• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

OSLO, Norway – Sept 30th, 2019 – Tencent, a leading Internet company with a strong online games operation, entered into a share purchase agreement to acquire 29% of the shares in Funcom, the independent developer and publisher of games such as Conan Exiles, The Secret World, and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. The acquisition makes Tencent the largest shareholder in Funcom. Funcom is listed as Funcom SE on the Oslo Stock Exchange (OSE: Funcom).

Tencent has agreed to acquire all shares belonging to the Norway-based KGJ Capital AS, which is currently the largest shareholder in Funcom.

For more than a decade, Funcom has successfully launched major multiplayer titles including Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, The Secret World, and most recently Conan Exiles. Both 2017 and 2018 were the most profitable years in Funcom's history.

Funcom announced recently that the company has acquired the exclusive rights to develop and publish PC and console games based on the DUNE IP for the next six years. The company is already working on an open world sandbox game set in the DUNE universe and is working closely with Legendary Entertainment who will be releasing a new DUNE feature film in December 2020 directed by Denis Villeneuve.

"We are very pleased to see Tencent come in as the largest shareholder of Funcom," says Funcom CEO Rui Casais. "Tencent has a reputation for being a responsible long-term investor, and for its renowned operational capabilities in online games.The insight, experience, and knowledge that Tencent will bring is of great value to us and we look forward to working closely with them as we continue to develop great games and build a successful future for Funcom."

Tencent ranks top in terms of online games revenue globally and is a shareholder in many of the world's leading gaming companies such as Riot Games, Epic, Supercell, Ubisoft, Paradox, Frontier and Miniclip.

No one is stopping Tencent.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting that they've become the biggest games company in the world, but many players in the west don't really know who they are.

Nov 8, 2017
Good to hear the Funcom are having great success with Conan Exiles. This game is so damn overlooked and underrated. I've been playing private co-op for the last six months with a buddy and it's the most fun we've had from any game in over a decade. So much to discover and learn, and we've still got lots more to do, and Funcom are continuously adding new content like dungeons, etc..

Conan Exiles is like all the best aspects of Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, and Minecraft all rolled into one amazing game (can't speak for the PvP or PvE online modes since we haven't touched those).

I wish there were more games like this, and I hope Funcom build on the concept with whatever they end up doing with Dune.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I had no idea Conan Exiles was so successful.

Actually looks kinda interesting, I'm surprised I haven't seen folks talking about it. Sounds a bit like Kenshi, which I can't get enough of at the moment.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Only Conan Exile and that was quite a while ago and I remember the game fell below their expectation when it was first released on Steam. They've been cruising for years with their super niche audience I was really worried their days are numbered as Secret World Legends has no new story contents for over a year.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
while ago and I remember the game fell below their expectation when it was first released on Steam.

Below expectations?

After the very successful launch of Conan Exiles in 1Q17 focus has been on fixing bugs and investing to improve, expanded and prepare the game for Xbox One Game Preview, "The Frozen North" expansion update, as well as the longer term work towards full launch including PS4.

• 2Q17 was the second consecutive profitable quarter for Funcom. 1H17 is the most profitable half-year period ever in Funcom's history.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
They also have a large shareholding in Fatshark (and indirectly a small shareholding in Toadman Interactive). I wonder what percentage of the global gaming market is owned by Chinese companies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Actually looks kinda interesting, I'm surprised I haven't seen folks talking about it. Sounds a bit like Kenshi, which I can't get enough of at the moment.
Conan Exiles IS successful. But it's also a survival game so you won't get to see much discussion in here or console-centric sites.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
In The Valley of Gods is not a Steam exclusive.

Edit: and Firewatch came to other platforms after their acquisition by Valve.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, i really look forward for this concept - but i'm rather worried about the business model Tencent will force on it.
This worries me too. I got Conan Exiles on PS+, but I liked the game enough to buy all the DLC, which is the first time I've ever spent money on purely cosmetic DLC in any game. I'll probably be out if the next game is F2P.

The subreddit of the game is pretty active, but whenever the game gets brought up here, it's usually dismissed by people going "lol dong slider" or something.

