Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
China's Tencent Holdings has been working to adapt acclaimed action role-playing console game "Elden Ring" into a mobile version, three people familiar with the matter said, as it searches for a new hit to refresh its ageing stock of games.
The world's largest gaming company by revenue acquired the licensing rights for the game by FromSoftware in 2022 and set up a team of a few dozen people to work on a prototype, the same year it bought a 16% stake in the Japanese game maker, the people said. But progress has been slow, they added.
While "Elden Ring" was designed as a premium game with a set price tag, Tencent wants to make it a free-to-play game with in-app purchases, similar to the hit game "Genshin Impact" developed by its Chinese rival miHoYo, the people said.
But the design of "Elden Ring", which focuses on a complete experience after a one-time purchase, is at odds with Tencent's planned model.

This what was said when Tencent bought 16% of From.
In addition to these purposes, for an increase of the number of users in the global market for game IP that FromSoftware creates and develops, FromSoftware decided to conduct the Third-Party Allotment to Sixjoy within the Tencent Group, which has strength in its capabilities to develop and deploy mobile games and other network technologies in the global market including China.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...nsole-game-elden-ring-sources-say-2024-02-06/

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
this does not sound appealing at all
can't wait, it's gonna be fun

giphy.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to hack up Elden Ring into a f2p model is hilarious. Lets see how that turns out (if it doesn't become vaporware).

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
There is no enemy (maybe the Royal Revenants?) or situation in Elden Ring that is scarier than this simple sentence.
"While "Elden Ring" was designed as a premium game with a set price tag, Tencent wants to make it a free-to-play game with in-app purchases"

4L0J.gif

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Millions of people play action games on mobile like say Genshin Impact, so I don't see why not this one.

May 24, 2021
"While "Elden Ring" was designed as a premium game with a set price tag, Tencent wants to make it a free-to-play game with in-app purchases"

57b6efd28d88b4c59586cd40294b506e.gif

Oct 25, 2017
A mobile PORT of elden ring you play with a bluetooth controller or something would be great.
Whatever the fuck tencent is putting together sounds supremely cursed.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Tencent got a stake in From now?

What don't they have their hands in?
They and Sony bought like a 30% stake in them like a year ago. From/Kadokawa are looking to expand From's self publishing capabilities and them two jumped on board.

As for you second question I just assume they have x% in everyone at this point, usually isn't a surprise when they do.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm morbidly curious to see how much they'll butcher the game.

Not enough to play it myself, but at least enough to spend two minutes browsing an early reaction thread.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't manage to make a Nier mobile game, there's no way they'll manage to make an Elden Ring one.
As someone who plays both Elden Ring and gachas, this sounds incredibly unappealing.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I hope I get the Malenia ashes in the upcoming pull!

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Fuck this idea, literally couldn't think of a worse combination.

Why must everything be an endless pool of draining your wallet with Tencent.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see how the inevitable online cgi ads expand Elden Ring's lore.

How does a lv. 1 Tarnished compare to a lv. 99 Tarnished?

Riding Torrent in a straight line through gates that give you +5 or x2 spirit ashes

Pull the pins to unlock the treasure chest without drowning your character in scarlet rot.

The possibilities are endless.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Has there ever been a watered-down traditional Souls-like for mobile? Like full, three-dimensional combat-focused, not some inspired "soulslike" roguelike or 2D game or whatever? Seems like something there'd be a dozen of but I can't think of any, granted I'm not much into gaming on my phone