• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I need your help era. My wife and I use wired earbuds with our Roku so we don't wake up our daughter when she is sleeping. We have currently gone through 3 pairs of 10-30 dollar range headphones from Walmart and other places. I was searching Amazon for something hopefully more durible, but honestly it's so flooded with brands I've never even heard of, I have no idea what is good. If you use wired earbuds often and have some brands/models you love that are around 50-100 bucks let me know what they are! I'd prefer to stay on the cheaper end, but clearly anything around 30 dollars keeps letting me down. The biggest thing for me is going to be that they last long.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I got a pair of Anker wired buds off Amazon for about $30 and they've lasted me the last few years as sort of a back up pair, or the pair I use with my Switch. Decent sound quality though I'm not audiophile.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using KZ DQ6 and KZ ZSN Pro and both are amazing for their price. They're a bit bulky though for most people. The Blon BL-03 are some nice ones too.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is exactly one pair of $30 headphones that will not let you down in terms of sound quality. These sound better than the majority of $100 headphones.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've had experience with a few:

I used to recommend the Jabra Elite 65t or 75t. They're excellent for bluetooth options, great noise cancellation for earbuds, really comforable fit, excellent battery life, seemingly very good build quality, great features with the app around balancing sound preferences. They also stay in my ear comfortably without silicon wraps or any other features, they have this sort of ... I dunno, matte svelte feel to them and they stay in comfortably, up to about 45min-60min of running where sometimes if my ear gets very sweaty they can be a little less comfortable (almost like a vaccum feeling), I've always preferred that to the silicon wings which never fit me right. But, they're usually between $150-$200 depending on sales, and I've actually had problems with 2 pairs now, and have had to send them both back for warranty replacement. Jabra has a 1 or 2 year warranty, but it's extremely slow to get replacements... You have to jump through a ton of stupid hoops to get the warranty process started, and then once you do send them back it takes weeks. I've been waiting for 2 weeks since sending another pair back and it's taking for ever.

THe problem with BOTH of them is that there's a little sensor, this pinhole sensor, which I think is for picking up ambient audio, and that sensor gets filled with junk overtime. Who knows, wax, debris, sweat, dirt, etc. That sensor gets that shit packed in there, hard as a rock, and the audio of the earbud slowly gets quieter, and quieter, and quieter, because of some bug... Like I swore "jeez these seem way quieter than they used to be... maybe it's my phone... maybe it's this podcast... maybe it's somethign else..." and then, "hrm, the left earbud seems way quieteer than the right, maybe I'm going crazy, maybe it's my hearing..." Finally, my left earbud completely stopped producing sound, and because the two earbuds are linked up to balance audio, the right earbud stopped producing sound too. 0% volume, couldn't change it.

Finally I google it, read on reddit peopl ehaving a similar problem. The sensor gets fucked up packed with shit. A solution? Take a paper clip, lightly push it into the sensor, break up the crud, and then tap the earbud on a hard surface till it all falls out ... Voila, works again. Jabra does not suggest you do this. THey suggest you go through the warranty process, which takes months. Why? Because if you tap ever so slightly too strong, you can permanently damage the sensor inside the buds and they're busted.

SO...

I fixed one pair, my wife's, with that method. But then I did mine? Broke them. So I've sent those ones back and... it's been 2 weeks.

So now? Fuck em. Theyr'e great earbuds when they work, but to have BOTH ~$200 earbuds break? The same way? Both 12-18mos after purchase? Fuck em, not worth the hassle anymore.

I bought a pair of replacement Anker earbuds for $40... I think they're the Soundcore Life series, I think the "A" series or the "Dot" series which I Think are the same thing. They're like $35-$45, great battery life, great sound, work fine, stay in. Negatives, I don't like the silicon ring thing, I don't find them comfortable, but they do stay in even when playing basketball.

