Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking HDR and DV is just for brightness, is a huge mistake. The picture will not be brighter than SDR with 100 OLED. The picture will be much more clear though, it's like you are taking off a filter.
If all you seek is more pop and brightness, you don't even need HDR.

tx2wke7.gif

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Thinking HDR and DV is just for brightness, is a huge mistake. The picture will not be brighter than SDR with 100 OLED. The picture will be much more clear though, it's like you are taking off a filter.
If all you seek is more pop and brightness, you don't even need HDR.

I think the colors pop so much more because of the great contrast and because the Peak brightness can be very high. Deep blacks are as important as the bright sunlight for that matter. The overall picture with HDR is often times even a bit darker overall compared to non HDR.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Will I be able to play PUBG and be just as bad as I already am or will that amount of lag make me noticeably worse?
I'm not really sure what's considered good or bad. Tv noob.

If you use a PC monitor then the lag will feel really bad.

However, there is a 120hz mode on this TV but it's only for 1080p and not 4K, this mode brings the lag down to around 16 ms which is more then double the lag of some of the best PC monitors out there.

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Guys, I just setup my newly received Sony A1... look at the disaster. What are these awful stains on the screen?! Burn in? It is supposedly brand new! Other defect?

I just launched the screen refresh to check it disappears but I have no hope... I think I will to return it under warranty.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
If you use a PC monitor then the lag will feel really bad.

However, there is a 120hz mode on this TV but it's only for 1080p and not 4K, this mode brings the lag down to around 16 ms which is more then double the lag of some of the best PC monitors out there.
I already use a pre-HDR Samsung 4k tv with my PC so I imagine I wouldn't really notice any difference. Thank you!

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Guys, I just setup my newly received Sony A1... look at the disaster. What are these awful stains on the screen?! Burn in? It is supposedly brand new! Other defect?

I just launched the screen refresh to check it disappears but I have no hope... I think I will to return it under warranty.

Burn in is something that may occur over a long period of time, so this is a defective screen and should be replaced.

I already use a pre-HDR Samsung 4k tv with my PC so I imagine I wouldn't really notice any difference. Thank you!

Can you tell me the model of your TV?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So when should I run the screen cleaning function on the B7? I figured it's something you should do every now and then for maintenance, but I also hear you shouldn't use it as it ages the pixels?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know what's going on there but my A1 was nothing like that. After extensive gameplay use...it's nothing like that.

Get it replaced fella.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know what's going on there but my A1 was nothing like that. After extensive gameplay use...it's nothing like that.

Get it replaced fella.

If that picture is brand new out of the box and the uniformity has corrected after a compensation cycle there is no need to return the set.

OLED's uniformity can be awful until a few compensation cycles (the auto ones that run every 4 hours after a set is switched off) have run.

No need to return if it has disappeared!

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Alright, thanks! I'll keep that A1 under surveillance... it has a 2 years warranty so if anything goes wrong I'll get it replaced.

The image is very good right now. I am so happy !!!

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming in Dolby Vision OMG

Edit: my first introduction to 4K HDR for movies was UHD discs played last night on the X1X and wow that was a mistake. Not sure if it's the player or the settings I had going but Dolby Vision thru VUDU is absolutely amazing. No way I could ever go back to my plasma.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Active HDR only works on anything that's not HDR game, you need dynamic contrast on low, for it to be activated.

Just want to make sure I understood your response to him about HDR Game Mode not being dim. When I put the TV in Game Mode when being fed an HDR signal, I should have Dynamic Contrast set to low or should I have it off? Or am I completely not understanding what you mean?

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, the stains disappeared. The screen is ok now. I dot know what to think / do.

OLED TVs need a few compensation cycles to settle in. That's why it's a pain to replace one, you need to watch at least ten hours of content before telling if your TV is ok or not.
Your TV will keep improving in the first month, one another common thing with OLED is that your blacks are gonna be crushed at first. Wait several cycles before choosing a definitive picture setting.

So when should I run the screen cleaning function on the B7? I figured it's something you should do every now and then for maintenance, but I also hear you shouldn't use it as it ages the pixels?

Only do it if you notice any image retention. That's it sole purpose. Auto comp cycle are fine by themselves.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Just want to make sure I understood your response to him about HDR Game Mode not being dim. When I put the TV in Game Mode when being fed an HDR signal, I should have Dynamic Contrast set to low or should I have it off? Or am I completely not understanding what you mean?

Active HDR doesn't work on 2017 models for HDR game mode, but it does work for movies etc.

You can have DC set to low for gaming, but it essentially just manipulates gamma, not a dynamic tone mapping response, like the 2018 models have for game mode.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming in Dolby Vision OMG

Edit: my first introduction to 4K HDR for movies was UHD discs played last night on the X1X and wow that was a mistake. Not sure if it's the player or the settings I had going but Dolby Vision thru VUDU is absolutely amazing. No way I could ever go back to my plasma.

Another satisfied digital customer.

iuuk

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone with an OLED have some weird (horizontal mostly, sometimes) colour banding in cartoons every now and then, and if so what is the reason for it? It's not the regular OLED banding since it's not even always straight. It's very difficult to photograph, but you can kind of see it here:

https://imgur.com/a/Vw5mEnFp
https://imgur.com/5yXb5Kb

It's more obvious in person, only shows on some colours (mostly blue-ish and brown-ish) and I don't (or at least very rarely) have the problem with non cartoon shows. Is this a problem with the quality the channel puts out, quality of the cartoon or some TV-settings? Only thing I tried to change was the gamma, but that doesn't make any difference. I've got an LG E7 by the way.

Edit: no clue how image posting works, both img tags and and inserting it via the top bar doesn't seem to work.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I am not a fan of dynamic tone mapping on the C8 in games/movies, messes with the EOTF curve, and consequently, picture too much. Does not really work like it does in Dolby Vision.

