Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I think many people are forgetting this is a very much Japanese aesthetic. Look at most contemporary japan only releases that want to look "cool" and this is the look to the T.

I'm not saying it's a good aesthetic but this is what is facilitated and enjoyed in the Japanese pop-culture scene.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Jun being back is nice, but how about the dynamic duo that was also introduced in Tekken 2 and who have also been missing in all canonical releases since?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I think many people are forgetting this is a very much Japanese aesthetic. Look at most contemporary japan only releases that want to look "cool" and this is the look to the T.

I'm not saying it's a good aesthetic but this is what is facilitated and enjoyed in the Japanese pop-culture scene.

Doesn't Tekken sell most of it's copies outside Japan? I think Harada said like 90% at some point.

I know it's a Japanese team, but it seems the main target audience is not Japan, at this point.

Either or, though. People like this, or they don't care, and it just matters how the game plays. That's what I care most about, myself.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Uhhh...this does not excuse terrible character design, SF is also japanese to it's core and looks much much better.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
King is in, i'm 50% happy. I need Armour King now, then i'll be 100% happy

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Feel bad for my Asuka main friends. Feel that with Jun back, she's probably out.
I really need to see Lili, getting anxious

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Sonya in recent Mortal Kombat games is middle-aged, so she would be one of the better direct comparisons to Jun.

So what's the lore reason for Jun still looking young ? Lol
She's a flashback-only character, she was cryogenically frozen, Astral Chaos, take your stupid pick.

There are Tekken 7 and 8 comparisons on youtube and they aren't even close to looking the same or similar. Even what we were shown last night looks substantially better fidelity wise compared to T7. Like a pretty large gap between the two.
I can see this. I feel like the characters' ears alone will give it away.

Is it weird that I think [King] looks cool but I also think that he looks kind of messy.
No.

This is definitely Forest and not Marshall, his scars aren't in the same place
I want to believe.

Last edited:

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Aside from Lars, Paul and Law looking kinda crapped up idk I liked most of what I saw. I will not rest until I see both Lili and Miguel on that roster, however.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Honestly, my biggest concern is going to be content and tutorial related modes. Tekken 7 was pretty lacking when it come to both.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern is the online. And given all their Tekken is 3 nonsense with T7 I won't really be able to believe anything they say about it before release

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Ok found it!
Fjg58elXoAE6mjd

Is it weird that I think he looks cool but I also think that he looks kind of messy.

There's just no cohesion. Gloves don't match. Boots don't match. Kneepads don't match. Thighs of trunks don't match. And a bunch of jangly shit for a necklace and around one bicep. It's just all over the place. Feels like you could have one thing that's out of sync (just the boots, or gloves, or whatever) and it would be interesting? All of it together is overwhelming.

Compare that to even just King in 7:

He's got a mostly symmetrical design, with the exception of one arm having an extra armpad. Much cleaner. Actually cleaner than most designs in T7, from what I recall.

Ah, is that the style over there? I honestly have no idea. I guess that fits with things like JRPG characters having tons of belts and such.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting on Alisa now that Lars is here. Would like Kunimitsu and Eliza as well, but not counting on either for base roster.

Xiaoyu's obviously not going anywhere after all this time.
WHOOPS! I mean't SCVI (SC6) sorry, not 4 just realized what I typed. *Slaps her head.* But yes, SCVI basically took what people loved about SoulCalibur II in terms of gameplay/speed and built upon it after complaints about how SC5 went. I was hoping Tekken 8 would take what people loved about beloved titles of Tekken 2/3 but from what we've seen, I don't think it did. It feels and looks like an upgraded Tekken 7 with an aggressor like system? I hope I'm wrong and it's something more.
While SCVI draws on II, III, and even IV to some extent aesthetically while still doing its own thing to result in a look that pleased most people in spite of tech/budget limitations, fans of SCII tend to be the ones who complain the loudest about how SCVI plays in spite of how poorly II has aged mechanically.

Last edited:

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfA7C6irKg

Hmm, I wonder how much of the "core gameplay" of Tekken they are going to change.
Tekken 7 was going in the direction of more forced interactions, where you have to take a guess, and nerfing movement.
Will they continue down this path?

