• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Protesters chanted "Blood on your hands" at Tennessee House Republicans on Tuesday after they passed a bill that would allow some teachers and staff to carry concealed handguns on public school grounds, and bar parents and other teachers from knowing who was armed.

The 68-28 vote in favor of the bill sent it to Republican Gov. Bill Lee for consideration. If he signs it into law, it would be the biggest expansion of gun access in the state since last year's deadly shooting at a private elementary school in Nashville.

Members of the public who oppose the bill harangued Republican lawmakers after the vote, leading House Speaker Cameron Sexton to order the galleries cleared.

Four House Republicans and all Democrats opposed the bill, which the state Senate previously passed. The measure would bar disclosing which employees are carrying guns beyond school administrators and police, including to students' parents and even other teachers. A principal, school district and law enforcement agency would have to agree to let staff carry guns.

apnews.com

Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow armed teachers, a year after deadly Nashville shooting

Tennessee Republican lawmakers have passed a bill that would let some teachers and staff carry concealed handguns on public school grounds.

The bill has seen a lot of pushback, rightfully so. Especially from Parent groups who hate the confidentially requirement.

Republicans rejected a series of Democratic amendments, including parental consent requirements, notification when someone is armed, and the school district assuming civil liability for any injury, damage or death due to staff carrying guns.

I'm not a parent, but I'd absolutely remove my kids from a school that had teachers or staff packing.

So basically, if this bill is passed as is, parents wouldn't know which teachers or staff are armed and couldn't sue if something goes wrong too! This is qualified immunity BS for K12 employees. It's dystopian.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So there was a school shooting and the answer they came up with was to put more guns in the schools. Not only that, they're going to put the guns in the hands of untrained civilians who are paid like crap and treated like crap.

What could go wrong right?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yup more guns has always fixed the problem I'm sure this will help.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So there was a school shooting and the answer they came up with was to put more guns in the schools. Not only that, they're going to put the guns in the hands of untrained civilians who are paid like crap and treated like crap.

Parents won't even be able know which teachers and staff choose to carry. Insane. At least parents know all cops carry. It's so crazy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

A kid stealing it and shooting half the class them themselves

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Gun ownership is disgusting. This is one of those shocking but not shocking headlines because it's par for the course for those with guns on the brain. Just throw more guns at the problem. That'll fix it.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Pass a bill allowing guns in congressional buildings, then. What's the worst that could happen.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember when I was young here in the Deep Red South the idea of letting teachers carry guns around was considered fucking insane.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
I had a teacher absolutely rage out on me for 30 minutes all because I was joking around after class with a girl I'd known since kindergarten. He threw everything off his desk while yelling at me then tossed a chair at me. He screamed at me that I'll be dead in a year if my attitude didn't change. If he had a gun I'd be dead.

I was generally a respectable student who stayed out of trouble.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
i believe they also added something that let rapists decide what to do with the baby if they get somebody pregnant. they are just firing on all cylinders.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So Billy gets in a heated argument with a teacher and throws a punch at him/her. The teacher can kill him and claim that they were afraid of said student stealing the weapon?

Also

America the land of the PTSD, where guns and killings flood the streets

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Damn we bout to have hella cases of castle doctrine type shit when obviously a teacher was fearing for their life because a black kid yelled at them.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Parents won't even be able know which teachers and staff choose to carry. Insane. At least parents know all cops carry. It's so crazy.
From the people who cry about "pArEnTaL rIgHtS" and whine about how parents aren't allowed to have a day in their children's education. But they're fine with keeping the identities of who is carrying a firearm secret from parents. Absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, I know that "parent rights" and all of that is actually just code for "You shouldn't be able to enforce mask mandates," "Don't talk to my kid about anything related to the LGBT," and "Let's funnel education money into segregation academies that we have financial ties to."

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking failures.

I'm sorry for the folks in TN who aren't rabid fucking idiots like some of these people

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
If you're a teacher, and you're OK with the idea that one day you may be asked to shoot and kill one of your students, and can follow through with that, you absolutely need to be in another profession.

I'm almost definitely thinking in an ideal world here, but I'd hope an adult wouldn't be capable of killing a child who they most likely see and interact with multiple times per week. Especially in the role as an educator, with all the qualities that job needs. Speaking as someone who isn't a teacher, but works in higher education, here.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ….cant wait for all the "teacher shoots student", " teacher kills themselves", "student steals teachers gun and shoots/kills x amount of people" news lines that'll eventually come up….sigh

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just a full shootout in the classroom. Trigger happy teachers. Gonna be great. Students stealing their teacher's guns will also be a thing. If there is one thing I remember when I was in school, it was that the shitty students would find ways to pick on teachers and fuck with their shit if the class didn't like them.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
I had a teacher absolutely rage out on me for 30 minutes all because I was joking around after class with a girl I'd known since kindergarten. He threw everything off his desk while yelling at me then tossed a chair at me. He screamed at me that I'll be dead in a year if my attitude didn't change. If he had a gun I'd be dead.

