Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
https://amp.ft.com/content/5e491e78-7147-11e9-bf5c-6eeb837566c5?__twitter_impression=true
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ubg-for-chinese-game-that-can-generate-profit

This comes as the result of China freezing approval of online games a while back and implementing stricter regulations regarding violence. Tencent was apparently never able to get official approval for a commercial license. They took it down with a "maintenance" message, then put up a message claiming that the "testing period" is over (it was a test?) and giving players links to download the "new" game.

The rebranded game is called "Game for Peace," and is apparently produced in conjunction with the Chinese air force. It has the same map and guns and UI and slight art changes, but it also has stuff to comply with content regulations:

-When players die, they politely pull out their death boxes and wave goodbye instead of ragdolling and dying
-There's sparks instead of blood
-In one video it appears that if you reach 5 alive, the game automatically considers you a winner and lets you quit or stay until the end

There's no change for the game outside China.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, the second one I understand, a lot of games in China had to do it, but lol at the first one.
Also, I have no idea why the third one is even necessary.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, 'Game for Peace'. They went with a close synonym of the original title I see.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
The rebranded game is called "Game for Peace," and is apparently produced in conjunction with the Chinese air force.

Chris-Evans-Laughing-GIFs-Pictures.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Haha

Top 5 players (squads) are now all considered winners of the game. When there are only 5 players (squads) left in a game, a pop-up will ask the player to choose to quit as top 5 or compete for the first place. A birthday cake will appear on the ground for the first place, and a helicopter will come to evacuate the survivors.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Now the question is, would Diablo: Immortals be better or worse if the monsters were to wave goodbye?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Someone confirm to me that the birthday cake and helicopter bits are real

i need to believe

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
reminds me of how the German version of Half-Life turned all Marines into robots and had civilians just sit down and shake their head when they were killed. (and, of course, no blood...)
giphy.gif

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
reminds me of how the German version of Half-Life turned all Marines into robots and had civilians just sit down and shake their head when they were killed. (and, of course, no blood...)
Yeah, German censorship. You also couldn't shoot pedestrians in Mafia. Your character would just stop shooting when aiming on them, resulting in huge issues in gunfights.

Chinese censorship doesnt make sense. Go after PUBG, but still thousands of other games, some even popular since a decade (Crossfire) are okay.

Fixed it:

30fjdc2rket.jpg

Where's the difference?

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Expat in China here. How sure are you guys that this is real? I'll ask some of my colleagues tomorrow.

I remember some ResetERA topic from last year that PUBG and other games were not available in China anymore. I went into that thread to tell everyone that it's fake news as every one of my colleagues was still playing PUBG and the games were obviously still available in China, but everyone in that thread ignored my messaged and carried on with their nonsense about how it's bad that those games aren't available in China anymore lol

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is fake as well. I'll confirm with my work colleagues (they play 'the chicken game' as PUBG mobile is known in China) tomorrow and let you guys know if it's

Oct 28, 2017
Expat in China here. How sure are you guys that this is real? I'll ask some of my colleagues tomorrow.

I remember some ResetERA topic from last year that PUBG and other games were not available in China anymore. I went into that thread to tell everyone that it's fake news as every one of my colleagues was still playing PUBG and the games were obviously still available in China, but everyone in that thread ignored my messaged and carried on with their nonsense about how it's bad that those games aren't available in China anymore lol

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is fake as well. I'll confirm with my work colleagues (they play 'the chicken game' as PUBG mobile is known in China) tomorrow and let you guys know if it's

You're an immigrant, not an expat.

Anyway, why not check the official app store used to grab the game?

Oct 25, 2017
but everyone in that thread ignored my messaged and carried on with their nonsense about how it's bad that those games aren't available in China anymore lol
No that was a thread about Game APPROVALS being frozen. Titles that were being submitted for review were in limbo. it was not games suddenly died in China.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Expat is the "nice" word for immigrant, but its all the same. I hate seeing the word expat used because its almost exclusively used by people who think they're above being an immigrant, much like your "excuse me?" patter.
Immigrant =NOUN a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
Alternatively: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

Yeah, no. I'm definitely not an immigrant; won't permanently live in China. I'm an expat currently working in China. You have some issues.
That you think all expats should identify as immigrants clearly shows you've got issues. Reported.

Not sure I'm gonna take random Era poster over Bloomberg for this one.
I mean, if Bloomberg says a game isn't available in China, but someone who lives there confirms to you that the fact is it's still available, you're free to believe Bloomberg lol It doesn't change the facts. Also, I have no interest in lying about this one way or the other. I don't even play PUBG.