captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
EVs do not live in a vaccum.
no, no they don't. But thye are vacuuming up sales for BMW, Mercedes, audi.

I've said it before but I an dmany others couldn't care less about fancy wood trim and shit in a car when the seats are less comfortable than my model 3 and less fun to drive. And then you get into the expensive ass maintenance of German cars.
I suspect it will likely drop after Q1 and be moderate until Q3 again. I'm happy to be wrong but I could see a lot of people dancing on Tesla's grave for awhile between March and June again. People love to shit on Tesla and anything that's not smashing records is met with FUD.
came to post model Y deliveries are gonna start by end of a 3,but that was in the earnings report. Seriously though model Y should be a bigger success than the 3.
but guys i thought Tesla's days were numbered
funny none of those people can be found in any Tesla threads anymore.

Everyone says that Tesla is ahead of everyone else, but when most cars are electric I don't think it will matter. At that point you're no longer selling to early adopters and enthusiasts, but are selling to the general public. By that point the technology will have advanced to the
Who exactly do you think is buying model 3s?

There's four other model 3s at my kids school. And we live in a middle class suburb of Houston.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla is going to continue to be a dominant force for a long time to time. Probably should have doubled down on the stock a few days ago back when it dipped to the low 500s but oh well.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
no, no they don't. But thye are vacuuming up sales for BMW, Mercedes, audi.

I've said it before but I an dmany others couldn't care less about fancy wood trim and shit in a car when the seats are less comfortable than my model 3 and less fun to drive. And then you get into the expensive ass maintenance of German cars

I was told it's game over for Tesla once the Germans and Jaguar start making EVs.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize Tesla is way more than a car company. There's so much upside in their lines of business that people are factoring into the crazy valuation.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there a stocksERA?

There is, but it's extremely inactive. It has less than 200 post and was created almost 2 years ago.

I think the only active general purpose "investment" thread is the one that's focused around crypto's

I was told they'd be out of business within the next few months. Seriously Gatti-man was saying that literally last January.

One could have a lot of fun digging through old Tesla threads to see the completely out of touch with reality posts that got made in every Tesla thread

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Just watched 2 analysts from different firms give interviews on Bloomberg, and they've bumped their price targets to the $800-900 range. I was watching some of the more prominent pro-Tesla youtube channels leading up to this call, and it's pretty remarkable how far ahead of the game they really are. Mercedes has said that Tesla's acquisition of Grohmann Engineering has impacted their ability to manufacture battery packs. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Tesla is going to end up supplying the old ICE behemoths either with batteries and/or software in the future. That's going to be big.

Feb 1, 2018
Just watched 2 analysts from different firms give interviews on Bloomberg, and they've bumped their price targets to the $800-900 range. I was watching some of the more prominent pro-Tesla youtube channels leading up to this call, and it's pretty remarkable how far ahead of the game they really are. Mercedes has said that Tesla's acquisition of Grohmann Engineering has impacted their ability to manufacture battery packs. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Tesla is going to end up supplying the old ICE behemoths either with batteries and/or software in the future. That's going to be big.

They're gonna be the Apple of cars/sustainable energy products

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to buy TSLA at $160 but found out that because I'm an American citizen living in Germany I couldn't unless I started filing taxes in the US even though I've never worked or lived there... Couldn't be arsed to do that just to buy some dumb stocks.
Boy am I starting to regret my laziness....

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017

Thats always been their end goal. They become the energy supplier/manufacturer. Its really the only way to have a dependable positive cash flow for the future.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to buy TSLA at $160 but found out that because I'm an American citizen living in Germany I couldn't unless I started filing taxes in the US even though I've never worked or lived there... Couldn't be arsed to do that just to buy some dumb stocks.

Pretty sure you need to do taxes as an American living abroad anyway.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Thats always been their end goal. They become the energy supplier/manufacturer. Its really the only way to have a dependable positive cash flow for the future.

Tesla is going to be making a lot more battery packs for their upcoming vehicles like Model Y and the truck.

It's going to be challenging just to make enough batteries for their products.

All their competitors seem to be sourcing battery packs from LG, who also seems to be maxed out on production.

It's going to be a competitive market among all the battery manufacturers.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it will likely drop after Q1 and be moderate until Q3 again.

