• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where does this teaser trailer leave your hype level?

• 5 - I'm all in!

Votes: 143 10.3%
  • 4 - Feeling optimistic now.

Votes: 252 18.1%
  • 3 - Still a bit uncertain.

Votes: 334 24.0%
  • 2 - Not very convincing.

Votes: 443 31.8%
  • 1 - Later, dickwad.

Votes: 221 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Fucking hell, just reboot this shit already. Arnold, Sarah Connor, John Connor - get rid of them all. Make a small scale cyber horror. It's not hard.
I agree that a hard reboot is the only sensible thing to do. Instead we have senior citizen Hamilton and Arnie fighting a cartoon. The fact that Cameron signed off on this has me a little worried for Avatar 2... maybe he's lost his mind.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Yep

Yeah, one teaser trailer and people jump the gun
A trailer that, by design, is supposed to generate interest and make the movie look good. That's its whole reason for existing.

What are we supposed to infer about the movie when it can't manage that? Assume it's going to be better than it looks?

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Because they haven't been picking directors who have any sense of style to do these things. Remember the great visuals of Deadpool? Yeah, neither do I.
Which is funny after reasling that Iconic cold blue lighting style in the first movie coming from normal street lights.

From 3.13

Funny thing is the franchise could be succesful with a modest budget and a return to its roots,why studios throw 150+million i will never understand,at this point the franchise just doesnt have the appeal for blockbuster status.

And movies was made with 6 milion budget where Cameron had to film everything with a penny, the iconic scene in club is filmed in the club that Cameron bulid since its was cheaper to build a club then rent ione

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DtlsbAC.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Why is the photography so generic? Why do they think obvious digital stunt doubles filmed in slo-mo is impressive? What the fuck is the plot? This was supposed to be the big return of the franchise and the best you can do is cut together a bunch of weightless action scenes with no context set to a garbage cover song? Fuck You

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought that Genisys was a good attempt to do something kind of unique. You can tell there was a pretty clear vision behind it, and Arnold gave a fairly great performance.

But the two leads were horribly miscast, and the overall experiment was what I would call unsuccessful to be generous. But at least that was interesting, this just looks really boring.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
looked better than expected, but a little too over the top. we'll see. cautiously, against all reason, optimistic

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Um, I'm not sold at all. I don't know what was going on in that plane scene but that looked 10x more ridiculous than anything in T3 or Genisys. Is a grounded, serious sequel to T2 too much to ask for?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer was really, really bad. Bad effects, bad casting, that dumb-ass trend of using slow music for action movies and it looks to be taking itself way too seriously.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks nothing like T2 to more, looks more like Geneysis/Salvation.

Especially in terms of visuals/action, I mean where's the set pieces and thrills?

it also doesn't help that it seems to be using Heavy CGI effects (like complete CGI bodies, IE the guy standing on the truck and Mackenzie Davis jumping), with T2 they used a ton of practical effects throughout (that's why it still looks so great today).

Then you have the plot, which looks like the same basic plot they've used again and again. Do they not understand if they want to do this plot you NEED to give us the real John Connor back (Edward Furlong) and make it an actual continuation of that plot from T2. Have John be older, make it feel like a natural continuation of that timeline.

Last edited:

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I'm currently at 2 via the poll.

I love the Terminator franchise but the 4th and 5th movies were not very good. I hold little hope for this one.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep

Yeah, one teaser trailer and people jump the gun

There's a host of good reasons to think this is going to suck, including a lengthy parade of middling sequels and the fact that this film is still trying to tie back in with the original films.

The onus is on the studio to prove there's some life left in this franchise and that trailer wasn't it.

Maybe the next one will be better.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
There are just a lot of barriers put between the film and the viewer that damage the authenticity of the world they're trying to portray, which is typical of modern blockbusters.

Unnecessary CGI body doubles: On a subconscious level you recognise that what you're watching isn't in camera and doesn't look real. I'm not disparaging the work of VFX artists - they are amazing - but when they're used for lingering shots and the same action could be done with real people, the filmmakers are sabotaging the film's believability. There's a reason Fury Road was celebrated for putting real humans in perilous situations to achieve its action scenes.

Slow motion during action scenes: This highlights the artificiality of the film. Slow motion worked incredibly well in The Matrix, because it gelled with the diegesis of the movie. It was an artificial world. For something more documentarian, where a camera is meant to be an unobtrusive fly on the wall, all slow motion does is say to the audience that this is a trick, an effect. Granted, there was slow motion in T2 when the protagonists encounter the Terminator, but this was done to emulate the phenomenon of "events unfolding in slow motion", to convey their fear.

Ever more elaborate Terminators: Since T2, the practice of putting a few twists on the T-1000 and introducing yet another hybrid has always just come across as gimmickry. The T-1000 was a landmark for visual effects and his abilities literally couldn't have been filmed in 1984. He was surprising and terrifying. Today, the liquid metal/shapeshifting effect is very familiar and no longer that impressive. Lingering on these shapeshifting shots just serves to highlight the artificiality of the situation. A lumbering, unfeeling man with blood squibs would be scarier than seeing an elaborate CGI shot. At least your brain would acknowledge it as realistic and horrifying.

The Dark Fate of unlucky characters: Most successful films probably have one good sequel opportunity while maintaining the fictional world's believability, two at a push. The longer a franchise persists, especially involving the same principal actors, the more the events of the latest film stretch credulity. How many times can the fate of the world fall to this person? The Alien movies fell victim to this too, with Ripley's ascension from normal scientist to...badass clone. Movies like Mission Impossible and Bond just about get away with it because of the heightened unreality of their fictional universes.

Ever escalating stakes and setpieces: The further we've moved away from the small scale, grimy horror of T1, the more outlandish and unbelievable the stakes and setpieces have become. The climax of T1 involved navigated a factory. Here, we see our principle characters involved in a ridiculous, CGI laden spectacle on a plane, no doubt dodging all sorts of health hazards and surviving. And this probably isn't even the film's climax.

In conclusion, I don't know what I was expecting. I held out some hope based on that Q&A Miller and Cameron did a while back, assuring us that this would wash away the bad taste of the post-T2 films. Nope. They don't know what the fuck they're doing with this property.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have two options with this IP:

Reboot the entire franchise with new actors

OR

Let it fucking die.

This not only looks middling but the attempt to make this part of some scattered, schizophrenic timeline is embarrassing at this point.

I'm not convinced we're even getting an actual plot but rather somebody pitched the idea of bringing Sarah Conner back (Even though T3 already established her death off screen) in hopes that would be enough to sell this venture.

Genisys didn't even break 100 million here in the U.S. and I don't expect this to do much better.

Oct 31, 2017
The trailer makes it look like virtually any other modern, popcorn action movie which is kind of disappointing.

The Halloween retcon was actually pretty amazing I thought and I've been cautiously optimistic about this too, but unlike Halloween 2018's trailers, this made me temper my expectations more.

I don't think it'll get anywhere close to the original two films, the look and tone of this trailer alone makes me think this, but it probably has a decent chance of being better than all of the other Terminator films (I didn't see Genysis or however you spell it).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow looks like even more of a parody than the last movie.

Mackenzie Davis is the only reason I'm still interested.

Jul 18, 2018
According to people that went to Cinema Con... The footage shown was actually good. Maybe this is one of those cases of shitty trailer but a good movie

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks hella bland, should've just stopped at T3 which was a fun movie with a great ending (oh yes it was).

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the verge of laughing in a few moments. The trailer played a like a parody of a movie.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is funny because this entirely confirms the 4chan leak that the defenders of this movie claimed was fake.

Killing John Connor makes this a pass for me. Bye fam.