Whatever they are doing, I would guess the game is still at least a year off. Now to wait to see more.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, asymmetrical designs seems like "art/graphical design for beginners" or some shit lol. Tekken 2 didn't have an iconic aesthetic because of over design. Nor did those early MKs. It's getting a little tiring.

Imagining a Tekken 2 Yoshi as is with modern graphics blows my mind, but no doubt he'd be given a cape, dangly sashes around the waist off to one side, an oversized hat with oversized ornamentation dangling down the sides of his face, his mask sporting tribal flames on either side, one larger than the other, and a giant gear around his wrist and protruding knuckles so we know it's a mechanical hand!

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
King looks dope

Dragunov, Kuninitsu and Armour King and I'll be happy. Oh and that Lidia, she was bae

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Personally waiting until we have actual, uncut gameplay footage before I make real judgements about how the game "looks" to me.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Did you forget to respond to what you quoted or was the "no" also applicable to what I said?

There were multiple people in this thread saying it didn't look like much of an upgrade fidelity wise compared to t7 which is clearly the wrong take, art style issues one may have aside.
Didn't you miss a good ol dunking on Tekken thread lol.

I'm glad they kept the characters proportions, because what they did to my Street mains in 6 was hard to watch.

Waiting for the online/netcode stuff now.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting for a new page
Glad you did that. The post above with more info from Harada and Murray states a lot too.

Its really built from the ground up even if it costed them a lot. I'm glad it is because shit, T5 is the last entry that felt "new new" if that makes any sense.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I hope the music from the trailer gets released separately somehow, it's pure TEKKEN goodness.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Ps3 games get thrown around too much as a reference lately.,
Yeah, this.

View: https://youtu.be/4UNeWH75FQU

God the Story Mode for this game is going to be soooo good!

Murray confirms that you can give Paul his original hairstyle in the customization options. :P

Thanks for sharing. I'm noticing neither Harada nor Murray corrected the IGN interviewer when they namedropped Law as Marshall, so I'm presuming it's Marshall with redesigned scars.

Also, I just realized Jun's new outfit reminds me of KOF's Chizuru.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how people can seriously think this trailer looks massively downgraded and barely better than T7. Its a huge upgrade especially after looking at this comparison vid. some of yall need ya blind ass eyes checked.
People love to say shit like this despite not having looked at the old game they're comparing to in ages. T7 looked like a damn 2015 game. T8 is very early, clearly rough, but still clearly improved over T7 in several areas.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Honestly, it's to the point where I have no idea how these designs got greenlit. It's one thing to exaggerate things, but this vascular, ultra-dehydrated muscle look is not appealing. And then the clothes? Come on, now. MK11 designs are 3x as convoluted as they could be, but there's still a sense of visual cohesion most of the time. Why the hell does Paul have a rope on his shoulder? lol

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this.

Thanks for sharing. I'm noticing neither Harada nor Murray corrected the IGN interviewer when they namedropped Law as Marshall, so I'm presuming it's Marshall with redesigned scars.

Also, I just realized Jun's new outfit reminds me of KOF's Chizuru.

Yeah at first I thought it was Forrest as he looked slightly younger, but then I noticed his chest scar (but somehow the stomach scar is gone now) and was like, "Ah... that's Marshall."

You are so right about Jun's outfit too lol

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
As always, Tekken looks way better in motion. It's a game that looks ok standing still but great moving.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Honestly, it's to the point where I have no idea how these designs got greenlit. It's one thing to exaggerate things, but this vascular, ultra-dehydrated muscle look is not appealing. And then the clothes? Come on, now. MK11 designs are 3x as convoluted as they could be, but there's still a sense of visual cohesion most of the time. Why the hell does Paul have a rope on his shoulder? lol
I think the jury's still out for me on how this game's new costumes will fare, but I will say I'm not sure if I'm into how veiny everyone looks.

PalaceMidas

May 19, 2018
tekken-2-.jpg

Are these outfits the most intricate designs ever created? No. However, they are sleek and stylish. Visually cohesive and appealing in their simplicity.

Meanwhile…

latest

It's all bows, silver embellishments and patterns wherever they find a space to stick them in. It's just messy. Even from the knee down!

Give me those Sabrina the Teenage Witch thigh high blue socks and brown boots any day.