• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trans, but I'm part of the LGTBQ* community and used to work voluntarily for an NGO that organises school workshops to teach young kids about LGBTQ*. Transphobia in our society was a big part of these workshops. Often we would ask the kids to empathise with transgender people in different situations, so that they could truly understand how deep transphobia is integrated in our society and mindset.

Growing up JKR used to be my hero. In fact there is a high chance I wouldn't be here anymore without Harry Potter. The book series was at times the only anchor still connecting me to the world, when everything else was pitch black. I can't possibly express how disappointed and hurt I am reading those and previous comments from her. It's not just the books, I used to like her so much as a person as well from the interviews I've read and documentaries I've seen. I suppose it'y my fault for idolising her as much as I did.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I've sent her a three-part thread on Twitter. I have no expectations of a response though, she seems to have gone into hiding again as she does whenever people pull her up on this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great statement, especially for the LGBT fans. Radcliffe is indeed rad.

"Transgender women are women...Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I.

It's clear that we need to do more to support transgender and non-binary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm.

To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you.

If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, non-binary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life - then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred.

And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much."

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you.

If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, non-binary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life - then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred.

And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much."
This is beautifully said.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My wife is upset because her friend doesn't see the problem with JKs tweets. But she's not confident trying to explain why they are bad.

Is there a good video summary that breaks down why it's problematic? Preferably one that's not from an obvious left leaning site like Vox. (Her friend would be wary of that)

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is upset because her friend doesn't see the problem with JKs tweets. But she's not confident trying to explain why they are bad.

Is there a good video summary that breaks down why it's problematic? Preferably one that's not from an obvious left leaning site like Vox. (Her friend would be wary of that)
This twitter thread shows how Rowling clearly distinguishes sex and gender:
Here's a pretty great illustration of why Rowling is entirely wrong, using her own work:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oof jesus. Not surprised this is the kind of shit that she puts in her Robert Galbraith novels:

In the scene, a trans woman, Pippa, follows and tries to stab the protagonist, Cormoran Strike, before getting trapped in Strike's office. After demanding Pippa's ID, her trans status is revealed and her visible Adam's apple is noted, while it's noted that her hands were jammed in her pockets. Pippa tries several times to escape the office before Strike finally says, "'If you go for that door one more time I'm calling the police and I'll testify and be glad to watch you go down for attempted murder. And it won't be fun for you Pippa,' he added. 'Not pre-op.'"
www.vice.com

JK Rowling's Transphobia Wasn't Hard to Find, She Wrote a Book About It

It's not just her blatant transphobia on Twitter. As the trans community has been saying for years, Rowling's transphobia is obvious in her writing, too.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
That's pretty good.

But I guess she's more wondering how she can communicate how what JK said hurts Trans people. Her friend fell for the "I'm on your side, I have Trans friends etc"

She could try telling her that trans people are saying that it hurts us, and cis allies should believe us - cis people don't get to decide what's okay to say about trans people. Here's a video by the trans youtuber Kat Blaque that discusses JK's tweets, that might help you articulate why it's harmful.

I don't think anyone who "doesn't see what's wrong with her comments" is actually interested in changing their mind, though. People want to hold on to the transphobic viewpoints that they're used to, while still feeling like they're progressive and sensible. It's often not worth engaging.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
She could try telling her that trans people are saying that it hurts us, and cis allies should believe us - cis people don't get to decide what's okay to say about trans people. Here's a video by the trans youtuber Kat Blaque that discusses JK's tweets, that might help you articulate why it's harmful.

I don't think anyone who "doesn't see what's wrong with her comments" is actually interested in changing their mind, though. People want to hold on to the transphobic viewpoints that they're used to, while still feeling like they're progressive and sensible. It's often not worth engaging.

Thanks for all this. :)

Watched the video together with my wife. She hates confrontation and feels she's bad at it but also feels she can't stand by when people say disparaging things about others.

So videos like that help to give her some education she can use.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a pretty great illustration of why Rowling is entirely wrong, using her own work:

In b4 Rowling posts interesting new HP facts about how the polymorph juice works and how it doesn't affect genitals (except boobs maybe disappear because otherwise it'd be too obvious if a woman has drunk it, but no additional penises appear, that's for sure!)

