Nov 8, 2017
  • For whatever reason the story felt even dumber and much less charming than RE4's ultra cheese. Complete Global Saturation and boulder punching are funny memes but come too late to really make me think positively about all this bullshit.
  • The gameplay changes didn't feel better than 4, often they felt worse.
  • The AI partner caused frustration in parts.
  • Replacing inventory tetris with 9 slots that lack even an empty space to "juggle" in for herbs was abysmal. This and real time menuing makes sense for a coop game to some extent but as a solo game it's just terrible.
  • The prevalence of coop doors, coop boosts, and other coop things really makes it hard to forget that this is a coop ass coop game designed for cooperative coop cooperations.
  • Single player or coop, the large number of firearm enemies in the closing act were terrible.
  • Most of the boss fights are so so at best, or downright bad at worst. I think being pinned in the corner with a crashed HMMWV nailing a super el-gigante and other enemies with a turret for like 10 minutes without the ability to move has to be one of the most creatively bankrupt fights in the series.

It's not the worst solo experience you could have, there are much worse games out there, but as a coop game it's like a 7/10, and as a single player game it's like a 5/10.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Depending how much the AI fucks up, it may be good to kinda bad.

Still much better than the abomination that is RE6.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Miserable. It's shameful that a game as great and important as RE4 was followed by this junk.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As someone who has 300+ hours in RE5 across all systems, I think the SP experience for the title is fine. It's not necessarily perfect, but so long as Sheva is treated like an actual partner and not a pack mule. There's not much issue to her use, even in a first time playthrough. There's definitely a concern on her abilities the higher the difficulty you go, but i've beaten the game even on Veteran with a fresh save in SP with ease.

This isn't to excuse players who have trouble with the AI however. As she can be troublesome especially in newer releases where her Path Finding is a bit broken. On the most recent ports she can easily die from the lasers in the temple section despite never having that issue before. Regardless, the experience might not be as "perfer" as RE4. But whether it's SP or Coop RE5 remains the RE title I've had the most fun with and will always go back to playing.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Why are so many people playing RE5 for the campaign!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Resident Evil 5 is one of the greatest videogames of ALL time for one reason and ONE reason *ONLY*

latest

There is a reason why RE5 is in my top 5 favroite games of all time, and Mercenaries mode my friends, is that reason.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's okay. The shooting gallery-style gameplay was still fun at its core. That's why Mercenaries is such a vital mode.

Of course, the game being built for co-op (and focusing more on Mercenaries) showed through and through. The chapter system, the abusable economy, the arena-like level designs, and the shitty partner AI made the experience a stark contrast to the wholly satisfying campaign in RE4.

Last edited:

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I liked mercenaries but that's about it. It took any flaws RE4 had and made them worse while adding very little positives to it.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I liked mercenaries but that's about it. It took any flaws RE4 had and made them worse while adding very little positives to it.
Some aspects are flat out worse. The weapon economy in RE4 is utterly fantastic. You can get plenty of money for weapons and upgrades if you look for it, but in a single playthrough your spending is permanent. In RE5 you can just farm for money by replaying select sections (looking at you, Chapter 5-2). Completely breaks the game.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Well, I have done it 5 times.

People who complain about the AI simply aren't good at the game.

lol. I thought your first post was sarcastic. I played through the game on lower difficulties and did not have issues. I thought maybe the AI issues were more pronounced on pro or something.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
lol. I thought your first post was sarcastic. I played through the game on lower difficulties and did not have issues. I thought maybe the AI issues were more pronounced on pro or something.
There are some difficult times, sure but as I said, It's completely doable.