What's the drawback to Anker? Wlel, go on amazon and search "Anker earbuds," you're going to get 50 results of products that all look basically identical for the same ballpark price and I can never figure out what "The new ones" are. Seriously... Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo, Anker SoundCore Life, Anker Soundcore Life P Series, ANker SOundcore Life Dot Series, Anker SOudncore Life A series. There's like 5-6 different earbud options, and your guess is as good as mine for what's new or old. I THINK the dot series is the newest? But fuck it, could be totally wrong.

The Jabra's are the best ones that I've used, stay in all the time, cycling, running, basketball (little worse for bball), great noise cancellation, excellent battery life, features, integration with Android/iPhone. BUT, the fucking sensor getting packed with goo and utterly bricking the things sucks. The warranty is goo dbecause they know this is a problem, but the warranty service taking ... I dunno... a month, longer? and requiring serious effort to even fill out a warranty request ... ? That sucks monkey butts.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Panasonic HJ1000 - detachable cord
Shure E3C - they replaced these free years later and even let me switch colors

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Side question with this, Wired or Wireless earbuds, but does anyone know of any good earbuds WITHOUT the rubber nipple on the end? I can never get them to fit right, tried all sorts of different sizes, and it just makes me hear my own breathing and chewing, it's not an enjoyable experience.

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is blon bl03. If you look around, you can find them for ~$25. If you want to step up to the next level, Moondrop Aria at $80 is also an amazing value with excellent sound quality.

I should note that these are technically in ear monitors (not earbuds), which means the silicone tips have to go a bit deeper into your ear canal and the wire loops around your ear. The sound quality will be better than anything you can find in their price brackets.

The main point of failure for earbuds is the wire giving out. The two I mentioned above have detachable wires so if they start to go out, you can just buy a replacement wire for cheap.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Side question with this, Wired or Wireless earbuds, but does anyone know of any good earbuds WITHOUT the rubber nipple on the end? I can never get them to fit right, tried all sorts of different sizes, and it just makes me hear my own breathing and chewing, it's not an enjoyable experience.
That's ideal for sound isolation and something that people replace or customize their tips to achieve. Are you referring to those loose ones that collapse to the touch? Those are, in my experience, the worst at closing you in.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That's ideal for sound isolation and something that people replace or customize their tips to achieve. Are you referring to those loose ones that collapse to the touch? Those are, in my experience, the worst at closing you in.
Honestly, any, I've tried a bunch of different ones of varying size and density... I just want earbuds without that. Currently I have the JBL Tune 220TWS, but they're falling apart super quick, and I'd like a better replacement.

I don't care for sound isolation or noise canceling, I tend to use them on the bus or biking so I do need to hear things around me.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I have used a pair of JVC air cushion earbuds since like 2012, they still sound great and are super comfy. I always recommend JVC as budget earbuds as a result. I've heard the Marshmallow ones are pretty decent.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hard to fit them in my ears, but once they're crammed in they sound pretty loud.

c8433183da0cee010864fa02432ff3c9

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Honestly, any, I've tried a bunch of different ones of varying size and density... I just want earbuds without that. Currently I have the JBL Tune 220TWS, but they're falling apart super quick, and I'd like a better replacement.

I don't care for sound isolation or noise canceling, I tend to use them on the bus or biking so I do need to hear things around me.
This is what they are called:
www.headphonesty.com

15 Types of Headphones: All You Need to Know for Picking the Best Pair

Don't know much about headphones? Here's an analytic view of the different types of headphones you can get in the market today.

Watch out for loud volume and potential hearing loss when using earbuds in loud environments though.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is what they are called:
www.headphonesty.com

15 Types of Headphones: All You Need to Know for Picking the Best Pair

Don't know much about headphones? Here's an analytic view of the different types of headphones you can get in the market today.

Watch out for loud volume and potential hearing loss when using earbuds in loud environments though.
Oh for sure, I keep the volume relatively low.

But it does seem that the page refers to Earbuds as what I'm looking for, however everything even in-ear monitors based on how that page describes them, are called earbuds at this point.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Oh for sure, I keep the volume relatively low.

