• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Going against the grain, I understand the issues with arming teachers but its a hell of a lot better than being cornered in a classroom totally defenseless.
What was the name of that movie where Samuel L Jackson played an inner city teacher who gets a gun to kill the gang member students causing trouble…?
187?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Going against the grain, I understand the issues with arming teachers but its a hell of a lot better than being cornered in a classroom totally defenseless.

187?
The problem is that the question is how many of the situations where it helps will outweigh the situations where it hurts. Even leaving aside the obvious cases where a teacher might lose temper/the gun itself or misread a situation and pull it out, I wonder about indirect effects as it's another thing someone's got to have a handle on in the day and a drain on attention that could be going towards a lesson plan.

Dec 30, 2020
Oh good, so now there will be more readily accessible loaded guns in schools. I see absolutely no problems with-

LOAD OF FUCKING MORONS. Christ. What in the everloving fuck is wrong with this shitheads? How do they get out of the house without swallowing their own shoes?!

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
0*HplC_Fdv4vg41nz9.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

187?
Why does it seem only the US has problems with school shootings, tho?

They've been endemic since Columbine.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Trained cops can't shoot their guns expertly. They expect teachers to?

From what I understand with cops the issue is lack of range time. It's also expensive.
This is one of the biggest logistical issues I always come back around to whenever I've talked to anyone who supports teachers carrying guns. Being accurate with a firearm is not an easy thing even in the most ideal circumstances, much less in an actual firefight.

For such a gun-obssesed country as America is, we're also weirdly blinkered when it comes to what their realities are. "Good guy with a gun who always hits the bad guy and nobody else." It's like John Wayne movies totally overrides our perception of this thing we've enshrined as an unnadsailable right.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the biggest logistical issues I always come back around to whenever I've talked to anyone who supports teachers carrying guns. Being accurate with a firearm is not an easy thing even in the most ideal circumstances, much less in an actual firefight.

For such a gun-obssesed country as America is, we're also weirdly blinkered when it comes to what their realities are. "Good guy with a gun who always hits the bad guy and nobody else." It's like John Wayne movies totally overrides our perception of this thing we've enshrined as an unnadsailable right.
Yeah, John Wayne, Dirty Harry, etc. All those urban decay vigilante movies really affected the American psyche.

Also, look at the countless mass shootings we've had since Columbine, has a "good with a gun" abated any of them?

Heck, Ulvalde had cops! And they were cowards.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows the way to curb violence is to have more weapons. I'm just glad they'll be in an environment where teenagers will be able to find/steal them.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
Ah yes the perfect answer to bad guys with guns are more good guys with guns. As always just throw more guns to answer it wow. Fuck that confidentiality too. That's just frightening. Wish all these guns could just poof

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this also a system where teachers literally cant raise a hand to even defend themselves in a fistfight if a student jumps them? Be curious to see where people find lines of protecting their weapon if things come down to that being grabbed

Feb 9, 2018
Ridiculous. This is like trying to prevent traffic deaths by increasing speed limits and legalizing drunk driving. Republicans live in a fantasy world where the solution to gun violence is more guns, as if an omnipresent threat of death will deter crime. Well, the U.S. is already the most heavily-armed civilian populace on Earth, yet we have by far the highest amount of violent crime and esp. gun violence in the developed world. Not exactly working out for us, is it? Of course, it's not like the GOP actually care about American lives. Many tens of thousands of preventable deaths happen every year from guns and other causes that are endemic in the U.S., yet they do nothing and say little besides "thoughts and prayers." They do care about getting those checks from the gun lobby, though. Corporate donors are why nothing gets done about the countless preventable deaths in this country. Also, guns are integral to right-wing propaganda. Gotta keep their audience in constant fear of some nefarious "other" coming for them and their families.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Some teacher is going to kill a kid at the slightest sign of an altercation and get patted on the back by cops about how they had no choice because kids are so bad and schools are so dangerous now. This fucking country is terminally ill.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
This is also the state that believes they're putting vaccines in lettuce and banned it.

www.wate.com

Tennessee ‘vaccine lettuce’ bill heads to Gov. Bill Lee’s desk

A bill that would prohibit vaccines to be put on food has passed the Senate and will be sent to Governor Bill Lee for his signature.

And banned chentrails.

www.bbc.co.uk

Tennessee passes 'chemtrail' bill banning airborne chemicals

Critics say it was inspired by unsubstantiated conspiracy theories that planes are spraying poison.

You can't expect much from them.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
This is also the state that believes they're putting vaccines in lettuce and banned it.

www.wate.com

A bill that would prohibit vaccines to be put on food has passed the Senate and will be sent to Governor Bill Lee for his signature.

And banned chentrails.

www.bbc.co.uk

Critics say it was inspired by unsubstantiated conspiracy theories that planes are spraying poison.

Damn, no more horse paste sandwiches?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
As a school administrator, my wife has taken on kids with everything from bats, stools, pieces of glass, and knives.

She has had her nails broken when her hand was slammed in the window, been punched, bit and more.

Yet she has successfully subdued kids (some 150-200lbs) without a weapon.

