Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like they're complaining a lot about things that will never affect or come in to play for 99% of people. Seems like fear mongering to get you to buy from the big 3 instead.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Build quality is shockingly bad. I couldn't believe the part where they had just glued extra felt strips onto the window frame. There are also numerous safety concerns highlighted, like opening the hood and the lack of a mechanical release on the rear doors. Lawsuits are on the horizon.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the video. Appalling on the part of the expert.

- The engine leeds thing seems legit.
- The one hand operation thing was purely his preference and didn't seem hard at ALL, not sure why this was brought up in a tear down, seemed unnecessary.
- Why are they grilling the car for not having a second release in the rear when pretty much no othercars have a secondary release in the first place? Then they use the hyperbole of them having to crawl through the trunk (which, again, not every existing car has that as an option either), while also ignoring that they could go through the front, too?
- Criticizing closing effort of the trunk for escaping.. which is not the same as the release which is what you will be using when you try to get out?
- He doesn't know anything about the emergency cut-through areas about the car, but presents his opinion anyways.
- Random jabs at bodywork too far in some places, too close in others, etc.

It's not just biased, it's pretty flagrantly so when they're making such dumb arguments. Even if you hadn't told me these guys consult for the Big Three, I'd begin to suspect it.

I've never been in a car where you couldn't mechanically open the rear doors. Is that like a thing in electric cars, or what?

And the fitting issues make it look like a rush job with awful quality control.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like they're complaining a lot about things that will never affect or come in to play for 99% of people. Seems like fear mongering to get you to buy from the big 3 instead.

ding ding ding, but hey people wanna circlejerk cuz "I hear musk too much on internet! so he bad!"

Build quality is shockingly bad. I couldn't believe the part where they had just glued extra felt strips onto the window frame. There are also numerous safety concerns highlighted, like opening the hood and the lack of a mechanical release on the rear doors. Lawsuits are on the horizon.

yeah i'm sure they are; because multi million dollar company is bunch of morons who don't have any lawyers and morons, but you guys are geniuses of course

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Tesla and Toyota partnered on the batteries and drivetrain for 6 years up until last year when toyota got out of the agreement.
Not sure what you are getting at but Toyota basically did this because they saw Tesla rise from being a non-threatening testbed of electrical vehicle technology into a serious competitor who had essentially pushed past Toyota in both mind-share and practical implementation. Unfortunate for them to have sold the shares when they did as that value has almost doubled since that sale.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you are getting at but Toyota basically did this because they saw Tesla rise from being a non-threatening testbed of electrical vehicle technology into a serious competitor who had essentially pushed past Toyota in both mind-share and practical implementation. Unfortunate for them to have sold the shares when they did as that value has almost doubled since that sale.

Getting at its not like Tesla blazed this heroic EV technology trail on their own like a previous poster insinuated

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
My in laws bought a top of the line model x that had so many issues as well. In terms of raw body work, a shop quoted over 7GRAND, for a car which was brand new and rolled off the lot.

What I will say is that I've seen Teslas service has been pretty good. They'll take care of everything if you'll settle for that. My in laws did not, so they purchased the car back and are giving them another one.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
ding ding ding, but hey people wanna circlejerk cuz "I hear musk too much on internet! so he bad!"

yeah i'm sure they are; because multi million dollar company is bunch of morons who don't have any lawyers and morons, but you guys are geniuses of course

Why are you reacting so angrily, do you not think these are valid points? What if you were in an accident that disabled the power to the rear doors, and you needed to evacuate an unconscious person or child from the back seat. Imagine the car was on fire. Having no mechanical release in the rear is inexcusable.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
electronic systems should not overtake mechanical, that's such a glaring oversight.

someone needs to tell musk that limitation breeds creativity.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I thought Toyota bet on hydrogen not electric cars as well.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
While I thought he was overly critical in some areas, the guy that points out the issues is very knowledgeable.

He runs a company that specializes in tearing down production cars and estimating costs and production processes.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people in here are VERY defensive. Of a billionaire's car company...? Or maybe we're seeing who has Model 3 pre-order and who doesn't.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give two shits if this guy has bias or not. The body work is trash and that would drive me fucking off the wall for a premium vehicle.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Um, a firm that has ties to big 3 Auto says Tesla is bad? Can we get unbiased review? Consumer reports?

Yuri_G

Oct 30, 2017
No one cared about panel gaps until Tesla came along. You can find them on any car if you look close enough. People have run out of things to nitpick.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Do the rear doors not have an emergency mechanical release like the front doors? Seems like something that would be legally required.

E: Apparently not according to electrek. That seems like a legit safety issue. What if the driver is unconscious?

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Um, a firm that has ties to big 3 Auto says Tesla is bad? Can we get unbiased review? Consumer reports?

Here you go, courtesy of last page.

This info isn't new or surprising. Even Consumer Reports highlighted the problems with Tesla for years, and only recently raised the reliability of the Model S to "above average" late last year.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-tesla-reliability-doesnt-match-its-high-performance/ from 2015
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...tisfaction/tesla-model-s-model-3-reliability/ last year, also their speculation on Model 3's reliability

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you reacting so angrily, do you not think these are valid points? What if you were in an accident that disabled the power to the rear doors, and you needed to evacuate an unconscious person or child from the back seat. Imagine the car was on fire. Having no mechanical release in the rear is inexcusable.