But it does seem that the page refers to Earbuds as what I'm looking for, however everything even in-ear monitors based on how that page describes them, are called earbuds at this point.
Different sizes of tips and earhooks can also be helpful in alleviating noise from outside. I also find chewing noises and "ear muscle"-sounds are worse with closer fitting in-ear tips like foam.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I used to love Sony and still do for many of their audio equipment, but the last pair that just broke was Sony. Its kind of has me wondering about them. I am not sure what model it was, but they were about the same price as these, possibly one of these.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I use these:

www.thehouseofmarley.com

Smile Jamaica In-Ear Headphones

Smile Jamaica Wired Earbuds offer superior sound quality and pure comfort for sustainability-minded music lovers who need a reliable pair of earbuds.

No complaints whatsoever for that price. A bit bass heavy but that tends to work well with the kind of music I listen to on the go.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I've been using KZ DQ6 and KZ ZSN Pro and both are amazing for their price. They're a bit bulky though for most people. The Blon BL-03 are some nice ones too.
they are ugly as heck, but those are the exact brand I was looking at before starting this thread, good to know. I am investigating all brands listed here lol

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Sony extra bass joints

Sony XB50AP Extra Bass https://g.co/kgs/KHJWou

Durable, good sound, cheap as hell now and they block out pretty much all noise with zero leakage. They're legit. 100% recommend them.
Yeah, I got the Sony extra bass ones a while back after the ones that came with my phone broke, and the quality has been amazing for the price (I got them on sale too).

I've only had them for a year or less though, so I can't personally speak to their durability.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Sennheiser Cx100s or IE4s I think.
the one without the microphone dongle.
I believe they were 40 bucks as a great price 4 or 5 years ago, and now they're down to ~30 bucks as a regular price?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
buy something with a replaceable cable. thats the main killer. mainstream brands dont usually do this because fuck you pay me

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All the decent sounding buds I have used under 100 or so have lacked durability.

Between me and my partner, we've had three pairs of these. Two of them broke (the wires just ended up losing connectivity and needed to be jiggled around near where they connect to the buds to work), and one went through the wash and died (my fault, lol). Neither of us really took the best care of them overall...

Saying this... my friend had a pair for years and they never broke. He made sure to wind them up carefully after each use and place them in the protective pouch you get.

They sound amazing, too, the best buds I have ever heard for the price range. If you are careful with your stuff, I think they might be worth considering as they do appear to last a long time if you take care of them.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have not been able to find cheap earbuds that last, I tried a bunch, and generally just gave.
Those things last me a few months and that's just gonna be that I guess.

There is exactly one pair of $30 headphones that will not let you down in terms of sound quality. These sound better than the majority of $100 headphones.

The OP asked for a durable earbuds, these headphones are neither earbuds nor terribly durable.

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
I used to love Sony and still do for many of their audio equipment, but the last pair that just broke was Sony. Its kind of has me wondering about them. I am not sure what model it was, but they were about the same price as these, possibly one of these.
I have these for 2 years. I got them when they first came out. They are working like champs.

The cheaper ones ie. without the extra bass ones, I had for 3+ years.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Soundmagic E80s, build quality is brilliant

Have to second Sony not being a durable brand.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
they are ugly as heck, but those are the exact brand I was looking at before starting this thread, good to know. I am investigating all brands listed here lol

Haha fair enough :p. I find them charming though xD, but if appearance is a factor, the BLON BL-3 might be something. Otherwise, the FiiO FD3 is one I've been keeping my 👀 on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I used the AKG headphones that came with my Note 9 for a while, those are pretty good. here

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Haha fair enough :p. I find them charming though xD, but if appearance is a factor, the BLON BL-3 might be something. Otherwise, the FiiO FD3 is one I've been keeping my 👀 on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I used the AKG headphones that came with my Note 9 for a while, those are pretty good. here
I ended up ordering BLON BL-3 since I can replace the cable. I think the cable is what's breaking most of the time. Fingers cross 🤞

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I have not been able to find cheap earbuds that last, I tried a bunch, and generally just gave.
Those things last me a few months and that's just gonna be that I guess.

