TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Other than the obvious racist/derogatory terms. What are some everyday terms you hear either in real life or in the internet that bother you? I don't like the term woke as most of the time it's used as a lazy catch all to easily dismiss peoples legitimate concerns. Same with SJW ect

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads about wealthy people and corporations on here made me never want to see the phrase "boot licker" again.

Oct 30, 2017
"<food> washed down with a <drink of something>"

super gross. stop saying it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like to be referred to as a "Person of Color"(lol).

Shipping

"We" - when sportsfans use it.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I don't like the term whataboutism because I find in a lot of cases people use it to glorify their recency bias. Even though I know it has a basis in propaganda, people have now weaponized it.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
"Problematic".

Well? Is it toxic/racist/sexist/homophobic/ableist? There's a word to define what you think it's wrong with something, fucking use it. "Problematic" shouldn't be a "generic word that defines something that bothers me", because otherwise I think you're concern trolling.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
"Welp."

Also I'm probably the only person on earth to think this, but lol and lm(f)ao, especially when used at the end of the sentence without interpunction. i dunno it just makes you sound like an idiot lol

Maybe because lol is an actual word in Dutch? It's like people randomly ending sentences with "fun" (since that's what it means in Dutch) even if it doesn't grammatically fit at all.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Calling movies "flicks".

Kinda dumb since "movie" is as belittling a term when you actually think about it, but "flick" just bothers me for some reason.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Overrated irks the hell out of me. I always picture a person who so far up their own ass they think their farts smell better than Chanel perfume or something.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Dozen". It comes from the French "douzaine", but French people don't use groupings of 12, we use groupings of 10, "dizaine", which sounds very close and just makes more sense to me. So even in English, I'll say "tens of [something]" and never "dozens". In the vast majority of cases, 12 ends up just being an oddly specific number that doesn't deserve to be so commonly used to refer to tens of something.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once I saw a movie where I was chilling with some pals while we reflected on things. I'd just finished telling my gal that it wasn't her, it was me, when she said she'd been planning to cancel me anyway. I figured it was time to show off my GOAT best hype and trash the three months we'd been together a bit.

Welp, that turned out to be problematic. When I was done she blew me off with a chef's kiss motion, said she could care less about what I thought and ultimately it is what it is.

That burned my biscuits. I said "What about when you dated Rodney? Were you happier then?" But she said that was whataboutism. I tried shipping us back together, but much like when the Seattle Mariners played last season and we sucked on ice, she wasn't having it.

Then I had an idea. "Hot take," I said, "why don't we share some popcorn or pizza pie and wash it down with some Coke?" She called me a bootlicker for the soda corporations and said she'd never set foot in my man cave again. :(

It was an overrated flick anyway. Long story short all I have left is my growth hacking strategies biz. Yikes. What a hill I chose to die on.

Which I suppose is my answer.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Once I saw a movie where I was chilling with some pals while we reflected on things. I'd just finished telling my gal that it wasn't her, it was me, when she said she'd been planning to cancel me anyway. I figured it was time to show off my GOAT best hype and trash the three months we'd been together a bit.

Welp, that turned out to be problematic. When I was done she blew me off with a chef's kiss motion, said she could care less about what I thought and ultimately it is what it is.

That burned my biscuits. I said "What about when you dated Rodney? Were you happier then?" But she said that was whataboutism. I tried shipping us back together, but much like when the Seattle Mariners played last season and we sucked on ice, she wasn't having it.

Then I had an idea. "Hot take," I said, "why don't we share some popcorn or pizza pie and wash it down with some Coke?" She called me a bootlicker for the soda corporations and said she'd never set foot in my man cave again. :(

It was an overrated flick anyway. Long story short all I have left is my growth hacking strategies biz. Yikes. What a hill I chose to die on.

noice

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

source.gif

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

You didn't end the last sentence with "lol".

tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017

tenor18gwk07.gif

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
"Webinar" AAAAAARRRGGHH!!!!

Also, a lot of words that have really become a thing due to the political mess the world (& the US) is in. "Nothingburger", "Snowflake", "triggered".

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Cringe is another term I don't like.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
"Human capital" and all those other HR / tech bro phrases used to devalue their workers and cloud the extent they contribute to a company's success.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
This is probably a colloquialism but I find it slightly annoying when people describe things - mostly the weather - as very mild. Its either mild or its not - mild is not something that can be extreme as the very suggests.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I've always really disliked phrases along the line of 'They lost their battle with cancer'.

To me it always sounds like the person failed in some way, and that if they had tried a bit harder then they wouldn't have died. I've lost a few relatives in this way and the phrase absolutely drives me nuts.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

What have you done?!

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hate the term "life hack"

Nothing about peeling a banana backwards is a hack, not does it drastically improve your life.

Oct 30, 2017
"Problematic".

Well? Is it toxic/racist/sexist/homophobic/ableist? There's a word to define what you think it's wrong with something, fucking use it. "Problematic" shouldn't be a "generic word that defines something that bothers me", because otherwise I think you're concern trolling.

i agree but "toxic" has the exact same problem. it's just a non-descriptive stand-in for "bad" that tries to signal something else.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a professor that would say "literally" when it wasn't called for like 70 plus times a class. A couple of us counted.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

Should've waited for a few pages. That would've been a capital story.

En Avant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
"YAAAASSS QUEEN! SLAY!!!" and other rpdr/drag terminology, especially when people use it in response to Trans folk.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
"Webinar" AAAAAARRRGGHH!!!!

Also, a lot of words that have really become a thing due to the political mess the world (& the US) is in. "Nothingburger", "Snowflake", "triggered".
I was talking to a friend of mine about something political and used the word "nothingburger", and they didn't know what it meant. They don't browse Era, but they know of it and assumed I was using a word Era made up.

"What is that? Some word people on ResetEra use?"

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Moist

It doesn't really bother me but I know it makes a lot of people cringe for some reason.