I felt that way too until Elon's investor conference call last night. Battery day is likely in April, right around the Q1 report, I'm wondering if that is now on purpose to offset possible middling Q1 earnings?

If battery day is groundbreaking news then the stock might actually jump way up again after Q1.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
With 7 million shares traded already in like 25 mins stock is hovering around $645 so doesn't look like the crazy jump after hours was a fluke

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i tried to buy tesla stock in like 2014 i even click the "buy button" or so i thought. I literally never do trading, which should tell you how much i believed in tesla, but i definitely believed in Tesla even back then. Apparently it never bought the stock for me. :(

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I felt that way too until Elon's investor conference call last night. Battery day is likely in April, right around the Q1 report, I'm wondering if that is now on purpose to offset possible middling Q1 earnings?

If battery day is groundbreaking news then the stock might actually jump way up again after Q1.
im just curious why people keep saying potential middling q1 earnings?
They're ramping up china, which as i understand the orders are completly full for q1 and any new order is now scheduled for q2. Plus Model Y is going to start getting delivered pretty much any day now. Plus the rest of their sales for the quarter.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They're ramping up china, which as i understand the orders are completly full for q1 and any new order is now scheduled for q2. Plus Model Y is going to start getting delivered pretty much any day now. Plus the rest of their sales for the quarter.

I think Q1 was so bad last year that it would be wise to assume the worst. Demand does look incredibly strong, Model 3 is basically sold out for the quarter already. The only headwinds are they sold 112k in Q4 but only produced 105k so they basically entered Q1 with no test drive vehicles or inventory so that will hurt profitability and margins to replenish, as well as virus concerns in a China setting the Model 3 production ramp back a week or two, which would only mean 1-2k delayed but still. I don't think it will be as strong as Q4 but probably still post a profit and deliver well over 100k

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

The automotive sector typically has sluggish sales in Q1 of the year. Even Tesla did last year, so I expect them to do okay for Q1 2020 but I also expect a slight down quarter, particularly when compared to last night. The new China plant temporarily closing for the corona virus will have an impact in Q1 too.

However, while I feel Q1 will be middling, I'm also pretty certain their Q2-Q4 2020 numbers will be exceedingly awesome. TSLA will likely be around $800-$1000 by year end.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
cool way to sidestep talking about any of teslas flaws
what flaws?

i said i dont give a rats ass about fancy trim and other bullshit. For *ME* the model 3 is perfect. And their sales tell you, maybe, people don't give as much of a shit about fancy trims and other bullshit as you think they do.
The car is a more fun drive than any bmw or audi i've ever driven. Which is one of the key things i think people buy luxury cars like that for. It has better seats, which, again for me is more important if i'm taking a road trip. I don't want the burning ass you get from sitting for 3+ hours.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EVs do not live in a vaccum.

Yah, that Vacuum:

Tesla-Model-3-vs-Luxury-Car-Sales-Q2-2019.png

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, Ark Invest put out an updated price target range covering the bear to bull cases they see - https://ark-invest.com/research/tesla-price-target

Bear Case - 1.5k
Median target - 2.7k
Bull Case - 15k

Hope they're right in their high estimates. Still though, probably gonna keep my expectations closer to their bear case numbers than their bull case numbers, because holy shit lol. Gonna be absolutely hilarious to watch them talk about that bull case number on CNBC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So uh, Ark Invest put out an updated price target range covering the bear to bull cases they see - https://ark-invest.com/research/tesla-price-target

Bear Case - 1.5k
Median target - 2.7k
Bull Case - 15k

Hope they're right in their high estimates. Still though, probably gonna keep my expectations closer to their bear case numbers than their bull case numbers, because holy shit lol. Gonna be absolutely hilarious to watch them talk about that bull case number on CNBC

Tesla-price-target-scenarios_ARK-Invest-1500x805.png

It should be noted that Arks max best case scenario price target if Tesla is strictly an EV company is $3,400. It's if they launch the autonomous robo taxi network that suddenly the price target spikes to $15k+...and I tend to agree, that is the holy grail goose that lays the golden egg potential most valuable company in history type thing.