The OP asked for a durable earbuds, these headphones are neither earbuds nor terribly durable.
Yeah unfortunately they have to be earbuds. I have two really nice pairs of headphones already, but this is for sharing an ear with the Roku remote.

Oct 25, 2017
KZ ES4s are my go to, especially for cheap wired headphones with great sound. They only cost about 20 USD and are really good.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
www.ebay.com

SanDisk Earphones Earbuds GENUINE Black In-Ear Headphones 4 MP3 Players Clip Jam | eBay

NEVER USED OR OPENED! SanDisk Clip Jam Earphones GENUINE Black In-Ear Earbud Headphones for MP3 Player. ONE Genuine SanDisk Clip Jam Earphones. Sandisk Jam earphones with foam-cushioned earpieces. Color: Black.

These are from a Sandisk mp3 player I used to own years ago which I imagine is now discontinued. Let me be clear that I am the last person to ask anything regarding audio quality but I will say I originally liked them because they have what I consider a nice bass sound when other earbuds I tried did not. The headphones I use at my PC are Koss Porta Pros which are highly regarded and I can't tell a big difference between the two, but again, I know jack about audio.

Like you, I don't want to spend a lot on earbuds and I use them for hours every day at work. These are a great option for me since I like the sound and they are also dirt cheap. The linked ebay auction (didn't see them on amazon) has them for $7.99 or $4.00 each if you buy 4 or more pairs. I purchased a pack of 15 maybe 7 years (or longer) ago and have gone through 7 or 8 pairs so far. The foam covers wear out and tear over time so something like this can save money. The nice thing about going for more of a "disposable" solution vs a higher cost option with better build quality is that you don't have to stress about not breaking them.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I ended up ordering BLON BL-3 since I can replace the cable. I think the cable is what's breaking most of the time. Fingers cross 🤞
Update on this. They came dead on arrival. Or maybe I am doing something wrong, they are sending me another pair. They worked for about 2 seconds on my Xbox controller, one ear works on my phone. I tried reseating the cabling a few times and no change.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
I got tired of buying new headphones every time a cable broke (cats, stupidity, etc) so I bought a pair of Campfire Comets. Replaceable cables rule. They'll last me until I'm dead probably.
Seem to be discontinued though.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
So my earbud adventure continues, my BLON BL-3's shipped broken the first time, second pair came and after one month of use the left ear went silent. Swapping cords and testing on multiple devices showed me it was not the cord and truly the earbud....

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
So my earbud adventure continues, my BLON BL-3's shipped broken the first time, second pair came and after one month of use the left ear went silent. Swapping cords and testing on multiple devices showed me it was not the cord and truly the earbud....

Bruh, that's just....damm. I'm sorry

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Bruh, that's just....damm. I'm sorry
I actually got the protection plan for once since I'm 3 for 3 on earbuds dying fast, so hopefully that's a smooth process. I'll update again if they die. At this point I might as well document my journey so that others can learn from my mistakes. If that doesn't pan out I'm going to try these and hope for the best... This is really irritating because wired earbuds is the only way my wife and I can enjoy a show or movie without waking up the little one.

Shure SE215

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
What's a good budget wireless option for android/google phones?
Ive used boltune ones about $30 my last pair survived dropping into a trash can of concrete slurry. I only replaced them when they got stolen. I use them on new construction jobsites so they are pretty durable, and decent sound for the price.

www.boltune.com

Boltune Official Site - Boost Your Tunes

Boltune is a young global consumer electronics brand mainly engaged in superior-quality Bluetooth audio products. Boltune Official website offers True Wireless Stereo Earbuds, noise cancelling headphones, sports headphones. Free Shipping.