Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
Now they should start fixing their match making so people can play online without waiting for 5 minutes between fights.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This means T8 should happen and hopefully next gen. I have yet to buy Tekken since T5 but threads like this reminds me I was a hardcore Tekken fan once. I'm glad the series is still doing well, maybe one day I will see sufficient change which will make me want to return.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Just wish it had more characters added to the season pass. Though I'll probably still pick it up if notics is fun to play.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Tekken was THE shit in the late 90s and early 00s. Everyone I knew played Tekken to some degree. It was amazing. Street Fighter and other fighting games weren't even a real thing in Europe around that time pretty much. Sadly, they botched up Tekken with Tekken 6 and it never really returned to form after that. Glad it's still doing okay tho, but I gotta say, the game needs a new reinvention. T6's still prevalent rage and bound just ruined the game for me.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
KqNHLbp.gif

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Tekken is the best selling fighting game series of all time.

NRS games are the most popular traditional fighters in the world right now (Smash most popular overall).

EVO's Sundays are mostly determined by estimated entries based on a games' performance in tournaments throughout the year.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I played it on PC. Loved story mode but the arcade thing where you only do one fight was disappointing

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NRS games are the most popular traditional fighters in the world right now (Smash most popular overall).

Wouldn't say NRS or Smash are more popular than SFV when it comes to tourney entrants and viewing figures but they certainly have sold more. The amount of content NRS games have for casuals is solid.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't say NRS or Smash are more popular than SFV when it comes to tourney entrants and viewing figures but they certainly have sold more. The amount of content NRS games have for casuals is solid.

Popular as in sales. It goes Smash > NRS Games > Tekken > Capcom Games > Others.

Tournament popularity means very little in the mainstream or sales and sales mean very little in terms of tournament success.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Popular as in sales. It goes Smash > NRS Games > Tekken > Capcom Games > Others.

Tournament popularity means very little in the mainstream or sales and sales mean very little in terms of tournament success.

Popularity and sales are two very different things, especially for a fighting game. Sales does mean very little in terms of tourney success (as we saw with MKX and Injustice) but I definitely think tourney popularity means a lot in terms of long-term consistent sales.

Oct 27, 2017
Popularity and sales are two very different things, especially for a fighting game. Sales does mean very little in terms of tourney success (as we saw with MKX and Injustice) but I definitely think tourney popularity means a lot in terms of long-term consistent sales.
Tourney success vs monetary success is like a game like Tekken getting a shit budget and ditching classic characters and trying stupid story modes and new characters to gain more sales. Edit: but yay, they have a better role in tournies!

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

How do you measure popularity if not sales? Is there any better quantifiable method than that? FGC actually does very little for long term sales. It's a drop in the ocean of sales. The last sales figures for SFV were 2.5 million I believe, its last major (NEC) had 190 entrants. Injustice 2 is the 9th highest selling game of the year in NA (barring some late year surge from a lower game), its last major had 109 entrants (also NEC).

This narrative that NRS games die quickly has always been weird to mean. It's constantly in the top 4 most entered games at Majors but people always act like it's bottom 4.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Steam says I played Tekken 7 around 252 hours. I hit gold rank with Eddy and uninstalled the game after that. I had fun playing it, but fighting games become addicting to me so I uninstalled it so I could tackle my back log. Definitely deserves the sales.

Unlocked all the achievements too, though they were super easy. Only gripe was story mode. I found the reporters voice to be unbearable.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you measure popularity if not sales? Is there any better quantifiable method than that? FGC actually does very little for long term sales. It's a drop in the ocean of sales. The last sales figures for SFV were 2.5 million I believe, its last major (NEC) had 190 entrants. Injustice 2 is the 9th highest selling game of the year in NA (barring some late year surge from a lower game), its last major had 109 entrants (also NEC).

This narrative that NRS games die quickly has always been weird to mean. It's constantly in the top 4 most entered games at Majors but people always act like it's bottom 4.

Why are we only basing tourney entrants from NEC? That's being highly disingenuous. At EVO and Combo Breaker SFV had double or triple the amount of entrants than Injustice. You can measure popularity through the things I mentioned but as I said I think it helps in terms of long-term sales.