People are silly to dismiss Ark, they are best in business at analyzing disruption and tech growth companies imo. They actually put experts from different fields, like for example they have a former Nvidia engineer to analyze chips, who was blown away by Tesla's FSD chip. A battery expert, a nueral net expert etc all covering Tesla. Most firms still have a generic "auto analyst" covering Tesla, which is why they and most of Wall Street is so laughably wrong...they have zero understanding of what they are even looking at and you just end up with the silly comparisons to Ford and VW etc, completely worthless.

Great interview with their CEO today She's a freaking Rockstar:

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Damn, I'm about to go buy some ARK ETFs now. They're killing it.

Yeah I hold the flagship ARKK which combines all their platforms, but I've been looking into the ones for finance, genetics, robots & autonomy, and internet to hold separately. Tesla is their top holding 10% in the ARKK, the robot and autonomy, and internet I believe. What's nice is they keep it balanced, no holding will go above the set threshold, so a stock like Tesla that's very turbulent I assume they do a better job of buying low and selling high than I ever could.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Yeah I hold the flagship ARKK which combines all their platforms, but I've been looking into the ones for finance, genetics, robots & autonomy, and internet to hold separately. Tesla is their top holding 10% in the ARKK, the robot and autonomy, and internet I believe. What's nice is they keep it balanced, no holding will go above the set threshold, so a stock like Tesla that's very turbulent I assume they do a better job of buying low and selling high than I ever could.
Thanks for this.... I may buy some of this arkk stuff.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The stock is literally out of control, lol. Feels like one of those things that will be included in a montage in The Big Short 2 as an example of the extreme speculation and "it's all fine, we're rich!" attitude right before an impending crash.*

*I'm not saying this is going to happen, it just gives me those vibes.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$702.63 high so far.... But who's keeping track :) Wondering what everyone that said it was overvalued at $450, and $500, and $550 etc are thinking now?

I don't think it's overvalued, however I kinda feel like the current run up in the stock value has been insanely nutty, and that at some point there's gotta be a pretty noticeable pull back. Then again, I kinda figured that would happen when it hit like 450 lol

More than happy to be part of the ride until any such eventuality though :P

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't think it's overvalued, however I kinda feel like the current run up in the stock value has been insanely nutty, and that at some point there's gotta be a pretty noticeable pull back. Then again, I kinda figured that would happen when it hit like 450 lol

More than happy to be part of the ride until any such eventuality though :P

I thought for sure the pull back would happen at $500 and I'm about as bullish as you can get. It's finding a new valuation after being artificially held down the past 4 years by short seller and corporate media FUD, people are waking up and this is one hell of a coiled spring that is exploding. The new trading range could end up being around $1200 for all anyone knows at this point.. Or it could bounce hard off $750 who knows

Jeez just hit $718 while I was typing that lol

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought for sure the pull back would happen at $500 and I'm about as bullish as you can get. It's finding a new valuation after being artificially held down the past 4 years by short seller and corporate media FUD, people are waking up and this is one hell of a coiled spring that is exploding. The new trading range could end up being around $1200 for all anyone knows at this point.. Or it could bounce hard off $750 who knows

Jeez just hit $718 while I was typing that lol

I feel like the most likely upcoming moment for a pull back is probably q1 earnings. Especially if the corona virus ends up having a noticeable impact on the giga shanghai manufacturing numbers due to the government mandated closure

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why did I sell. Got sick of the stock living and dying by Elon's tweets and am very much paying the price. If I held my Tesla would be paid off.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why did I sell. Got sick of the stock living and dying by Elon's tweets and am very much paying the price. If I held my Tesla would be paid off.

Yeah I can relate, sold some(thank god it was just a fraction) at $365 to pay for my Model 3 down payment thinking it would bounce off that like it had for years... And yeah my car would be paid off amd then some too if I waited 7 weeks... Oh well hindsight is 20/20

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the most likely upcoming moment for a pull back is probably q1 earnings. Especially if the corona virus ends up having a noticeable impact on the giga shanghai manufacturing numbers due to the government mandated closure

Maybe, but keep in mind that "battery day" will be about the same time as the Q1 earnings, and that just might offset any negativity due to the virus and Q1.

It sure is volatile right now. I have a hunch it will pull back gradually between now and April, but then it will explode up again after battery day news. I'm personally looking to buy even more shares if it does dip between now and April. If not then I'll just sit on the shares I have for the next couple years. I'm certainly not selling for a very long time.