Anyways, I'll admit that it's not a game for everyone. It's pretty grindy and I wouldn't bother with it as a single player game for that reason. It's also somewhat rough in terms of glitches; nothing really game-breaking, but definitely stuff that most people will notice when playing it. Nothing major enough to hinder my enjoyment of the game though.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Oh my fucking god if that could mean a second Age of Conan, just give Funcom all the money. Way too in advance for its time, unmatched in the gameplay / dungeons / farming aspect. Tencent please

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The subreddit of the game is pretty active, but whenever the game gets brought up here, it's usually dismissed by people going "lol dong slider" or something.

Anyways, I'll admit that it's not a game for everyone. It's pretty grindy and I wouldn't bother with it as a single player game for that reason. It's also somewhat rough in terms of glitches; nothing really game-breaking, but definitely stuff that most people will notice when playing it. Nothing major enough to hinder my enjoyment of the game though.
Is it worth it at all for singleplayer? Like there's stuff to do, or is it just like an empty server sort of thing? The store page isn't very clear.

It's half on on Steam atm so I'm kinda tempted.
Conan Exiles IS successful. But it's also a survival game so you won't get to see much discussion in here or console-centric sites.
Yeah that's fair, lol. Every community has its blind spots.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm okay with that if it means more available resources for Conan Exiles. One of those games which I complete underestimated and it simply blew my mind in every aspect. That's how good it is.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, i haven't seen mention of Age of Conan in eons

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Conan Exiles is like all the best aspects of Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, and Minecraft all rolled into one amazing game (can't speak for the PvP or PvE online modes since we haven't touched those).

The game was kind of empty when I played it, and enemies were either piss easy or impossible. Has it gotten any better? I really like Funcom's Conan setting but I can only play Age of Conan for so long.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How many devs does Tencent own now? Seems like they have their hands in so many now.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Um unless I missed something they are the largest shareholder NOT a MAJORITY shareholder. There is a big difference. Yes Tencent has clout but they don't have enough power to singlehandedly control corporate decisions.

Nov 8, 2017
Is it worth it at all for singleplayer? Like there's stuff to do, or is it just like an empty server sort of thing? The store page isn't very clear.
Oh there's plenty to do.

Firstly there's "The Journey", which is a series of 100 increasingly challenging objectives arranged into ten chapters. They start off really simple, like "Drink", "Eat", "Climb" and get increasingly challenging as you progress through them, with certain objectives requiring you to explore specific locations or defeat specific enemies/bosses. The objective descriptions are often very brief and don't necessarily detail exactly how to accomplish them, so you're expected to figure a lot of things out on your own (which is part of the fun).

Also worth noting that The Journey is also probably the closest thing Conan Exiles has to a story; the game even has an ending when you complete all the steps. Aside from that, there aren't really any cut scenes except for an intro, and only a handful of friendly NPC with any dialogue, as well as a few lorestones and notes that reveal some backstory to the game.

Secondly, the world has a ton of interesting locations, dungeons, bosses, and other surprises to be found. Exploration is definitely one of the highlights of the game for me. Playing on normal difficulty, it can get pretty intense when exploring a new cave or temple, having no idea whether you're prepared to face its challenges and knowing that you're at risk of losing everything you're carrying should something go wrong. On the other hand, it's pretty exhilarating when you stumble across a supply of raw materials that you haven't found yet anywhere else (assuming you're not using a guide of course).

Thirdly, there's the challenge of discovering how to most efficiently produce and manage the things you need. For example, it will feel super grindy when you first see what's required for crafting the strongest building pieces, but it becomes quite manageable later on once you start making breakthroughs on improving your efficiency and discovering better methods (I started playing in April and still making significant breakthroughs).

Finally, there's The Purge, which is a rare event where a bunch of random enemies will try to destroy your base and you need to defend your base against them. This is great for single player because it gives you a motivation to prepare your base for defense, which otherwise wouldn't be there in single player without The Purge.

Now... With all that said, the game also involves many hours of hitting rocks with a pick, and this is why I'm hesitant to recommend it as a single player game. It's fine if you've got a buddy or two to chat with, otherwise I think it might get a bit tedious. That said, there are also settings you can change to decrease the grind, but I'm not sure what kind of impact or side-effects this might have on the intended experience (for example, if you increase material gather rates, then the Purge might not be much of a challenge).