Your question has been asked more than once in this thread, with no response except for one (laughable) answer that it won't effect 98% of the people. That's the whole reason Democrats have been fighting so hard for regulations of industries such as this, is for the safety of everyone - including the 1-2% of people that a rollover/entrapment/unconsciousness situation could happen to. It's the Right's side to suggest that it will cost big companies money to require nitpicky safety features that won't effect 98% of the people that use a product - wasted money that could go into CEO's pockets. But now suddenly a large percentage of forum members in this thread thinks it's nitpickey or "Big Three Bias" to point out obvious major safety flaws that won't effect 99% of owners. Wow...

Last edited:

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope nobody gets shocked to death while saving a life when an inevitable accident happens. Those are some scary flaws for first responders.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that Tesla is forcing the big automakers to focus more on EVs than they would have, especially the Germans because the Model S is stealing sales from their flagships. I like Elon Musk's attitude and focus on futurism, despite his flaws as a person (we all have them).

However, I don't understand why Tesla fanboys can't cope with the fact that the company makes some incredibly shitty decisions and performs some incredibly shoddy work in the name of progress at all costs. It comes with the territory of your reach exceeding your grasp. Stories about medicore build quality and questionable design decisions come out monthly with this company. From the poorly tooled robots at the factory, to the customer who received a brand new, $100,000 car with a cracked A-pillar and Tesla offered to repair it instead of replacing the vehicle, to the countless other fit and finish issues, missed deadlines, and service/repair wait-time problems.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
The defence force here is just weird. Can you guys not accept that something may be flawed? It's a good thing people point out these flaws and make it public, it will force Tesla to rethink some of their choices and hold them accountable.

Say what you will about finished, but if I noticed my 50k+ car having these, I'd be upset. Doesn't matter if it's a Tesla, Audi, Ford or Hyundai, you expect a certain quality in this day and age, if they aren't hitting it they need to be called out, just as any other automaker would be.

Stop the silly defence force and come to grips with the fact this feedback is GOOD, it will only help with the future build quality of Tesla's to be exposed to real criticism.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's like saying that you don't need insurance because it don't affect 99% of people.
Handle bar or estetic build quality might not matter,
But security issue cannot be ignored.

Oct 25, 2017
For those brushing Sandy Munro's assessment off, Munro & Associates are highly regarded and sought after for their work. Dude knows his shit, and takes his craft seriously.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one cared about panel gaps until Tesla came along. You can find them on any car if you look close enough. People have run out of things to nitpick.

I hope you realise this is utter nonsense. Not only do I and many others I know check the body work on cars, we check for defects, paint swirls, sounds, vibrations and so on.

When I test drive a car I also push, prod, flick, poke etc elements within the exterior and interior to ensure the level of cabin and build quality, materials etc is up to snuff. If you're paying top dollar of your hard earned, and you'll be spending tens of thousands of miles and countless hours driving it, why the hell wouldn't you? If any panel is wonky, or there's an issue with the bodywork or interior etc, I'm rejecting the car unless they can fix the issue right away and guarantee the work.

Granted the Tesla Model 3 isn't exactly super expensive, but $32k is still not exactly dirt cheap either. Half decent build quality isn't something you have to look to the big 3 to deliver these days either.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, with the manufacturing process this isn't surprising. Tesla isn't really on the cutting edge on that front.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
For those brushing Sandy Munro's assessment off, Munro & Associates are highly regarded and sought after for their work. Dude knows his shit, and takes his craft seriously.
But no one is allowed to trash Tesla. If I'm paying $100,000 plus on a car I better be getting my monies worth. I should not be getting any type of panel gaps. Same thing with that window issue.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the.. Yes they do and no it isnt normal on 99% of cars. When a car gets repaired after an accident the first thing you notice is how terrible the gaps are compared to factory.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying a car lacking airbags is no big deal because 99% of the people won't use them.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
So accessing the emergency power disconnect (in an electric vehicle) requires popping a hidden hatch, pulling out some wires and using a battery to jump the trunk release...

There are so many ways that could go horribly wrong.. what if the car was upside down

They could have just put it at the base of the windshield.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah, if you're considering a Tesla, you should probably go in knowing their manufacturing experience is still very limited and there's going to be issues. Depending on the type of person you are, these could be totally liveable or complete deal-breakers.

Holy crap, this guy is dedicated.

I didnt even know car manufacturers would even look "rattle" noises your car makes. I just assumed they would laugh at you every car ive ever driven has had a rattle noise somewhere.

While i agree with his over all message, the windshield, screen and fans were the only real issues, for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, this guy is dedicated.

I didnt even know car manufacturers would even look "rattle" noises your car makes. I just assumed they would laugh at you every car ive ever driven has had a rattle noise somewhere.

While i agree with his over all message, the windshield, screen and fans were the only real issues, for me.

If every car you've driven has had rattle noises, you probably haven't been driving particularly well made or maintained cars. Obviously cars aren't going to be completely silent, especially on bumps and rough surfaces etc, where aside from the road noise, there'll usually be the odd rare or uneventful kink, clunk or tap, but consistent rattling? Certainly not. I think constant rattling would drive me mad lol.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla fans are the Apple fans of the auto industry. Any criticism whatsoever and they come out of the wood work claiming unfair bias and haters are solely responsible. Stop defending these companies FFS.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Damn that blows. I still want a Tesla, hopefully by the time I get one the build quality improves.

They're a young company so I think they'll get better.