If SFV was not a popular game tourney and viewers wise I highly doubt it would have sold nearly 2.5 million sales, and they were lucky in that regard due to having crap content at launch for the casual crowd. NRS games usually do well in the first year but by the second they fade away. They don't care though as they made enough $$$.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The game does suffer from a lack of all the single player modes in Tekken Tag 2. The removal of player ghosts and ghost battle is a big disappointment.

That said for all that much is made of Tekken's sheer complexity, I've always experienced the game being more appealing to new and casual players than it's supposed to be. I agree with the idea that Tekken's difficulty curve is like a long, endless slope upward rather than a series of uneven spikes that are common in fighting games. If a pro player comes down from the mountaintop they will surely smite a neophyte while laughing like Heihachi. But Tekken is way more fun for average people to bang away at than many claim it is.

I agree I think I see very new players and even those clueless to games in general pick up Tekken easily and have a great time. Slightly further up the curve, I was completely obsessed with tekken as a teenager and hardly even scratched the surface.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Why are we only basing tourney entrants from NEC? That's being highly disingenuous. At EVO and Combo Breaker SFV had double or triple the amount of entrants than Injustice. You can measure popularity through the things I mentioned but as I said I think it helps in terms of long-term sales.

If SFV was not a popular game tourney and viewers wise I highly doubt it would have sold nearly 2.5 million sales, and they were lucky in that regard due to having crap content at launch for the casual crowd. NRS games usually do well in the first year but by the second they fade away. They don't care though as they made enough $$$.

Because it's the most recent and we were talking longterm. I can go back further though. EVO is the World Championship and brings the thing that NRS doesn't have and that's a lot of internationals. Barring that here's how things shake out for US majors.

CB had 391 I2 entrants and 654 SF entrants
CEO had 400 I2 and 548 SF
Summer Jam had 152 I2 and 154 SF
TFC had 58 I2 and 110 SF
Absolute Battle had 136 I2 and 168 SF
SCR had 129 I2 and 295 SF

SF would've gotten 2.5 because it's SF. Not because of anything to do with the tournaments. As long as Capcom supports the game in the long term then it'll hit sales. Even so it has vastly underperformed based on Capcom's projections. Marvel is one of the top entered games and had the best viewer numbers of NEC despite being on the second stream and its sales are very poor. The FGC are not accounting for any significant uptick. 2016 was a really good year for SFV tournament wise and it shipped less than 100k in 6 months.

Some second year major tournaments for MKX (don't feel like going through everything).

Kit - 105
WB - 126
FR - 206
CB - 179
CEO - 202
EVO - 713
SJ - 107

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Friendly reminder to let Harada know that you want an Xbox One X patch on Twitter. Make as much noise as possible. :)

If you have any kind of requests to make about what you hope to see in Tekken 7 in the future, you can tweet them to Harada directly at @Harada_TEKKEN. You might see some Japanese on his timeline but he says don't be shy to tweet the suggestions in English too if you happen to have them.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My second fighter after KOF

i'm glad its doing well hope that means we will get the next one sooner

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's the most recent and we were talking longterm. I can go back further though. EVO is the World Championship and brings the thing that NRS doesn't have and that's a lot of internationals. Barring that here's how things shake out for US majors.

CB had 391 I2 entrants and 654 SF entrants
CEO had 400 I2 and 548 SF
Summer Jam had 152 I2 and 154 SF
TFC had 58 I2 and 110 SF
Absolute Battle had 136 I2 and 168 SF
SCR had 129 I2 and 295 SF

SF would've gotten 2.5 because it's SF. Not because of anything to do with the tournaments. As long as Capcom supports the game in the long term then it'll hit sales. Even so it has vastly underperformed based on Capcom's projections. Marvel is one of the top entered games and had the best viewer numbers of NEC despite being on the second stream and its sales are very poor. The FGC are not accounting for any significant uptick. 2016 was a really good year for SFV tournament wise and it shipped less than 100k in 6 months.

Some second year major tournaments for MKX (don't feel like going through everything).

Kit - 105
WB - 126
FR - 206
CB - 179
CEO - 202
EVO - 713
SJ - 107

Yep and that was Injustice 2's 1st year and by the upcoming 2nd I don't think it will hit those numbers unfortunately. With SFV it's obvious with continued success with the CPT it's become like a marketing machine for the game and there no way it would have got near enough 2.5m sales without that popularity.

