Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hear all the action sequences were filmed in stop motion, and all film reels will be sent by carrier pigeons.

Oct 27, 2017
nah

x0kSz1a.gif

docking scene was good and score is iconic but that's it
I've only seen the movie once, but doesn't the ENTIRE team roll their eyes hard at her, in this moment? Isn't the point of that entire scene that she's cracking and losing her shit?

People always point it out as awful, but I always thought it was consistently cringy.

Now.... that entire 3rd act though? Trashhhhhh, imo.

I can't remember the last time I was really into a movie and then completely 180'd once the third act hit.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree if JDW was just any other black actor, but i feel like being Denzel Jr might make the peanut gallery bite their tongues on that one.

But this is all on the assumption that this movie bombs, which I have a hard time imagining it does.

If Dunkirk for as boring as it was, is considered a success then I know Tenet will do well.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nolan is a very rare field where he can write and direct a complex, original story that won't lead into sequels, prequels, spin-offs, and merchandising opportunities, and studios will still back the BRINKS truck to his door. His name is a brand in itself. "A Christopher Nolan film" is a declaration of Event status.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
If Dunkirk did 525m, Inception did 825m and Interstellar is at 675m...

I think we can say this movie is probably good for at least Interstellar's total. Which for a 200m budget and a hefty Nolan cut, is still probably just profitable, with the potential to do plenty more.

This is easily Nolan's most audience appealing film since TDKR (or Inception if we're looking at his original works) by the looks of things so far.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like Tenet has a lot of potential in terms of quality and box office. That clip they showed during Star Wars was really exciting.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Saw the prologue in front of IMAX 1917. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It was very loud, and the dialogue was hard to hear... but so cool. Very much wish I could see it again.

Oct 27, 2017
If Dunkirk did 525m, Inception did 825m and Interstellar is at 675m...

I think we can say this movie is probably good for at least Interstellar's total. Which for a 200m budget and a hefty Nolan cut, is still probably just profitable, with the potential to do plenty more.

This is easily Nolan's more audience appealing film since TDKR (or Inception if we're looking at his original works).
I think this can break out and do Inception numbers. Looks like it'll have more mass appeal than his last two films.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Saw the prologue in front of IMAX 1917. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It was very loud, and the dialogue was hard to hear... but so cool. Very much wish I could see it again.
Fuck so same sound issues as all his other movies?
I swear my theater watches of Nolan films are just for the visuals.
I don't actually "get" the movies till the Blu-ray with subtitles lol

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nolan has proven time and time again he can make box office hits not called The Dark Knight, so I'd say he's easily earned that kind of budget with WB.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The prologue did nothing for me at all, mind you nothing he made post inception has so maybe I am not in the Nolan business.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not even sure if you're meant completely to understand what's going on in the prologue tbh. There's terrorists and special forces and Americans posing as special forces, and secret key phrases, and people who aren't who they are meant to be. But you don't really ever know why any of this is happening. Apparently there's a bit where a bullet goes backwards in time but I didn't see it because I was so disoriented. But in like, a good way? It's very exhilarating.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The man churns out box office hits every single time. Inception is still a top 3 highest grossing completely original live action film (with Gravity and Avatar). It's something Denis will have to work towards with hoping Dune blows up.

Fincher's movies also make great profit.
Fincher?????
Um maybe as he keeps his budgets small, but he is not regarded as a box office king.
Dragon Tattoo was a big disappointment for Sony.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Yep, it's his style he likes at least one person you cannot fully decipher it would seem and some odd mixing choices.
He is also staunch 5.1 only has that is the most film can hold (Unless he brings back SDDS8)

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
All those practical effects are expensive (and the reason Nolan movies look better than 99% of action movies at the minute...)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Gone Girl was the 10th highest profiting movie of 2013 and was a romance-crime drama.

TSN also did great business too. Not many drama films out here grossing $300m+.

I remember it bombing but it did 230M on a 90M budget isn't as bad as I thought it did. The book was so huge WW I think people expected more, but it didn't do too bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen the movie once, but doesn't the ENTIRE team roll their eyes hard at her, in this moment? Isn't the point of that entire scene that she's cracking and losing her shit?

People always point it out as awful, but I always thought it was consistently cringy.

Now.... that entire 3rd act though? Trashhhhhh, imo.

I can't remember the last time I was really into a movie and then completely 180'd once the third act hit.
Yeah, this scene in particular is Brand getting dunked on. And really, is this such a terrible concept? That the connection a father and daughter have to each other is measurable or at least predictable to advanced interdimensional beings? Seems pretty tame to me.

Seeing Interstellar in 70MM IMAX opening weekend in NYC was by far the best movie going experience I've ever had, and those who didn't get to experience missed out on something special

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
True, but I don't know another filmmaker getting a billion dollar budget. That's crazy as shit.

Definitely and as a result I will be one of those people who will see whatever the fuck Avatar 2 is out of sheer bloody minded curiosity.

As much as I like to say people with limits make the best art, someone has to be the exception.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why some people seem surprised by this. Inception was a decade ago and that cost $160 million.

$200+ million seems to be pretty normal for huge tentpole blockbusters.