• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PAY-Edward-Furlong.jpg

"John Connor... it is time..."
If they had wanted him I'm sure Schwarzenegger could've kicked his ass into shape.

Feb 10, 2018
I enjoyed some parts of Genisys, but John conor being a terminator hybrid was silly and the whole plot poorly written.
At least rise of the machines had a more straightforward plot.

This one has a better chance in being rather good with Camerons supervision.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same as the Alien movies, only the first two were good. I've given up on any more being good.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cameron is supervising the entire thing. This is it. This is what we have been waiting for. This SHOULD be good. If not, based James has failed us and the franchise is finally, officially dead.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn, there's retconning your movies via the story (eg X-Men after DofP) and then there's this.

They might have well made this announcement by lighting a pile of T3, Salvation, and Genisys DVDs on fire.

Actually, they should have done that, then maybe I'd have a modicum of interest.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'd be ok with a total reboot of the series, but they feel compelled to keep shoehorning Arnold's wrinkly old ass in. Hopefully, he's just in the background eating at a restaurant for 3 seconds or something.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let it end gracefully and stop playing with this dead franchise.

The films from the 3rd one onwards always tried to be Hollywood blockbusters with flashy effects and no substance while the original 2 actually had substance.

Oct 26, 2017
Why not have John be out-of-his-look and a bit druggy. Never being sure of if you saved the future or if another terminator will be sent back to kill you or your loved ones might make you go a bit mental. Just let Furlong loose some weight and force him to act as good as he did in American History X.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think really the only thing to do with it is give it to a horror director, completely recast everything, don't try and recreate any of the characters but get back to the concept of a killer robot hunting somebody down. There's plenty of room for a sequel/reboot of the original Terminator movie. The only thing you should really keep is the theme song, because it's possibly the best scifi movie theme song ever. Crazy that none of the bad movies even managed to keep that while hanging on to all this other messy bullshit.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Not expecting much. Like all the others, if it sucks, we'll always have the originals.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Cameron is involved has me cautiously optimistic. Tim Miller is dope too. Gotta love how they're just throwing out everything after T2.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for more Terminator Arnie. Even Genisys wasn't that bad on the second viewing thanks to him.

Oct 26, 2017
I think really the only thing to do with it is give it to a horror director, completely recast everything, don't try and recreate any of the characters but get back to the concept of a killer robot hunting somebody down. There's plenty of room for a sequel/reboot of the original Terminator movie. The only thing you should really keep is the theme song, because it's possibly the best scifi movie theme song ever. Crazy that none of the bad movies even managed to keep that while hanging on to all this other messy bullshit.

I will never understand people arguing for reboots. That is like poor people voting for republicans.

Giving it to a "horror director" feels like a sane choice though.

I feel making it with the intention of being THIS YEARS BIGGEST SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER! is kind of risky, it haven't paid off of for the films post Cameron. Starting up something smaller and with some R-rates cred could be a smart move. Then build it bigger from there.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Not sure how to feel about this. FWIW, I enjoyed Genisys, but the timeline/timelines is/are beyond fucked at this point. Even T2 generated issues.

Maybe they can go in a completely different direction - Set in the future, Judgement day didn't happen, rogue starship/spacestation AI, Terminators in space ;) Horrible, probably, but different in a System Shock the movie kind of way.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will never understand people arguing for reboots. That is like poor people voting for republicans.

Giving it to a "horror director" feels like a sane choice though.

I feel making it with the intention of being THIS YEARS BIGGEST SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER! is kind of risky, it haven't paid off of for the films post Cameron. Starting up something smaller and with some R-rates cred could be a smart move. Then build it bigger from there.

yeah man that's all i meant by reboot - basically what you're suggesting too. break it down, keep it simple, and maybe go from there rather than attempt to make a blockbuster.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
And the world collectively shrugged it's shoulders, for like the third time, at hearing of another Terminator film.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to give credit where it's due i think the problem with newer movies is it shrugged off sarah conner's story arc, even Genisys despite her being the main character she was miscast and just "there". so this perks my ears a little

but perhaps i should heed the sage words of george w. bush... you fool me once, you fool me. you fool me twice you don't fool me again

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
The notion of this series being allowed to end and bow out gracefully ended the second Terminator 3 was made and turned out to be awful.

And now I'm convinced that after Genisys, there is perhaps no lower the series can sink when it comes to quality. Keep making them. I'm sure at SOME point maybe they'll come up with something that's at least decent.

You know what could work? Cut back on the budget. Make a smaller horror/scifi film ala the first. Do something a little more narrow in scope instead of these giant explosion movies. Maybe that's the path to making a decent one of these.