Oct 28, 2017

This is great.

I never thought about polyjuice potion affecting genitals. (I mean it's a YA series where nothing past a kiss happens.) But in the real world people would absolutely use it for weird sex. I guess there's lots of fanfic about it already.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Thanks for all this. :)

Watched the video together with my wife. She hates confrontation and feels she's bad at it but also feels she can't stand by when people say disparaging things about others.

So videos like that help to give her some education she can use.

No worries! This video by Jammidodger (a trans guy) also discusses the tweets, and I feel like it's a little more of a trans 101-style explanation, which is probably closer to what your wife or her friend may be looking for. Though I understand if watching two videos is a lot of energy to expend on JK Rowling's dumb transphobic tweets, haha.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is really horrible to be honest. How many trans women/men grew up fascinated by Hogwarts, idolising JK? Maybe even seeing the magic of that setting as a way of escaping the difficulties of their identity struggle?

And then the person responsible for that good vibe comes out and ruins it all by being an utter turd of a person. So sad. She has a responsibility of fans to all colours, creeds, and orientations, and she's failed what is probably a huge portion of those fans. Shame on her.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And she´s back with more bullshit

Just paragraph after paragraph of discredited TERF and transphobic nonsense. It would take hours to explain why almost every word she wrote here is wrong. But since she also officially self-identifies as "gender critical" (i.e. a TERF) in the last paragraph I guess we can finally put this debate to rest.

She's totally gone.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Even this white billionaire is feeling the heat. I was predicting she was just going to ignore it and pretend no one batted an eye about her bullshit, glad it's not the case.

Also I haven't read it yet, scrolled to the bottom to see how long it was, and she ended it with a plea for empathy... The same empathy she and her ilk lack for others. Selfawarewolves

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
So sad she keeps going on and on and on with her shit. Fuck her. I wish I could keep HP separate but it's really making me reconsider ever putting any money towards future games, movies, products, whatever. She's so proud of her trash views and seemingly idolizes trans/homophobes so who knows what kind of damage she could be doing to the community with her millions of pounds.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm reading it and she mentions these things she hears about but ever sources anything, really. You can't write some essay to defend your shit views and just conveniently avoid showing any sources.

OH MY GOD THEN SHE MENTIONS MAYBE IF SHE WERE BORN 30 YEARS LATER MAYBE SHE WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED TRANSITIONING. Jesus this isn't some thing that just started happening because younger generations decided it was a trend.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rowling's response is exactly what I expected - self-pitying crap by a blinkered bigot desperate to justify her hatred as heroism.

There's no arguing with her, or any TERF, really. They consider opposition to be victimisation and wallow in it.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I really admire her work, but man she's stupid. If you can't change your mind when presented with scientific facts, you're an idiot and that's that.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017

Won't TERFs just take this in the other direction? The reason Hermione is still called by feminine pronouns is because she was born a woman, regardless of her current status under the effects of the potion. Thus showing that regardless of what her physical characteristics are at the moment, she's clearly a woman who's just pretending to be a man?

I mean, this definitely derails the whole sex = this immutable thing that everything else is based on and the mensuration rhetoric JK was running with, but let's be real, TERFs aren't exactly known for following their own logic.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I think the part I find most sickening about this is that she 100% views herself as a victim and a martyr here.

Even from an entirely cynical perspective, she couldn't even fake remorse and stop talking, even if just to mitigate the obvious damage this is doing to her brand and her legacy. Because she honestly feels like she is doing the the right thing.

It's revolting.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
God. She's absolutely vile. She can go fuck herself.

I can't believe TERFs see themselves as victims when they actively oppress another minority. It's the most frustrating shit ever.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Some parts of that essay don't even make sense to me. She seems to acknowledge trans women as women, relates to their experience as women who have to live in fear of male violence, she talks about a friende whose a trans woman that she calls her by female pronouns and basically says that she thinks of her basically as a woman....

So are trans women women in your mind or not, Jo?

Deleted member 20850

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It always makes me angry when TERFs like her argue they are not trans exclusionary because they accept trans men as women...

Status
Not open for further replies.