Interesting, thats its basically a good calibrated 2.2 gamma, do you use it for dark room as well?

im rolling back to calibrated 2.2 in my B7 too, bt1886 looks great, but gamma 2.2 its more close to what my old plasma and monitors show.

Actually on my C7, DeWayne calibrated it to 2.35 gamma, with the target gamma being 2.4, in PC mode... it did not clip the blacks. Personally prefer that for SDR movies. Some/most games are mastered at 2.2 gamma anyway seems like. Like RDR for example which I recently played on the 1X.

On the C8, can't use 2.4 target gamma in PC mode as for some reason it clips some blacks. Yup use it in dark room, and still looks awesome :)

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not entirely happy with skin tones yet. Not sure I can really do much about that without a proper calibration (which I don't have the knowledge or equipment to do).

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I am not a fan of dynamic tone mapping on the C8 in games/movies, messes with the EOTF curve, and consequently, picture too much. Does not really work like it does in Dolby Vision.

Actually on my C7, DeWayne calibrated it to 2.35 gamma, with the target gamma being 2.4, in PC mode... it did not clip the blacks. Personally prefer that for SDR movies. Some/most games are mastered at 2.2 gamma anyway seems like. Like RDR for example which I recently played on the 1X.

On the C8, can't use 2.4 target gamma in PC mode as for some reason it clips some blacks. Yup use it in dark room, and still looks awesome :)

This is what I've been trying to say about DTM, when i did a ton of testing, around 50% of scenes looked better without it, loads of blowing out of highlights too.

Also the assumption that DTM always looks brighter, when in fact it doesn't.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused about RGB settings on PS4. Should I be using Full or Limited. Setting to automatic the system seems to default to Full. I'm using HDMI on OLED

Oct 28, 2017
I
This is what I've been trying to say about DTM, when i did a ton of testing, around 50% of scenes looked better without it, loads of blowing out of highlights too.

Also the assumption that DTM always looks brighter, when in fact it doesn't.

Have to say, I have been tinkering with my B7 settings for 2 days now and HDR game mode is def dimmer than the others. Cinema mode looks best to me.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I

Have to say, I have been tinkering with my B7 settings for 2 days now and HDR game mode is def dimmer than the others. Cinema mode looks best to me.

Make sure dynamic contrast is off in cinema, when you are comparing, I've lost count of the times I have compared and seen absolutely no difference.

Oct 28, 2017
Make sure dynamic contrast is off in cinema, when you are comparing, I've lost count of the times I have compared and seen absolutely no difference.

Comparing Cinema and Game Mode directly both with Dynamic Contrast set off you are indeed correct, but I think Cinema looks better with Dynamic Contrast set to low and it is the recommend default setting by Rtings.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Comparing Cinema and Game Mode directly both with Dynamic Contrast set off you are indeed correct, but I think Cinema looks better with Dynamic Contrast set to low and it is the recommend default setting by Rtings.

I use it for cinema too, but not all scenes are brighter or more impactful compared to off, and it definitely does not do a great job for gaming, as games look really overblown in bright scenes.

I've been thinking about how different the mediums are, as in films and games, and how dynamic tone mapping would differ between them.

So in regards to films, the majority of scenes just flick from one to the next, little movement or change a lot of the time, so the tone mapping algorithm has an easier job, unlike games, the camera is a 24/7 free flow, 360 degree constant, and at any given time can change it's surroundings and conditions, with zero break, so it does make me wonder how efficient it is, because I would walk around taking in lots of different sights, but never notice any adaption from the DTM, but if I turned it on and off, you'd then see the difference, and it never quite looked as it did..........just a thought.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I've always wondered: does this occur after 4 hours of continuous use? Or after 4 total hours, even if they're broken up by days?

That I don't know.

I'm confused about RGB settings on PS4. Should I be using Full or Limited. Setting to automatic the system seems to default to Full. I'm using HDMI on OLED

I set black level to high and rgb to full for Switch. However, users said that HDR screws this so I would say set it to limired and black level to low for PS4.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've had the LG SK9000 for a while now, but I only noticed the terrible backlight bleed yesterday while playing Dark Souls. It's an IPS panel, so I'm aware this problem was to be expected. I could still return it. According to Rtings, the Sony X900F has much better black uniformity. However, the Sony model has input lag of about 40 ms, while the LG only has roughly 15 ms. In fact, that's the main reason why I opted for the LG.

No idea what do now. Can anyone tell me if the Sony's black uniformity is substantially better? How noticeable is the difference between 40 ms and 15 ms?

Oct 28, 2017
What are these horizontal lines that I keep seeing on lower resolution content on the OLED? They are like red/blue horizontal stripes that show up in bright scenes. Is this color banding?

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had the LG SK9000 for a while now, but I only noticed the terrible backlight bleed yesterday while playing Dark Souls. It's an IPS panel, so I'm aware this problem was to be expected. I could still return it. According to Rtings, the Sony X900F has much better black uniformity. However, the Sony model has input lag of about 40 ms, while the LG only has roughly 15 ms. In fact, that's the main reason why I opted for the LG.

No idea what do now. Can anyone tell me if the Sony's black uniformity is substantially better? How noticeable is the difference between 40 ms and 15 ms?

The X900F only has 40ms input lag at 1080p.
At 4k it's 24ms

You'd be going from an IPS panel to a FALD VA panel.
The difference will be substantial.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
The X900F only has 40ms input lag at 1080p.
At 4k it's 24ms

You'd be going from an IPS panel to a FALD VA panel.
The difference will be substantial.

Thanks, I guess in hindsight it was pretty foolish to opt for the IPS panel when I could get a VA for the same price. I think I'll return the LG and get the X900F instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.