Again, I'm saying in terms of long-term sales not short-term, of course I agree that if you want those initial sales you need strong offline content, presenation and accessibility for fighting game casuals - and NRS are great at that. Both strategies are good to have in my opinion.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Yep and that was Injustice 2's 1st year and by the upcoming 2nd I don't think it will hit those numbers unfortunately. With SFV it's obvious with continued success with the CPT it's become like a marketing machine for the game and there no way it would have got near enough 2.5m sales without that popularity.

Again, I'm saying in terms of long-term sales not short-term, of course I agree that if you want those initial sales you need strong offline content, presenation and accessibility for fighting game casuals - and NRS are great at that. Both strategies are good to have in my opinion.

No it won't hit those numbers because it'll contract. When a game is first released it gets a big surge of entrants and then it starts to contract as some of the more casual players stop playing. SFV didn't hit the numbers in its second year that it did in its first but because there's so many more middling SF players than NRS the numbers are still extremely good even with a tremendous drop. CEO SFV in year 1 had 837 entrants, year two had 548, a near 300 entrant drop. Fighters contract as the years go on, it's just how it is. You may see growth every now and then, Marvel 3 for example, but for the most part its best year will be year one.

Long-term sales aren't dependent on tournaments is my point. A person browsing PS store or Gamestop is going to go "SFV is 30 bucks, I'll grab that". Yes, visibility helps but those tournament views clearly aren't adding up to sales. They don't care.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long-term sales aren't dependent on tournaments is my point. A person browsing PS store or Gamestop is going to go "SFV is 30 bucks, I'll grab that". Yes, visibility helps but those tournament views clearly aren't adding up to sales.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. Tournies with high entrants and viewing figures (like CPT) are like you said, very visible, they are like marketing machines for the game every year. Long-term, a game will keep on selling due to the good reception and promotions they provide. They just don't provide as many sales as you would initially have with good content.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The tournament popularity and stream/YouTube/social popularity should all go hand-in-hand, right?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
No it won't hit those numbers because it'll contract. When a game is first released it gets a big surge of entrants and then it starts to contract as some of the more casual players stop playing. SFV didn't hit the numbers in its second year that it did in its first but because there's so many more middling SF players than NRS the numbers are still extremely good even with a tremendous drop. CEO SFV in year 1 had 837 entrants, year two had 548, a near 300 entrant drop. Fighters contract as the years go on, it's just how it is. You may see growth every now and then, Marvel 3 for example, but for the most part its best year will be year one.

Long-term sales aren't dependent on tournaments is my point. A person browsing PS store or Gamestop is going to go "SFV is 30 bucks, I'll grab that". Yes, visibility helps but those tournament views clearly aren't adding up to sales. They don't care.

The difference is that the conversation surrounding SFV was overwhelmingly negative, whereas the zeitgeist surrounding Tekken 7 continues to be entirely positive, save for a few people in this thread who I suspect never bothered to play it.

OP
OP
Cordy

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that the conversation surrounding SFV was overwhelmingly negative, whereas the zeitgeist surrounding Tekken 7 continues to be entirely positive, save for a few people in this thread who I suspect never bothered to play it.
Yessir and it'll continue. Tekken 7 is also the
first fighting game ever] on GiantBomb's top ten lists
. It's getting around talk wise.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Well that's not true at all. There were plenty of longtime Tekken fans like me before and at launch who were unhappy with the loss of several classic Tekken characters and game modes, anemic story with almost no spotlight on many characters, as well as the focus on guest characters and introduction of meter mechanics. I feel like a lot of hype is coming from people new to the series. Personally I think T7 is one of the worst in the series due to all those and other factors, despite the fact that mechanically it's solid, it's fun to watch, and the netcode is decent.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Well that's not true at all. There were plenty of longtime Tekken fans like me before and at launch who were unhappy with the loss of several classic Tekken characters and game modes, anemic story with almost no spotlight on many characters, as well as the focus on guest characters and introduction of meter mechanics. I feel like a lot of hype is coming from people new to the series. Personally I think T7 is one of the worst in the series due to all those and other factors, despite the fact that mechanically it's solid, it's fun to watch, and the netcode is decent.

Totally fair. I'm basically Exhibit A of your point, in that I'm totally new to the series and I think it's amazing. I haven't touched any single player modes save for practice because I don't really go to fighting games to play against the CPU and definitely not for any story content. I also haven't noticed a focus on new characters; I know they have released at least one new character since I've started playing but the only difference to me is that I have more characters to fight against online.