detection easier.

But I'll miss his more unique build. An example of what I dislike about these jacked models:
20221211_171836s5fak.jpg

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really touched a Tekken game since the first Tag, but went ahead and picked up the PS4 DE today for $19; looking forward to seeing what I've missed. :)

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Congrats to Bandai Namco. Hopefully, Tekken 7's success can herald the return of console port content at a level comparable to the prior games.

I'll never understand this one's success over all the rest, but congrats.
I imagine a good deal of it is just "right place, right time." Enough years had passed between Tag 2's initial home release -- and even more years had passed between Tekken 6's home release for those that skipped Tag 2 -- that there was probably a hunger again. There being a bit of a vacuum due to Street Fighter V stumbling out of the gate left an opening for the pretty consistently reliable Tekken franchise to slide in and expand from there, but that's just one possible facet of the game's success. Tekken 7 being the first game of its series to debut in the modern streaming age probably helped as well.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Tekken 7 profited off of SFV being only on one console platform and some of the weirder decisions made in its development.

And it's really good as well.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Tekken 7 profited off of SFV being only on one console platform and some of the weirder decisions made in its development.
tekken 7 profited off of being a tekken game

when it comes to successful fighting game franchises, tekken is only behind MK in sales

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

when it comes to successful fighting game franchises, tekken is only behind MK in sales

It's been a real treat watching fighting games develop over my gaming lifetime. Those early days struggling to pull off quarter circle movements in SF2 and sinking heaps of time into stuff like World Heroes as an 8 year old who didn't know any better. The fever pitch excitement when Mortal Kombat 2 hit arcades. The 3D revolution, where I always thought Virtua Fighter 2 was so beautiful but never really knew how to play it. Tekken 1 didn't impress me, but Tekken 2 was the first game I got for my Playstation and it blew me away in arcades and at home. It's just cool to me to see these series living on and in great shape.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

Smash got robbed, again :P

I think a big part of Tekken's success relative to other games in the genre is it's e-sports scene. Tekken always steals the show and has most hype. It's more fun to watch tekken as a spectator than the 2D fighting games. It's easier to keep up for less uninitiated even though mechanically the game is very complex and tough to learn.
It's also the best for total beginners to mash buttons and see cool things happening ^^. Very low skill floor and very high skill ceiling. Problem lies in the middle, but it's a tough one to adress lol.

Last edited:

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I think a big part of Tekken's success relative to other games in the genre is it's e-sports scene. Tekken always steals the show and has most hype. It's more fun to watch tekken as a spectator than the 2D fighting games. It's easier to keep up for less uninitiated even though mechanically the game is very complex and tough to learn.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Tekken is up there with Street Fighter and Smash as the most spectator friendly fighting games. Not just competitively. Maximilian was recently speaking about how those games retain viewership over time where other great games like KOF XV and Strive fail to sustain viewers after launch. Not just because of the popularity, but because of the style of the games.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken is up there with Street Fighter and Smash as the most spectator friendly fighting games. Not just competitively. Maximilian was recently speaking about how those games retain viewership over time where other great games like KOF XV and Strive fail to sustain viewers after launch. Not just because of the popularity, but because of the style of the games.
Yes it's true. I mean I love guilty gears but even I don't actually watch it online.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing goes for Mortal Kombat. Coincidentally, these are the two best-selling vs fighting game series and I get the feeling that a lot of people here wish they weren't because they prefer another one. Personally, I'm glad that fighting games in general are perhaps the most popular they've ever been since Tekken 3.
Yep, I can see that. At the end of the day yeah the genre thriving so it's all good to me. Good comparison to MK as well.
Again, what takes are you referring to because no one was discounting the gameplay or shittalking anyone who enjoys it? It's namely Harada and his design philosophy and bullshit lies. And getting ready for the next battle....
If you don't see it then you don't see it. Been around since the GAF days.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It was my least favorite Tekken game, but congrats I guess. Those two hundred guest characters putting in work.