SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Historians aren't entirely certain about the tales of Spartans culling their citizenry of the weak and disabled. And the stories of Spartan perfection are certainly aggrandized.

So in that respect, it's hard to compare then with a group like the Nazis, whose war crimes are vast and documented in detail. Essentially, 300 is a stylized take of a comic loosely based on retellings of historical events that are partially myth and legend. You have to go through like 3 layers of fiction before you start hitting facts.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Do you want us to abandon all western myths then; as they were once used as "Christian Propaganda"? It DOES have a business staying around today just as much as it ever did; a cultural story or myth does not need justification to remain...
He's not advocating the abandonment of all mythology, just that we should critically examine these historical fictions and why we continue to project our contemporary values on essentially alien cultures like Sparta. You wildly mischaracterized his opinion in a way that makes me believe you're not arguing in good faith.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reads like an onion article, I mean jesus christ its a fucking comic book movie. People just seeing what they want to see, I guess.

I hate to be the one getting outraged over people getting outraged but this shit is just ridiculous lately. I wonder if others even realize how toxic and offputting this type of witch hunting is?

Ah yes, just a comic book. Those vapid ol' things

9780394541556_custom-a7075278983531a21333172041dcc6530a0605cf-s400-c85.jpg

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a movie based on a comic by a right wing nut job about an ancient fascist military dictatorship. I own it though.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie and its sequel.

But I'm not going to defend it either. The shit is wrong.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I for one pride myself on my ability to not think critically about anything.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I thought the portrayal of the Persians was pretty hilarious. As far as ancient empires go, they were one of the more reasonable and progressive. They would often allow the conquered to retain their traditions, culture and religion providing they didn't upset the apple cart. They were obviously brutal to those who rebelled though.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is Golden Dawn, a Neo Nazi group who hate immigrants, are emboldened by the film's popularity to rally at this Spartan statue annually.
1.jpg

Absolute trash. If this is at the site of Thermopylae which it seems to be, there is a 2nd NZEF memorial nearby, commemorating the Anzac forces that held the Thermopylae pass against actual Nazis in 1941 (knocking out 15 German tanks until ordered to retreat). This is pissing on the grave of the soldiers who actually fought Nazis invading Greece.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Welp, I watched it ages ago and I remember enjoying it because of the action and impossibly strong homoeroticism, lol. Leave it to nutty alt-righters to ruin everything, I guess.

lilpump

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
He's not advocating the abandonment of all mythology, just that we should critically examine these historical fictions and why we continue to project our contemporary values on essentially alien cultures like Sparta. You wildly mischaracterized his opinion in a way that makes me believe you're not arguing in good faith.
No he clearly states it has no reason to exist in its current state.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
No he clearly states it has no reason to exist in its current state.

He clearly states:

It's one of those creation myths that really got no business staying around the way it's told.

That is not to say the story should not exist, but that the way it's told is dishonest and disrespects the actual history. I would not characterize a more honest, nuanced, and complete version of the Spartan 300 story as erasure of the Western mythos, unless our Western identity is so fragile that it cannot exist alongside the truth.