I was generally a respectable student who stayed out of trouble.

Yep, and you'd better believe he'd be sobbing in the corner when police arrived, claiming it was self defense when you leaped over his desk and tried to grab his gun. Think of all those students you would have killed? Why, he's practically a hero!

This story is coming soon.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
The republican super majority in this state's legislature incessantly whines about the indoctrination of students in public schools and the woke teachers destroying the fabric of society. Their solution is to inject guns into every classroom. Dead kids, dead liberals, dead women, is all part of the elevation of Guns Over Everything. Its a shithole state one step below the taliban.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If more guns made us safer we'd live in the safest country in the world, but we don't (far from it in fact). The gun culture freaks in this country are fucked in the head.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This bill terrifies me. I am a former educator that worked in Nashville and was pretty savagely assaulted by a student ( had to go to the hospital, was on injured on duty leave for a week, had multiple fractured ribs)my 2nd year teaching. At no point did I fear for my life but I can definitely see other teachers having no qualms with pulling out a gun and shooting a student in that situation. It was not great, but I wasn't going to DIE in that situation. I talked to one of my friends who is an EL coach and she is mortified at the prospect. It's crazy that they think THIS is the solution versus common sense gun laws.

This is also stupid because we have multiple examples of armed adults on sight when things go left at a school and they still are ineffective.

Jan 7, 2021
Will schools who participate in this 'safety' program be held accountable if a teacher misplaces the gun and it's found by a student and things happen ? What if a teacher is overpowered and the gun is taken from them? Or if they get careless and discharge it?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm guessing asshole football coach/history teacher pulls a gun on an unruly student to "teach them a lesson" by end of the year.
Oh god, my freshman pre-algebra teacher was a football couch and threatened violence with a pipe, I didn't get it but told my folks and other kids did too and the guy got fired so hard. I was kinda unaware of that stuff at that time. Was in Cali tho.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Stand and Deliver a warning shot before opening fire.

This is the worst idea ever. It's far more likely that students are going to find these guns in the back of a classroom, or forgotten in a bathroom. But I guess it makes sense if you're a Republican that thinks education is bad, and kids are better off in the factories.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

This is the worst idea ever. It's far more likely that students are going to find these guns in the back of a classroom, or forgotten in a bathroom. But I guess it makes sense if you're a Republican that thinks education is bad, and kids are better off in the factories.
The Republican idea is that it'll be on their hip 24-7 and hidden by their shirt and ready to be pulled out at a moments notice.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
So rather than eliminating guns, the TN Republicans would rather let a workplace that is tremendously underpaid and overstressed be allowed to bring guns on campus.

This will go from school shootings to workplace shootings when an armed teacher reaches their breaking point and shoots students and their fellow teachers like many in this thread have said. This will not prevent a mass shooting from occurring. The whole "good guy with a gun" myth propagated by the NRA has been disproven time and time again. Of course the Tennessee House is bought and paid for by the NRA.

If I lived in Tennessee and had children in Tennessee, I'd pull them out of public schools or move to another state.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

I hadn't thought about this, but this could definitely happen. I work for a bank. I was told that we had an incident with one of our armored carriers several years ago. During a pickup at a branch, one of the guards had to use the restroom. Hey, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. So, he went in, and did his business.

....It wasn't until he got back in the truck that he realized he left his gun in the bathroom.

It was probably unattended in there for about a minute at most. But, quite a lot could have happened in that 1 minute, especially in a crowded school.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
What was the name of that movie where Samuel L Jackson played an inner city teacher who gets a gun to kill the gang member students causing trouble…?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's 99.9% guaranteed that a teacher or a kid will use this gun one day to kill someone else.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently watched Deadwood

they might as well get Jane and Ms Stubbs to stand watch

Mar 12, 2024
So rather than eliminating guns, the TN Republicans would rather let a workplace that is tremendously underpaid and overstressed be allowed to bring guns on campus.

This will go from school shootings to workplace shootings when an armed teacher reaches their breaking point and shoots students and their fellow teachers like many in this thread have said.

Part of me thinks this is intentional to further sow distrust in public education when this inevitably happens.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What's crazy is that shooting happened at a private school. But it was used to erode confidence in public schools, which is the GOP playbook.