The game was kind of empty when I played it, and enemies were either piss easy or impossible. Has it gotten any better? I really like Funcom's Conan setting but I can only play Age of Conan for so long.
I think the bosses are designed with groups in mind, so you might need to play a bit more strategically when approaching them as a single player or two player co-op (i.e. bring a good fighter thrall to assist you), and even then they'll take time to defeat. There are still many bosses that we have yet to defeat, but my buddy and I are still way short of our full potential, so it's hard for me to say whether we'll ultimately find them to be impossible or not.

As far as the regular enemies go, most of them are pretty manageable for us, aside from when we encounter larger groups of them, in which case we tend to just run away. Right now, only the snowy mountains in the north seems to be an area of uncertainty for us (and we haven't even set foot on the volcano yet).

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It should be noted that Tencent acquires its 29% share by purchasing all shares from a capital investment company, and not from Funcom directly.
So Funcom basically earns nothing from this move, except it shows Tencent's faith in the company's assets and management, which may open new paths in doing business.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh there's plenty to do.

Firstly there's "The Journey", which is a series of 100 increasingly challenging objectives arranged into ten chapters. They start off really simple, like "Drink", "Eat", "Climb" and get increasingly challenging as you progress through them, with certain objectives requiring you to explore specific locations or defeat specific enemies/bosses. The objective descriptions are often very brief and don't necessarily detail exactly how to accomplish them, so you're expected to figure a lot of things out on your own (which is part of the fun).

Also worth noting that The Journey is also probably the closest thing Conan Exiles has to a story; the game even has an ending when you complete all the steps. Aside from that, there aren't really any cut scenes except for an intro, and only a handful of friendly NPC with any dialogue, as well as a few lorestones and notes that reveal some backstory to the game.

Secondly, the world has a ton of interesting locations, dungeons, bosses, and other surprises to be found. Exploration is definitely one of the highlights of the game for me. Playing on normal difficulty, it can get pretty intense when exploring a new cave or temple, having no idea whether you're prepared to face its challenges and knowing that you're at risk of losing everything you're carrying should something go wrong. On the other hand, it's pretty exhilarating when you stumble across a supply of raw materials that you haven't found yet anywhere else (assuming you're not using a guide of course).

Thirdly, there's the challenge of discovering how to most efficiently produce and manage the things you need. For example, it will feel super grindy when you first see what's required for crafting the strongest building pieces, but it becomes quite manageable later on once you start making breakthroughs on improving your efficiency and discovering better methods (I started playing in April and still making significant breakthroughs).

Finally, there's The Purge, which is a rare event where a bunch of random enemies will try to destroy your base and you need to defend your base against them. This is great for single player because it gives you a motivation to prepare your base for defense, which otherwise wouldn't be there in single player without The Purge.

Now... With all that said, the game also involves many hours of hitting rocks with a pick, and this is why I'm hesitant to recommend it as a single player game. It's fine if you've got a buddy or two to chat with, otherwise I think it might get a bit tedious. That said, there are also settings you can change to decrease the grind, but I'm not sure what kind of impact or side-effects this might have on the intended experience (for example, if you increase material gather rates, then the Purge might not be much of a challenge).
Wow this is a super detailed account of CE! Sounds up my alley. Thanks!

I think I'll get it. Found an even better deal on Fanatical.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

I thought the game was really bad when I played it too. Just one of many generic bad crafting games.

Nov 8, 2017
I thought the game was really bad when I played it too. Just one of many generic bad crafting games.
Would you mind sharing some examples of good crafting games? If Conan Exiles is really a bad game (and you're far from the only one to say that), then I'm really looking forward to seeing what a good example of the genre is like.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Would you mind sharing some examples of good crafting games? If Conan Exiles is really a bad game (and you're far from the only one to say that), then I'm really looking forward to seeing what a good example of the genre is like.
Nah I haven't tried enough of them to tell, really. I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, I just tried it because I got a code from a friend and we played it as a group of 5-6 people.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Age of Conan hadn't been abandoned. I loved that game and still think it has some of the best environments in an MMO.

I should almost download it now just to finally put the settings up super high and go exploring. I think I got to max level but I cannot recall it's been so long. Pretty sure I did.

Conan Exiles was fun but I think I needed to play coop and not online so I didn't have to worry about logging out for awhile and everything being gone.