There are teachers/administrators that are far braver than the police when it comes to critical situations. The majority do NOT want guns...and kids that lash out could EASILY take their gun and shoot people.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York

www.wate.com

And banned chentrails.

www.bbc.co.uk

Holy hell, what a clown show. Imagine being so divorced from reality that you vote for the people who enact this nonsense instead of anything that might actually improve your life in some way.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
How much safer would we be if every inch of America was covered with guns? We are slowly getting there but once we do it's going to be nothing but peace.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So fucking stupid and I seriously hope they take all the measures in the world to keep them out of reach of the students. But you know what? Fuck it. At least they're doing SOMETHING.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Then when a teacher shoots someone, we can arm the students.

So fucking stupid and I seriously hope they take all the measures in the world to keep them out of reach of the students. But you know what? Fuck it. At least they're doing SOMETHING.

Are they though? The presence of guns tends to make people less safe overall according to all of the information I've ever heard.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure some of my teachers would joke about shooting the problematic kids if they could, back in the day

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Some teacher is going to kill a kid at the slightest sign of an altercation and get patted on the back by cops about how they had no choice because kids are so bad and schools are so dangerous now. This fucking country is terminally ill.
They will get away with it and parents won't be able to sue for wrongful death according this law.

I'm not a lawyer, so not sure how that stands to legal challenge, but the law is ridiculous.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of Zapp Brannigans if Zapp Brannigan were actually aware of how damaging his actions were.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
It's a depressing state to live in. There are a lot of progressives trapped here. There are some glimmers of hope, last week we overwhelming voted to unionize at the VW plant and stopped our Govenor's plans to wreck the public schools with his horrible voucher plan

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
If it decreases school shootings and violence, im all for it.

But yeah, we know how this is gonna end up. Gun-slinging lonestar ass wannabes gonna turn the classrooms into a fearful learning environment. Guns give the wrong people a sense of power.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Giving access to guns to a group of people who are routinely treated like shit by parents and children, are exhausted because they have to do extra work to get by, and way overworked because of budget cuts, seems like a great idea.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Then when a teacher shoots someone, we can arm the students.

Are they though? The presence of guns tends to make people less safe overall according to all of the information I've ever heard.
I get it and I'm against this but it's something. If this stops even one person then that's a few potential lives saved. I think it's stupid. I truly do. But it's something. We have done absolutely nothing so far.

It's fucking grim to think about, but nothing will change until it happens to those that are in a position to make that change happen.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
We all know that the one thing school shooters fear is the threat of getting shot. That's why they usually shoot themselves after. They're so afraid someone might shoot them.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I get it and I'm against this but it's something. If this stops even one person then that's a few potential lives saved. I think it's stupid. I truly do. But it's something. We have done absolutely nothing so far.

It's fucking grim to think about, but nothing will change until it happens to those that are in a position to make that change happen.
A good guy with a gun is a fantasy and this is worse than doing nothing and actively makes the situation worse.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
meanwhile in Texas:
wtaw.com

Texas A&M Professor On Paid Leave Following His Arrest For Unlawful Carrying A Gun On University Property - WTAW | 1620AM & 94.5FM

A Texas A&M professor is on paid administrative leave following his arrest on a charge of unlawful carrying of a gun on university property. 66 year old Francis Quek of Bryan was arrested March 19th [Read More...]

Dr. Quek, who is a professor in the school of education, is accused in the A&M police (UPD) arrest report of "dry firing" his handgun in a faculty and staff lounge inside the Langford architecture building-A.

The arrest report says while Quek had a license to carry a handgun, the handgun was not concealed and it was not in a shoulder or belt holster.

A UPD officer responded to the report of a witness seeing Quek point a handgun at metallic stars on a wall inside the lounge. The witness told the officer that Quek showed her there was a plastic training bullet inside the chamber of the gun. The witness also told the officer that Quek asked her to not tell anyone what she had seen.

A UPD spokesman tells WTAW News that Quek was found inside his office. Quek told the officer who visited with the witness, according to the arrest report, that he normally uses the lounge to practice with his handgun and that he had not had any problems in the past with people walking into the lounge.

Quek told the officer that he was "dry firing" his gun towards the metallic stars on the wall to practice his trigger control.

The officer took the gun, which had a "red snap cap" in the chamber, and a fully loaded magazine inserted in the firearm.

just absolute bizarro world

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York

It's far, far more likely that these guns are used by teachers or students to cause more shooting deaths, as opposed to the ludicrous good-guy-with-a-gun fantasy.

So no, it's not "something" and it's harmful to frame it that way. This is like watching someone pour gasoline on a fire and applauding them for doing something.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
As a former 911 dispatcher I can tell you that police officers (at least ones I worked with) were just as scared of a bad guy with a gun as a good guy with a gun trying to stop the commission of a crime.

I've seen scenarios here where people have mentioned the firearm being stolen but I imagine that's low on the list of concerns. Imagine the next shooting, an untrained armed teacher not knowing who the shooter is, sees a kid running trying to escape and caps them thinking they're the gunman.

Or even worse an on edge over worked teacher hearing someone drop a book in the hallway, running out and unloading on them thinking it was a gunshot.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's far, far more likely that these guns are used by teachers or students to cause more shooting deaths, as opposed to the ludicrous good-guy-with-a-gun fantasy.

So no, it's not "something" and it's harmful to frame it that way. This is like watching someone pour gasoline on a fire and applauding them for doing something.
While I side with your position, I disagree with your argument. Especially the silly gasoline analogy.